“Nice hotel, EXCELLENT pool, had a great time!”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Me and my husband stayed at the Surf Club June 14-21. We got a room in the Lighthouse tower, on the 12th floor, which was nice because we could see over all the other hotels; had a great view of the ocean and even the ocean on the other side of the island! The only problem was that one of the elevators was out the entire time we were there. A little annoying having to wait so long, but, hey, we were on vacation, not in a big hurry to get anywhere! Great time to visit Aruba - not too many kids, as most were'nt out of school yet, and never had trouble getting a chair at the pool, even in the afternoon (or a table at dinner, for that matter!) The pool is AWESOME! Spent so much time hanging in the lazy river. Definitely stop by the grocery store and get your own beverages to bring to the pool - the drinks are pretty expensive, even during happy hour, and they don't mind if you bring your own. The water bottles you buy on the kuckoo kunuku bus are great for bringing drinks into the pool! Had great service from the staff - asking if we needed drinks or apps at the pool, very helpful at the front desk with directions, info, change, and never passed a staff member near a door without them holding it open for you. Was a little weird that they didn't clean your unit while you're there, but i know other timeshares that do that as well - although it would have been nice to have a change of bath towels half way through the week without having to pay extra for it. The restaurants at all the Marriott resorts are overpriced, and while the food is good, it is nothing that you can't get at home, and definitely not worth the price. Head out of the resort a little and you'll get a lot better quality of food, even if it is a little more expensive, it is worth it! Taking the bus downtown is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to go - the bus stop is right outside the hotel parking lot, $2.30 round trip and they come every 1/2 hour. Only takes about 15 minutes, even with all the stop and go. Much better than an $11 one way taxi ride! Definitely hit Madame Janette's for dinner - best meal we had on the island - and the kuckoo kunukoo was a blast - definitely worth it!! Also loved that the pool was open so late - we came down after dinner a few nights at 9 or 10pm and jumped into the hot tub. I would definitely stay here again. This hotel looked like it was in better shape than most on the island, at least from the outside. Room was clean with new furnishings; your typical hotel room, nothing fancy or special, but how much time are you going to spend in there anyways? Loved the down comforters, and spent most of our time in the room out on the balcony. Great if you have kids too - they love the pool and have game rooms, playgrounds etc. All the kids we saw were really well behaved and just enjoying themselves. Rent a car and see the island for a day - you can definitely see everything in one, jam packed day - go to the national park and check out the natural pool if you have 4WD, it is pretty cool.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mrssmall23
Write a ReviewReviews (2,841)

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We went to Aruba the week of Jun 4 - Jun 11. Had never been here before. Our room was on the 14 floor(top floor) over looking the pools and beach. Had a great view. We sat on our patio every morning for breakfast and would look at the whole area. We had a 2 bedroom suite. This is actually made up of a large 1 bedroom with kitchen and living and an economy room which include a bed, couch and small kitchen with microwave and a bathroom. We got the to hotel at 3:00 check in is actually 4:00 but our one bedroom part was ready so we were able to get into that and then go back later to the desk and get our keys updated to included our 2nd bedroom. Rooms are quiet large, only complaint was that our bed in the master bedroom seems to be getting a little old. My husband thought he was sleeping in a whole alot on the bed. I didn't notice it as much. My kids found you could get a password for the week to connect to the free WI-Fi in the hotel lobby. It also seemed to work right outside the lobby and back by the one pool where they were playing vollyball.

There are 3 pools and a new one is being built for adults only. The one pool is a lazy river.We spent alot of time here. We read other review about this and found that the best things is to go to Walmart at home before you leave and buy the tube for the lazy river.Best ones are the U shaped ones with the cup holder. We bought these for $5 each and they were the greatest buy. People kept asking us where we got them from. The hotel does not supply tubes for the lazy river but does have an air pump to blow them up. You can buy tubes in the gift shop but they are not as good and cost a lot more money.
As you will read from other people the way to get chairs at the pool is a bit of a pain but does work. SInce this was early June it was not as busy as I assume it is during high season. Pool tags are given when you register and are used to reserve your chairs. Chairs can be reserved starting at 7:00 in the morning. I usually didn't reserve my chairs until about 8:30 and was still able to get chairs with an umbrellas, if you only need a couple of chairs could also get these later. Of course remember this is not high season so that helped. I never saw them take tags off anyone's chair though my husband say they did ask him one day if he had seen the people that had reversed the chairs by us.
There is a rule now that you can only go to the pool for the hotel you are staying in. It use to be that the people from the Surf club could go to the pool at the Ocean club but currently there is no trading of pools. You get a wrist band that tells the staff which club you are in.
We did do some sightseeing. You can sign up for trips right at the hotel. We went on the Jeep ride had a blast. My husband and son went jet skiing. It is mostly a quiet island with not a lot to do. Most people spend the time relaxing by the pool or beach.

