“Get me out of here !”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
“Get me out of here !”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been an owner at Divi Phoenix since it was built. When I left on Sat I felt like I got out of JAIL. That's right. I went with an open mind and said I would overlook things. But as I entered my room it stunk from bug spray, and sure enough the room was infested with ants. I was constantly killing them They were in the kitchen and bedroom. They were even crawling on my make up. Then I asked for a cot so my son and daughter would not have to share the pullout. It was a piece of junk.I sent it back and they slept together. Had to call everyday to have them take it off my bill. Then when I went to my room my key did not work. Both of my hands were full and did not want to wake up my kids. A security guard was in the hall on her cell phone and would not open the door for me. She said it was against the rules. I said it was an emergency and that I am handicapped and she told me to go to front desk. I said RULES ! What about bugs and dirt and mold. Are they in the rules ? My daughter heard me and opened door. Still trying to stay calm ! LOL My lamp next to my bed was broken called for two days a few times a day. I finally took it to the front desk ! That is when I asked for a card to charge to my room. They asked me my room number and said sign this and never asked for ID. I could of gotten any room card. SOME RULES ! LOL Then try getting coffee in the morning . You can wait & wait. Just make it in your room. There is NO service in the restaurants. My kids would take out and it was horrible. We would just order from somewhere else and have it delivered. Rooms are filthy and full of mold. Nothing dries because of the moisture in the rooms. All my clean clothes came back wet and smelly. My son would not put his clothes in the draws because they smell. My older son refused to go to the Divi this year. We only went because my daughter wanted to. Another problem is that they never answer at the front desk. All their works need to go to hospitality school. They are not trained properly or not at all. If a guest is locked out of their room a guard should at least call the front desk and send someone to help. The tennis courts are locked and you are sent all over to find the key. The HVAC does not remove humidity from rooms. The filters are not changed or cleaned. The grounds are not cleaned. I could go on and on but I must go and wash and disinfect everything. I own at Playa Linda and Costa Linda and am very happy there. My family refers to the Phoenix as THE DIVI DUMP ! Anyone who doesn't agree is lying or is related to management !!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank mrsboo24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Finnish first
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have been coming to Aruba since '92 and have owned a room at the PHX since '96. I can easily say that after years and years of complaining, this will be my family's last year here. All they do is raise our maintenance with nothing to show for it. If I want to pay more money and never see any benefits, I'll stay home and pay my taxes. Let's start with the beach. It has some of the dirtiest sand I've ever seen. You're better off staying at the Costa Linda, Tropicana, Paradise, or Amsterdam manor and walk across the street to one of the greatest beaches in the world (Eagle Beach). The water is dirty. It's like swimming in a swamp. There's a new rule that has been implemented for the huts, where you can't come out and reserve it on your own. You now have to wait by the towel hut and reserve a hut through the employees. There are 80 huts for 240 rooms, and back when it was first come first serve, groups of friends traveling together would take turns waking up early in the morning to reserve huts for everyone. There are people who like to sit together on the beach and have a good time (pretty sure that's what a vacation is). I understand that the hotel wants to make it fair for everyone, so make the reservation 1 hut/room rather than 1 hut/person. It's absolute stupidity. Management said that they want the hotel's patrons to get more sleep, but we still go out every morning at 5:15am and wait for the towel hut to open up so we can reserve our hut. On top of all of that, god forbid you want to go back to your room at 7am (after reserving your spot) to get some sleep; if you leave your hut unattended for two hours, then security takes your hut back and offers it to someone who actually got some sleep. I'm gonna need a vacation after this one just to catch up on some sleep. Now onto the service. If you enjoy waiting 3 hours just to get water before your meal, then this place is perfect for you. After waiting those 3 hours, don't get your hopes up for good food. The restaurants here are called pure beach and pure ocean, but my friends and I have officially nicknamed it pure s***. The front desk and housekeeping is even worse. I decided to time how long it would take for them to bring me a pillow (not an extra pillow, a pillow that I need for the pullout couch), and 2 hours and 3 phone calls later, no pillows. While we're on the subject of housekeeping... there is none. They bring you fresh towels everyday, but if you want maid service, you have to pay an additional fee. You have to make your own bed, and if your room happens to be too dirty for your liking, I suggest you take a drive down to the supermarket and invest in a mop. So the hotel keeps raising maintenance and cutting costs (no maid service, and crappy service when you get it). Bottom line is, NEVER COME HERE. If you want to save some money and rent a time share, pay a little extra and go somewhere else. Any hotel on this strip of beaches is better than Divi Phx. The only hotel worse is probably "The Mill", and that's not even on the beach. When we come back from this s***hole, we're gonna sell our 2 weeks and never come back.

