“It's a Time Share so.....”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Dallas, Texas
“It's a Time Share so.....”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I can't complain about the great deal I got via a friend. The average rating is for the mismatch I personally had with the type of crowd. We were all adults. The quick of it...friendly staff, clean rooms and good upkeep. We had the 2 bedroom suite which is plenty of room for a party of 5. Full kitchen which makes it nice to store groceries and avoid all meals out. This is not a quiet resort - too many families with kids, crowded property and silly beach hut process. Read on for more detail if you have time. But is a great place for families and kids.

This is my 2nd visit to this property, last time was 4 years ago. The upkeep on the property and rooms has been good; rooms are slightly dated, but I'll take that as long as they keep it clean and attractive and they do. The 2 bedroom suite has one king size room with full bath and full kitchen; the 2nd bedroom has a queen bed and a pull out sofa, double. The living area for the king suite has a queen pull out sofa. The sofa beds are very warn and uncomfortable; beware.

There has been a few changes to the property on the outside, all good and the main "walk-up bar" pool is under construction. This is September so its considered the off season for them.

All of the staff is super friendly and responds when you ask for or need something. This is suppose to be a smoke free "rooms" property, but ours smelled of smoke. What can you do? They have designated smoking areas around the pool, and you can smoke on the beach and in the casino, so the "smoke free" room is at high risk. There is people smoking everywhere and on their patios.

The Lazy River is a nice touch, but it should be called the "too loud and crowded with whiny kids river". It is this amenity that seems to attract all the families. It used to be a heavy New Yorker resort, but it now seems to be the Resort of choice for South Americans - mostly Venezuela with a touch of Brazil. This is not a good thing. They travel in large pods, are very intrusive and loud; they make New York families sound like quiet, country folk.

Again, its a time share with kiddy attractions and large rooms. This screams family time. Not that I don't like family and kids, but who enjoys screaming kids with families of 10-20 under one hut, at the beach in exotic Aruba? NOT ME. This is definitely not the place for you if you want to relax and enjoy the sound of the waves. It's an amusement park.

I still had a pleasant time and got to enjoy a few runs on the beach away from the crowds. I'll always return if I get the price I did, but if I'm paying full price I'm looking elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Kids enjoy the lazy river pool. The hotel is served by all of the major tour companies for tour pick ups. Restaurants on the Marriott property have been very disappointing on my last 3 trips. The pizza tastes like cardboard. Much room for improvement. Staff is very friendly. I am extremely disappointed, however, that the pools close at 8 pm. They should at least be open until 10 or 11 pm. I'm hoping to see some improvements this year as some renovations appear to be underway.

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great Stay and very clean resort . Great service and very close to all restaurants and entertainment stores and mall . I enjoy my stay every time I go there . The beach is a little crowed at the Surf club we rent a PALPA at the surf club resort but swim on the beach at the ocean club which is right next door. The beach there is less crowed .

