“Flying high at the Phoenix”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After one week at the Divi Golf we spent our second week at the Phoenix. We stopped in Wednesday prior to our arrival on Saturday and requested a room on a higher floor so we would have a view of the ocean. On Saturday we checked out of the Divi Golf and took the kids to the Airport and we arrived around noon but could not check in til round 2:00. They gave us a room on the 6Th floor, room 860. No problems waiting for elevators. All I can say is marvelous. Awesome view of the ocean, 2 huge bathrooms, one with a jacuzzi tub. The kitchen was updated with granite counter tops and Stainless steel appliances. It was stocked with blender, coffee maker and dishes and utensils. Also had dish soap and dishwasher. Washer/Dryer combo, not a fan. had a hard time with the dryer. We could lay in bed and see a view of the ocean. In the evening the pool lite up with different colors. The balconies are somewhat small, fine for 2 people. Nice beach, probably the best location on Palm As a lot of people have pointed out there is that issue with people saving there place on the beach and not showing up to use it til later in the day. It has a very nice pool with a swim up bar. This hotel is in walking distance of many restaurants, shopping and casinos. They also have a complimentary water taxi that will take you to other areas on Palm beach too.
We had a rental car so we could drive to restaurants, our first meal was at Aqua Grill. After coming to Aruba 5 times, this was our first disappointing dinning experience that was like eating in a cafeteria, loud, food was bland and we felt rushed.
Chalet Suisse, This was a much better experience. Good ambiance and very good food.
Barney's, Excellent and they have WIFI that we used
El Gacho, I would have to say this was our best meal of the week. Excellent steak and Grouper. For desert we had the White chocolate and Chocolate mouse cake. After our meal we went across the street to the bar on the corner. Garufa Cigar and Cocktail Lounge. They had a entertainer playing a Saxophone and you could request songs. It doesn't get better than Martinis, Cuban Cigars and good music.
Rembrandts, This was always a repeat for us. Meals always good but the raised there prices on the Balashi's. Almost doubled from what they used to be.
The other nights we ate at 5 Burgers, good and cheap. We ate at the Crepe stand also, across from the Holiday Inn. You don't have to spend a fortune on every meal. We go the the grocery store and I pack a lunch and a cooler of Balashi for the beach during the day. There is also Scott's Brats by the PlayaLinda that serves food for Breakfast and Lunch for a reasonable price. We also drive to JJ'S Snack Shack on the road from the Light house to Noord. 2 Cheeseburgers and Balashi's $10. another tip is if your hanging around the palm beach area and your thirsty the gift shops all sell beer by the bottle for a lot less then the bars and restaurants, also there is a convenient store in the Hacienda shopping mall that sells bottles of beer for around $1.50 and they will open them for you. We also found a bakery just outside of Santa Cruise that offers fresh pastries and other baked goods. They had rolled pinwheels with meat and cheeses too. The nice lady asked me what i wanted and I told her everything it all looked so good.
We walked to Linda's Pancakes, Delicious
We found a new snorkeling spot, Mangel Halto Beach, very shallow. My husband snorkeled out quit ways and saw many fish and Baby Beach. We went on The Black Pearl for a sunset cruise. Very nice, we stopped at one place to snorkel. They served us drinks and Grilled Cheese sandwiches.
If you walk along the beach there is a board walk which runs almost the entire length of palm beach there are a lot of bars with a lot of happy hours! at the Divi Phoenix they have happy hour from 4 to 6 just about everyday, we also liked the happy hours at Bugaloos 4 to 5 which is a very cool bar on a pair in front of the riu, also another cool place with a great atmosphere is moombas which is located between the holiday inn and Marriott there happy hour is from 5 to 6.
but our favorite is at a bar in front of the Playa Linda next to scotts brats, not sure of the name, but their happy hour runs from 12 to 4 then again from 6 to 9 awesome! they also have WIFI . over all we enjoyed are stay at the Phoenix, me and my husband agreed we like the low rise area and staying at Divi golf better, but that's just a personal preference either one you can"t go wrong I think our next trip to Aruba we will do the same one week at each then we get the best of both worlds. this being our 5th trip to Aruba you would think maybe we would start getting sick of it, but its just the opposite the more you go the more you know, it really lives up to its billing as [ one happy island] it truly is especially if you take sometime and explore what it has to offer outside the tourist areas!

