“If you are a couple skip it”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Vancouver, Canada
“If you are a couple skip it”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Nice resort on a great stretch of beach. Good gym and exercise classes The catering to family is obvious

I have had enough of the blasting yelling person on a mic in activities tent and bingo blasting for 2 hours a day. Can be heard everywhere even at the so called serenity pool which is adults only. Kids in the pool still at 8 pm can be heard all throughout the resort and I just want a quiet drink on my balcony
It is a great location but not very relaxing
Food is very average

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank travellingcanucks12
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club. Your feedback regarding the recreation activities is important to us and will be shared with the resort leadership team. It is our goal to provide a relaxing and fun environment for people of all ages and we apologize if the activities hindered your enjoyment. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia Suburb
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have been owners at Surf Club since 2005. This year we stayed at Surf Club the week of November 17 - 24, 2013. It was awesome as it always is.
Check in: We arrived at the hotel at about 3pm. The check in line was short and it moved quickly. Prior to our arrival I had requested a high floor (11+), the check in staff told me it was not ready yet since they were just finishing cleaning and they asked us to wait about 30 min. I did so and we were taken up to our villa at about 330. Check in staff has always been friendly and willing to accomodate any requests within reason.

Villa: Villa was very clean and smelled fresh. About 10m after we entered the cleaning supervisor arrived and told us that maintenance will be up to fix two problems in the room (a broken drawer in the bathroom and new light bulbs). Maintenance arrived within 30m and fixed issues.

Restaurants: Of all the times that we stayed here we've hardly ever used the kitchen to cook. Ussualy we eat out. On Marriott property one of my favorites is The Vista at Stellaris. Great buffets for breakfast and dinners. Ruth Chris Steakhouse I think is over priced. Simply Fish is on the beach and very good. Off Marriott property, for a nice dinner, several of my favorites are: Amazonia (don't fill up with the salad bar), Tony Romas, Chalet Suisse, The Flying Fishbone in Savaneta, Smokey Joe's ( great ribs), El Gaucho. There are several fast food chains on the island, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC, Dominos Pizza, Wendy's...We only tried Dominos Pizza on our first night...not bad three large Pizzas was $30 US.

Supermarkets: There are several supermarkets in the hotel area. Great to stock up your refrigerator. Expect higher prices but they are much lower than at the Marketplace in Marriott. Your on an island where everything has to be shipped in and hauled off.

Pool: Always clean around the pool. Even though they give you tags for your chair we never had any problem finding available lounge chairs near the pool. On the beach yes.

Activities: Surf Club at check in provides you with a list of activities offered on property, plenty to fill your day.

Scuba Diving: I personaly like water activity: Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Fishing. Surf Club contracts with Red Sail. They have a hut on the beach in front of Ocean Club. On our first visit to Aruba I tried them and was not impressed. The staff in the hut are there to only book trips. If you ask them a technical question such as what gear they have, or how much for a specialty course, they need to always call someone. very frustrating. I went on one of their scuba diving trips and felt very rushed since they needed to get back to take the next group out. Their gear was worn but ok not too impressed.
After some research I found a great scuba shop in St Nicholas called "Jads" A great crew of instructors. Prices are very reasonable. I've been diving with them since. They have my loyalty. Its about a 40 min ride by car from Surf Club to the other end of the island...well forth it.

Touring the island: The concierge at Surf Club can arrange a variety of trips. We like to rent a car and explore the island on our on and at our own pace. The concierge will give you a map!!!

Currency Exchange: All Arubian buisnesses take US dollars and Arubian Florins. Most of major buisnesses will give you a fair exchange since their registers will properly convert, however others (taxi drivers, gas staions, out door vendors..) will round up in their favor. As of November 2013 Aruba Bank gave 1.8 Florins for a $1 US. On the street you will get between 1.2 and 1.5 Florins for $1. So for all those who need a calculator for each $100. US you will get 120 -150. Florins on the street or 180. Florins at the bank. For all frugal travelers you can visit the Aruba Bank and convert your US dollars. You will receive the best exchange rate and you won't have to deal with rounders.

Enjoy the island

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank psmu82
atlanta, ga
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Marriot Surf Club is a great hotel if you like mega resorts. Everything clean, friendly staff. Sometimes felt like we were at a retirement home, but people were very friendly. Lazy river gets very crowded. Extremely long walks to beach from Spyglass Tower. Lots of walking, but there are golf carts if you can find them. DO NOT LOSE YOUR TOWELS are you will be charged. They are very strict about this almost to a fault. Best restaurant by far was Simply Fish on the beach. Lobster was excellent. Skip Ruth's Chris. Overpriced and lobster was so much better at Simply Fish. If you'd like an excellent and relaxing snorkel trip go to the left of the resort and book with Robertson's. They are a family from Holland and so friendly. 3 hour trip on a catamaran with about 15 people to two snorkel spots, sandwiches, fruit, open bar for $30 - $35 per person including all equipment. Definitely take a cab ($9) one way to the Super Food down the road. Excellent prices and variety. Separate liquor store with great prices. Had never been to Aruba and really enjoyed the island and the people. Would go back again, but would like to be closer to the beach.

