“Surf club”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been coming to the Marriott Aruba Sirf Club for over 10 years. It is clean beautiful, updated with ultimate hospitality from ALL employees. The lazy river, drink in hand, floating around an oasis of rock formations is beyond description. I am bringing all of my children and grandchildren here to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in June. It is the ideal place for my 5 grand kids to have memories/pictures of my wife and me 50 years from now.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mmixlee3
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for the five-star Tripadvisor review! As an owner, we truly appreciate your feedback and kind words for associates. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary and we look forward to helping you celebrate on your upcoming trip!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,841)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

4th trip back to the Surf Club. Had an excellent time.

Visited for the first week of March and have to say the mayhem and craziness that the hotel has during Jan and Feb is completely absent.

We had no issues whatsoever and were quite impressed with the changes, new waterpark being added and new appliances in the Lighthouse Tower.

Really a great place for a family vacation.

Room Tip: Try to do Ocean Front, not Ocean side. Lighthouse Tower is the best
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

On behalf of our entire team, we thank you for your five-star review of Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! We are happy to hear your family enjoyed the new additions around the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We just returned from Aruba Surf Club where our family spent spring break. We had a great time. We had a two bedroom garden view room. We booked rather late so we were quite happy with that. Our room actually had a bit of an ocean view when you were out on the balcony so that was a pleasant surprise.
The pool was beautiful and we enjoyed the lazy river. My only issue with the place was the beach chair tagging. I have no issue with reserving your chairs but I did have an issue with reserved chairs never being used! I would go down and tag my chairs at 7 am (having to struggle to find 2 chairs together) and return by 8:30 or 9 with my family. (I didn't reserve a chair for my son since I knew he'd never sit on it since he'd always be in the pool.). Then we would stay there for half the day. Chairs all around us would be tagged and empty. The hours we'd be at the pool many of those chairs would remain tagged yet empty. This tagging in my opinion is not necessary and makes it difficult for people to rest, relax, and sleep in on their vacations.
I had to explain to a couple pushing a stroller with twins that yes, all those empty tagged chairs were taken and that the too would have to get downstairs at 7 am if they wanted one too.

Again, the resort and it's staff were great. I just don't like this chair tagging policy.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jackie M

We appreciate your positive review of Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! We are happy to hear your family had a great vacation while visiting Aruba. Our team also appreciates your feedback about the pool chairs as we continue to enhance our guest experience. Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate leaders. Thank you again for your review and we hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just returned from one week at the Marriott surf club in Aruba. We are Marriott owners in Hilton Head but often exchange through interval international. Before we departed for Aruba, I scoured the Internet for reviews of the Surf Club. What I can offer now is simply an honest review of our experience in Aruba.
The resort was very typical of the Marriots we have visited: Very clean, beautifully landscaped, friendly staff. We were on the 12th floor of the Skyglass building. We had a lovely view of the pool/water slide, the ocean in the distance and the town. Our balcony was small but fine for 4 people to use. We had a studio room. It was perfectly fine for our family (with 2 teenagers who go to bed later than we do). For a family with young children you would feel cramped I believe. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room each day and the small fridge and microwave allowed us to do this very successfully.
We spent most of our time in the pool by the water slide. I never reserved chairs before 8:30 in the morning and we never had any trouble getting 4 chairs together. I actually really appreciated the chair tag system. It worked quite well. The only issue I had was one morning when I was tagging a chair and a women dashed over and said " I was going to take those chairs". My response was "ok. Have a nice day". Why fight with people who lack manners. It is not worth it. I tagged the chairs right beside the ones which obviously meant more to her than me. The pool was refreshing and fun. The water slide was very popular.
We rented a palapa for one day. It is very necessary to have shade on the beach. It is hotter there than at the pool. The ocean was clear and the beach was nice. Not the nicest beach we've been to but nice. We especially enjoyed walking the beach in the evenings. Aruba is very safe.
Ther is a movie theater close to the resort and we went twice. On mon-wed the movies are 2 for 10 dollars.
We went to get groceries at Ling and Sons. Groceries are expensive. But that's life. We only bought what we needed. We ate dinner out each night. Our favourites were La Vista and A Taste of Belgium. Both had excellent food. Our least favourite was Champions. It was just okay.
The resort was fairly full. Lots of little children but everyone was mostly polite and respectful of other people.
The resort appeared very well run. Cabs were always available. Lots of staff around to answer questions. The basketball and shuffleboard was fun for our son. We didn't partake in any of the organized activities but there were plenty to choose from. We don't drink, so the price of drinks didn't affect us.
My final word of advice is about the airport. Plan to be there more than 3.5 hours before your flight. It is very handy to do both immigration security lines (Aruba and USA) before you leave but it is a lengthy process. I don't like the stress of potentially missing a flight so I would rather simply allow for extra time. We saw many frantic families running to catch flight and saw people distressed when flights were missed.
Overall, we had a wonderful family vacation. The weather in Aruba is perfection. The resort is lovely. The people are warm and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank calgaryfan

