“One Happy Honeymoon!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Malden, Massachusetts
“One Happy Honeymoon!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned at the Bucuti and Tara this past week. We chose the resort based on all of the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed! Although we were out and about all over the island on most days, we were always happy to come back to our home away from home at the Bucuti each night!

Let me start by saying that the resort was extremely accommodating by allowing us to shift our stay because of hurricane Sandy. We did have to move rooms for the final night of our stay, but the staff helped make the transition very easy.

Upon arrival via taxi, we were greeted right at the front entrance by Omar, who was extremely friendly and welcoming throughout our entire stay. He grabbed our luggage and showed us to the next stop. We were checked in efficiently at the Tara building with a cold refreshing glass of champagne and then led to our room. The door was tastefully decorated with a little sign that said "just married!" and there was a small gift bag with champagne, cheese, crackers and chocolates waiting for us. All very nice touches I thought.

We stayed in a Tara Suite on the first floor, which opened right out to the beach. The view is to die for, believe me. I would jump out of bed every morning and peek out of the curtains just to be sure it was still there! I did call the resort in advance and request the first floor, and although they told me they couldn't promise it, they made it happen for us. SO nice to just walk right out of your room onto the beach! No elevators or stairs required! As far as the humidifier and purifier, we didn't find them distracting... but we always sleep with a fan on for background noise anyway! Also worth mentioning, we didn't hear any noise from the rooms on either side of us, which I was happy about... especially with all of the honeymooners on site! One night we couldn't seem to get the AC to kick on, so we called the front desk. Mario came right over to the rescue! He explained that if the porch door isn't closed tightly the system won't work properly. He pulled the door shut tight and voila! I have to say that he was probably the most jolly and happy person I have ever met- even when we saw him interacting with his colleagues he was always laughing and seeming to have the time of his life on the job!

If you want to get a set of chairs under the umbrellas on the beach, be sure to get up early (at least 7am) to reserve them with a towel... My husband and I aren't all-day beach bum types so we were fine just throwing our towels on any open chair when we decided to head into the water. But any seat on that beach is fabulous in my opinion. The pool is also a wonderful alternative to the ocean if you want to cool down. Also, the pool is open 24/7, so we took advantage of a few late night swims.

It was great to have breakfast available every morning from 7-11. We alternated eating inside at the Tara Lounge or outside at the Pirate's Nest. I think there was a great variety of hot and cold options... we ate there every morning for a week and I didn't get bored with the breakfast food. We ate our lunches and dinners at other restaurants on the island... we tried the food at the resort on the first night and although it was good it wasn't exemplary in our opinions. We were, however, impressed with the romantic dinner on the beach- what a unique and beautiful experience! Our favorite server was Janice from Jamaica- so friendly and great sense of humor! Also Marina at the beach bar kept us smilling anytime we would grab a drink at happy hour.

There are only a couple things that we feel could use improvement. We did take advantage of the Intermezzo Spa in the Tara building for couples' massages. Although the massages themselves were wonderful, we could hear the sound of the construction outside, which was really distracting. Thankfully it was only for about 10 minutes that we could hear hammering, drilling, etc. The therapists were very apologetic about the distraction and I realize that it is out of their control, but hopefully the resort can find a way to minimize this for future guests. We also had one other issue with the concierge. We asked to book a tour of the Balashi beer plant and were told when and where to go, but were not told that we needed to where close-toed shoes and shirts with sleeves in order to enter the plant. We had rented a Jeep for the day in order to get there (in addition to other stops). The plant offers only one tour per day, and as the plant is about 20 minutes from Bucuti, we did not have enough time to go back and get the necessary clothing to join the tour. We were disappointed, but still had a great time exploring other areas of the island. We let the concierge know about the mix up and they were very apologetic,

Overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Bucuti and we plan on returning as soon as we can!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erin R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Overall great experience!

Positive - beach is never overcrowded, close to town, nice bar/food, staff is very friendly, very clean, loved the breakfast buffet!

