“Good Location, That's About it!”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
New York
“Good Location, That's About it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked a week at the Divi Aruba Phoenix through RCI. I would be much more upset if I paid full price!

Upon check-in we were greeted by an extremely rude bellman who refused to assist us with our luggage or to let us use one of the bell carts (because as he claimed, be was using them all).

The Divi put us into room 720, which was a good size and had a nice balcony overlooking pool. However the whole room smelled like mold, which made all our clothes smell. The drawers smelled so bad we couldn’t even put our clothes in them.

Time for a drink? Swim in pool? Good luck. Staff at swim up bar slow and ignores customers while that chat among themselves. No one at bar, but waited 25 minutes for a drink, which they treat you like they are doing you a favor in pouring. Found staff at Hyatt much friendlier, and spent week at other hotels.

Being and RCI guest, the hotel provides no information about stay and amenities. For example, you have to make your own bed and they only change sheets once a week. There is a free shuttle boat from 10-2, which we found out about day five. When we attempted to take boat one day, we were told they were going to lunch- total joke.

The only time the staff wanted to provide information was at the end of stay when Roland bombarded us with notes where he set meeting times (I’m on vacation thank you). Well we found out that was so Roland could try to sell us a timeshare!

My advice would be don’t pay money to stay here! If you have RCI use it for a base, and spend your days elsewhere.

4 Thank Ryan G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Finnish first
Smyrna, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This review comes after much reflection. Our Aruba vacation was wonderful but Divi Phoenix could use serious improvements. Calling it a "resort" is really a misnomer. It is a timeshare property on a gorgeous stretch of beach but it's no resort. Here's the rundown:
Pools/Beach
The pools are quite nice but be prepared to get to the pool (and beach) early as "chair hogs" put their towels out by 8am and typically don't return to use their spot until close to noon. Divi claims they remove articles left unattended for over two hours but we never saw that happen. They also don't enforce the "no one under 16 in the whirlpool" rule either. Huge turn-off to have toddlers in floaties in there! Also, there is NO bar service at the pool or beach. Most guests seemed to have given up waiting at the bar to be served and bring coolers with their own drinks.
Room
We had room 1202 in the "old tower". It had a wonderful view and was very spacious. As others have mentioned, decor is dated but we had no issues with functionality of bathrooms, kitchen, or A/C. The bed, however, was horrible. It had a hard mattress on bare springs and was noisier than a camp cot. Pillows were flat and hard. Elevators were slow and one broke down for the better part of a day. Hallways in the old tower are dirty.
Here's where we were really disappointed. Service at PureBeach (restaurant by pool) was very slow and when we raised concern to a woman who appeared to be a supervisor, she didn't seem to care. Front desk was not knowledgable of location of a common excursion and looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they rented DVDs(rooms all have a player). They don't rent DVDs and the desk didn't know of anywhere close by that does.
Location
This is what made the property good. As it is at the south end of the high-rise area, there isn't much walk-by traffic and the beach is quiet. It's right across the street from the Butterfly Farm and an easy 10 minute walk to great restaurants and casinos.
We'll return to Aruba but will likely try a true resort next time. Divi was acceptable for the price range but was lacking the warmth and hospitality that we like on vacation.

4 Thank seedospend
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I been to Aruba many times, but this was my first stay at the Divi Phoenix. Although I was probably one of the earliest arriving guest for the timeshare week (took a 6am flight out of JFK and arrived in AUA by 11am), they Initially, put me in a room on the bottom floor (felt like the basement) which had dim interior lighting and limited privacy on the outdoor patio. Fortunately they switched me to another room on the 8th floor the next day. That is when the vacation really started.

(+) Views of the sea and surrounding area from high rise balcony are stunning (see attached
photos)
Hammocks on the beach to relax were amazing
Beach not overcrowded so you were able to grab a chair easily
Ability to walk along the strip
Lots of amenities (eg. BBQ grill) to make the place feel homey/cozy

(-) Front desk could use extra training as they seem to lack knowledge about certain
aspects of the resort (e.g. reserving the Sunset Bar grill)
Room key kept deactivating repeatedly, which meant I kept having to go downstairs to front
desk for them to magnetize it
Bar Service personnel - not very attentive
Time share personnel were rude, once you decide not to buy.

The beach is ok, but not as good as upper Palm Beach or Eagle Beach. There are three sections, and only the middle section is swim worthy. Note: I'm a really picky beach snob (preference is for super white, powder fine, wide expanse beach with clear blue/green water) so feel free to take this comments with a grain of salt.

Overall, it's a beautiful resort in a nice location. The are members of the staff that definitely can use more training in customer service, but the stunning views from the room balcony and the hammocks makes it worthwhile to come back again.

