“Great week at the Phoenix!”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Divi Phoenix June 8-15. When we arrived they were serving rum punch--always a good start. Check-in was a breeze. We were in the tower on the fifth floor. Even though we were in the older building, our room was a little dated, but very nice. It had everything we needed. The grounds were beautifully kept. All the staff were very friendly. The best part was that we didn't have to get up early to get a place on the beach! We ate one night at Pure Beach and it was very good, but a little pricey, as is everything on the island. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely would stay there again

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Illinoistraveler65

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Divi Aruba Pheonix Beach. This was our first time visiting Aruba. We traded our timeshare through RCI to stay at the Divi. Here is my review of our stay at the Divi. It is very long and detailed but I look to Tripadvisor for accurate reviews when I travel and I like to return the favor. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Divi an hope to return next year. At the end you will find any issues I feel are worth mentioning.

Arrival/Check-in: Upon arrival, we were greeted by pleasant staff members who made check-in pretty quick and easy. Check in as at 4pm but upon arrival at 1pm, our room was ready. We received a welcome package along with cards to be used for signing for drinks/food at the hotel's restaurant and towel cards, to be used to receive beach towels. We requested 6 (2 towels each) and that was not a problem at all. We were offerred a 1 bedroom unit which was on the ground level. I wasn't sure I wanted to be on that level since I wasn't familiar with the property, noise level, etc. My husband walked over to the room to check the location before we accepted and we agreed that it was fine.

Room: Our 1 bedroom unit was in building 7 which is part of the "new" towers which surround the main pool. The room was at ground level (room 713) with sliding glass doors which opened to a open patio (no gate or wall) with one step down to the pool/ground level. The room was very clean, bright and modern. There was a combination washer dryer which to me, is an issue.

Washer/Dryer: This was a combo washer/dryer, which I had never used before. They provide instructions (they do not provide washing detergent - I brought my own Tide Pods and they worked great). OK here is my problem - the capacity on this was about as large as the inside of a paper cup. DO NOT pack lightly thinking you will be using the washer dryer. We set it for 120 minutes total and the clothes were not dry. We did not overload the machine - we washed shorts/t-shirts/underwear/socks - nothing heavy duty. Unless you want to be a slave on vacation, you cannot do more than one load a day since you have to then run the dryer after you run the washer/dryer together for 2 hours. Not worth it. Pack lots of underwear.

Bedroom: We had one bedroom with a king sized bed, the smaller of two bathrooms (shower, sink with storage cabinet and toilet). It had large windows which looked out on the pool area. Closet with mirrored doors and storage within a dresser/night stands. Flat screen TV also. The only issue with our room (and it may have just been our unit) was that the bedroom door would NOT stay open. There was no door-stop, which we asked housekeeping for, but never received. Eventually we just used one of our sneakers to keep the door open. Not that big of a deal.

Living Room: The living room had sliding glass doors which opened on to the patio. It also had a pull-out couch which my son slept on every night. There was also a flat screen TV.

Kitchen: The kitchen was open and contained a large refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave/convection oven, cook top and coffee maker (hotel provides filters but not coffee). There is no actual oven. It also had a blender and cabinets for storage. Although there were only 3 of us staying in the unit, I found that there are not enough utensils. There was service for 4 which meant either constantly washing dishes/cups/plates/utensils or filling up the dishwasher and using it once a day (the hotel provides two packets of dishwashing detergant and I was not buying more. Another thing that was missing was a pasta strainer. Having a child who eats mac and cheese and pasta frequently, this would have been helpful.

Bathroom: The "main" bathroom, which is directly by the front door is large and contains a shower, jacuzzi tub, toilet, sink with storage cabinets and is quite large. We didn't use it frequently because it was by the entrance door at the front of the unit and the bedroom and pull out couch were at the far end of the unit. It would have been nicer to have a bathroom of that size with the bedroom.

Housekeeping: Housekeeping came by every day to replenish the bathroom towels. This was a pleasant surprise. They also took out the garbage. They did not clean, nor did we expect them to.

Grounds: The grounds were well kept and maintained. There was a supervisor who watched over the pool cleaning each morning (usually finished by 8am). The beach is very clean with a lot of palapas for shade. There is also a hot tub which seemed to be clean and was used frequently by other guests. The restaurant (Pure Beach) was very clean and pretty, with chairs and curtains in white linen. The hotel also has a small shop for incidentals (the prices are slightly higher than in the supermarket but for the convenience it was fine). There is also a Pure Deli which serves coffee, panini's, breakfast, and gelato. My husband had coffee from there every morning (double espresso) made by a very lovely woman and we had sandwhiches made before we departed for the airport which were very good.

Restaurant: Pure Beach was great for a casual lunch or dinner at the hotel. It is an open-air resturant and you are overlooking the beach. The menu was very nice (sandwhiches, fish tacos, great salads) and wasn't too expensive. The swim up bar (which is attached to the restaurant) serves food and has a nice happy hour from 4-6.

