“********WARNING********MOLD IN ROOMS********”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
New York City, New York
“********WARNING********MOLD IN ROOMS********”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

First of all I must say that I am in my 40's and have been going to Aruba since I was a child. I have stayed at almost every timeshare and hotel in Palm Beach as well as Eagle Beach. I am extremely familiar with Aruba and what it has to offer. I have been reading the reviews about the Aruba Divi Phoenix for the past couple of years and couldn't wait for the construction of the new buildings to be completed. A couple of months ago I booked a 2 week stay at the end of August at the Divi Phoenix for my family of four including my two children and requested a room within one of the new buildings. Upon arrival at the Divi Phoenix, we checked in without incident and went to our room. As soon as we opened the door we were blasted in the face with a mold smell. We entered the room and I hoped I would get used to the horrible smell. After sitting in the living room area for about 15 minutes, my family and I couldn't take it anymore and went down to the front desk to see if we could switch rooms. The girl at the front desk gave us a room key to another room and let us see if it was better. I couldn't believe it, another room with the same mold smell. We went back to the desk and spoke with the manager who decided he would show us another room. The manager eventually showed us about 6 more rooms which were about the same with one of them just being cleaned by housekeeping using an extremely powerful citrus chemical in an attempt to hide the mold smell. I asked the manager if he smelled the mold as well as the chemical being used and he reluctantly agreed with us. With burning eyes from the citrus chemical vapors, we then went back to the front desk with the manager who agreed to give us a full refund for the two week pre-paid vacation. We then went to the Marriott Hotel and had a fantastic vacation in a "mold free" room. A couple of years ago we stayed at Casa del Mar which also had a room with a moldy smell where someone we were staying with got sick. After that trip I swore I would never subject myself and my family to those horrible conditions again. Casa del Mar is a very old timeshare and I guess the rooms in Aruba are susceptible to growing mold due to the weather and proximity to the ocean but the Divi Phoenix rooms we were looking at are new construction being only about 1 year old. How can these rooms have mold growth in them after such a short time? A couple of reviews back another person observed and complained of a mold smell in there room. Then the next review after that one says "Don't listen to the cry babies...this place rocks!!!!!!!" I am not a cry baby but if calling me a "cry baby" is what it takes to convey the message that the rooms have a moldy smell then OK, you can call me a "cry baby". I have been to Aruba more than 30 times and have never posted a review on any web site but after being so disappointed with our experience at the Divi Phoenix, I thought now is a great time to warn other potential Divi Phoenix guests what they have to look forward to. If a timeshare is what you seek then look at the Marriott Surf Club or for a more intimate timeshare look at Playa Linda. Hopefully the Divi Phoenix will use this review as constructive critism and resolve the moldy room issues they have. Good Luck!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank npd945

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Finnish first
Rye, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have not been to our Phoenix timeshare for six years and after reading the reviews we were very apprehensive about going back. I have to agree with the previous reviewer who spent their 10th anniversary there and thought it was wonderful. We just celebrated our 15th anniversary there. We were there for two weeks with our 2 children. The first week was in the old building which has updated furniture and it remains beautiful. As far as mold, in the 7 days we were there, the a/c vent emitted the mildewy smell only one night. It's not mold though, it's the a/c vent which we were told has to do with people leaving the doors open and shutting off the a/c. The second week we were in the new building where there was no smell at all. As far as bird poop that someone mentioned, there was very little on the outside of the terrace. The resort is very clean, the updates are wonderful with the additional pools, the beach is gorgeous and the staff were all very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rob1_10
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

