“Excellent stay”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Surf Club and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It was our first trade with points as enrolled owners, and we were pleased. We were on the 7th floor in the Lighthouse Tower in an oceanview (not oceanfront) room facing the adjacent Ocean Club property but with good views of the island as well as the ocean. If we go back I will request the same building but a pool view. It was a convenient location to the pool, beach, and not too far from the main building and entrance. The 1BR suite was clean and nicely decorated. The tile floors make it a bit more noisy, and a couple of times from the kitchen I could hear the people in the lockoff unit nextdoor but it was never a problem. The beach and pool are wonderful. The process for reserving chairs and palapas seemed fair to us and was not bothersome with a little pre-planning. The food and drinks at the beach/pool are good but expensive, so if you're staying more than a few days or have a large group it would definitely be worth a trip to the grocery store. I took a few snacks and breakfast items and we ate all other meals out. There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance, and we enjoyed exploring. If you want to snorkel, there are boats that pick up right at the beach, but there didn't appear to be good snorkeling right at the beach. Parasailing and several other water sports activities were available. The beach was very relaxing, and so was the lazy river pool. I expected more splashing children but was pleasantly surprised. Don't forget to pack some inexpensive innertubes. It's easy and convenient to inflate them by the towel hut.
We took one island bus tour with DePalm - Explore Aruba. It was informative and enjoyable. Lunch was included as one of the stops, and it was nice.
We had several great dinners. Two Fools and a Bull was the highlight of our trip and the best meal of my life. I believe the cab ride was $7 each way. Look it up and reserve months ahead. We met people from all over the world and loved the experience. Simply Fish is the beachfront restaurant at the Marriott. It's very romantic with excellent food and service and beautiful sunset views. I made the reservation one day ahead. Scala was another wonderful meal. It's an upstairs balcony in the mall area down the street but an easy walk from the Surf Club. I was delighted to find a Starbucks in the same mall just below it. La Trattoria at the Lighthouse had good food but the lovely sunset view was what made it worthwhile. The cab ride there was about $12 each way.
I expected to spend some time in the casino, but after walking through Stellaris the first night, it was too smoky and cold for me to play. I could've put up with the smell if I'd had a heavier sweater and long pants, but we found plenty of other things to do instead. We didn't check out any of the other casinos.
Overall we had a great trip and would highly recommend this property for a couple or family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Shelly M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Korean first
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Marriott Aruba Surf Club is a very nice upscale hotel, however since the beaches are all public, we experienced tremendous inconveniences in getting chairs on the beach. You actually have to reserve chairs at 7:00 am for that day or at 4:00 pm for the following day. One day I was given a number of 19 and waited in line for 25 minutes just to reserve chairs for my family. Not how I wish to spend my vacation! The beach is also very crowed and we were so far back the first few days that we could barely see the beach.

Room Tip: The villas were beautifully furnished and clean. We had an Oceanside villa and had asked for a view...
3 Thank Pam D
toronto, ontario, canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

After many recommendations by friends and family we decided to pack up and leave the cold behind for March break in Aruba.

Overall this was a fantastic place, great weather and more great weather. I did read almost every review written on this place before making my final choice and I was not disappointed.

The following seemed to be concerns of many reviews:

Chair tagging - yes its true wake up and get a chair but only if you really want a specific spot otherwise you can always find 4 chairs in the sun so really no big deal and not worth complaining about

busy place- yes it is but never had to wait for an elevator or food at the restaurant

Service- Excellent- the staff truly cared about making sure that we were happy and all were more than friendly and willing to please us

Location- i did have a chance to walk up and down the beach, overall pretty nice spot - only thing is the beach area where the palapas were compared to the beach near the hyatt was pretty shelly and hard on bare feet, otherwise great location
Also we could walk to restaurants no problem at night with our 2 kids ages 11 and 15, we always felt safe

Aruba overall great weather only sad that the water directly in front of the hotel is very murkey still clean and beautiful just not crystal clear like i imagined it to be

Eating - we found really great places that were not expensive and good quality call close by including the restaurants right at the surf club we had several meals here and all good

So to sum this review up I would come back to Aruba no hurricanes is a big thing and perfect weather all year well thats a good investment