Room Tip: If you don't care about the lazy river, stay at the ocean club. Spyglass Towers are the furthes...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scooter315
North Carolina
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I've reviewed this resort in the past, and gave it 5 stars. After this stay, although we still loved our vacation, I think I need to drop it down to a 4 star rating. We are owners here, for now.

Check-in: We had stayed for a few days over at the Marriott Aruba Resort before checking in at the Surf Club. So we were ready to check-in in the morning. We know that check-in is at 4pm, so we expected to wait until the afternoon to get our villa. I walked into the lobby around 10:30am just to make them aware of my arrival. It took about 15 minutes to check-in, which I felt was waaaaay too long, especially since they didn't even have a villa to give me. They just gave me the normal info, confirmed my personal info, etc. We were told to check back around 2:30 for a villa, if ready.
We decided to drive downtown and do some shopping. We stayed until about 2:45 and returned to Surf Club at about 3pm. I waited in line again and was given my villa location and keys (cards).

Villa: We own Gardenview, and I had requested a high floor in building 9, which is all Gardenview. I was given villas 2905/2906, which is the 12th floor in building 9. Very nice view, and we could easily see the ocean from our balconies. Buildings 8&9 make up the L shaped building, that is really one building, but identified as different buildings, probably for villa number assignment.
The villa was as expected when we arrived. The cards that we were given only open the master door, which is 2906, and did not open 2905. That was fine with us, since 2905, which is the studio side of a 2BR, was going to be our daughters room. When coming through the door, you are in a small entry area, with the kitchen to one side and master bath door to the other side. Walking straight in, you have the dining table with 6 chairs and then a living room area with sleeper sofa, 2 chairs, small tables and an entertainment cabinet with flat-panel TV and DVD player. There is also a door to one balcony from here.
In the master, you have a king sized bed, dresser with TV on it, closet with safe, soaking tub, sink/mirror area. Then the master bath is connected, with another sink/mirror, toilet and stand-up shower. There is a sliding glass door to the same balcony mentioned before.
In the studio side, it is like a normal hotel room. Queen bed and sleeper sofa, table with 2 chairs, dresser with TV, closet. You also have a kitchenette here with coffee maker, sink, microwave, small refrigerator. Also a full bath and a sliding glass door to another balcony.
We didn't really have a problem with the villa. One thing I did notice is that the tile, which is throughout the bathrooms and the entire middle section of the unit, was loose. This was noticeable throughout most of the villa. Every step you would hear cracking and feel movement, as if the tile was literally moving under your feet.

Pools: There are a total of 4 pools (2 connected). The Serenity Pool is for adults only, and is located closest to the beach, surrounded by greenery. There are lounge chairs all around this pool. The main pool is pretty large. It has zero entry on one side, which is where a lot of smaller kids hang out and play. The other side is where the swim-up bar is. there are steps to walk in on both sides of the bar. In addition, there are 2 circular seating areas around 2 palm trees near the bar. The bar has sports playing on 2 large TV's most of the time. Next is the Lazy River (Gulf Stream), which is as it sounds. A lot of fun. There are rules about size of rafts. Tubes only, 36" max. But, the security guards never said anything to anyone on flatbeds and other huge rafts. It wasn't really over-crowded, so it was OK. The 4th is another large pool that is connected at one of the Gulf Stream. It is pretty windy back here sometimes. There is a waterfall and waterslide here, and an attached infant pool. Note that there are 3 (If I remember right) infant pools total.

Beach: The beach area is pretty large at the Surf Club, and since it attaches to the Ocean Club and Marriott Resort as well, the overall area is pretty substantial. However, with all of the palapas out on the beach, there really is only about 20 feet of area of true beachfront. There is probably over 100 feet depth of palapas. Note that the beach is public, so anyone can use the area, but the palapas are private to the Surf Club. While staying at the Surf Club, you can reserve only the Surf Club palapas, not the Ocean Club, etc. When walking into the water, it can be a bit shelly, but is still very nice compared to northeast beaches. There is a slight drop-off when walking in, which you have to be conscience of. There are lots of vendors along the beach that offer all kinds of different water adventures.

Service: I think service is one of the reasons of dropping from a 5 to a 4 star. In the past, the staff was truly excited to be there, and wanted to do whatever necessary to make your stay enjoyable. This trip, we had much too many staffers that you could tell were just working their job, not interested in good service. There are still some staff members that have been at the Surf Club for years, like Wilma at the bar, and they are still looking to satisfy their guests. But, for the most part, this is gone. I literally overheard one guest complaining about service to a staff member and the staff members response was, "the good ones were moved over to the Ritz Carlton".

Lounge chair availability: Since November is a slower season, we didn't have an issue finding chairs at the pool area. Usually we would just grab one or two chairs around the Gulf Stream area. We did not have a problem finding a chair once. The chair process has changed over the years. The current policy is to use chair tags, which are given at check-in. The tags are meant to be placed on chairs when they are actually being used, but you may jump in the pool or walk away for a little bit. This isn't how they are being used though. We would see sections of chairs that were tagged along the main pool that never had anyone in those chairs the entire day. There is a rule that if they are unoccupied for 2 hours, the security is supposed to remove the tag. But again, this was not enforced. Not a problem for us, but I'm sure it will be during peak season. The system doesn't really make sense because guards can't be expected to have a mental timer of 2 hours for every chair out there. It will more than likely be enforced when upset guests watch chairs and then complain to a guard after 2 hours of being unoccupied.

