“Cute Little Hotel - Excellent Value”

Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Cute Little Hotel - Excellent Value”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed for 3nights/4days (Mar 2-5) and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. From some negative reviews and room rate that is lower than other hotels in the area I was bracing for the worst.

However, when I arrived the staff was nice and helpful, the lobby was clean/neat with modern island decor, and the room was spotless. Tile floor, all-white beddings, lights, desk/night stands, rain shower heads, sink/toilet seat all looked brand new. Hangers in the closet were real wood hangers that you can remove normally, unlike the cheap kind that hook is permanently attached to the rod (I hate those kinds as if I'd steal them!) They even had a pair of brand new white waffle cotton robes and terry slippers in the closet. I was impressed.

Pool outside was small but clean with swim-up bar, plenty of sitting area with nice loungers, umbrellas, and sofa/table sets that looked very new as well. There is also a small gym on the first floor with a few machines, TV, towels and water and all the equipment looked pretty new.

Continental breakfast is served at their restaurant - a muffin, toast, croissant, fruits, ham or cheese, coffee/tea and orange juice.

Only a few minor negative would be the A/C (wall unit) being kind of loud and Wi-Fi connection was spotty, but this property had gone through major upgrading/renovation and overall I am very satisfied with my stay. I would definitely go back to Brickell Bay when I return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank sydneytheturtle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
florida
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We checked in for one night February 4,2012 at 4oclock and were told our room was not clean and we had to wait. I raised a fuss and all of the sudden they said it was clean. They gave us a room overlooking a parking lot. Little did I know the parking lot was for a night club, loud thumping noise all night. Our room was freezing and no blankets just a sheet. We were miserable. We told the front desk in the morning and the just gave a blank stare and told us to enjoy the rest of our vacation. The continental breakfast was really bad also with stale bread. Needless to say I would not recommend this place to my enimies.

Room Tip: don't go there
4 Thank bobbie111

Travelers are raving about these Palm - Eagle Beach hotels

Natal, RN
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The accommodations are simple but ok. But the service is awful! There are no employes enough. We spent almost one hour in a line of guests to proceed our check in! The breakfast service is very slowly and they aren't sympathetic. The rooms doesn't have light at their center. there is no fridge at the rooms. I won't get back there.

1 Thank fabiomti
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Reviewing this hotel is somewhat perspective based depending upon ones expectations. If you expect to have lots of ammenities and an immaculate room as shown in the professionally done photos you may be disappointed. If you are open minded and expect to spend little time in your room or on the property then this is the hotel for you.

Upon arrival we were ushered into an older room that had not as of yet been renovated nor was it well cleaned. I complained about the room and management attended the room with me and agreed that it had not been properly cleaned. The room was immediately cleaned and the following morning we were ushered into a different room that had recently been renovated and was wonderful. It was cleaned daily and the towels were changed very regularely but a few times we were missing a towel or two as we were three in the room but this was a very minor issue. The beds and bedding were very clean and comfortable as well.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the high rise hotel area and there are numerous restaurants, clubs and ample shopping within a minutes walk. The hotel is not situated on the beach but it is a walk of less than five minutes to get there. The hotel provides / made arrangements for both beach towels as well as beach chairs but if you wish to sit in a shaded area of the beach (hut,tent ect) you will need to pay extra.

The daily continental breakfast that is included with your stay at the hotel was very simple and included excellent fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee or tea as well as some toast, a muffin and a croisant was well as a couple of slices of fruit some cheese slices and a pieces of grilled ham. Unfortunately, each day was an adventure as there was little consistency as to what each person received at breakfast. Often one or two of the aformentioned items was missing (no muffin one day no croissant the next). However, if you wished you could order from the menu (and pay) for a more North American breakfast (bacon, eggs, pancakes) there or walk in any direction and get breakfast (reasonable price) at a number of nearby restaurants.

The hotel staff was generally very accomodating and helpful. I spoke with Juan Koyter, the hotel manager, as well as several of his staff including Giovanni (nmaintenance), Jo Ann Cremony (front desk) and Helen (spa manager) during my stay. All of them were very helpful and pleasant and easy to speak with. I had one issue where I wanted to make a reservation on the Jolly Pirate ship and was told by one of the front desk girls that it was not running as it was Carnaval weekend. I discovered the following day that it was running and had a fun time on it. I was a little disappointed with her not checking for me but as it was Carnaval I believe that it was an understandable mistake.