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! We truly appreciate your detailed review and thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We hope you return to visit us soon in beautiful Aruba!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband & I visited the Surf club from 2/27-3/5/14 for much need R & R. I always choose Marriott hotels because I know the value I am getting. I do agree with some of the prior reviews about the chairs and papulas especially if you are not an early riser. I really enjoyed the over 21 pool and fitness area. Security is excellent and they enforce the rules. Food from the Captain's Galley during Happy Hour was appetizing and there are servers who take orders from patrons on the beach. The weather was EXCELLENT especially with the crappy weather we experienced this winter. I paid for an ocean view and had a decent view of the water everyday. From what I could ascertain, it looked like every room in the resort has some view of the ocean. There were families there but the kids appeared to be orderly & well behaved. I think we went at the perfect time before spring and Easter breaks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your five-star review and the beautiful pictures you provided of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! Our team is happy to have exceeded your expectations when it comes to service and luxury accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Aruba!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Aruba for the past 10 years. We have brought many friends and family with us. We have fallen in love with island, the wonderful people, good food and the beautiful beach and beautiful view of the Caribbean water. On our last visit the only view that could be seen on the beach were huge ugly multicolor umbrella's that said RENT ME. They were tip to tip all across the beach. Some days they were 2 rows deep. It was difficult to get to the beach and the children were unable to play on the beach. These umbrellas had to be rented at $40.00. You had to pay if you were to sit under the umbrellas. These umbrellas were set up early in the morning and taken down at the end of the day. I really miss the beautiful view of the water. Because of the ugly umbrellas our family will be looking for a different vacation destination.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Terri G

Thank you for your review of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club. It's disappointing to hear you did not have a good time at the beach due to the umbrellas. Will we share your feedback with our recreation team and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you again for your review of your recent stay.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Well, you can't say we weren't warned. As with all of the other reviews, do not pay up for a "Oceanside" room. After traveling for more than 8 hours, we arrived at the hotel around 10:30 pm. They seemed very surprised we actually wanted the room we paid for. My husband was very patient but the experience was reminiscent of buying a car - where the desk clerk kept disappearing for long periods to speak with an invisible manager. We did not get an Oceanside room because they were full (not sure why that all took 45 minutes). Our room was fine with comfortable beds and although we were far back from the ocean had a nice view of the pool and we ultimately received a credit for the amount we had paid for the nicer room. It just wasn't worth the hassle and time away from the pool waiting for a manager the next day. Lazy river was a highlight, weather is amazing. We liked the pool better than the beach because it had a nicer breeze (it was HOT on the beach). Our air conditioner went out and it took two days - and one very long hot night - to get it fixed, with maintenance trooping in and out. We did get a credit though. My husband ended up needing an emergency root canal on a Saturday night. The local dentist was awesome. I'd recommend the pizza at the pool. It's a pretty good deal and is very good. Jeff at the concierge desk was very helpful. Bring big insulated cups from home to fill with ice water at the pool. Papiamento was the best restaurant our family has ever been to and a highlight of the trip for my three daughters (they called it "magical"). It is pricey but absolutely lovely and the food was fantastic. JADs dive shop was excellent and we loved the tubing you can find along the beach front. Overall, you can't beat the weather in Aruba and the Surf Club is nice. Things just move a little slow. BTW - I did not find the chair tagging system to be as terrible as others. If you want the "perfect" chairs, get up early. But we had no problem finding 2 or 3 together around 9:30 am. Have a fantastic vacation!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank schellgirl

Thank you for your review of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! While we are happy to hear your family had a great vacation in Aruba, our team apologizes for your check-in experience. Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate leadership and we appreciate the time you took in sharing it. We also hope your husband is feeling better as root canals are never fun, especially on vacation! Our team looks forward to your next stay with us in Aruba!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!