Palapas: Palapas are the straw umbrella/tables that are out at the beach. There are probably 100 or so at the Surf Club, maybe more. The first 2 rows rent for $15/day and the 3rd to back are $10/day. They are rentable for 2 days, then an off day, then 2 more days. You could book all of them on one day. For instance, arrive on Saturday, rent Sat/Sun, Tues/Wed, Fri, all at the same time. Obviously based on availability. Rentals are open from 8am-3pm. Anything not rented goes to the free pool of palapas, which can be requested at 7am for same day or 4pm for next day. Lines get long at those times.

Kids program: Our daughter is 5. She had a great time with the kids program. All of the staffers in this program were great with the kids. The kids can get a kids passport for the week. They get stamps for each thing they do and then get small prizes at the end of the week, based on number of stamps. Some things are free, some have costs. Our daughter did the tie-dye t-shirt for $15, and a bunch of free things. She received a few buttons at the end of the week.

Front desk: There were 3 max staff members at the front desk, that I saw. This may have increased during peak check-in times. As mentioned, the check-in process was slower than it needed to be. Other than daytime, I went to the front desk a few times for different things. There was only 1 staff member there each time. So I was 3 or 4 in line, and it took 15 minutes or more to ask a simple question. Possibly a cost savings effort, and being an owner, paying less maintenance fees is good. The At Your Service (dial 0) also was slow to pick up.

Overall: We had an absolutely amazing vacation. We will be back in a few years, since we have already exchanged our Aruba week for 2014. The onsite food is average at best, but that isn't a reason to choose this resort anyway. The location is really great. You can easily walk to several nice restaurants and shopping. We do rent a car when we go, so we don't have to be tied down to anybodies schedule. With the taxi fares to/from the airport, plus going out to dinner at least a few times, it really makes sense financially too. We get a small sized car.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MarriottVacClubOwner
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 23, 2013

First the positives. The location and the pool are both excellent. Although the water slide could be better it is fun for the smaller children and there is no shortage of pool space. It is easy to get to the beach and there are plenty of restaurants and activities within walking distance if you want to spend a week with no car. We enjoy the convenience of having a full kitchen and a grill downstairs, which allowed us to eat many of our meals including breakfast and several dinners at our convenience. With three young children this a big plus and saves money as did buying alcohol from duty free and making our own drinks. The happy hour specials during the day at the pool are worth it though for a nice change of pace. Kids loved the swim up bar for frozen kid beverages while the grow ups had theirs. We managed to fit my wife and I, both my parents, my brother and three kids age one through eight in a two bedroom unit and although it was a little tight, it worked. So much better than two hotel rooms and at night we had the living room area to hang out after the kids were asleep. The fitness center has improved from the last time here.
The negatives are few and some can't be fixed such as the incessant wind which often left us feeling cold despite a temperature in the 80's. Service is slow, especially at check in and with housekeeping or the bellhops. I find this to be true in much of the Caribbean though and would rate it on par with experiences other places except the ritz. The beach is nice and large and the ocean is warm but this side of the island has no waves. Great for little kids but older kids and adults may miss the waves. I do give a thumbs up for them returning my video camera after I left it at a kids event two days prior. Realized it was missing at checkout and they had it in lost and found. This could easily have been picketed and wasn't.

Room Tip: If you like the ocean, try and get a room closer to the beach because it is a long walk from the rea...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Situated in the high rise area as part of 4 marriott owned hotels in a row ( one now being the ritz Carlton), you are only permitted to use the pool and beach facilities of your own property due to the overcrowding. The "guidelines!!" Issued as you check in, clearly state what you can and cannot do, however the tone is very dictatorial and could be softened to make you feel more welcome. The one bed condo in spyglass tower overlooking the large pool area could not be faulted. Wonderful view from the balcony which could be accessed from lounge or bedroom. spotlessly clean, large bedroom and well equipped kitchen/dining area. The walk to the beach is however quite a long way if you have walking difficulties. Complicated pool/beach chair allocation system using tags and wrist bands and a 2 hour rule. We are fortunate that we are early risers so being allocated a beach hut was not a problem. You can reserve them at a daily cost of $15. 3 distinct pool areas family, adults only and wonderful lazy river(which can get very crowded). Pool area was quite noisy so we preferred the beach. Plenty of staff available for food and beverage service. Prices expensive.beds comfortable but had strange pillows either "bricks" or small soft ones. Maid service is not daily.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The Lazy River is so peaceful and the pools are beautiful.
There's an adult only pool if that is your choice.
The Friday Night Barbeque is excellent.
The staff is exceptional - I have to say very, very nice, helpful etc.

Room Tip: Choose top floors so you have an Ocean View...beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends