“A wonderful time!”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A wonderful time!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

So I have to admit that at first I was a little disappointed as we were placed in the older villas. After looking at all of the beautiful pictures of rooms with granite counter tops, etc... I was hoping for one of those. However, I soon realized that the villas are the best place to be. They are super close to the beach, quieter, and have wonderful views. We spend very little time in the room, so granite counter tops wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway. We had a 1 bedroom unit on the 2nd floor. The living room and bedroom were very spacious. Each had doors going to the huge balcony and beautiful view. The kitchen was small and dated, but met our needs. The 2 bathrooms were both quite tiny with little space to move around. All in all the unit was clean and well maintained. We were very pleased overall. My parents had a studio unit and were also pleased.

We ate at Pure Beach on our first night. The food (hamburger, fish tacos) was wonderful, but service was slow. It took 30 minutes to get our food. Our waiter was super friendly though and did apologize for the wait time. It wasn't that big of a deal. We enjoyed relaxing and watching the beautiful sunset as we waited. Most staff we encountered were very friendly. My mom became ill one night. My dad went to Pure Beach to get her some Sprite. The bartender gave it to my dad on the house. When he saw my parents the next day, he said he hoped my mom was feeling better. I wish I knew his name, but we were very appreciative of his kindness.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful and maintained nicely. I will have to agree with other negative comments about the pool though. All pools were very dirty. Lots of debris floating as well as laying on the bottom. There was also some sort of oily film in the pool with the swim up bar. Granted it is very windy so stuff is going to blow into the pools, but it just seems their filtration system isn't working properly. Of course all of the kids running through the landscaping to jump into the next pool doesn't help either. I do think they need to designate at least 1 pool as adult only. We only sat at the pool one morning due to all of the kids and debris.

The beach was quite beautiful. I am an early riser, so was out to get a palapa by 6:30-6:45 each morning. There were typically 8-10 people already lined up. There were always still a few palapas available in the back corner by Pure Ocean at 9:00-10:00, so you don't necessarily have to get up early. If you have a favorite palapa or want one in the front row, I would suggest being out there by 6:30-7:00. Supposedly they will take back the palapa if you leave it for more than 2 hours, however, we never saw this rule enforced. Every morning some people wouldn't come to their palapa until 11:00 or later. Very annoying. If you are going to make the rule Divi, enforce it. I know Aruba is known for its wind, but WOW!!!! I do not remember it being so windy on our last trip. Many return guests said they hadn't seen it that windy before. We were sandblasted daily while laying on the beach. Quite painful and I think I'm still digging sand out of my ears. Certainly not the fault of the resort, just be aware.

This was our first stay on Palm Beach and I have to say that Divi Phoenix is the only resort I would stay at on this beach. Way too crowded by the other resorts. We liked being at the end of the beach slightly away from the other high rise hotels. The short 10-15 minute walk to shopping and restaurants didn't bother us at all. I do wish there was lighting by the old Westin. That stretch of boardwalk is very dark at night and a bit creepy. I'm sure once it opens as the new RIU there will once again be lights.

We had a wonderful time in Aruba. It was the perfect destination for this trip as we were celebrating my parent's anniversary. We wanted a place where they would feel safe to go out and about by themselves and where we didn't have to worry about hurricanes. Aruba fit the bill nicely, as did the Phoenix.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mcaribbean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel is very nice clean well maintained we stayed in a villa. House keeping was on top the rooms..the desk staff were not aware of LOCAL food.. Taxi service easy fast and did not over charge. The pools were clean great for family's and small children .we enjoyed the time there .. The only dislike was that it was too far from main area

Room Tip: The lower floors by the villas better for kids
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoanA518
houston, texas
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our first time to Aruba and I prefer cruising to land vacations. So I was not sure how I would like staying in the same place for a week. But this turned out to be wonderful. The resort, the sand, the beach, the water, the pool, the restaurants at the resort, live music. Everything wonderful. Loved it.