All in all the hotel suited the needs of me and my family as we did not expect five star high end accomodations and ammenities. It is a cute and comfortable hotel that appears to be moving forward with renovations and upgrades. I enjoyed my stay and would recomend it as a hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Buddy9714
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2012

It didn't start out so great but once I got to my room it was. The rooms are all newly renovated and neat and clean. The front desk help were very helpful and sympathetic because I was one of the first to check in and one of the last in my room. They kept telling me another half hour, another half hour, another half hour. Got over that. They were even willing to give me a free dinner at Tomato Charlies for the inconvenience, but I didn't take advantage of it. I just wanted to get to my room because I had plans to meet friends at Holiday Inn to watch the Super Bowl game. Stanley the bellman is an incredible and accommodating individual. Very helpful. I spent my first week at my timeshare and then checked into Brickell Bay for four nights. It was really great to be in the high rise area. Great location without paying $300 a night. Free internet in the internet lounge, continental breakfast included, and two complimentary drinks at the pool bar . It was a great value. I'd do it again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the Arawak Gardens so on a couple of nights I could hear all the music going on d...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank C C
Schwanewede, Germany
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Hotel Brickel Bay Beach Club, Palm Beach, Aruba

Validation and some impressions

Ok, I was looking for a middle class hotel in the price category up to 150 USD/night for a double room and found it via HRS. The first impression on the internet page of the hotel was positive. Therefore, we booked a double room with two Queen sized beds for 14 days. Price of USD 147.60 incl. breakfast per day was confirmed.
After arrival the first impression in the hotel was a little shock. We arrived at approx. 07:00 p.m. The lady at the front desk gave us the impression we were spoiling her evening. Instead of a friendly warm welcome we had to take stick over a checklist of obligations and rules. In the lobby workers did some intensive refurbishment with a lot of noise and dust.
Our room was ok, it was clean and size was as expected. Air condition was old fashioned and noisy. To switch it off you needed to pull the power plug from the socket. After one week of such unusual handling a maintenance manager unlocked a box under which a control panel was hidden. Why the control panel was hidden and locked he could not explain. The fridge was clean but rusty. It worked. TV was a brand new flat screen. Both beds were ok. On our arrival day the towels were formed like two swans in love sitting on our beds – a nice idea of the chambermaid.
Room service was done every day, sometimes twice. When you are asked in the evening by the room service if you need something more, be sure, you have checked the amount of the different towels. You should check and request what you did not get over the day.
Next day our mood started on a low level but increased every half hour. We visited the pool area, which was clean, refurbished and in good condition. Sufficient modern deck chairs standing around the pool and big umbrellas against the sun. You could lie in the sun or sit in little groups of outdoor lounge chairs around tables. The water in the pool was clean and also the near-by toilets were cleaned from time to time over the day.
Breakfast was served in a near-by restaurant in the same building. Continental breakfast (orange juice, coffee, some slices of toast, ham or chees, butter, jelly, muffin) was complimentary, but you could also ask for a menu to order breakfast according to your own wishes against payment. In case of a fully booked hotel the restaurant is running into problems during the “breakfast rush hour”. In such case you should show up before 08:15 or after 09:30.
On the first floor a small fitness room with 4 different PRECOR fitness machines was offered. Use was complimentary.
For the pool or the beach we got every day additional towels at the front desk, which should be returned at the end of the day.
At the beach (5 minutes walk way or less by hotel-owned beach shuttle) the hotel has an agreement with a chair rental agent. Deck-chairs in the front line w/o shadow were complimentary. If you wanted to lie in the shadow you had to pay on top.
Internet access was complimentary, but only possible in the area of the lobby. For using my own notebook I got an access code. But you also could use some computer places with notebooks of the hotel. The internet access was quick for normal use like e-mails or visiting Internet pages.
If we needed maintenance support we always got such support in short time and in a sufficient way.
One black spot remained. After two days we realized that the price the hotel charged us was slightly higher than the one, which was confirmed with the booking. The explanation of the hotel was an additional energy surcharge of 4 USD per day which was neither announced in the Internet offer nor when the booking was confirmed. The ladies at the front desk tried to blame our travel agent HRS who “obviously had forgotten this surcharge”. I doubt this explanation, because I believe that an Internet agent like HRS offers only what was given to them by the hotel itself. I claimed this additional money from HRS and their quality management took care of it. I was obviously not the only one who was faced with higher charges than confirmed with the booking. Some other guest reports show similar experience. Overall picture: the front desk is fighting for every rule and dollar, not seeing the hundreds of dollars they are losing with such behavior.
During our two-weeks-stay the refurbishment of the hotel continued, but the noise and dust we realized the first evening in the lobby was finished after two days.
Except the front desk on our arrival day the personnel was always friendly and supportive. May be it was not her day, when we arrived. Some training by the management might be helpful.
Final statement: The hotel is on a good way. We enjoyed our stay, even if not everything was perfect. The hotel is not a “bed castle” but managed by heart. They always try to improve and they are listening, if you have some hints or smaller complaints.
Palm Beach, Aruba, Febr. 2012
Dirk and Ulrike Brauckmann, Germany

