“Awful. Simply Terrible.”

Mandara Spa Aruba Ocean Club
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I each got an 80 minute deep tissue massage. $400. A lot of money and a terrible waste of time and money. Here are some of the highlights:
1) the place was saturated with incense. It was so overwhelming that I had to go sit in another room just so I wouldn't get sick to my stomach. The smell was so intense that you can still smell it on our clothes 3 hours later.
2) we were introduced to a variety of scents that we could have applied to our skin. We not only didn't get the scent we wanted, we were slathered in baby oil. Whats the point of offering oils if you are going to use baby oil???
3) it was not a professional massage table. It was made of wood and creaked a lot. Granted they had some cushion, but it got very uncomfortable after awhile.
4) I have a situation with my neck that requires that the headrest gets tipped forward. Never been an issue anywhere I've ever gotten a massage. When I mentioned at the beginning of the massage that I had a problem, she told me she was sorry, but offered no other positions that could have been easier. I knew if I had called it off, got off the table ( which I should have) there would be an issue with management about reimbursement...so I stuck it out. Later when I told her my neck was cramping, she seemed insulted. I told her why and she acted like I had never said anything.
5) the floor leading to the massage rooms was soaking wet. When I asked what it was from she seemed clueless; " I think it is from the steam room". You THINK??? Could it have been from the toilets? It was especially gross as I was in my bare feet. They had no sandals to offer customers.
6) The locker room had empty supplies and the combs, brushes, etc were not sterilized. They had other people's hair in them. Nothing felt clean.
7) No working steam room
8) I have deep tissue massages often- have had bad ones and have had excellent ones. This I can say for sure: the massage technique was not professional; it was roughshod and not one bit relieving. Worst I've ever had in 20 years and that is saying a lot.
9) My husbands experience was equally rotten. Only his masseuse decided early on that he was not going to give him the deep tissue experience. He was going to get a light massage, like it or not.

I could not wait to get out of there. I'm now in significant pain that is going to require medication.

Wish I had sprung for the extra money and gone to the Ritz next door.

4  Thank LisaLouise2014

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Love having a massage, especially while on vacation. The place smells great and staff are extremely friendly. We stay next door at the Surf Club, so it is very convenient.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I had a great experience at the Mandara spa. The facilities were what I expected and the staff did let me know at booking that the steam room was broken. The staff and my masseuse, Nila, were all very professional and friendly. I very much enjoyed my massage and that Nila adjusted the pressure and areas I wanted to target. All in all, a great experience!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I went to this "spa" for some relaxation on Mothers Day during my vacation. What I experienced and the service, or lack thereof, will make sure I never return and I will let others know of their incredible lack of customer service.

First, the description you find on their website is incorrect. There is nothing luxurious about it. There is a steam shower that is broken and that is basically it. So, no relaxation other than your treatment.

Second, it's freezing in there. This was the cause of my disagreement with management. I got a massage and the freezing nature of the room while basically naked made the massage miserable and completely unrelaxing. I was shivering. I asked numerous times to please fix the temp and nothing was done.

When I went to talk to management, after a series of back and forth, they could not seem to understand why I was so upset at dropping a fair amount of money on a less than enjoyable experience. The manager claimed she only had power to do so much and indicated that people leave in mid-treatment sessions all the time if they don't like the experience or temperature. She said people complain about the temp all the time. The woman behind me in line said her hands were ice cold after just getting a manicure. I don't believe the onus should be on the paying client to walk out, it should be on the company to fix the problem. If they know it's so cold I told her to tell people in advance, but the manager looked at me as if I was crazy, because of course that will kill business.

In the end, they were completely unhelpful. Apparently customer service is dead at the Mandara Spa in Aruba. Don't go, it's not worth the hassle. If you have to spend a half hour of your vacation arguing with management, something is wrong. Go somewhere where customer service is king. I know I will, and I will make sure others do too. This place on,y cares about charging you even if it's a bad experience. Apparently, if they comped my service they complained they could not pay the masseuse and they would be out the cost of the oils (actual words from the manager). Go check their website, I think they could afford the $60 charge to earnings.

I am greatly disappointed.

6  Thank Ilana M
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Been going to the Ocean Club now for over 13 years, each year is a better experience. The renovations look great!! Special thanks to Wilma, Fernando, Ferdie and Maria....

1  Thank Charlie A