We did have a car so we were able to get around more by ourself. There is a mini mart near the hotel but the grocery store is about 10 minute car ride away. We went there more than once for groceries. My husband and I had dinerone night at the restaurant at the light house. It was easier with a car, we could just drive there and back. Many restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel if you don't mind walking some. .

Overall we had a great time and would go back again. The staff were all very friendly and we enjoyed our whole stay. I have already told people had home about this hotel and highly recommended it to them

4  Thank jgniadek
Reviewed June 15, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, especially the pool and beach area. The rooms are a bit small but comfortable and clean. The gym was excellent! My complaint with the hotel is that they had no cleaning service as part of the stay, you had to pay extra. You had to pay to get clean towels and soaps, etc. They had a wonderful lazy river but then they did not provide any inner tubes, you had to buy your own. Felt a little nickel and dimmed. The staff is very friendly and willing to help.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chipflorida
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I, too, own a Marriott Time Share in Hilton Head which we bought when our kids were young and have been trading around everywhere ever since. Most times we stay at a Marriott and most times we have had mixed experiences. But this property was very disappointing.

I traveled with my husband and we were hoping for some piece & quiet...fat chance. Children everywhere. lots & lots of noise, crying babies, etc. And, if that was not bad enough, the constant calls from Guest Services about purchasing another week was more than annoying.

Oh, yeah, my "review title".....EVERYTHING IS OLD.......We have a 2 BDR Ocean View...The Master bdroom was small, the 2nd bdroom was really small... and, the bathroom fixtures dated....as were the kitchen fixtures & apppliances were dated. And, please do not go out to the balcony because your view is either a parking lot or a huge pool construction site. The best thing I can say is that the place is clean.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelOften88
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We just spent another great 8 days at the Surf Club! We traded for a 2 bed condo in the Compass Tower for a week and rented the unit for one additional day. We travelled with a friend, so the 2 bedroom unit worked great for us. We have stayed at the Surf Club before and also at the Ocean Club, the Marriott Hotel, the Radisson, the Divi Golf Resort, Casa del Mar and Tierra del Sol. Our favorite place is the Surf Club because of the location, the pool, and the size and quality of the condo.

We stayed at the Surf Club at various times of year and it does get crowded at times. However, staying there in May, June, September, October and early December we have found no problems finding chairs at the pool or a palapa on the beach. I would say that a trip in early January was definitely more crowded and did have more children around, so if that bothers you, would recommend a different resort at that time of year.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Iggyhawk
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that (a) I own a Marriott Time Share in (gasp) Orlando which I bought when my kids were young and have been trading around ever since and (b) I've been to Aruba many times and have had mixed experiences at the hotels here.

This Island can get pricey if you don't watch what you're doing, so for me, being able to trade my timeshare for a week here was great and good luck. I traded for a 2 bedroom suite, as others have described in prior posts (or go to www.mvci.com).

The room was very clean and had no issues other than the crazily placed light switches (for example - there isnt a switch in the bathroom - only outside of it). The A/C worked GREAT - which is important since the Island is hot and humid so its nice to have a respite from the sun and the heat. Staff were generally very friendly, the concierge was helpful and knowledgeable and all around I thought this was a great value.

Comparing previous stays - I've stayed at the Marriott hotel (the original Marriott foothold here) as well as the original time share (Marriott Ocean Club) as well as Playa Linda Beach Resort. The Surf Club was the best of the bunch for sure.

We came "off season" (meaning while school in the Northeast was still in session) so there werent many teens here and few kids other than some toddlers. That was a very pleasant surprise as I am sure during "season" the place is a zoo and I can totally see not having a great stay when 1/2 of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts are here during the Winter holidays. I would avoid that time of year at a place like this.

