“Surfclub, a paradise”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Villanova, Pennsylvania
“Surfclub, a paradise”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been owners at this time share for many years and do not trade to go anywhere else. For relaxation it cannot be beat.Pricing for extras is high but there are many restauants in short walking distance as well as shops in the nearby mall and on the streets. The property is well maintained and the lazy river and quiet ocean are places to relax. For the venturous one can take a bus to town and taxies are reasonable and plentiful.

Room Tip: Who stays in their room when the sun is always there. Most rooms are 'ocean view' and have a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Surf Club every year since they have opened. We have seen all the changes Marriott has done since the beginning. They have greatly improved the beach situation, enlarged the pool lounging space, added an adult pool, enlarged the work-out room (and still enlarging the space as of now) enlarged the Captains Galley (outdoor eating area) and the Children's area. We bought pre-construction and always have our rooms in the Lighthouse Tower which we love.

The restaurants on the Island are great. Have had very few bad meals. We eat out about 3 times a week and cook in the rest. This time we ate at Barefoot (2 times,always wonderful food and a must go for sunset), Que Pasa?, Chalet Suisse (never had a bad meal), Marandi (great place with wonderful sunset, ate twice), Azzuro (great food but slow service), Yemanja Woodfire Grill (wonderful food), Chef's Table (dispointed in service this year) and Papamiento's.

We stay for 3 weeks and are staying for 4 next year. We always go when it is busy but miss the bad week in January although I hear it is not as bad anymore. The staff is wonderful and the rooms are always clean. If you have any problems just call housekeeping.

I did have a problem with the man who rents the umbrella's on the beach this year. Just be prepared! If you want shade and you didn't get a palapa you can always rent from him but his prices go from $25 to $45/day depending on what he can get. He will put them so close together that you can not walk to the ocean without hitting your head on one or without walking into someone. Remember that it is a public beach and if you want to sit where the umbrellas are you can. If Monty says you have to move or rent his umbrella and you don't want the shade he has to move his umbrella. If you have any problem just get a guard and they will call the police. Monty is not associated with Marriott and they are trying to get the Monty problem solved.

My husband loved the adult pool this year and I love the beach. We used both during this trip. We see many old friends and met new friends. Love to talk to people as I wait in the palapa line in the AM. I learn so many things about the Island. I'm not ususally an early riser but when I'm in Aruba I can't wait to get up and smell the ocean air and feel the warm breeze. Aruba is a wonderful place to just renew yourself. People that come back every year all say the same thing. We can't wait to return and just breath the Aruba air, feel the warm sun on our face and relax again for another happy vacation! HAVE FUN......

Room Tip: Lighthouse Tower closer to beach Building at back of the U highter floor great view Rooms on Ocean...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am writing this from Aruba so that my thoughts are fresh on the resort.

The positives: My family and I have been coming to the Surf Club for the past two years, and will be coming back annually for years to come. This is a family friendly destination that is teaming with families and retirees during the winter. If you have young children, this is a simply outstanding hotel as there are many pools and play areas. The food and service at the hotel are consisitently good. Also, the grounds of the hotel and kept immaculate despite the significant number of guests. Highlights of the hotel include the great rooms with killer views, the cheery staff, the friendly guests and the beautiful beach outside the hotel. And oh yes, the river pool is awesome. The location in the high rise area of Aruba is very convenient to getting to a lot the best restaurants and shops in the island.

The negatives: while the beach itself is beautiful, some of the rubbish from the beach occassionally gets in the water due to the strong winds at the beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Urbane_Biz_Traveler
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am sitting as we speak in front of the Lazy River. We come every year and the wireless is awesome as I can read the reviews. As I am sitting with Lou from New Hampshire. The big secert to get the primo chairs by the Lazy River by 730 am for this week only. Otherwise you can tag your chairs at 430 am like I do and play on the I pad with the wireless activity. The only negative is the American breakfast or 13 bucks. 2 small eggs 2 pieces of bacon 2 toast and a small hash brown pie. Nasty. But it is time to play bingo from my chair next to the activity center

More to come

3 Thank Matthew K
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have had our Timeshare for 7 years now.... and enjoy coming back every year. Like all resorts there are certain times you want to avoid (Christmas/New Years and Presidents week) There simply isn't enough outdoor space for all the people this resort can accommodate. Therefore getting up SUPER early to mark your chairs. But for the most part it is very nice.

They cleaning staff does a nice job, I am always pleased at how clean they keep this resort considering the amount of "child" traffic they get.

