“A Little Piece of Heaven”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
ontario canada
“A Little Piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

We just got back from Aruba,and not knowing what to expect we went with and open mind. We stayed at the Divi Phoenix Resort . we were not disappointed in the least. Yes it is geared to and older crowd but you can do so much off the resort that you don't care if the senors are there. We were there with friends that own time share in St.Martins,and we have been there about six times and we love it .so when they asked us to go to Aruba we said yes. It has the same flavor as St. Martins except that it is very dry and not lush off the resorts ,but you enjoy it for the water and the beaches (that are beautiful ) and the people that we met and the food that we ate were amazing. Our group went down for r&r and we got just that ,we did three events .One was a jeep tour on the other side of the island and we had fun ,our tour guide was cute and funny. Just a note if you have a bad back it is very rough and you will need sun screen .Two - we did a dinner and a show at the Westin that was a short walk from our resort and it was GREAT....... we had the best time ,it was a cuban dinner and a show . Three..... we did a shopping day ,and had a big pink bus that picked us up at the resort and we went shopping for the day.The cruise ships were in so we did not get as great of a deal on things but your on vac. so you enjoy. we did have some problems in town ,because of the govt.workers were on strike and the streets are not that wide it was chaos . but we made it through . i could go on forever but i'll just say that we had a great time the food and the people and the beaches were amazing and we will be going back.LAST NOTE ...........try the restaurants
on the island we ate at Sunset Bistro on our resort great food and service.Texas De Brazil's ...Great Le Fondue .....good food ,but long wait for it. ......JUST ENJOY THE ISLANDS BEAUTY AND LAID BACK ADITUDE

• Liked — The veiw from our room (we did and up grade)
  • Disliked — The pool was small and the construction that was being done .(work material in pool)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank Islandgirl033

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Finnish first
Clarenville, NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed with two friends at the Divi Phoenix this week and had a wonderful time. The staff are very, very friendly and the resort is quite relaxing and laid back. They are certainly focused on senior citizens however so if bingo, beachball pool volleyball and karioke are not your thing you might want to consider another property.

Our friends own at Divi Little Bay in Sint Maarten and swapped this week to come to Aruba. In any event the meals we had a the Sunset Bistro were supurb and I highly recommend eating under the stars for one meal. The crab cakes and curried chicken sandwich are awesome!

The beach is beautiful, it is easy to get palapas and beach chairs, the water is like a bathtub (some sharp rocks are in the water as you wade out so exercise caution or wear aqua shoes) and the resort furniture is like something out of a Tommy Bahama commercial.

We stayed in room 1306 and the view was sweeping and magnificent. Aruba is a beautiful, lively island with perfect temps year round. A cooling breeze constantly blows and the people here are friendly...it truly is one happy island!

• Liked — Sweeping views and a goregeous strip of beach
  • Disliked — Heavily orientated toward senior citizens and not real tolerant of younger travellers
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank elevation02
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

-We had a studio apartment in the highrise, gorgeous view and a decent room
-The construction didn't bother us at all
-We were probably the youngest couple there (most people were between 40-85, we are in our 20s)
-The Elevators broke numerous times and being on the 8th floor made walking the stairs difficult
-We did have some issues with the Hot/Cold water, we complained and they did attempt to fix it but never really did.
-The staff was great and very helpful, we asked for directions daily and we were never given a problem about asking to many questions
-The beach was great, the pool bar was great and if I was in the market to purchase a time share I would consider it

• Liked — quite beach
  • Disliked — the clock in the room was off by an hour
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank njcfm
Deltona, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

Grab some coffee, have a seat and read my trip report about our recent stay at the Divi Aruba Phoenix this past September 1 - 8, 2007. I say this because my reports have a tendency to be a little long winded. I do this because the information I received from the various B.B.'s prior to this trip proved to be VERY informative, especially the longer posts.

After waiting 17 years, my Wife Christine and I were FINALLY able to make the trip to Aruba by cashing in about 52,000 points we had saved up from our two timeshares in Florida we own through RCI. The points used, covered round-trip airfare and the 8 day stay at the "Phoenix". We only incurred a payment of $198.00 for exchange and taxes. We had awaken at 2am on Saturday morning (Sept. 1st) to be out the door at 3am for the 50 minute drive to Orlando airport. We arrived at the airport about 4am, more than enough time to successfully negotiate the security area. We were lucky enough to find an empty kiosk inside the airport and avoided the 30 minute wait to reach the American Airlines counter. We made it through the TSA security checkpoint in about 20 minutes (at that time of the morning, the Airport was a ghost town) and were at the gate waiting for boarding for our 1 hour flight to Miami on American Flight 1053 with time to spare. The flight pulled away from the gate at about 5:55am and we had wheels up at 6am. The flight was uneventful.

