“A little room for improvement”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
new york city
“A little room for improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

On the whole pretty good, a couple of incidents like the air conditioning breaking and fridge that didn't work but both were fixed quickly. Location couldn't be better. Most rooms seem to have a so so view of the ocean but only a few look directly out on to it. Staff were a little luke-warm, not super friendly but helpful enough.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — staff, ocean view could've been better (balcony was on a weird angle)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blazesboylan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

My husband and I purchased a timeshare unit last summer while in Aruba. We've been to Aruba numerous times, and have traveled throghout the Carribean and absolutely LOVE this island. We were able to take another couple with us as we had a 2 bedroom villa. What a great view!! There are some renovations going on at the property right now, but nothing that can't be dealt with. The resort is very pro-active in letting guests know where work is being done. . . as a timeshare owner, I can appreciate the upkeep and mainetnance that has to be done, so that resorts can stay "current" and new. I chuckle at the guests who compain that work is being done, yet, are the same people who complain when things are beginning to look outdated, are in need of repairs, etc... .
This is a great place to vacation - whether you are young, old, have kids or not. . . the staff are more than willing to help. Anytime I called for a request to the concierge, a follow up call was made to my room to make sure I got the towels or whatever it was we needed. A+ on customer service!
Another thing I learned on this trip is just how easy and effecient their health-care system is on this island. My friend started the trip with a bit of a cold, and realized it would soon turn bad if she didn't get some antibiotics. Because we had checked in on a weekend, the "on call doctor" for the resort, we were told, wouldn't be avliable until Monday morning. So the two of us took a taxi to the hospital - and in less than 2 hours (this was at 9pm, on a weekend, with a waitingroom filled with people), she was seen, given a prescription, took the taxi to the pharmacy in town, and back to the resort - and her bill - less than $150 for the visit and prescription. . . .that wasn't using any of her insurance cards either. That just gave Aruba another positive mark in my book.
When staying in a villa like at this resort with the kitchen, take advantage of the nearby (by taxi) Ling & Sons grocery store and prepare some very nice dinners in. We found a wonderful, fresh grouper which was marinaded, which we went back and bought more of and had that two nights during our stay. We used the properties gas grills most nights for dinner, and often for burgers/hotdogs for lunch. We ate out several times too, and there are wonderful places all over the island to eat, but eating in certainly cuts down on your vacation expenses - or you can budget for other fun spending such as the jewlers in downtown. My favorite place to go for jewlery shopping is right across the road from Iguana Joes at "Diamante's" - ask to speak with Juggie or Archie - they are wonderful and I shop from them each year - and they also stand behind their work. The prices cannot be beat compared to US and other places. So if you are looking for jewlery, that is the place to go!
For those of you who enjoy diving, I highly recommend the private diving through Roberto's (found by Moomba's off from the Surf Club property on the beach). . . we did a discover scuba dive last year with Ron, and was a private dive - 3 of us in our party - that was it - no other divers other than the instructor - much better than the larger outfitters who often have a lot of people at various ability levels. We loved diving so much, we did part of our certification here locaclly this summer, and finished up our open water dives with Ron last week in Aruba. We highly recommend Ron and the other guys who operate the private diving - you can check out their rates by googling private diving in Aruba. . . not much more than the others when you consider the alternatives.
The Marriott is just an awesome resort, with great views, terrific location - can't say anything bad about it!

• Liked — The resort property is large enough, that you don't feel overcrowded - on the beach or at the pools.
  • Disliked — Fresh towels are only brought once/week unless requested.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank WinchesterVirginia
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

We rented a one bedroom oceanfront villa from Golden Timeshares and it was beautiful. Included full kitchen and a jacuzzi tub. Beautiful balcony (double in size) that almost looked at the beach (higher floors have better views; we were on the third so we saw some ocean, some pool, some palm trees). Loved Simply Fish restaurant --put feet in sand and watch ocean while you eat great food at the Marriot Stellaris. Oceanclub is a nice relaxing place and we never bothered to reserve chairs...plenty were available. Next door, the SurfClub looked hectic with tons of people. Stellaris looked nice, also, since there is no hotel on it's other side and lots of beach. Arashi Beach (take bus for $1.30 one way) is gorgeous with nice snorkling --large sandy beach with lots of shallow water. Lighthouse restaurant El Faro --not great food but great views. Liked Radisson bar and Hyatt bar area. Also Ruinas Del Mar at Hyatt is beautiful to eat at (we just went for dessert). Ruth Chris at Stellaris is fabulous and has the best mojitos in the world, I think. Went on ABC Tour and yes, it is very bumpy. I'd elect a half day tour next time as it gets long and hot. I advise to skip ordering Ling and Sons food delivery and go there in person. Delivery was $15 and late and lettuce was really old plus they woke me at 8 a.m. to verify my credit card-yikes. Giannis is a fabulous Italian restaurant across from Radisson. Avoid the Italian restaurant in town overlooking marina across from Renaissance. Worse Osso bucco can probably not be found, Renaissance Hotel actually had a nice bar area and a decent steak sandwich. If you are saving money, take the bus around. It is nice and clean and cheap. Also, last time I rented a timeshare at Aruba Beach Club which is a total bargain. Nice to be at the Marriot though because you are on a strip of hotels and there is a lot of things to do at night whereas the lowrise area is very quiet (plus there is the beach is also quiet and uncrowded). Also in the highrise area are many restaurants and a movie theatre within walking distance. Aruba is a great beach location because it's safe, clean, you can drink the water, and the watersports are inexpensive. We paid $35 to go on a snorkling trip with Roberto's (outside on sand near Holiday Inn). Two snorkling stops, unlimited drinks, and a sandwich. Where do you beat that? Paid $20 to go tubing (that's a crazy sport). Book ABC on line and save money. Been to DePalm Island so we skipped that this time (it's nice but can be crowded). I love Aruba!!!