Negative - light switches in the room are very confusing, rooms/bathrooms are small in general

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for a week late October. Having never been to Aruba before, was a bit dissapointed with first impressions from the airport, the taxi driver took us around the back streets, and when you are one block back from the beach, the houses are quite run down. Got to Bucuti quite tired after a long day's travel, and greeted by a quite officious Dutch sounding guy - no cool refreshing towels, no water bottles on check in. Got to the room, second floor of Tara, open balcony door and wow! all is forgiven! What a view! Went straight to the Sandbar and was greeted by Donald for my first beer, it's getting better! Two major defects with the room - the air con is super noisey, and the balcony door locks behind you! So you are paronoid about taking your room access card out each time you go to the balcony. Don't know why they have it like that. There was a lot of construction noise going on, which badly affects those in Bucuti with a garden view; it would have impacted your time if you stayed there; I could hear it on the beach now and then; but it will look fabulous when finished. The sea was quite rough most of the week, due to tropical storms a long way out, there is no coast guard and I saw a few elderly guests bowled over and lose their sunglasses, as the waves were breaking on the shoreline, so beware if you are not confident in the sea and the conditions are not calm. Breakfast was fabulous each day outside with the views and the warm morning breezes, the birds didnt bother us. Walk around the beach at sunset to Matthews for cocktails and dinner, it's absolutley stunning. Went to the high rise once, what an awful place! There is a convenience store on site and also a mini supermarket near by, handy for cheap wine, beer and all the small stuff you need.Had a fabulous massage in the spa, great value. The night before checkout we had an issue with front desk and kitchen, but this was promptly resolved by the assistant customer care manager, they really do take action if you have any concerns. All in all I gave it five stars because at the end we didnt want to leave, and what I saw of surrounding accommodation, nothing comes near this place.

Room Tip: You must do Tara if you can afford it
3 Thank Simla10
London

I have had time to reflect on my time at the Bucuti and Tara Beach
Firstly I would like to tell you about my arrival at the resort, this I think could of been handled better. There was no one to help me with the luggage from when I was dropped off at the pavement and this I think could be something that would be extremely helpful after a flight to Aruba.

Checking in was smooth with no problems whatsoever, it was nice to have a welcome glass of Champagne before being shown to our room.

Once shown around our room we were shown our gifts ( it was our honeymoon) some champagne flutes, cheese, ,bottle of sparkling wine etc, very nice and welcoming.

On the first evening we ate at the resort on their beach resturant, the special of the day was not available however the food I recieved was not to my liking and I was a little disappointed with the meal. But others at the resort liked the food so I think it depends on your taste!!

We had purchased a meal package vouchers that offered meals at various resturants - I would dispense with these vouchers and not purchase them, it would be just as easy to use cash or credit cards and not be restricted to a list of resturants some of which where of a very poor standard.

Back to the resort we stayed in the Tara suites which was a well appointed room and had a good view from the balcony of the beach as we were on the third floor.

one criticism of the room would be the humidifiers in the room that are noisy but you can close off the noise in the night with the screening doors, that seperate the living area from the bed room area.

The morning was good with a heartily prepared breakfast from Margarita who was a fine host although as I was staying for two weeks I would say that the breakfast after a while became a little too much of the same thing.

The beach was absolutely fantastic and i enjoyed a relaxing two weeks at this hotel over all i would recommend this hotel but if possible try to get tgo stay in the Penthouse

Room Tip: If you cannot stay in the penthouse try and get into the Tara Suite on the third floor excellent vie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mauricemaria
DC/MD
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Aruba for the first time to celebrate my birthday. Upon arrival, everything exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the Tara Suites and had an ocean view room. It was well worth the money; very quiet, and relaxing. Great view of the beach. The staff was exceptionally friendly, welcoming and accomodating. There were 3 Bucuti employees who seem to go above and beyond to please customers: Mario, Chantel and Julie Larson. Julie was our reservation agent and she helped us over the 4 months it took to plan our trip. She answered every question we had, responded in a timely manner, always seemed willing to help and make sure we had everything we needed. Julie is definitely a gem! Mario seemed to be the hardest working person at Bucuti. He helped with luggage, served champagne to arriving guests, was always available to help when anyone needed him for anything. Chantel assisted us with booking our activities. She was explained everything we needed to know and had a wonderful personality. We received a complimentary bottle of wine in our room, and a glass of champagne upon arrival. We were a little disappointed with housekeeping because it seemed as if we could only have 2 washcloths at a time. When we requested more, we were asked to give up the ones we already used as if we couldn't have more than 2 at one time.