Until next time

5 Thank needhelpwithtrip
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba and it was wonderful! The Marriott Surf Club is a great place to stay for all couples and families. The staff was very friendly and efficient, especially Clairabel, housekeeping Supervisor. We went during a very busy time, but never had a problem finding lounge chairs or waiting a long time for food or drinks. We would stay definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stvacation
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family had a great time in Aruba at the Surf club yet again. We have been going every year for the last 8 years or so and it was fabulous again. The hotel is extremely clean and well taken care of. The staff is very effiecioent friendly and on top of everything. I only had two complaints. One being the beach chairs around the pool can be tagged and if no one uses the chairs for two hours the tags are supposed to be removed. Well this did not happen once that I saw. Now it must be very tough to monitor but on a few occassions I saw tags and chairs that were never moved or used all day. The other complaint I had was at the pool side restaurant. They were extremely busy don't get me wrong but we ordered our food and it must have been 45 minutes to an hour and we still did not get our food so we stood up and left. But other days it was great. So all in all another fantastic trip and we will see you again next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveller867
Pennsylvania

Bon Dia:
We were at the Surf Club from Friday March 1 - 8. I knew the majority of mid-winter breaks for kids were mostly over as they typically happen around Presidents Day, etc so this week was a pretty good one if you don't want the property wall to wall with kids. Were a lot of adults and a few spring breakers (mostly traveling with parents). I know this is a family property so please don't mind my kids comments but since we don't have kids and were traveling with my 82-year-old father, I just was hoping it would not be too crazy. And it wasn't. Definitely still quite busy but a little calmer.
We own in the Lighthouse Tower so we are guaranteed that building but nothing else. We worked (really my husband worked) and got us a 14th floor room facing the ocean and pool. Two bedroom so my Dad could have the lock off. Furnishings as nice as I remember from other visits. Think little skimpy on some pots, pans and utensils, but no big deal there. Nice washer/dryer, etc. We lucked out and check in was not bad at all but it could have been because we were delayed and didn't get there until about 4. Or maybe because Friday.....Addition of adult pool was nice even though we didn't use it and its a bit small. These seats were at a premium since so few so they were mostly taken all by 7:00 am. But we prefer the beach anyway and reserved palapas for several days. The beach is expansive but given the size of the property and occupants, very saturated. We were never right up against the beach and I did envy other properties (even the Ocean club) where there was more room to breathe and better view of ocean. But still, we enjoyed our time at the beach. Was regularly patroled and they had great beach service even though we didn't use it. And that's because there is no easy bar to get to from the beach -- bit of a walk. We pack a cooler and stock it with things from our room to save a few bucks. Grounds staff and security staff were always friendly but if I can give you any piece of advice to enrich your stay, it is this. Just learn a few words of the local language, Papiemento. You will be amazed how far it will take you in getting smiles, hospitality, etc. And I loved to do it. Made me feel more like someone from Aruba and was fun interacting. Our tidy and maid service during mid week was outstanding. She did a wonderful job and more than I expected given I didn't pay for the added services. Just the one day tidy service that owners receive (think guests receive more). We didn't really use any restaurant or food service so can't comment on the Captains Galley, etc. They did often have some music around 5-7 in evenings near the pool which was nice. By then we were usually on our own balcony or taking a break before dinner. The only negative thing that occurred was the fire alarm went off twice on our floor during our stay. Once when I was already up and about but my Dad wasn't (early morning) and another time right in middle of night around 3:00 am. But they quickly addressed and it went off within seconds and then back to sleep.I thought the property, given the amount of guests was very clean and still well maintained. Still a very attractive property as you walk the beach as other buildings continue to age.
Overall, I still think the property is best for families with kids and not for couples looking for a romantic getaway. Or it's also good for extended families which we saw a lot -- adult couples traveling together. It is what you make of it too. There were days of the week there weren't as busy. Or if you did things early in day and came back for sun at 2:00 you can often find a palypa that someone already left or place by the pool. Just go and enjoy everything Aruba has to offer.

Room Tip: If in Lighthouse tower (closest to beach), higher floor, pool view. But anything above the 6th floor...
1 Thank Quinnly
indiana
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the Marriott Surf club in a three bedroom unit with our kids and grandchildren. It is such a great place for kids. They loved the lazy river and the water slide. They have basketball hoops and pingpong for the kids as well as organized activities like bingo and t-shirt painting. The kids loved the Iguana feeding. The pool is great and so is the beach.
The condo was great, very clean, updated and when we called to report a fan not working they came immdiately to fix it and someone even called to followup to make sure it had beem done. If you want a great trip with your kids or grandkids try the Surf Club.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high and your will have a view of the ocean regardless of what side you on.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family