Spent my 10 year anniversary at the Phoenix with my wife and it is truly wonderful. There IS an old building that most folks we talked to were NOT happy with so try to get the new rooms. We stayed in the new building and it's as nice as they get. As for the "mold" smell we NEVER experienced that once. Our air conditioning got the room FREEZING. Our water was VERY hot and the prssure was great. Refrigerator got the beer ICE cold. Nicest beach on Aruba bar none. We did eat at Pure Beach and also the Sunset Bistro and thouroughly enjoyed every meal. Staff is VERY friendly. We read the reviews in tripadviser prior to going and were skeptical but we were glad we tried it out. We in fact were laughing hysterically at anyone that could go ot a place so gorgeous and complain about such tiny crap! If you go here, and you have a bad time, it's you that sucks and not the destination!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank muskyhip
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well, i think my title explains it all, but, here is what happened to us in our stay in a few weeks ago...........My family of 4 and infant child (4 months old) visited the Divi as part of a wedding party. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite in the new Beach Tower over 6 months in advance and paid in full 30 days in advance of our arrival (which gave us no leeway in our negotiations (see below). Upon checking in, we were given rooms 841 and 842. We immediately noticed that the room smelled of mold and promptly called the front desk. We were told that there were no other 2 bedroom suites available and would have to be split up. This was not an acceptable arrangement, so we tried to accept the rooms we were given.

Later in the evening, the mold was unbearable, to the point that if the windows and doors were not open we would have trouble breathing. Upon examining the room, the night manager acknowledged the smell and moved our party to room 416 at 10pm - which was a less expensive room in the old tower (on the other side of the resort from where all of our friends were staying). We collectively decided that this room was good enough and would stay there. Well, when we called the front desk and told them that we would be willing to stay in this room, we were promptly told that we couldn't stay in this room for the remainder of our visit. We were told that we would have to vacate the room by Saturday, although we were not due to check-out until Monday. We were then given an option to move to a 3rd room - room 316 or rooms 611 and 612. We would have gladly moved to room 316 (the same room on the floor below us), however they had varnished the doors maybe 20 minutes before they tried to move us into the space, and the room smelled worse than the mold from chemicals in the varnish, which are toxic to our infant son - time #2 they tried to poison us. Our only remaining option was rooms 611 and 612, the first floor suite directly off the lobby, which we eventually took after fighting with management for 2 days. If we were not staying in this place with 25 of our friends (wedding party), then we would have gladly said good riddance to the place, and went to one of the resorts down the street, but were basically stuck.

I work in the construction industry, with over 10 years experience, and I am aware how mold develops. I have read previous guest reviews complaining of moldy/musty smells, and believe that the Divi was aware of the situation prior to booking my family in rooms 841 and 842. This is even more disturbing since the Divi knew that I was travelling with my infant son. Even one night of mold exposure could have posed a serious health risk. To make matters worse, it happened twice (see door varnish above). The manager even confirmed that the room had a problem, yet for some reason we were booked into it. Well, those of you who have children can understand how much of a pain it is to move into a room, pack your belongings, then move again, then be told you have to pack again and move one more time - WHILE ON VACATION!!!!. Needless to say, we were very unhappy, and felt that we should have been re-imbursed for our stay. The inconvenience of moving 3 days, of our 5 day vacation should have warranted more than a 150$ food and beverage credit which is all the Divi was able to give us after 3 horrible days of fighting with their management team, packing, unpacking, moving, etc. We kept the luggage cart in our room because we had to move so much........ We felt that there was complete negligence in booking our party in a room that was uninhabitable, and would never stay at another DIVI resort as long as we live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do your self a favor, do not stay here unless you want to be poisened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Kevin N
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I've been a Divi-Phoenix Timeshare owner since it was built- so for about 18 years now.
My experience at the Divi has always been a good one- have come back every single year since we bought the 2 bedroom villa #310.
The last few years the resort has been in dire need of renovation. Just came back yesterday and renovations have been completed and I must say the new part of the Divi Phoenix is gorgeous! The pools, the rooms, the Pure Beach Restaurant- everything was gorgeous.
However, the older- or original part of the resort is now disgusting! Yes, the bathrooms have gotten redone in the past couple of years, and if your lucky enough your tv's were replaced with a plasma, and it's possible you got a new fridge- oh and if you complain to member services, Rosy will be sure to remind you that your bed has recently been replaced- other than that, everything is like it was 18 years ago!
The musty smell in the other reviews have been confirmed that it's mold. Our pillowcase had blood on it. The hair on my shower wall was not mine. The air conditioner was set for 60 and the room never got below 75. Leave a cup of sprite on the counter over night and you'll see how many ants you have in your room when their all floating in the cup the next morning. The balcony has so much bird crap on it that you can't even go outside on your terrace anymore. And the furniture (besides the bed!) has been the same for the last few decades.
Yes, I'm pissed off. I paid a ton of money for a premium room, and continue to pay a ton of money every year in maintenance fees- and nothing has even been maintained; never-mind updated!
I figure just in my room alone $39,000 per year is collected in maintenance fees... It should be BEAUTIFUL. Instead, our money has been used to build the new part of the resort- which as I said before is gorgeous!
So that's where the confusion comes in why there's such mixed reviews. The new part- I'll highly recommend. The villas, the original tower, and the original pool- I'd stay away from if you have the ability to choose.
Oh, and a citronella candle would definitely be recommended if you don't want to get attacked by mosquitos at either restaurant at night. Mosquitos, flies and ants were never a problem before the iguanas were evicted from the property. Guess that's what happens when you destroy an ecosystem...