5 Thank Dirk B
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Just got back this week from another week at the Brickell Bay, Feb 6-13, 2012. Flew with Sunquest direct from Toronto to Aruba. Again great pricing and full plane from Toronto to Aruba. Had a chance to meet many fellow travelllers on our flight and many more at the hotel from NY, ME, Iowa, PA and CT. No complaints from any of us, location was great and for return travellers it was a great location to use as a base to get around from. When you check in please do not be surprised by the Energy Tax of $ 5.95 USD per day. Sunquest does not advise you of this tax and it is shown on the BB website. Now for the review check in is busy when there is a whole bus load and when the Energy Tax is charged everyone usually gets annoyed with the girls behind the counter. Since this was our second trip we were not surprised and Regina held up pretty well from all of the irate patrons. Check-in was painless and we got what we had requested top floor room overlooking front of building. the GM also added a nice fruit basket for us returning again to the BB. Our room had been updated and as before was clean clean clean. No one sells this hotel at more than a 3 star so give then a break. The hotel is usually fully booked so it is hard for them to get everything updated in a timely manner. Elevator areas and rooms are getting updated all the time by the GM. The pool area is alot better from last year, new furniture, umbrellas and area around pool replanted. Nice place to hang out for an afternoon. We had a chance to watch them painting outside of the hotel all the week we were there. Again updating and upgrading ongoing. I had a chance to talk to the General Manager (GM) on a couple of occasions on this trip and he advises there are many more good changes to come. Internet is now local to the hotel, you can either use the free 30 mins daily in the lobby or out front of the hotel in the sitting area or use the local internet available in your room but there is a charge for this about $34.95 USD per week. I ended up using the free and it worked great. Breakfast is coffee, juice, and 3 1/2slices of toast pc of ham, muffin and croissant. This seemed to be enough for most of us but for $10 USD more you can upgrade to a full US breakfast, puchase coupon at front desk. Stanley the Doorman at the hotel is a fountain of information and if you need a rental, restaurant reservation or local knowledge he is the man to see. Juan Keyters is the GM and do not be surprised by his young age he is extremely capable. This is not a chain hotel it is an independent and the only one like this on the strip. Prices vary and are alot more at the big name hotesl and timeshares. Restaurant abound around the hotel and you must try ribs at Smokie Joes and anythings at Cafe Rembrant. Food is good and fairly priced for Canadians. Drinking water is amazing on the island, we ensured that we drank lots and lots of water again. A hint ensure you wear lots of sunscreen on your first day on the beach you will burn quite quickly an will suffer for the entire week. ( I speak from experience) We are looking at returning next year around the same time and hopefully for 2 weeks this time. Another couple on our flight is hoping to do the same. A week in Aruba in Feb is alot better that the week at home when it was -10 daytime and -20 nights. If we sound like fans of the Brickell Bay after two stays we definitely are and receommend to others.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the front of the hotel floor 3 or 4 away from the elevators, all rooms should be u...
5 Thank humster
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
The Mill Resort & Suites Aruba
The Mill Resort & Suites Aruba
#23 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa? Share your experiences!