Room Tip: We were in the new section. Loved it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank txpositano
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is the fourth time I have stayed at this property and it still is great. You have actually 3 different type of buildings in this resort. When booking, make sure you are getting the "Beach Resort" which are condo's and the picture you see. They also have the tower which is the older part of the property, but has a fantastic view of the ocean, plus the villas. We stayed in a one bedroom with an adjuring studio which they call "2 bedroom unit". It was better than expected as the studio has a washer and dryer, full kitchen and a bathroom with whirlpool tube. It was bigger than I expected. Both units had their own porch/balcony. The staff is very helpful, with the pool bar staff friendly and the beach chair staff excellent in their service. Seems the food has been improved at the Pure Beach from my last stay. This resort I would call relaxing, so if looking for a lot of parties and loud activity, this is not for you. The good thing if you want that you can walk about 1/2 mile and you are the in heart of the High Rise Hotels. Bring rafts if you like to float in the water, the property has very calm water due to 2 jetty's that keep the water still. Great Sunsets and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Book the Beach Resort section, it is the newest section and the rooms are great.
2 Thank Island-Traveler23
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've lost count of how many times I've been to Aruba but we love the Phoenix and had another great vacation. Husband, myself and 2 kids (ages 5 and 2) stayed in July for 11 days. Had an issue at check-in but the manager solved it quickly- we thought he was really great. Staff, in general, were really great. We noticed a difference in service this year- much improved! Pure Beach staff were more efficient and most were very friendly! Their menu has been improved and we enjoyed it quite a bit. Locked ourselves out of the room one night and the front desk took care of it immediately. We loved our 1 bedroom unit- very spacious and clean. The pull- out sofa was horrific- no one slept well on that! Didn't realize until too late that housekeeping will bring an extra mattress. The pool, which lit up at night for swimming, was a favorite for my kids, as was the jacuzzi in the room. The pool attendant was always cleaning and always saying hello- he's great. Pool was clean- no smell as others have stated. The water taxi was great- driver was very pleasant. Awesome hotel perk! Would love to see more live music- the band was great but only saw them once. People seem to love the live entertainment. Nights are quiet. We didn't care for the new Palapa reservation system. One day, folks were MIA and staff removed their belongings and replaced them with a new family, only to have the first family come back to find all of their belongings gone, and it got ugly. Maybe a pool attendant needs to be there full time to intervene/assist in situations like that. It was crazy. Other than that, we love the Phoenix and we will be back!

3 Thank erads
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2014

If you're lucky enough to get an updated room, you're set for a wonderful stay! We saw the beautiful pictures online and were excited for our trip, however when we got there we were quite disappointed with our room. It was a very old, outdated room with chairs and couch that we wouldn't bear the thought of sitting on. There was a very musty smell in the room and the bathroom was uncomfortably small, barely space for one person. After going out supermarket shopping and buying microwaveable food, we realized our microwave was not working so we contacted Housekeeping service. We were so irritated by all of the issues with our room, we asked for a room switch. They went all out on trying to fix our issues but absolutely refused to switch our room, and there were definitely many empty rooms. We went through about 4 microwaves, each one not working until one finally worked. they gave us a dehumidifier for the musty smell and put a throw on top of the couch so we could sit. I must say they tried their best to help us without switching our room but it was just not the standard we were looking for.
Other than that, the resort is beautiful. 2 pools, best and quietest beach of the strip of hotels. Many water activities within short walking distance.

Room Tip: Call before to secure an updated room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed at the Divi Phoenix from 7/19/14 - 7/26/14. We were upgraded to a penthouse suite. Unit had a spiral staircase, nice, but a pain for luggage as BR's are on the 2nd floor. No oven, only a microwave. They told us it turns into a conventional oven, but no instructions and couldn't figure it out. Washer & dryer was very difficult to operate. They don't supply detergent, need to bring your own. I called for someone to help me operate the washer and dryer and no one came. They need to have a concierge assigned when you first arrive to walk you through the unit. The facility is beautiful and well kept. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. What ever we needed to know we were told. Pool and beach are nice. Just need to get up early and be at the towel hut by 6:30am to reserve your hut on the beach or pool as they go fast. Activities are limited and nothing to get excited about. 3 hotels down is the Radisson and on Tuesdays they have a barbeque with steel band, Carnival show with dancers in costumes, acrobatic and fire show and limbo contest. I wish The Divi would of had something like this. They play a lot of American music for a Caribbean resort and coming from the US you want that island feel and atmosphere. This hotel is the first resort on the high rise strip, so you either need to take a 10-15 minute walk to the start of the strip or a cab for $6. We walked a few times and the walkway starts as concrete and then turns to a dirt road and then changes to a concrete path again. If you are getting dressed up to hit the strip, clubs or restaurants you may not want to walk it. There is also a deli on the premises. They open at 6;00am. Friendly hostess but food is limited. My wife and daughter eat plain bagels. The bagels aren't delivered until 7:30am . When I went to get the bagels they only had one plain. I went back the next day no plains were delivered. There is a Super Foods Supermarket 10 minutes away by cab. Its costs $9 each way and costs an extra $3 on Sundays. Very strong trade winds everyday all day. If going to the beach, sand will blow on you for sure. Bring heavy clips to clip towels down on beach chairs or they will blow away. Afternoons the trade winds pick up more. All in all it wasn't terrible, but if I was to go back I would stay further down on the strip. I hope you find this info informative...

Room Tip: If you have a large family and little kids with lots of luggage don't take the penthouse. Stay o...
5 Thank Dean M