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ChicagoCharles
new york, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

We are in our early 30s with 3.5 year old twin girls. The resort is safe and clean. There is a kiddie pool with beach chairs nearby. Parents can lounge with the kids in view. The beach is amazing. The sand realy is powder white/beige. We were able to go to the Surf Club freely and play in the lazy river called the Gulfstream without restriction. We did not have any issues getting a palpapas the same day. We had fun at the outdoor restaurant Moomba next door. There is a lively crowd in the evening.

Outside of the resort, we visited Downtown Aruba, which was cute. There are some designer stores on Main Street. We enjoyed the California lighthouse, broken Natural bridge, St. Anne's Catholic Church ( nice service), Ostrich farm and Butterfly farm. We did not visit the natural pool. We rented a car and drove to each destination. Each drive is no longer than 15 minutes from resort. The island is small. I would not recommend paying for a tour bus. The offroad tour buses do not allow kids less than 5 years old. We did one event daily to keep the kids interested.

We walked to the Marriot Stellaris Casino which is nice. We could not go into the Casino with kids. Kids night out is for kids 5 yo and older. There is $25 fee for each 4 hour session. It includes food and activities. There were lots of kids at the resort.

All in all, Aruba is low key, small island and a great place to relax and enjoy the beach. We had friends who stayed at Tamarijin, it was great for their kids. Pool was small. Food was mediocre and repetitive. Rooms are on the beach. We preferred the Marriot Ocean Club.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank coolmd2
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

This was an enjoyable stay. My husband and I stayed in the ocean club time share his parents gave us. It was a nice hotel, however, some of the staff is not very friendly. Front desk and concierge are great. Food and alchohol staff, not friendly and slow! Food is very expensive. $30 for two cheesburgers at the resort! Food overall anywhere on the island very overpriced and not very good. We at at madame janets, this was probably the only restaurant that was decent. Other than this, terrible food.
The island is beautiful, not a whole lot to do however. The road to conchi was fun, it leads to the natural pool. If you like off roading, definately do this. Very ruff and bumby however. As far as the type of people there, many families and people getting engaged. Not alot of honeymooners, alot of older people 55+ there on vacay and anniversaries. Alot of small kids and people from all over the world! If you want to go on you honeymoon, I wouldnt suggest here, i would say Maui, Hawaii is much better!
Aruba is almost just as expensive, not as nice though.

• Liked — convienience to ocean
  • Disliked — last resort on island, waitresses at marriott super slow and forgetfull
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HBCDelaware
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