Room Tip: Just don't come here.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
19 Thank KeiranL696
MA
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We've been visiting Aruba and the Divi Phoenix for many years and love it for the following reasons:

1. Location - The Phoenix is located at the quiet end of the high rise hotel section. There is a concrete walkway (boardwalk) along the beach that connects the Divi to the other high rise hotels. It is a short walk to many restaurants and shops. There is a bus stop directly in front of the Phoenix if you need to go into town. The busses are reliable, safe and reasonably priced.
2. Grounds - The Divi is constantly upgrading the grounds. The beaches were expanded this past year as were the number of palapas. There has been a total transformation of the property within the past five years ... for the better! Free wifi was added this year.
3. Pools - There are three pools on the property; one with a swim up bar, one shallow wading pool and a third in front of the villas away from the new buildings. We visit annually in November and never have a problem finding an open lounge. The night time view overlooking the newer lighted pool is beautiful.
4. Beach - The beach is not overcrowded like many of the other hotels. We had no problem finding an open palapa anytime during the day. Those directly on the ocean are the first to fill up so if you need to be at waters' edge you'll have to be on the beach early.
5. Staff - The staff couldn't be more friendly. They remember you from year to year and go out of their way to make certain you're having a good time. Arubans in general are very friendly and welcoming people .. a trait not always found in other locations.
6. Rooms - The rooms are well appointed. Kitchens are stocked with everything you need to cook in if you so choose. There are also gas grills available next to the pools. Each room has an oceanfront balcony (some have two) with spectacular views. (Divi will be upgrading the rooms this year. Upgrades will include new kitchen appliances, cabinets, countertops, furniture and artwork.) There is also a great fitness facility on site .. included with your stay.
7. Food - There are two restaurants on site; Pure Beach and Pure Ocean. We found the food at Pure Beach to be very good and reasonably priced. I would not recommend the newly renovated Pure Ocean until management gets its act together. It used to be a great place to eat ... directly on the beach ... but has slipped terribly within the past year. There is a deli on site where you can get very good and reasonably priced salads and sandwiches. There are many good restaurants (from fast food to fine dining) within walking distance or a short cab ride from the Phoenix.
8. Weather - You can always rely on good weather in Aruba. Aruba sits below the hurricane belt ... very important during hurricane season. The temps are always in the 80's to low 90's with a constant breeze and showers are generally short lived.

Try Aruba and the Divi Phoenix. We think you'll love it!!

Room Tip: If staying in the tower get a room above the 5th floor for the best views of the ocean. The larger o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Arubasun00
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Divi Phoenix December 14th-22nd, just my husband and I. Our room was ready as soon as we got there but to my disappointment a room with an oceanview was not available. That was one of my requests when we initially booked our room. We had a studio suite in the beach towers. We were given a room on the second floor with no view of the ocean at all. The room itself was great, very modern and clean and I LOVED the large balconies that the second floor had. The bed was somewhat an issue, as the legs were broken or something. If you sat or moved on the bed wrong the legs would bend and almost fold. I was terrified the whole thing was going to fall to the ground.
My only other complaint (and my biggest complaint) was the swim up bar, it had the most awful smell. The smell of rotten fruit juice and garbage made sitting there almost unbearable. The flies were really bad too. Behind the pinacolada machine there was mold from juice splashing up on the wall. All the waiters and waitresses would dump any leftover drinks into a large bucket, and not very carefully. It was splashing every where and then would just sit there. The few times I sat at the bar, it really didn't look clean. I questioned if I should even get food/drinks there. The few things we did order off the menu was good. I really enjoyed the caesar salad and onion rings. Breakfast was alright, it had a large selection and the omelette station was very good.
We never had a problem getting a palapa, and we were usually down there around 8:30am or so. I wouldn't say we had a prime location, we were on the far end, up on that little hill but right on the water. The morning we left they changed the palapa rules and now they require you to reserve them. Glad we didn't have to deal with that mess, the line that morning was insane. Not sure if that was just a temporary thing because it was so busy over Christmas or what.
Overall we had a wonderful time and would stay at the Divi Phoenix again. The beach was amazing, probably one of the best on Palm Beach. It was a really good location. You could easily walk to the restaurants, nightlife and shopping. It's the first hotel in the highrise district so the beach was quiet, much quieter than a lot of the hotels down the way. We had rented a car and never had an issue with parking and it was a quick drive to Super Foods, the grocery store. Cabs were very easy to come by. You could have the front desk call one for you and there was usually one there within 5 minutes.
Thanks for the great vacation Divi Phoenix, maybe we'll see you again someday!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a room in the beach towers. Something higher so you can see the ocean...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oranjestad, Aruba
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I was debating whether to give 2 or 3 stars and ultimately decided to give 2 stars despite the fact that Aruba is a beautiful place and you can turn away from the hotel and look at a blue ocean and white sand and get an instant gratification.

