“Your Romantic Vacation Search Stops Here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston
“Your Romantic Vacation Search Stops Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

On the flight home from Aruba seems like a good as place as any to compose my review of the Bucuti. My new wife and I just spent 8 nights in the Tara Suites for our Honeymoon. After a week plus in Aruba you come to understand that Trip Advisor is a very important part of the tourism industry there. Many of our waiters asked us to make our reviews online in order to help destinguish between the 500 plus restaurants. I'm happy to do so but I must start with the place we spent the majority of our time.

As you have probably already gathered from almost every other review the Bucuti is a couples retreat. If you are looking for an active local on-site bar with loads of people looking to schmooze with than don't pick this place. However, of all the reviews I've read about the Bucuti nobody has mentioned meeting any other guests or making any type of friendships. This actually made me nervous, as I am very social and the thought of spending 9 days with no interaction outside my own relationship seemed a bit peculiar to me. Fortunately this was not the case. We were fortunate to meet a number of couples and by the time we left we know that these relationships will last beyond our time in Aruba.

Of course, that isn't the point of this review. You want to know what makes this resort the one that you and your gal\guy need to book. So here we go…

First and foremost is the visual you get amongst the grounds of the resort. Second to none. Each area you visit is perfectly manicured and extremely pleasant on the senses. The beach is amazing, and the location of the Bucuti on Eagle Beach, based on my exploration of the island, will not be bested. The infinity pool is awesome to jump into to cool off after spending your time lounging in the warm sum. We liked to alternate between the turquoise ocean water and the pool.

Speaking of lounging… not a problem at Bucuti. There are the plentiful lounge chairs all over the beach. The lounge chairs are paired around umbrellas and are spaced throughout the beach with plenty of room in between so that the conversations between the other guests have no impact on your relaxation. The views of the ocean are perfect from all over the beach so there is no need to get up early on your vacation just to grab a seat. Plenty of spots always available for whenever you choose to come out. Plenty of padded couches, lounge chairs and even beds are available around the pool. Of course the Sand Bar offers covered and additional uncovered seating options that all offer the ocean views as well.

As the beach was our primary home for the daylight it is important to understand the red flags. These 4 foot wooden posts with red flags are stationed at all beach chairs. When you have decided to order a drink, or even lunch, all you do is jab the flag into the sand. Within a very short time one of Bucuti's very personable staff members will be right there to grab your order. Fun and easy. Towel service is also a very easy part of your day. Just bring your towel card to the attendant and you are provided with 4 beach towels. At the end of your beach day just return the towels and get your card. Now you are ready for the next day.

As the accommodations were convened we had a Tara Suite and didn't see any of the other rooms. Ours was perfect. We were also located on the southern side of the building which meant our balcony had additional uninstructed views of the pool and southern beach as well as the beach directly in front of us. From this location we toasted the sunset almost every night. Large closet, easy and secure safe, 3 HD televisions (including the one built into the bathroom mirror), wet bar with very cold fridge, and a king bed were the other pieces that made the room great. And we must not forget that the free Wi-Fi reaches all the way to the beach.

Food. The included breakfast was the best I've ever seen at a hotel. Plenty of healthy options for people that were not indulging as I was. Scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast, breads, bagels, bacon, sausage, cold cuts, cheeses, and smoked salmon were available every day with a different special each day. I never ran out of energy sleeping on lounge chairs in the sun. The breakfast was available inside at one location and also outside at the restaurant as well. We did the romantic dinner on the beach as part of our honeymoon package, which was a five-course meal that left us wanting for nothing. A hidden gem was the burgers available at the Sand Bar at lunch. I had one delivered to me on the beach and concluded I had missed having passed through the Pearly Gates.

Bucuti's environmentally conscious environment in no way effected my stay.

The gym also didn't effect my stay as I only saw it from afar, which was close enough.

With all that being said, where Bucuti takes itself to the next level is in the staff that they employ. From housekeeping to management they all make you feel like they are so happy you chose their resort. Here I have to mention something else that was unexpected. It feels like every staff member is given lessons in photography. Any time my wife and I are looking to take an awkward self portrait there was sure to be a staff member there to offer to take the photo. From our regular camera to my iPhone they never missed a beat.

In discussing the staff it is apparent that the guests all seemed to make special bonds with the various members of Bucuti's crew, and we were no exception. I want to take this time to acknowledge those individuals that made our trip that much more special and will not be forgotten.

Jamal, although new to Bucuti, was fantastic. I think he was the first I met on day 1 and was there to send me off on day 9. (Also responsible for bringing the drinks and burgers to the beach)

Leonard! All he really did for us was show us how to turn on the lights in the room, but from that point on I felt like he was an old buddy of mine and we had been busting each others' chops for years.