Advice and Tips:
-Please be sure and check your bill before checkout to ensure that you were not erroneously charged (we were almost charged for breakfast although it was included in our hotel fee)
-Have someone explain how to work the buttons for the lights in the room
-Bucuti is a cashless resort so be sure to bring a credit card or be prepared to charge prices to your room
-There is no differentiation between hot and cold water in the shower or the bathroom sink
-There is a humidifier and a purifier in the room. One of them is very loud when it turns off similar to the sound of your hotel room door opening. You may want to ask if one or both can be turned off
-If you plan to visit during a time in which the time goes back or moves forward in the U.S., please be advised that the time does not change in Aruba. You will need to know this if you booked any activities
-Have someone show you to your room. For example, we were in room 314 yet we were located on the 1st floor. On the elevator, you will see the floors start with the number "0"

Room Tip: Tara Suite
4 Thank 2CuteMDchic
Mahwah
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband an I visited Aruba and stayed in the Tara suites from October 22nd until November 3rd, however, hurricane Sandy added on the last 4 days. Our flight back to Newark was canceled and we couldn't get a return flight until Saturday, we tried daily to get back north to help our loved ones, but we didn't have much success. I loved the Bucuti and Tara Suites and would definately recommend it to individuals who need to get away and relax, it is so peaceful and enjoyable. The resort brings a nice smile to your face each and everyday.

However, we were very disappointed that they only gave us a 25% discount on the room for the additional 4 nights, they could have done something better for those that were stranded, we had no control over the issue and we had to stay no matter what, they didn't have any remorse for those that were stranded. Prior to the storm hitting they weren't offering any discounts but after a couple of days they finally said OK to 25% off. My feeling is that the individuals that were supposed to fly from Newark weren't getting out so they had to cancel their rooms and we had to pick up the cost, totally unfair...Maybe we should have gone to a diffierent hotel to save money, but we didn't want to deal with the hassle so we decided to stay with the hope that the Bucuti would be more understanding and helpful with the cost.

Otherwise, we had a blast, the grounds were absolutely gorgeous. It is the only resort that isn't crowded on the beach, you have your own space to sit and enjoy the nice warm weather. The service on the beach was excellent, especially when Akeem was waiting on us. Some on the desk personal were helpful but others didn't want to be bothered with answering your questions. The congierge staff knew about all of the great restaureants in the area. A couple of our favorites were the Papiamento, Wacky Wahoos and Pizza Bobs...

The Tara Suites were just perfect, we tried to move to the Bucuti just to save a couple of bucks during our extended stay, but they didn't have any of these rooms available, of course...Let's go back to the suites, they were very spaceous and had a nice size kitchen area to keep a couple of snacks. The view from all the suites looks right at the aqua ocean, just a breath taking experience. We highly recommend staying in the suites.

We will definatly be visiting again but willnot be going during hurricaine season knowing that they don't have a heart for those that get stranded.

Room Tip: As for the bottom floor in the Tara Suites, you can walk right out your door to the pool, bar and be...
1 Thank happy587
West Orange, NJ
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our 3rd trip back to the Bucuti. As always a great reliable vacation. We love that it isn't part of the high rise area since that is so crowded normally. Staff is very accommodating. Service at the restaurants is pretty good especially considering you are in the Caribbean. No complaints except that there is a tiny bit of construction- they manage keep the noise & inconvenience on the DL though.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Betty212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!