However, if you are the kind of person who enjoys nice accommodations, professional staff and appropriate amenities, sand alone won't do it for you.

First, few points:

1. Location: too far from all other hotels. No sidewalk between Divi and Westin - just a dirt road. You can take a walk on a road along the beach but you have to path a police station and a hollow unpleasant stretch.
2. Pool: always in the shade and cold. The pool is colder than the ocean. At night it lights up with various colors that require you to keep shades drawn at all times because your room will be changing colors all night long. One light is broken and blinks fast.
3. Breakfast buffet: don't even bother. Food is flat out terrible. Coffee tastes like water they clean dishes with.
4. Rooms: cheap and cheesy furniture and accessories. Bathrooms have this Chinese whirlpool bathtub that is coming apart, leaks at every joint, etc. Shower cabin door width is less than the door opening by 2-3 inches. Generally everything - appliances, bathroom fictures, electronics, etc. is the lowest end available.
5. Other: when you check in you get 3 or 4 cards, one room key, one is for charging things to a room, one for towels, one is your resort ID. You can go crazy remembering what to do with all of them. Towels - one per card, and need to return old to get new. Forget one of the cards in the room need to go back.
6. Beach: very bad ocean floor - rocks, seaweed and shells. No sand at all. Westin next door has beautiful clean ocean floor.
Beach is narrow and small. If hotel is full, the beach is crowded - recall pool is cold and nobody wants to go there

Staff is generally incompetent and unprofessional but well meaning. Many, if not most, don't speak English at all! Every interaction takes a very long time. Even charging a credit card at front desk is something that is not trivial. No way to buy even a bottle of water after hours. Not even a vending machine.

Crowd is sketchy. Many more people smoke than in other Aruba hotels. The stench of cigarette smoke is everywhere -- people smoke at restaurant tables in front of their kids. Yuk. Many people have tatoos...

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Worldtraveller11937
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at the Divi in late August/early September. We shared a one bedroom suite with 2 friends. After paying an additional $880 for the additional two people, we were disappionted to find our suite not ready for them. The pull out sofa was not made up, nor were extra pillows provided. We did receive them when asked, but they should have been there when we arrived. The pool was not clean. We would see the staff cleaning the pool in the morning, but by afternoon, it was dirty -- the jets/filter did not appear to run during the day so the debris from the trees and people would collect along the sides and corners and there was always an oily sheen on the water.

Room service left a lot to be desired. They did not come to the room until approximately 4pm each day -- when we were back in the room and trying to relax or get cleaned up for the evening. A few times we had to call down for clean towels because they had not yet been in the room to replace them. On the last day, room service would not leave us alone. Although we had until noon to check out. They knocked on the door at least 10 times and made us feel unwelcome to stay any later. We finally gave up and left.

We did enjoy the staff in the restaurants and bars. They were friendly, helpful and on top of things. The food was generally good as well as the drinks - and we loved the atmosphere.

I would not return to this property. We went to the Turks and Caicos last year; spending about the same amount. The two islands / resorts are not comparable. The Divi could learn a lot from the Seven Stars Resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan R
Middleburg, VA
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We just got back from our 6th trip from the Divi Phoenix Beach Resort. We bought our piece of paradise five years ago and LOVE it! I wouldn't trade it for anything. We have the perfect beach, restaurants and location in Aruba.

Room Tip: Rooms in tower are the best for view and their balconys
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!