Beverly, for providing more smiles and good cheer than she did towels. Which is saying a lot considering the amount of towels going around. Always a great experience to start the beach day and to end it.

Anki and Madeline were on everyone's friend list so long as you leaned on them at the Concierge desk. We stopped by daily for recommendations and reservations for dinner.
It is partly their fault that my bathing suit barely fit by the end of our trip due to making sure we were hitting the best restaurants. We were mentioning to one of our cab drivers the places we had been and he referred to us as the "poster board for doing Aruba right." Obviously we were doing something right.

Angelo, for fixing our AC quickly and with a smile.

The crowning moment of Bucuti's 5-Star Customer Service came midway through our visit. My wife had only one book downloaded to her Nook (similar to a Kindle). At the time she finished it (and at this point do I even need to mention it was the 50 Shades of Grey) she was looking to download a new one. The problem was that the iPads and such redirect you to the Internet to complete the Wi-Fi connection, but the Nook doesn't have that ability. We took the problem to Madeline, who immediately got the IT guy, Carlo, to discuss with us. When we told him the issue he appeared to be very concerned that we were stuck. He took our room number and said he would research the issue and get back to us. At that time it didn't look good. However, 20 minutes later, as we were at the beach she just gave it a try. He already had fixed the problem... Honeymoon + 50 Shades of Grey = Happy Wife = Happy Life!

14 Thank BunkerRoberge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,234)
  • Hungarian first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Rather than staying in a high rise that was all inclusive we decided to stay here. It was the best decision my husband has made (besides me of course. ha). The staff is so warm and welcoming it almost seems like family.

The food was great the rooms were clean. I can honestly say the amazing pictures on their site don't even do the place justice. It really is that clean and beautiful. We were surprised that there was a free breakfast and happy hour TWICE a day. The breakfast was a very large buffet with the option to have eggs made the way you'd like it. The only somewhat negative thing is the black birds. If you leave your food for a second they will swarm your table. We found it funnier than anything. You really can't complain about it. They try their best and it's nature. After all you are staying at a eco friendly hotel so you shouldn't complain but appreciate nature. I believe the Tara building has the same breakfast feature and you sit completely inside. The lizzards and iguanas around the hotel are harmless. They stay away. However there is this one little old dude that will walk right up to you if your standing there. They are 100% harmless. They also have a parrot named Pocco and a smaller bird named Jesse. Both were rescued and Pocco is just awesome. He'll dance and speak 4 different languages.

The spa was wonderful!! We has a massage when we first got there and before we left. The rates are well worth the massage.

The beach was the cleanest beach I've ever been to. If you would like to order drinks or food you have the option to raise a red flag pole and a staff member will come take care of you. We actually met a few people that walked from the high rise all inclusive and were blown away by the Bucuti's beach and beach bar. They loved it so much more than their hotel (that drinks and food were included!) they actually came every day to relax at the Bucuti and have some drinks/food.

The women sitting at the concierge desk were so helpful! They always had a smile on their face and no matter how many questions we'd ask they'd happily answer. Definitely do the Sunset Sail ( beers and drinks on the boat are included), ABC half day tour to the natural pool, eat at Madame Janettes, Screaming Eagle, Matthews. Best Casino is at the Marriott ($9 cab ride).

We met a ton of couples on their honeymoon and had a wonderful time. If you're looking for a place for your wedding or honeymoon I highly suggest this place. It's not all inclusive but we figured we spent about the same staying at the hotel, drinking multiple drinks a day AND eating at various restaurants around Aruba. They also have a "Buy a guest a gift"...you can put that on your wedding website or create a card for your shower invitations. We had friends purchase champagne, wine, massage & romantic dinner. They can also purchase gift certificates that can go towards whichever you would like at the hotel.

If you are looking for a "party" scene Bucuti is not that. It's very laid back and at night they have a steel drum player that sets the Island mood. However taxi's are always outside waiting so you can always go to another hotel or Senor Frogs by the high rise hotels.

I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a garden room view and it was perfect. You really do not spend much time in the rooms except...
6 Thank Melissa M
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We planned our vacation 6 months ago and I checked tripadvisor weekly to see other peoples reviews. I wondered if it was really true, could a place be so nice? Well we are back from our vacation and I can honestly say the reviews are very accurate. The resort is quiet and nicely kept. The beach is the cleanest beach I have ever seen. The adults only policy is GREAT! Just go down to the high rise area of the island and you will want to go running back to Bucuti.
The rooms at Bucuti are very nice. The housekeeping staff was always quick to clean the room. If you are a light sleeper (I am) the dehumidifier can be a little irratating but its real simple....Just turn it off or close the sliding doors which seperate the living room from the bedroom.
The meals at Bucuti are good but dinners can get expensive and you may want a little more variety. Try Matthews on the Beach which is a short walking distance from the hotel. Also try the pizza place directly across the road. One night we did take a cab ride to Drift Tide restaurant. The restaurant was very nice and food was wonderful. We did mistakingly wander a few streets away from the restaurant after dark. That is not advisable. There were no issues but probably not the smartest thing for any tourist to do.
If you find your way to Baby Beach I would also recommend Costa Riba Restaurant. This is just a little local bar but the food and service was wonderful. Try some local beer, Balashi, it is much cheaper then the American beers that they have to import in.