ISSUES: Upon arrival we noticed an extremely rambunctious and obnoxious family occupying the pool. There seemed to be one adult and perhaps 8 children of various ages. For the next two days they completely terrorized the hotel. The youngest child (perhaps 3 or 4) was TOLD by his mother, in earshot of my son, to urinate IN THE POOL because she didn't feel like taking him to the bathroom. He did indeed urinate in the pool, in front of my son. I reported this to the pool supervisor. The next day, another young child was told IN FRONT OF ME to urinite in the bushes next to the pool, which I witnessed. At the same time, the older children were up on the balcony (10th floor) throwing things down to the kids below and whistling at a pregnant woman as she passed by (who promptly and firmly told them off). There was absolutly no supervision and the mother sat there pouring the kids what appeared to be kool aid all day long. There was an older girl who had a pool noodle and throughout the day slapped it into the water to make a loud booming noise and smached the other children with it. This continued into the night of our first and second nights. I know other guests complained to management because there was talk around the pool about them. They took over the entire side of the pool and the other children were terrified to even go near it. After our second day they were gone. I don't know if they were asked to leave or if their "vacation" was over, but that was the day our vacation began. The entire atmosphere of the hotel changed as well as the dispositions of the other guests. I'm not sure why any of this was tolerated for as long as it was but I was just happy to not see them again.

The second issue is that on our second night in the hotel, a water pipe burst under the jacuzzi and flooded our room. Literally flooded - my sons flip flips were floating through the kitchen. We called the front desk and security came immediately and pulled the jaccuzi apart and turned off the water. My husband spent about 30 minutes sweeping water out of the room. We lost an entire nights sleep and all of our pool towels. Housekeeping came the next morning to clean (they showed up at 9:30 although I was promised they would be there at 7:30 am and I had to ask the front desk twice when they were coming). They did a very good job of cleaning up and replacing all the towels we used to sop up the water. The cleaning supervisor appologized but I never heard from management. The day before checkout, I phoned hotel management to discuss the fact that I wasn't satisfied with the follow up. They were very appologetic and sent a nice bottle of wine.

We are looking forward to returning - despite a few glitches (which could happen anywhere and could be worse) we were very happy with the Divi, the staff and the location.

Room Tip: If you have small children (who can swim), get a ground level room in the new tower - you have the l...
3  Thank Lolabelle324
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I own a timeshare here and haven't been back in a couple of years. I have previously stayed in the new section, but this time, I stayed in Villas unit where I originally bought. What a pleasant surprise. The room was even better than the new section due to its location. Second floor ocean front and I mean oceanfront. Walk downstairs and you're on the beach. The unit was well maintained, huge, and no issues whatsoever. In this section, there are no washer/dryers or dishwashers if you care. These items were a nonissue for me. There are BBQ grills right outside the unit also. It's on the quieter side of the resort which I enjoyed. Did not eat at Pure Ocean, but enjoyed time and food at Pure Beach. Having been in Aruba many times, this time I spent time at more local eateries. Phenomenal.

Room Tip: Room 207 if one br, 206 if two br. Both units are about the same size so the one br is huge.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjjesq
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just returned after staying 6 days and the place was great. A nice quiet resort, great service and accommodations, clean, and in a perfect location (walking distance to great restaurants, malls, shops). We never had a problem finding a good spot on the beach or at the pool. Dinner on the beach at Pure Ocean was delicious, affordable and romantic. Our only negative would have been the service at the Pure Beach pool bar was a bit slow. Otherwise, it was a great trip. Zariena from Guest Services was the BEST. She gave us some great dinner recommendations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mvisaggip
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed one week June 9 thru the15th in the new section and just loved this resort very clean. We would stay here again. This is a great location we rented a car for the week ..this made getting around very easy.

Room Tip: Ask for the new section we would not stay in the tower
1  Thank geri1
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have been visiting Aruba since 2004 always staying at the Hyatt Regency. However, when it came time to invest in the Island, the Divi Phoenix offered such amazing accommodations and opportunities to be an official owner in our little piece of the OneHappyIsland, we were amazed at the affordability and amenities offered by the Divi. The staff are outstanding and of the highest quality and all of our needs have always been addressed. We love it and are so happy to be part of the Divi family! The only criticism I could offer to the Divi is to obtain a chef that will bring your restaurants to the Aruba standard of excellent food that is so well known. Otherwise, just a spectacular time as always. SRP

Room Tip: Tower is outdated in style and comfort, would recommend the villas or new section if you can afford...
2  Thank Parkesa69
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our third time staying at the Phoenix. The rooms, service, and location are great. Stay in the new building if you can. The condos are excellent and feel like home. We stayed in 924 which is on the second floor, two balcony’s with one directly facing the beach. The room also had a hot tub in the bathroom which lights up.
They serve free rum punches on Saturday, free drinks/apps on Monday night, and offer happy hour at both restaurant locations.
Pure Ocean restaurant is now open and offers amazing views and tables in the sand.
The pool is awesome and lights up at night. They have a “hot” tub and a “cool” tub.
The only negative is the smell of Iguana “poo” around the pool. Since there are so many on the island, its hard to keep track of all…just takes a little getting used to.
They do offer timeshare tours and mention you get a 7 night “resort getaway” as a gift for doing the tour. The “getaway” has a $100 redemption fee and charges for booking the trip…..so for doing the timeshare you will basically come away with free breakfast, $50 discount to restaurants/island activities….and an opportunity to take a “resort getaway” if you want to pay for it.

2  Thank Brett A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!