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Jpar1
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

Have been comingto the Phoenix for about 18 yrs...

This year was a treat... the opening of the new section has made the Phoenix go from a low end facility to a premier resort.

The new Pure Beach restaurant, swimup bar, new pools and new grounds have finally brought this resort into its own.

Prior to the opening of the new section of the resort, I was thinking of not returning, now I would return and recommend to friends....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank costatlanta
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I was a little iffy at first after reading about some of the negative reviews, but I am so pleased with the stay! There were a few small issues, but it did not take away from the trip at all! From the second I walked into the lobby to check-in, I was wowed. The lobby is beautiful-one of those open air lobbies that allow the almost constant Aruban breeze to blow through. The resort itself had the same open air feel throughout the buildings.

FOOD-----
There are several pools, one of which is connected to the Pure Beach restaurant and allows you to swim up to the bar for food and drinks. (At night, the pool is beautifully lit!) Pure Beach restaurant is amazing!. Everything that my friends and I ordered was spectacular and the drinks are about $7.50 each, which is not bad. We didn't feel the need to travel anywhere else for food, although they do have another restaurant called Sunset Bistro. We didn't eat there much because Pure Beach was so good, but they had a nice buffet and show one night. For both restaurants, because they are outdoors or on the beach so I would recommend bringing your own citronella candle if you are worried about mosquitos. What I also loved is that there are 3 bbq grills available for you to use whenever you want. After traveling to the supermarket by bus for $1.30, we came back with groceries and saved some money by bbqing a bit. It was great! PS-You don't need to carry around money at this place because everything can be charged back to the room. (Tip about the bus-The bus takes you to the supermarket and into downtown to shop, etc. It does go to the airport too if you transfer downtown, but the buses don't take luggage so you won't be able to save yourself the $25-$30 cabride from the airport.)

CONDO-----
I stayed in the 3 or 4 story villas that open up to the smaller pool and smaller jacuzzi area and the beach! Awesome view! I could always see how crowded the pool and jacuzzi was and if someone was on my favorite hammock, which was located on the beach. I was worried about the pool area getting loud, but the doors blocked out noise and because the resort was not crowded when we stayed, it never got loud.

My 2 friends and I stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. The bedroom had a king-size bed and my friend slept on the queen sized sleeper couch. There was a bathroom for the bedroom and for the living room space. The only issues I had was that one of the showers ran from the shower head and the bottom, even when in shower mode and that it didn't drain that well. Considering that housekeeping only comes in on Wednesday to do a full cleaning, (they give new towels and take out trash daily) the tub was not as clean as I would have liked. The cold water never got cold, so we had to let the warm water sit in the fridge to drink it. Also, it was pretty humid in the room but the air conditioner seemed to help with that. Those were my only issues with the stay, which amounts to practically nothing compared to how outstanding everything else was!

Beach-

Quiet and beautiful. At the end of the strip, but close to more active and crowded resorts if that's your thing. You could go out far without the water getting to deep and it was warm and calm-great for swimming and floating. There was a watersports tent right on the beach, where you could book parasailing, jet-skiing,and almost any other watersport you could think of. The beach had hammocks, lounge chairs, coconut umbrellas to get shade under, and occassionally someone would come by to take drink orders. Loved it!

I would definitely recommend this resort! Everyone was really nice and the resort activities were cool-live music on Sunday, the buffet and show, and Karaoke were the highlights for me!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends