“Amazing vacation - can't wait to return”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We hadn't been back in about 10 yrs (had kids) - now that they're all graduated, we couldn't wait to head back. Curious how much had been built up & if the people & food were the same. Our vacation couldn't have been more perfect. Our room was a 1 bedroom w/2 full baths & a kitchen - very clean & well appointed. Our view was perfect - pool & ocean. We did not eat at Pure Ocean - but hung out at Pure Beach almost every night. They had some wonderful live bands - fun dancing music. The staff enjoyed helping us & we're very accommodating. We never had a problem getting a palapa on the beach in the AM. We met some new friends who we've been keeping in touch with & plan to visit. We're all also trying to get back to the same resort again in March. We loved every minute!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kgoody87
Write a ReviewReviews (1,818)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was our first stay at Divi Phoenix since becoming owners last fall, and I was somewhat apprehensive after reading scores of mixed reviews regarding check-in/out times, lounge availability, pool quality, etc. Well, read on.

Our flight was delayed on departure and we arrvied in Aruba along with 3 other International flights, so after a long wait for immigration I was anticipating the worst at check in. We arrived at the Divi desk at about 3:30 and there was one person ahead of me. When I stepped up to the desk I was advised my rooms were ready and I was unpacking within 15 minutes. Our rooms in tower 6 were well appointed and clean; I only noted some dust on the crown moldings of the living room tray celing. I made a mental note of this but forgot to mention it to housekeeping.

Wanting to make the most of a day that was primarily spent traveling, we quickly changed and headed to the pool. Though it was still prime time for sunbathers, we had no problem finding 4 lounges by the pool, and we could have gotten a beach palapa if we wanted. Over the course of the week this would prove to be the norm. No need to rush down and reserve lounges or umbrellas at the crack of dawn. My party of four adults routinely had our choice of settings.

We headed out to the supermarket on our first evening and stocked up for the week. The kitchen in our room had a 4 burner cooktop, microwave, full fridge with an icemaker, dishwasher... basically a full kitchen sans oven. Dishes, glasses, utensils, corkscrews, can openers, measuring cups, etc... all provided. There is a BBQ area provided near the pool, but I didn't get a chance to use it. Also in the room is a complicated washer/dryer combination unit that, once figured out, did the job but took an excruciatingly long time to complete a cycle. We learned to turn the unit on before leaving for the beach/pool/whatever. Same goes for the dishwasher - though it was simple and pretty quick, it was easily the noisiest I've heard in decades. There was also some trial and error with regard to the bathroom fixtures. Moden in appearance and design, they seem to look much better than they work. It took me a couple of tries to find the correct setting. My wife and I are bed snobs and were quite happy with the firm mattress that seemed brand new. The linens and other room appointments seemed top notch, but the closet hangers are the maddening anti-theft type that refuse to stay attached and drop to the floor whenever you touch an adjoining garment.

The facilty is quite nice and I made use of the on-site fitness center, particularly the treadmills. No issues at all here, and the center hours are convenient though I was puzzled as to why they would open later on weekends. We had lunch at Pure Beach one day which was convenient and reasonable, however our sunset dinner at Pure Ocean proved to be a spectacular sensory experience. I reserved a table on the beach and, with the help of some staffers, timed it just right. A beachcombing couple stopped and sat at the waters edge moments before sunset and it looked like something out of a sales brochure. (see pictures below) Oh, the food and service was pretty good, too!

The rest of the physical facility is up to par with the rest of the high rises on Eagle Beach. I like the location on the south end, away from the busy bars and noise, yet only a few minutes walk. Evenings on the balcony with an ocean view are quiet and peaceful. The staff is typical Aruba; friendly and waiting to help you in any way. We met Rooms Division Manager Pedro Vargas at a welcome party and mentioned that my wife and I were celebratng our 25th wedding anniversary. When we returned to our room that night there was a bottle of champagne with two glasses waiting for us!

There's always room for improvement, so here is my wish-list:

The Wi-Fi coverage was extraordinary and you can get good signal at the beach, but speed is lacking. It works fine for email and messaging, but streaming audio or video (Facetime, YouTube, etc) is near impossible. I mentioned this to Pedro and I believe an adjustment is in the works.

We didn't spend much time watching TV, but the one time I wanted to I was unable to watch an NHL playoff game due to a limited channel lineup. Many resorts have satellite systems in the lounges or other areas, but no dice. I had to go off site to catch the game.

I am not certain the pool filtration system was operating up to capacity. Though the water and overall pool quality was not bad, it was not great either despite staffers who seemed to be constantly skimming and cleaning. The hot tub heater has also been inoperative since at least December of '13.

Overall, I am quite happy with my ownership and I'm already looking forward to my December booking.

Room Tip: Families with children or those with mobility issues should aim for a less expensive Villa or a grou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rockhead261
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Traded into this resort for our very first trip to Aruba. We arrived before the 4pm check-in and our room was ready. First, we stayed at a first floor villa studio suite. The room was dated and had a really odd lay-out. Switched to an 8th floor tower room the next day which we liked better.

The pools were nice and the beach palapas are easy to get. The location is between Palm and Eagle beaches and not crowded at all. Easy walk to and from the main restaurant drag in Palm beach. However, walk back to the hotel after dark felt creepy because you need to walk past the abandoned/closed hotel. Power went out one night and came back on pretty quickly. But fuse broke on the 2nd elevator for a few days. So only one small elevator servicing a 13 or 14 floor building. Not fun on check-out day.

Overall a nice, relaxing stay but not quite the quality of our HGVC resorts.Will likely stay here again if we return to Aruba.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank workshy1234
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I loooovvvved this resort! The pools were huge and amazing. The layout of the resort was great as well. We were able to park right downstairs from our apartment. The one thing I didn't like was the buffet at the PureOcean restaurant. It also would have help if housekeeping actually knew english. But anywho, the resort served its purpose, & my trip was amazing. Can't wait till next year!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank melizee
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We’re just back from an exhilarating week in Aruba for the 2014 Soul Beach Music Festival. Lucky for us, we chose to stay at the Divi Aruba Phoenix. There, the people, the facilities and the amenities make it easy to kick back and unwind after a long day of partying (or shopping, or touring the sights, or doing nothing at all).
The Divi Aruba Phoenix sits on a secluded end of Palm Beach set slightly apart from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the high-rise hotel strip yet still within easy reach of the area’s restaurants and shopping. Read more and view our pictures here: http://www.caribsoultrek.com/divi-aruba-phoenix-review-a-great-hideaway-on-palm-beach/

Room Tip: Go for the one bedroom suite!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Caribsoultrek
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with some friends as they have timeshare here so I can't comment on the pricing but as far as hotels go this one is great. The view of the pool and the sea is amazing. The room was spacious with a nice kitchen and en suite bathroom. Fantastic location and great facilities.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Mullen89
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Today is our last day here. I wish we stayed for another week! I am not going to lie. I was a little apprehensive about this place after reading some reviews. I traded some HGVC points for a week here. I honestly cannot say one thing bad about this place. At check in, after reading reviews, we expected our room not to be ready and long lines. However, we checked in as soon as we arrived. And Catherine was so very pleasant! We walked to dinner every night. It is a short walk but usually took a cab back $6. I found the staff very friendly all the time. The bartenders Julia and others were very efficient! The palapa and towel horror stories I read on here didn't exist for us. We ate at the pure ocean and pure beach. Both were great! The washer and dryer have a lot to be desired. But I really do not feel like doing wash on vacation anyway. We will defintely come back. One day....

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sheebaak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!