Otherwise it is a treat. Pools are terrific, there is ample on site restaurants (though pricey) and the beach is beautiful.

I give kudos to management here for devising a thoughtful pool chair/lounge and beach palapas and chair system. Gone (thankfully) are the days of getting up at 5AM to throw towels, books, newspapers, and other oglio and olio on chairs and then fight with people over whether the blue and white striped towel on the chair in question was the one YOU put down or the one THEY put down. What Marriott has done is to issue "chair cards" which are basically like luggage tags with serial numbers (and you can write your name or other code word on the back). These tags are then able to be tethered to a chair (starting at 7AM every day) and once tethered the chair is yours for the day(assuming some scoundrel doesnt remove it on you - though the eye-in-the-sky cameras will catch them and perhaps they will lose their chair-card rights???).

Anyway, it seems to work well and avoids the whole race to get the chairs syndrome so prevalent at the time share scene. The tags - if not removed by you at day's end - are removed by staff, so that come 7AM the next day it can start all over again with a clean slate.

Similar process works for the beach palapas and chairs. Here though there is a bit more strategy. The resort reserves a number of palapas (basically natural umbrellas that creat shade on the beach which is a MUST) that you can reserve for a fee up to 2 (?)days in advance. They also leave a number open for first come first serve on the particular day of. Since we were here in off season I didnt bother reserving (and therefore saved the $15 per day fee) and had little trouble getting a palapas. The catch is - if you reserve one and dont use it for 2 hours - it gets put back into the pool - so if you reserve it be sure to use it.

One other clever thing - the chair card idea prevents people from having BOTH a chair at the pool and a chair at the beach (YES people DO do that) as it is a one-card to one-person rule and you cannot really game the system. So I am happy with this innovation and hope it helps others enjoy their stay in Aruba. It truly is a beautiful place and worth the effort to plan a nice stay here.

In so far as activities - I came down with my oldest child who finished college ahead of her siblings so we had a 2 bedroom place to ourselves. We played tennis daily (early in the AM before the heat and the wind kicked into high gear), hung at the beach during the day, and explored the town and nightlife in the evening, especially some terrific eateries - such as Wacky Wahoo, Jumanja, and the Sushi place near the Hyatt. We didnt go for any water sports or jeep rides (been there, done that), but we had a very relaxing and entertaining time.

BTW- Cabs are expensive here, so if you do plan to go off property at all, you might want to consider renting a car. I rented a KIA for $129 for the week and feel that I would have spent close to that on a taxi to and from the airport anyway, so use of the car during the week was essentially "free". Just food for thought. Happy tripping!

7  Thank Love_to_travel_NYC9
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I traveled with my wife and another couple may29-jun5 and had a blast. we booked a 2 bedroom garden view villa. when we checked in, we slipped the lady at the desk a $20 bill between our confirmation print out and she just smiled. we got a room on the 9th floor over looking the ocean and a bottle of wine from the receptionist...much better than what we bargained for. the resort was very nice and clean. we have been to several other islands and the people in aruba are among the friendliest of them all.

the hotel was very empty this week, not sure why but it was great. there were some families with small children but nothing i found out of the ordinary to any other hotel i have stayed at.

we never had any issues getting 4 chairs together by the pool or a spot on the beach. we never rented a "cabana" but could have had one every day if we wished.

the water in front of the hotel is OK. there are many other beaches on the island that offer clearer/bluer water, but it was still very nice. i recommend renting a car and visiting them all (or at least baby beach if you only have a day).

we did not do any tours thru the hotel as they were all very expensive but we did rent a jeep for the week which hauled the 4 of us around the island very comfortably. i highly recommend doing this. some spots you can't miss while staying:

1 baby beach (one of the nicest beaches i have seen in my life)
2 natural pool (one heck of a ride, but well worth it)
3 driving up the north coast on the dirt trails (amazing views secluded beaches and rough ocean waters)

we had dinner out every night and this was our biggest expense. texas de brazil was great, but bring your appetite. the ruth's chris on property was also great, very pricey but it was worth the cost.

to summarize, great trip and very few complaints. the marriott surf club is a nice hotel with plenty of amenities to please all guests...you will not be disappointed.

5  Thank ds17
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!