5  Thank TETO21
Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This will be our 4th trip to Aruba and WOULD have been our 2nd visit to The Divi Phoenix but because the hotel booked an "event" for what would be our 4th night of our seven night stay we are unable to stay there. All this under normal circumstances would be just fine, but I am very limited to where I can stay with my children especially when traveling abroad because both of my children have multiple severe food allergies. I have to send two coolers with their foods in them down on the plane with us in addition to visiting the supermarket when we arrive. Therefor I NEED a hotel with a full kitchen... ITS NOT A CHOICE! So based on our first experience at the Divi we tried to book our upcoming stay there as well only to be told that all because of ONE NIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR STAY they could not accommodate us. We call the hotel direct and spoke to a girl who not only sounded 12 but answered my questions as if that was her exact age. All she could say was "Sorry Ma'am" and when I asked a question she sat there in silence or put me on hold. Sad excuse for customer service. Sad excuse for management who didn't even have the decency to get on the phone and speak to me. So...... thank you so much DIVI PHOENIX for destroying any chance of us ever returning to the Divi and you better believe many more people will be discouraged rom booking there as well after seeing how you treat returning guests! DISGUSTING!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank antjodi
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have owned a time share at the Phoenix for 11 years. I have to say I love Aruba and look forward to going every year. The Phoenix is clean, friendly and the staff very attentive.
I also like the Phoenix because it is not clumped in with all the other high rises and is the first one coming from the center of town. It is only a short walk to all the casino's and restaurants that are there and if you don't mind walking it's perfect to stroll along the boardwalk that connects all the high rises in the evening at sunset and explore a new place to eat.
The only thing I find annoying with staying is that you have to get up very early in the morning in order to get a hut. I think there is a better way to handle the huts. I know at some of the other resorts it is handled differently. Also there is a large jacuzzi not far from the pool and swim up bar and parents have decided to take up home there with their very small children even though the Phoenix has provided a very large wading pool for small children. The service at Pure Beach restaurant was slower than usually and our waiter had to be reminded more than once when we requested sweetener and Ketchup. The food is also average. I do believe with the wonder view and everything else Pure Beach restaurant could be one of the very best restaurant along the high rises.
I would highly recommend the Phoenix for honeymooners, older couples and even singles. I don't feel it is a place for children because it doesn't cater to children and has nothing for them to do. They do not offer programs like some of the other resorts more child friendly..like the Marriott ...or the Riu. And if you really don't want to hear screaming children do not go during school vacations. I leave just before school vacation week, third week in Feb. and the Friday night before I left there were at least 7 children between the ages of 4-7 in the jacuzzi ..all of which were screaming and yelling and their parents were know where to be seen. Jacuzzi are not a play yard!!!