We went to Aruba for the first time May 31-June 7th, we exchanged our timeshare through Interval International. it was 5 of us in the party ( 6 yo daughter/husband/ parent in law). I have to say that I am very thankful to all of you who write reviews on this great travel site; one reason for requesting Aruba for exchange, are the reviews that I read on this site.
We arrived at the hotel at 3:30 on Sat May 31, our one bedroom was ready. It was on second floor with view of the pool and partial view of the ocean. Initially I was dissapointed with second floor, but then I liked it beacuse we had quick access to the beacjh through the outside stairs. The unit is equipped by Marriott timeshare standard: as many wrote in their reviews, the one bedroom has a full kitchen with stove/oven/microwave/utencils,/ plates /bowls. The living room has a queen pull-out sofa/ the bedroom has a king sized bed, it has a nice terrace. We own a Marriott times share in Orlando, and the unit there is slightly bigger, but I'm sure land is more expensive in Aruba.
We had a great week at the Ocean Club, the beach was great, the water was warm and clean, it was not crowded at all, we had no problem getting a palapa at the beach, in fact we were assigned the same one for the whole week.
The pool is nice, with swim up bar, it was never too crowded ( I guess that we were lucky, not having the resort filled to capacity).
There is a minimarket inside the hotel where you can find bread/milk /snacks and more, in fact there are several stores, jewelry, souvenir and makeup stores.
I cannot comment on the restaurants in the resort since I did not go to them; we ate lunch at the beach restaurant, chicken fingers /wraps for reasonable price, and they were very good.
I read many reviews before we went there, and walking on the beach in front of the resorts I could see why the reviewers complain about how crowded the Surf Club is.
The Ocean Club is 6 stories high, compared with the Surf Club which is 12 or 14 stories high. They look odd next to each other, in fact the Surf club is too big, the height and the size of it takes away the tropical feel.
We attended a timeshare presentation at the Surf Club ( this is the one that is not completely sold), we figured it does not hurt to get some Marriott points and at the same time we were looking into buying a timeshare. We actually bought a 2 Br unit /resale at the Ocean Club and we are looking forward to go back soon.
we rented a car from Optima car rental/ ( which will become Payless car rental) as they told us, and we had the freedom to explore the island.
We went to Paseo Herencia the outdoor mall across the street from the Hyatt/ nice place to stroll/eat and see the musical fountain show in the evening, we went to Madame Jeanette, great food and atmosphere, we met many people in the resort most of them timeshare owners, like them we fell in love with the island and look forward to go back.

• Liked — beach/
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank mv68
gadawgs907
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

After reading some of the reviews for this resort, I felt that I should write my own. I have been going to Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club since it first opened and LOVE IT! The very first time we went they had just built the resort, and my family and I decided to buy a 2bedroom/2bath villa, and we have been going back ever since!
The beach, the activities, the pool, the rooms, the restaurant's, the shops, everything is perfect! They have a great beach, just make sure you reserve a palapa early in the morning at the front desk (We like to reserve ours by the Vela Windsurfing Area because its quiet and it has a great view). Now there are 3 different pools within the resort, one at the Hotel, one at the Ocean Club, and one at the Surf Club. My kids love the benefit (pool hopping) all day because each one is very different. Although on some of the reviews they say you cannot go from pool to pool, we have learned that as long as you do not carry a towel from your place to the other pool's you should be fine. We usually leave our towels at our palapa anyways and jump in the pool before the security guards see if we have armbands. Sure we feel a little guilty for this but hey, you pay for the whole resort you might as well enjoy all of it! Also the windsurfing in Aruba is amazing. That was the main reason we came to Aruba our first time and we love Vela Windsurf right next door! My kids and wife started windsurfing when we came back the second time, and they all have gotten pretty good at it. My oldest son is learning how to kite surf which is a new experience for all of us to watch. The rooms are always nice to and they always update them each time we go. If you can try to request an ocean front room, they are bigger and have a huge balcony! After you stay in one of these you will never want to leave!
Also, the restaurant's around town are great! Sure the one's by the hotel's are going to be overpriced and crowded, but if you drive or take a cab into Oranjestad, you will find some of the best local restaurant's in the world, and for a very cheap price! The restaurants and market's at the resort are very expensive, but you are going to find that at all resorts! We go to Ling & Sons for groceries, it is just like a regular Kroger or Publix back in the States and has a great selection of food. Behind the Holiday Inn, The Hyatt, and the Grand Occidental, their is a street of restaurants that are also very good. Usually we will go to Tango which has great food and also live shows, right next to that is a great little pizza kitchen that is sit down and very relaxed, and then once every trip to Aruba we will go to Texas de Brazil which is an all you can eat steak house. It might sound a little disgusting but it is really an upscale and expensive steak house with a fixed price. These 3 restaurants are all great and their are many more right next to them that we love to go to and are just a short walk from the hotel(we usually walk on the beach to get to them, then cut through the hotels).
The Ocean Club is my favorite resort in Aruba. We have tried a few other places that I will tell you about. We stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights and enjoyed it but just not worth it. The rooms were tiny and you could get a 2bed/2bath ocean front at the Marriott for about the same price as as small king room at the Hyatt(and that does not have a kitchen or anything)! We also stayed in Aruba for 2 weeks one time, the first week at the Ocean Club, and the second at the Surf Club because Marriott gave us a free week. We had a 3bed/3bath which was very nice but was not ocean front. It was a little bit nicer then the Ocean Club because of course it was newer but it was a huge building and very overcrowded. Each time we wanted to go somewhere we had to wait forever to get an elevator, whenever we walked in the main lobby we felt like we were at some huge resort in Florida. It just was not as quite as the Ocean Club and we did not enjoy it as much.

Sure, Aruba does have some flaws but every place will. You just have to learn how to get around these obstacles and deal with them. The Aruba Ocean Club in my opinion is one of the best resorts in Aruba and we will always love coming back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family