We arrived in Miami on-time at 7am to connect to our flight to Aruba (American flight 1047) scheduled at 10:25am. Because it was so early, many of the shops on the secure side of the TSA checkpoints were not opened. We decided that since we knew A.A. was not going to serve anything but beverages on the 10:25 flight, we would venture outside the security area to a Burger King for some quick breakfast. On our return, back through the TSA check-point, the X-Ray screener was unhappy with something he saw in the 1 carry-on bag we had. They took us to the side, used some type of swab machine, patted me down and opened my bag to inspect the contents. It seemed that what concerned them was a printer dock for my Wifes Koday digital camera that was wrapped in bubble wrap. After a 10 minute search of us, the TSA agent closed the bag and apologized to us . I thanked her for what she does and told her the minimal delay was of no inconvienence. I would rather they check bags they find questionable then to ignore the bags. We knew we had more than enough time to make our flight if delayed on re-check in after breakfast (we learned, more time than we thought).We wandered around the airport, keeping close to our gate for about 2 hours before heading to our gate at about 9:45am to wait for boarding. At around 10:10am, the woman at the counter made an announcement that the flight to Aruba was being delayed because the plane required neccessary "Routine, Scheduled maintainence"!! She told the passengers to return at 11am for an update. We were a little upset, but figured "Hey, were on vacation, a 45 minute delay is do-able"!! We walked over near gate 36 and went into the smoking room (we have a bad habit, I know) . We met a guy named Brad that was on our flight and passed the time talking to him. I also went to the Mojito Kiosk that was right outside the smoking room for an adult beverage. I know it was only 10:30am, but HEY, it was 5pm SOMEWHERE and like I said, we were on vacation!! At 11am, we made our way back to the gate and waited for an update of the flight. At 11:05am, the woman at the counter made an announcement that the "Scheduled Maintainence" was taking longer than expected and told us to return at 12pm for an update. OK, now this was NOT funny. Why American Airlines would have a plane assigned to a SCHEDULED flight that required "Routine Maintainance" was unacceptable !! By this point (remember we were up since 2am) we were becoming a little punchy and a bit grumpy!! A 2 hour delay for a reason as lame as "Scheduled Maintainance" was poor at best. They should have had another plane to take us to our destination and did the "Scheduled Maintainance" to the plane assigned on THEIR TIME, NOT MINE!! American Airlines, after complaining to them, "Awarded" 2000 Advantage miles each to mine and my Wifes Advantage cards. BIG WHOOP!!!! We finally began boarding the plane at 11:55am and had wheels-up at about 12:25pm. 2 hours late from our schedule. THEN, they had the audacity to charge $3.00 for a cookie....$3.00!!! They gave NOTHING free for the 2 hour delay to us for something they should have done on their time, not the customers!! We FINALLY arrived in Aruba at around 3pm.

By the time we cleared customs and got a cab, we made it to the Divi Aruba Phoenix at about 4:10pm. At this point, it has been a 14 hour day for us! When we checked in, we were told our room was not ready. At his point, we didn't care and figured we would go to the Sunset Beach Bistro (on the resort property) for a bite because we were pretty hungry (hey, a $3.00 cookie doesn't last long). We entered the Bistro and were told they were closed until 6pm. GREAT!!! We then went to the French Market (next to the Bistro), remembering that they have sandwiches there from posts I had read before the trip. We met Aurita and she explained she was about to close and the kitchen was closed until 5pm. I explained to her our day and how hungry we were and she locked the door and had the kitchen make us a couple of B.L.T.'s . Aurita (Mi Dushi) became our very good friend for the remainder of our stay.