Room Tip: In the tower you have excellent views of the ocean and sunsets...in the villa's you are around t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank buel1950
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went to the Divi Phoenix on may 2012 and had a great time. We had a room with kitchen, 2 bathrooms and small living room. Very comfortable, we cooked some meals in the kitchen to save some money and everything went well. The beach is gorgeous most of our time was spent here, pool was really good too. I am not sure if we went maybe in low season but not much activities while there, mostly quiet. We had breakfast included and cant say enough of employees in the breakfast restaurant, they went out of their way to make us feel home and happy. Overall experience was good but in future maybe will look for a place with more activity and nightlife.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just got back from a 4 night/5 day vacation at the Divi Phoenix. This was our 2nd time in Aruba and our 1st time staying at the Divi Phoenix. We read a lot of reviews before booking this vacation and weren't sure how our stay would go here but overall things were great. As we walked into the front desk area to check in we noticed right away all the luggage piled up. Not a good sign at first and were expecting our suitcases to join the others however we were able to check in within 15 minutes and to our surprise the Divi had upgraded our studio to a one bedroom suite with no extra charge AND it was available for early check in...nice. We get our room keys, our 4 beach towel cards and welcome reading material and head off to find our room. Our room was located in the newer beach tower. We were on the ground floor which my husband and I weren't too happy with at first but when we entered the room and checked everything out we were very happy with the room and location. Nothing beat opening up our patio door and walking over to Pure Beach to grab drinks, jump in the pool or listen to the band. No stairs and/or elevator to deal with. We had just as a nice view of the ocean as those above us had. Our room also had an awesome view of the stage at Pure Beach so after soaking in the sun at the beach we would head back to the room, grab some beers at Pure Beach, sit on the patio and listen to the band and watch the people dance. Some of the previous reviews had commented on the staff and I have to say that overall the staff were great. We had Jude, Sandra, Lilo and Kimmy wait on us at Pure Beach. We also shopped several times in the gift shop store. While I didn't find the staff down out nasty, you can tell that this is their job and that they can at times come across as lacking the passion for doing it. Sometimes I felt that it was a bother for them to assist us even though it wasn't. Their lack of enthusiasm can come off being nasty and I can see why other reviews had commented about the staff. The front desk and deli staff I felt were a little clueless but maybe it's because they weren't given proper training. The food at Pure Beach and Pure Ocean was great. We ate lunch every day at Pure Beach (calamari was awesome) and had dinner at Pure Ocean (loved the Mac & Cheese and Scallops). The one thing I did notice was that there isn't much for kids to do. There is a little kid pool but no kid centered activities. This wasn't a big deal for my husband or I as our two children were back at home with our parents however if/when we come back to Aruba this may play a role in our decision making as to whether or not we stay at Divi Phoenix. I feel that the Divi is for an older crowd. Maybe that's why everything shuts down at 11pm and why you need to get up at the butt crack of dawn to "reserve" your palapa for the day. If you are looking for a good nightlife this isn't the place to be. It's true about the palapa situation...you better be up early to throw a beach towel or beach bag on something to "claim" your spot for the day. Seems as though there isn't enough thatched umbrellas to go around for those staying at Divi Phoenix. My husband and I overall had a great time and would return to Divi Phoenix if it's just the two of us again.

Room Tip: Ask for ground level if you want quick and easy access to things.
2  Thank zimmvaca
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've been to Aruba dozens of times, and this was my first stay at the Phoenix. It was one of my best trips ever. Upon arrival, things went from good to great as soon as we checked in. They upgraded us to a one bedroom villa suite foe free. It was the nicest room I've ever had in Aruba. The room was large, clean, and had 2 full baths with Jacuzzi tubs. Our huge patio faced the beach. As with most resorts, you get the idiots that get up at sunrise to claim their spot on the beach, and then don't come back for 6 hours. Even so, we had no issues finding a good spot on the beach in the sun or shade each day. This is during February too. One of the busiest times of the year. The optional wifi also reaches the beach. There are also several pools, but we spent everyday on the beach. We did not eat at the hotel, so I have no comment on the restaurants. I did enjoy the good coffee at the coffee shop near the lobby. All in all, we had a great stay and will be returning again this summer.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were given a room in the old section upon checkin which was outdated and musty. We needed to switch rooms for other reasons and the staff was very accommodating. We were quickly switched to a room in the new towers. Wow....complete night and day difference. The rooms in the new towers are larger, modern and really nice. We had two, full baths and a washing machine. Great view of the pool and the beach too.
Beach is really nice but you have to get up early and claim lounge chairs/umbrella huts (even though your not supposed to "save" your spot but everyone does it anyway). This was annoying. I wish each room was assigned an umbrella hut so we didn't have to worry about getting a shaded spot on the beach.
Within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. Very friendly staff. We ate breakfast at Pure Ocean a few times. It was a little pricey but very good. We also ate lunch at Pure Beach a few times. Food was ok but nice atmosphere since it's right off the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for new towers. We had a great view from the 6th floor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!