Stop at Kongs Grocery and stock up on food, beverages and booze because Marriott is a rip off in all of these areas. Happy hour is a joke, the drinks are so weak you could let your children drink them. If you take a little walk down the beach to the Playa Linda... there is an adorable beach bar hut set back almost up near the resort....They have the best bartenders and happy hour drinks for a great price!

We like how a short walk at night takes you to a ton of restaurants, so you don't even really need to rent a car!

Room Tip: poolside high up ocean view are the nice rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 2theT
United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a mega complex. People everywhere. You're never alone, but you can carve out a little quiet nook somewhere if that's what you enjoy. Everywhere you look, you see security. Really. They are very visible. We're not sure why the need is so great, but with this many guests, I guess the management sees the need. I asked a bartender about it, and he said they make sure to keep locals and other tourists out of the property, as well as making sure lazy river rules are followed and people are generally safe. Fitness center is large, clean, and nice. Many outdoor cooking grills are available and they are clean and used by many guests. Two hot tubs, a baby pool, a designated smoking area near the pool, shuffleboard, basketball, kids playground area, and an adult-only pool.

There is a sewage smell around the property. You get used to it, but it’s quite noticeable every day. The resort is very clean. Rooms are gorgeous all with a great view. Plenty of towels and kitchen accessories. I wish the rooms had more hooks and places to air dry towels and wet clothing. Resort is very family-oriented. Closest grocery store is Superfood, about a $10 cab ride one way. It's well worth it to pay $20 round trip plus groceries. It will pay for itself in one meal. We did hear a lot of crude language around the pool. Surprising how adults on vacation can forget about their manners.

Reserving biminis/palapas is indeed annoying. When you check in, they give you a tag for each member in your group. You must tag your chair to sit on it. If you are sitting on a chair without a tag, security asks where your tag is. We did get up early each day to reserve our chairs. As we came back down later to start our pool/beach time, it was hard to find an open spot.

Be careful with using the concierge for advice. They only offer suggestions for groups they have relationships with. So you won't find out from them about the other guys on the island who offer great services. Do your research at home and book excursions before you leave. They won't help you with your ideas, unless they already have a partnership with the group. No wifi in the rooms. Only hardwired. Bring your connectors or work on lobby’s or pool’s wifi.

Tip! It's windy here. Girls with long hair should plan to wear it back and forget about having good hair when you go outside. Bring an inner tube from home. Or buy one here at the hotel or grocery store. There is an air pump to blow it up over near the towel exchange. You can go in lazy river without a tube, but it’s more fun with one.

Overall, I'd say that it's a beautiful clean property with many restaurants within walking distance. But, it can be kinda loud. If you want a quiet place to relax at the pool, this is not the place.

Room Tip: higher floor as a better view. All rooms are ocean view, but the lower floors probably would have t...
2 Thank Thyme8
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Overall, our experience at the Surf Club was good but not outstanding. The building is rectangular in shape with the short side actually facing the ocean. This severely limits rooms with an ocean view and limits beachfront. We had been told that our suite was "ocean view." Actually it was another-building view, but we could see the beautiful ocean if we looked between the buildings to the left off our balcony,
Marriott beachfront is small and very crowded. The palapa event is kind of a kill-joy. I had to stand (or sit) in line for an hour just to get a decent spot for our family 5 or 6 rows back from the ocean. My day usually started at 6:30 when I had to drag myself downstairs to start standing in line. In fact on the second day, the view of the beach from our palapa was entirely obstructed by a couple who placed their biminis so close in front of us that from my lounge chair, my feet touched the back of one of the biminis. I asked the couple to move, but they politely ignored my request. The hotel staff said they were powerless to intervene, since the beach is public. In fact, a local business places large beach umbrellas in front of the first row of palapas that you can rent for $40, further obstructing our view of the ocean. There is a distinct odor of sewage between the hotel and the beach, but we never noticed it on the beach.
The water is a beautiful color but is turbid. The sky is deep blue. The sunsets are outstanding. The locals are friendly. Cab fares are reasonable. Prices high. Internet service is wired only, so I had to plug in next to the kitchen and use internet from there.
Rooms were clean. I had no problem with the service.
I did not use the lazy river, so I cannot comment on that.
If you plan to stay more that 3-4 days, take a cab to the local grocery store (Ling and Sons). Stock up on beer, liquor, breakfast food, lunch food and snaks. You'll save a bundle.
American customs is there on the island, so you don't have to go through customs in the States. If you tell 'em you have Cuban cigars, they'll rip 'em up in front of you (sigh).

4 Thank Michael B