I would recommend renting a jeep for a few days. You will want to get out and explore. I would highly recommend visiting the donkey reserve. We stopped at the grocery store and got $20 worth of carrots. I wish I had gotten more. It was very fun to learn about the donkeys and feed them. The donkeys loved the attention. They do not charge an admission fee to see the donkeys but a donation should be left.
You should also make your way to the National Park. There are some beautiful rocks and cliffs on that side of the island.

Room Tip: Tara Suites with a beach view. The view is wonderful and the best part of the morning is simply sit...
3 Thank AnnKVirginia
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

There are lots of nice hotels in Aruba, but the little things add up to a solid win over the big high-rise guys for the Bucuti: best beach, by far (spacious, uncrowded, no kids, perfect sand/water, always chairs available), nice servers/staff, and fair prices (e.g., mini-bar food prices were less than in the U.S. for same Oreos etc.), with wi-fi, full breakfast and taxes included in the room price (do the math; this adds up to a +/- $65 a night savings over some of the other hotels). That said, if you want high-rise madness this is a quiet romantic place, so be warned.

As to "to Tara or not"; we stayed in a deluxe ocean view (room 219) versus the Tara and used the price difference for a nice dinner every night. In fact, the beach on the Bucuti side (non-Tara side) is nicer in my opinion (of course you can use either side regardless of where you stay) as it has far more palm trees, the chair/umbrella setups are "random" (not in lines) and more private and you dont have a high-rise right next to you to look at. Plus, you can see the bar, pool and other cool areas. We looked at a Tara room and yes, it is a bit nicer and bigger, but it has the same basic look and feel as a deluxe room and we were never in our room anyway.

Thanks for an amazing honeymoon and can't wait to return.

5 Thank ExRIGuy
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

my husband and I went to the bucuti for 5 nights, we are both 29 and have been married a few years. Note - I rarely write these kinds of reviews, and i think the bucuti really deserves it.

Arrival - flights to aruba from boston are easy - get to the airport and hop in the next cab that pulls up. head to the bucuti for a swift check in. bags are brought to your room, if you need a tour they will give you one.

the room - perfect. clean, clean, clean. tons of space, your own balcony with bistro set, robes to use, comfy bed, AC, awesome aruba aloe products (i borught some to bring back home because they smelled so great), mini fridge and microwave. pick up your own booze and keep it cool in your room.

the resort - breakfast was awesome, we never had problems getting towels or chairs, it is quiet - i thought i wanted something more lively, until i experiences the peacefulness of this resort. everyone else is chill as well. this is not the highrise area - it has a more european feel, and the beautiful beach is much nicer than the high rise area. We rented a car from the conceirge - simple and easy. go explore the island a bit - and then return to this wonderful resort to rest your eyes. You can walk to a bunch of restaurants & other beach side resorts right from the bucuti. warning though - the service at the neighboring resorts are not like bucuti - nor is the quality. I love that the bucuti is an eco friendly resort - bottled water is a giant waste of $ and resources - drink the water in aruba - it is perfect. There is 1 pool & 1 bar - that is all you really need.

Aruba in general - i was a bit worried about food prices, but they are comparable to eating in any US city (i work in boston, and for lunch it is hard to go out for <$13). We went mid june - no crowds!

Room Tip: ask for garden facing - you might see the ocean.
4 Thank LaurShaf
Germantown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just returned from a one week stay at the Baccuti. The property is impeccably maintained and the staff is very attentive and friendly. It is just the right size and very relaxing. The beach was gorgeous and tranquil. The food was wonderful and the sunset dinner on the beach was very romantic. The breakfast buffet was well put together. Nakarid the hostess was so prompt and efficient. She was very friendly and always remembered us. The Baccuti is definitely a place I will stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tara suites. Our balacony faced the ocean and the view was stunning. Worth the upgr...
2 Thank Linda329Germantown
Marysville, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a Tara suite from June 16'th to June 24'th. This hotel is on the most beautiful and most peaceful beach in Aruba. The hotel's adults only policy allows you to relax and enjoy the gorgeous view. The staff was friendly, attentive and efficient. The food was good and The Sand Bar was a fun place to enjoy drinks and ocean breezes. This hotel is a gem. We had a tranquil and romantic vacation at The Bucuti.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank kpg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,682 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,551 reviews
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,307 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,810 reviews
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,131 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!