Room Tip: ocean view great view of sun set
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mario g
long island
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After receiving something in the mail and a phone call I purchased a package from Marriott. It was a reasonable price but required attendance at a time share presentation. I stayed with my husband and two teen sons in a studio room. The room had one queen bed and one full sofa bed. It had a little kitchen area with a microwave, sink, small refridgerator toaster etc. I wish I could have upgraded to a larger room but I told I could not. The room was very nice. It looked very clean and fresh however the TV was not a flatscreen which seemed a little weird. The property is quite nice and appeared to be well maintained. The lazy river pool is great but extremely crowded during our mid-august stay. The larger rooms (which we were shown on our time share pitch) are really awesome, with full kitchens, washer/dryers and big jacuzzis. The deal breaker for me is the beach here and the beach is what I come to Aruba for. The Marriott resorts are built much further inland and they are much bigger than the other hotels on Palm Beach. As a result the beach is more than twice as deep with rows and rows of palapas very close together. The beach has an extremely crowded feel. On one occasion a young girl was actually laying under my chair. Although I woke up very early in the AM I was not able to secure a palapa anywhere near the water. Personally I do not see that time shares are a great value and I do not like the idea of being roped in to anything. I feel that Marriott way overbuilt this property. The Ritz Carlton that which is almost completed, ruined the world famous windsurfing beach is the icing on the cake. I always loved Aruba because it had a relaxed "unspoiled" feel and I think that Marriott and the new malls have done a lot to ruin this. Overall this is a very nice property but definitely not for you if you are seeking a relaxing peacerful vacay. Another note - I returned a couple hours after checking out upon realizing that I left my favorite beach cover-up hanging on the bathroom door. Nobody seemed too interested in helping me. I even went back to the room myself but I was unable to recover it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank petunia1
somewhere nj
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have never been one to write a review. This was our first time to the island we were very disappointed being that we have traveled extensively and had heard good things about Aruba. The hotel is dated. Food is overpriced and terrible. The staff is very dishonest. We had two incidences happen while we stayed here one where my son left his iphone on the couch in the lobby when we called a few minutes later to have them get it and hold it while we came back down it was gone. When we asked if they could please look at the security cameras they said they would try nothing came of it. During the check out process we were leaving our room and my husband left a piece of jewelry on the bed his bracelet when he realized he called the hotel because we were going to go back they claimed it wasn't there. Now housekeeping went in right after we left. Very dishonest. We know it was there. On a recent trip to Cuba we left our room safe open when we went to the pool. When we came back our room wasn't clean and there was a note from housekeeping claiming they couldn't clean our room because our safe was left open. Now what would you prefer? The island has a "rule" (even though all cabs are independently owned) 5 person limit per cab, keep that in mind if you are a big family or traveling with a group. It's just a way to make money. Very dishonest. The icing on the cake was when we got to the airport almost 3 hours before our flight. Checked in passed through security, walked through the airport realized (because no one notified us and we were a group of 14) that we would once again need to "look for our bags" make another line which was for US Customs which is great if they were actually paying attention, numerous people cut because they were going to be late for they're flight. Which we were going to be as well. After, over an hour on line for the 5 out of 12 windows that were there we made it to our gate to sit in the airplane and wait on the plane for almost an hour for the 8 passengers were on the customs line.. Really..

Room Tip: Wait for the Ritz Carlton to open lol
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank edith g
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We are dissapoointed to read your review about the alleged theft at the resort. It is certainly not appropriate to falsely accuse the staff of taking items that were left in a public lobby. However, I can assure you that every action was taken to attempt to assist in the determining who took your items. It is also likey that an item left on the bed was included with the dirty laundry and sent out as our housekeeping staff does not search through the bed linens prior to removing the sheets. We regret your experience was not as you expected but whenever traveling, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and not leave valuable items unattended.
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have a time share and go for two weeks every winter. Beautiful grounds, a plus is the adult pool, and a nice beach. Walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops. Public bus stop right outside and goes downtown.

People go up at 7:00am to get chairs at the pool and beach. Some people put towels on eight chairs then take off for hours. Be prepared for this. It is manageable but very inconvenient way to spend vacation.

Staff is very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Stellaris in Aruba for our Honeymoon in 2012 - had a great time. This year, we decided to try out one of the Vacation Club properties. We have a family friend who has a multi-week timeshare at the Surf Club, so we were able to take advantage of a discounted room using the Friend Share program. We got a discounted 7 day, 6 night stay at the Marriott Surf Club.

The Surf Club is nice, but we were disappointed overall. First and foremost, if you're looking for a quiet place to rest and relax, the Surf Club is not it. Lots of kids, families, loud noise. Beach area is packed by 10:00am. Lazy river looks fun, but is overcrowded and at times, there are items in the water that are questionable (if you catch my drift).

If you're looking for a romantic, relaxing getaway, Ocean Club might be a better option. We are going to stay there next year. It seems quieter and more adult-like.

Overall though, the Surf Club was good. The staff is courteous and they do a good job of maintaining the property. Our room was fairly average (we did not stay in a villa). We had a regular studio room - fairly decent and clean.

The best part of the Marriott properties are the restaurants, Consistently good food and variety, and excellent service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple