“Favorite Hotel on the Island”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Woodbury, New York
“Favorite Hotel on the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have not wanted to review this hotel because I feel like it is our family's secret treasure in Aruba. The rooms at the new Phoenix tower are huge, spacious and clean. The beach is quiet and the crowd is always calm and serene. I have visited the Marriott, Westin, RIU and Hyatt properties before and the property and beaches are jam packed with tourists and screaming children swimming in diapers... this is not the scene at the Phoenix, even when they are at full capacity. I assume because this property is NOT an all inclusive, it attracts more couples than families.

I love the very spacious kitchen in the suites, and typically hotel kitchenettes creep me out - but these are fabulous!! Exceptionally clean and modern with granite counter tops, new appliances, dishes, toaster, coffee maker, pots, blender (for smoothies & margaritas) pans, utensils - everything! We actually cook breakfast in our room during our stays and eat on the balcony... it is fabulous. There is also a washer and dryer in each unit. Though they do not work that great - it is better than nothing at all!

Pure Beach (the all white restaurant and bar) is wonderful. It has an amazing Miami vibe with great music and spectacular views. The Tuna Nicoise Salad is our favorite... it is so good we order it all week. Try it with their brisk and chilled Sauvignon blanc or an Amstel Bright.

This property is amazing and we visit it 2-4 times a year for the ultimate relaxation in paradise. We would never stay anywhere else... until the Ritz opens... I will have to try that out!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ScentCurious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Finnish first
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I came on her honeymoon. We were immediately struck by the lobby (it's awesome, open air) and the ocean view from our hotel room. We were in the large, older tower and our balcony faced the beach. Every morning, we'd open the curtains and just marvel at the view. Our unit had a small kitchenette with a fridge, convection oven/microwave, stove and was fully stocked with utensils. The little store downstairs was limited, but you can get a taxi to take you to the Super Food Plaza to go shopping (the cab will wait, and the fare is about $36 roundtrip and with waiting). The bed was comfortable and the small bathroom was adequate. We definitely enjoyed our stay, but there were a couple of things that were a bit annoying. First off, no room service. Not that I'm all about room service, but it's really nice to have the option when you get in off a REALLY long travel day and just want to chill out for the evening. Next, the Pure Beach bar has really gross food and slow service. Also, we got at least two letters trying to get us to come to a timeshare presentation (NO THANK YOU). Housekeeping is spotty, if you request something they will take a REALLY long time to bring it (like 2 or so hours)...and you will have to call twice. However, the Sunset Beach or Pure Ocean (I'm not sure what it's called) restaurant is phenomenal and you can have dinner right on the beach. The beach wasn't too crowded, and we were always able to find a chair quickly when we went down. Would I come back to this particular resort? Probably not, but it was a good place for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for the big tower, facing the beach. The other buildings are newer, but without the view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jackeemarie
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The resort was very nice! It is well maintained and clean and the people and services were great. The beach area is nice and private and away from the other high rises. There are plenty of beach chairs and lot of shelter areas. The pool is also well maintained and available all day with no time restrictions and has a pull up bar area. The resort has barbeque units available for use all day.

Aruba is known as the happy island and definitely live up to that expectations. The Island is small, very safe and people are very friendly. The resort is only a very short walk to the main strip that has all kinds of restaurants, shops, cafes, etc.

The weather is Aruba is always guaranteed to be mostly sunny with the odd shower from time to time. I have been there 3 times and I have seen rain only 2 times for a very short period.

Love Divi Phoenix Resort and would recommend to anyone!!!!

Tony

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PierriA
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Divi is in a very nice location. You are away from the crowded beach but an easy walk in the evening. The beach is fabulous and the pool is terrific. The beach bar is very nice. The beach chairs are plentiful you may not always get a roof but plenty of shade and sun. I was pleasantly suprised. The Wi Fi in our room 4th floor was very good. It is definitely worth the $50 if you need the internet.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean a higher level room would be most ideal to see the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank juslivin
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

The place looks nice.
I am an RCI member.  I am staying 2 weeks but could not get a room the last 4 nights of my stay without having to PAY CASH.  RCI did not have an RCI room.  The manager said there were many but he would have to charge me cash.  Orbitz and Expedia, and diviresorts.com to name a few had many rooms here also but again I would have to pay cash.

I FEEL STUPID PAYING $17,000 & $23,500 to purchase timeshares and paying a yearly maintenance fee of $3,425 especially when I whitness non-members getting in when I cannot.  I can now see why some people say timeshares are a rip off.

I had to pay for an additional bed and breakfast for my last 4 days which cost $600+.  It was that or go home 4 days early and pay American Airlines an additional $1,000.

First when I walked into the room there were dirty shoe prints.

After I ate, I went to clean the dishes and the dish soap ran out of the container like water; it was heavily watered down.  Much like the drinks here are.  They pour only 1/2 shots.  I watched.  And the food is pricy.

Later in the evening I took a shower.  One of the two  "clean" towels had make-up on it or freshblood.  Regardless, it was not clean.  Then I got the hair blower out.  It was broken and because of the time of night I could not get a new one.

Also the TV channel menu was not down loading.

If you want internet service it costs and they do not have (VOIP) Voice Over Internet Protocol.  So no phone calls w/o having to pay $1.99 a minute.

The head of houskeeping just arrived and assured me I would not have to pay for an additional cleaning.  ☺

This is day 2 so stay tuned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KathleenFras
Falmouth, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the Divi in both the tower and villas in 12/22/12 thru 01/6/13. The only complaints we have is just some of the services (telephone and tv remote problems). The tower doesn't have the modern conveniences in the kitchens, but very, very clean and beautiful views from nice private balconies. The units are nice, just not as new and modern as the villas. We were not disappointed at all. The villas are REALLY nice, well furnished, new and modern, just don't stay in the first and 2nd building (near the lobby) if you don't want to hear children "noise" all day. The units are right over the "kiddie" pool, so you can't miss it if you like to enjoy your balcony. The balconies are not very private at all. We stayed on the 4rth floor, so if you want to stay away from the noise, stay in the buildings closer to the beach in back of the restaurant. Yes I would definitely go back and stay again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darleen_8
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Divi Aruba Phoenix in December, second time in Aruba but first at Divi and we will never return to this hotel. We were there for two nights and then checked into the Radisson where everything was simply better.
Everything is really slow at Divi hotel from checking in to getting a cup of coffee, everything required at least 15 minutes wait. Not to mention the wait for the elevator as well, only one out of two elevators was working one day.
Also the day of our departure an hour before check out time, maintenance people knocked on our door to come and fix the sofa bed. I asked if they can do it after we check out as we were packing but they insisted on coming in.
We travel a lot and this hotel has the worst customer service we experienced. The only slight positive for this hotel is the beach location.

Stayed December 2012