Room Tip: Room 803 - Heaven!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gvoyagesatwordpress
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I exchanged through RCI for a week at Divi Phoenix. We requested a tower unit upon arrival and we were told we would have to pay an upgrade fee of $641.00. Suffering from travel fatigue and wanting nice unit, we agreed and were placed in the newer beach tower, rm 822. We soon realized that what we had was what we expected from a Gold Crown Resort and requested replacement and refund. That request was "politely" denied. However, the front desk manager did move us from a studio to a one bedroom at no additional cost. It was a beautiful unit, but had a musty smell and the grout in the tile was dirty. Upon reporting this, housekeeping brought in a dehumidifier, which helped somewhat but needed to be emptied twice a day.
The moral of this story is: Do not agree to an upgrade unless you need a jacuzzi tub, a washer/dryer (one unit) a dishwasher and an ice maker in the fridge. We needed none of the above and none of it was worth $641.00. Also if you are on a lower floor, your view is of the timeshare building and the noisy pool area. The ocean views from the main tower and the beach villas were much better.
Through it all, the staff always responded politely to all our complaints. We did get to see the "regular units" and I did not consider them "Gold Crown" but were ok.
I did not have enough information about the resort and made a poor decision (buyer beware) upon arrival.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank bellah12
West Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just came home yesterday from our vacation at the Divi Phoenix...spend two
glorious weeks relaxing...We have been coming to Aruba for 15 years and have
owned a time share for the last 3 years...I cannot say enough about how we
were treated by the entire staff...from the moment we checked in we truly felt
like we were on vacation...it was peaceful and quiet...the new Pure Ocean is
a nice upgrade...it looks so inviting...we had cocktails there at night before
we left to go to dinner...the beach is lovely and the Palipas are not on top of
each other like some of the other hotels...I walked every morning up the strip and
saw just how crowded the beaches are...special thanks to the front desk...always
a smile and very helpful...the activities girls were friendly especialy at the owners party...they did a great job of including everying in the festivities...thanks Michelle !!!the bartenders did a great job despite the fact that some people want everything yesterday....they do not have it easy with some folks shouting at them for drinks...hats of to Jorgie, Sandra, Derick, Jude and Julie...see you all in December...
Regards
Joanne
Newtown Square, Pa..

1 Thank Joanne H
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our third trip to Aruba. Previously we stayed in the low rise district at Costa Linda so were excited to stay in the High Rise district even if it is the very furthest resort to the strip. We stayed on the 4th floor, 1 bedroom in the newer buildings. It had a great view and a nice, but small balcony. The room was spacious, had two full baths and very nice kitchen and beds. Since we have been to Aruba twice before this trip, we did not desire to go on any tours. We just laid out by the pools and beach the whole trip. The beach was very nice. Not as nice as Eagle Beach but very nice. I had read about the nice large pool it had. It was nice, but I would not consider it that large and it was a very poor design for maximum seating around the pools! It was not near full capacity and all the chairs were taken by 8:30 a.m. Some days, we never saw the seats occupied even though they were reserved. There were only about 18 seats that were truly for the adult pool. The rest were between the adult and kiddie pool. No problem if you do not mind being splashed and playing kids at your feet most of the day. There is nothing wrong with playful kids in the pool, I just wish there was more "adult" seating for the adult pool. The one BIG complaint I have is, it was truly the worst bar service we have had in all our travels in the Caribbean and Mexico. We are not big drinkers, so we did not sit at the swim up bar. We do enjoy happy hour on our vacations. There is no pool service people that come and ask if you want anything to eat or drink. I think Divi is losing lots of revenue not having that service. I stood at the bar (no one at the bar) for 10 minutes while the guy behind the bar was doing something right in front of me. There was no "can I get you something?, How's your day?, can you wait just a minute, I need to get this taken care of?" NOTHING. I finally just took a plastic cup and went upstairs and made my own drink. We did not buy drinks after the 2nd day because the service was so bad. You would think that would be one area they would want to keep the customers happy. The pool cleaning guys were ten times more friendly! The front desk was great, always a smile and greeting. The lounge chairs are definitely due for an upgrade. It would take very little to make this a five star (except maybe the layout of the pool). We loved being so close to the strip but I don't know if we will come back to the Divi. It is great for young families.

2 Thank cshcdi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I chose this resort because of previous excellent reviews. Upon arrival our room was ready. We were greeted and promptly checked in. When we entered our room although clean there was a strong mildew/ mold smell. We asked to be moved as our three year old has severe allergies and asthma. The hotel was unable to accommodate our request, however one of the housekeeping supervisors provided a humidifier and said she would do her best to have our room changed the next day. We were later contacted and told we would have a new room the next day.
My family and I were thankful and decided to give the hotel eatery a try. We went to Pure beach restaurant and bar. It took nearly 50 minutes to receive our food. The food was brought to the table cold and it appeared that it had been sitting for awhile. When I attempted to bring it to the "supervisors," attention her response was, "didn't your waiter say he would bring you new plates?" It appeared as though was annoyed that we did not want to eat cold food, I believe her name was Juliann. Although my son's meal was free she still attempted to charge me for his meal as well. I am sad that after only our first night we want to return home. Praying that the remainder of our stay is better and the resort lives up to the positive comments. We will keep you posted.

• Stayed June 2013