Our room was finally ready at about 4:35pm and were escorted to our room by Mr. Jones. When we got to the room (Rm. 601) we noticed we had a great view of the construction to the 3 new buildings that Divi was putting up. We also noticed that this room had a "RE-DONE" bathroom. Not so much!!! The caulking job on the tub was done VERY sloppy and everytime you closed the balcony door, the front of the tub fell off!! I went on to check the room amenities check-list and found there were 12 items missing from the room. I have learned in the past to review this list because if there is anything missing from the room, the resort WILL try to charge you for the items missing. I brought the list to the front desk so they knew not to hold us accountable. We had dinner on the beach at the Bistro that night and it was very, VERY nice!! I reccomend this to anyone going to Aruba. You don't have to be a guest at the Phoenix to go to the Bistro and they have a $30pp "Soup To Nuts" dinner plan. On Sunday morning, I woke up to hurricane Felix bands blowing onshore. The winds didn't affect me at all on the balcony. What DID affect me was discovering that the sliding door on the balcony had no handle!! I later found that NONE of the rooms had handles on the balcony doors. And these doors are VERY heavy to push open. I had to leave the door ajar a bit when on the balcony to get back in to the room. The problem with this is the door has a gizmo on the inside that turns the A.C. off if the door isn't completely closed!! what a predicament. On Monday morning, at about 6:30 am, while sitting on the balcony drinking my 1st cup of coffee and watching the sunrise, the workers showed up and the banging, sawing and yelling began. We went to the front desk and requested another room then headed to breakfast at the Bistro. We then went food shopping to hop ling's (or something like that) and found the prices to be reasonable and they put both Florin AND U.S. dollar amounts on most of the items. If you buy produce though, you must have it weighed in the produce section. The registers don't have scales. The supermarket even called a cab for us to return to the Phoenix. Upon returning to the Phoenix, we were told that a room (room 1006) to be moved to was ready for us. At about 1pm, they moved us to the new room which was on the other side of the tower overlooking the beach and the Bistro. In this room, we discovered that the wall in the bathroom (it was an older bathroom) between the door and the bath was soaked and damaged. We called maintainance and they came up and discovered it was due to the A.C. unit in the ceiling on the other side of the wall leaking condensation down the wall. We also found that the retractable line in the tub that is designed to be used as a type of clothes line was missing the rope. We like to use this for our wet towels after the beach. They fixed this as well. We then ventured to the resorts beach and had to wait for 2 elevators because the construction people redoing the bathrooms were monopolizing them. We finally made it to the beach to endure the sounds of the new building construction AND the reconstruction to the ceilings on the balconies in the tower. So much for the sweet sounds of the Ocean!!! Why Divi Resorts would schedule upgrading of the bathrooms AND redoing the balcony ceilings at the same time is a mystery to me. Bad planning.

I know this report sounds like nothing but complaints, but information is knowledge. When I work hard all year and look foward to my vacation, I would like it to be as perfect as possible. Aruba is in no means an inexpensive vacation. It is however an island I will return to. The people ARE so nice and the island IS very beautiful. If you are staying in the Hi-Rise resort area, visit the "Strip" which is up by Tony Roma's and the Sunset Beach Bistro on the Phoenix property. The staff at the Bistro, Luella, Tony, Frankie, George, Stanley and Marcos will take good care of you. And while your there, make sure to say hello to Aurita in the French Market for me. Also, do the "Jolly Pirate" snorkel tour which leaves from Moomba beach. It was a BLAST!!

Some food for thought.......

Cabs in Aruba can get pricey, Try the busses. If you rent a car, gas is (was) $4.65 per gallon USD. If you smoke, get your tobacco at the duty-free shop in the airport because they are $5.00 USD per pack on the island. If you are on a budget, shop for food for the week as going out (unless you staying at an All-Inclusive) will drain you pocket book.

Even though this report sounds negative of our trip, it was mostly negative of the Divi Aruba Phoenix. The resort was BORING (unless you like BINGO) but the staff (Except for the bartender "Sandra") became some very good friends we plan on staying in touch with. All in All, Aruba IS "One Happy Island"!!

• Liked — All rooms had views of the Ocean
  • Disliked — Too much multi-construction going on at one time.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
17 Thank TimDeltona_FL_
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

My Husband and I went there for our honeymoon; we stayed in the timeshare tower. The room was alright we had a stove, microwave, and fridge. We did not rent a car, and if I could do it again I would rent a car.
Our pool was about 3 1/2 deep, which sucked! We went on the beach right off the hotel and even the beach was very shallow, you had to really go out far to get the water to come up to you stomach and if you did you would be stepping on all the sea grass.
The food was awful, and way over priced. The one good thing about the restaurant was that you could sit on the beach at night and eat while watching the sunset.
My husband and I wind up walking down about two minutes to go to the beach and the pool at the Westin, which was much nicer.
My one big problem with the overall Island is that a lot of places were all closed on Sundays, and during the week they all closed by 7 including the pools.
In conclusions, this was not the best hotel to stay at for a honeymoon, if you like shallow water and playing lots of games like bingo, and ping pong this would be a place for you.

• Liked — hotel was right off the beach
  • Disliked — The pool and beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Angeluv1109
Naugatuck, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2006

It is paradise! I would be an ingrate to complain about anything after having such a wonderful vacation in Aruba!

Construction from the addition was almost non-existent and did not bother us at all. The are moving slowly, still breaking the ground up and have a long way to go.

Rent a car and explore the Island - lots to see and do. Also take a stroll up the Broadwalk along the beach.

We prefer to stay in the villas around the pool and pool bar. Excellent staff. Spectacular sunsets can be watched from the balcony, beach or hammock.

You are steps away from the beach. More than enough huts to go around. Ocean water felt like a warm bath - Aaahhhh...

• Liked — The villa locations are close to everything.
  • Disliked — The pool bar opened too late and closed to early in the day. Come on - we're on vacation!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Go on a few tours and rent a car and expore