“Where some improvements should be considered”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Ocean Club has by far the highest density of beach sports concessions anywhere on Palm Beach ... taking away beachfront seating and degrading the seating behind these spots. Of course there are none of these concessions in front of the Ritz, very few in front of the Marriott Hotel or the Hyatt. Less in front of the Holiday Inn! Why? The Ocean Club is in the bottom of the ranking on this issue.
The mattresses are showing their age ... getting broken down. The sheets are fitted too small for the mattress. Always one corner comes loose and then the whole sheet moves around.
The absolute minimum is provided in dishes and silverware (5 settings in a one bedroom plus sofa bed). It is easy to find yourself running the dishwasher more than once a day. A waste of energy, water and time.

1  Thank IAMGSAN
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club. Our team appreciates your feedback on areas for improvement at the resort and will share your thoughts with the appropriate departments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We exchanged our Marriott Grand Chateau-LV unit for Marriott Ocean Club thru Interval International. We have a one bedroom overlooking the Surf Club side with a partial ocean view. The unit was the standard one bedroom Marriott unit with a balcony. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Timeshare owners get one day of complimentary housekeeping but have the option to purchase additional cleaning days @ $15 per day. We opted out of any additional days but the one housekeeping visit was four days into our stay; two days before check-out.

Location is great; within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The beach is beautiful. As guests of the Ocean Club, we could not use the lazy river and serenity pool at the Surf Club, nor could the Surf Club guest use the palapas on the Ocean Club side. Palapas have to be reserved on a daily basis. There are some free ones available (furthest away from the beach and goes quickly). Closer to the beach will cost $15 a day and can be reserved for up to 3 days at a time. If you don’t want to get up early to reserve a palapa, there’s umbrella rentals from a place on the beach for $30 a day and they will set-up it up any place you want.

Wi-Fi is the room works great but not so much when on the hotel grounds. Tours can be booked at the tour desk in the lobby. Food & drinks are expensive - breakfast will run you $25 pp at the hotel's restaurant. Overall it was a good stay. I think service could be improved but I would recommend the Ocean Club just don't expect great service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club. While we are happy to hear your family enjoyed their overall vacation, we apologize for not exceeding your expectations when it came to service. Your feedback is important to us and will be shared with the appropriate areas for review. Thank you again for visiting and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We thankfully are not owners at this resort but traded for it through Interval. The first thing that we noticed when we arrived at our villa was the terribly stained carpet in the bedroom. We were exhausted from hours of travel so immediately upon unpacking I headed to the shower to find that the bath towels were dingy gray in color. I used two because they were not very thick so while my husband showered I called down for more towels. My husband took his slow shower but I was still
Holding the phone waiting for someone to answer. Finally someone did answer and told me there was a charge for additional charges because we had traded,we were considered owners and owners were charged for extra towels. When we went to bed we discovered that the sheet under the comforter did not extend the full width of the bed. Again a very long wait until someone picked up. I was connected to housekeeping where I was told that all of the sheets were the same size. We spent our week with crummy towels and sleeping in the center of the bed because the sheet did not fit. It did not stop there because when I went to use the bathroom by the pool there was no toilet paper. Something that could happen you may be thinking but it happened several times during our stay. Every time we tried to call for a service, especially to get a concierge to make reservations the wait was forever. This was certainly not the type of service that I expected from a resort with the Marriott name on it.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ann G
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had a one room unit with an ocean-view that was a gift as the weather was perfect and thus, the view all day long. Wasn't very crowded this week so we had easy pool or beach access and easy to walk into any Marriott restaurant or local restaurant with a reservation. The Concierge staff to be commended to working so efficiently with so many folks booking activities or dinner reservations. We went enjoyed the de Palm four hour sailing/snorkeling tour and the Atlantis Submarine. Rented a car from Hertz at the hotel and toured the island on our own one day which was fun as following the maps is an adventure.

Resort staff friendly and helpful … food prices on the island are high … all imported so one must pay. Wish there was Marriott entertainment at night …. we stayed away from the casino after 3 nights of contributing to their December revenue. Enjoyed ourselves overall.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marcia J
Reviewed December 12, 2013

First let me thank some trip advisor members who were so so helpful in making our plans for our 5h trip to Auraba and our first time in a Time Share there, Marriott Ocean Club, Ronay55, DaveS45 and of course the always super knowleadgeable Aruba Amy! All the info I received was as usual so so helpful!

There were three of us this trip myself, hubby and best friend. Ages late 40's early 60's.

Flew out of Rochester NY via Newark and since this trip was planned a year in advance, were able to go business class (at least from Newark to Aruba which is of course almost 5 hrs) which was very nice. We flew on a tuesday to a tuesday and our flight was full of “regulars”.

We had booked a 2 bedroom Villa and when we checked in I was not thrilled with the view, complete lack of view-this 2 bedrm was right off the lobby around one corner and faced the surf club side as the only view. I reminded myself Owners get first dibs on views. Was thinking of complaining to Travel Agent and even asked front desk if we could move, nope they were almost at capacity. BUT, as the next day came and went, I began to love this location! No much walking to anything, no elevator, and most importantly, the quietest location ever! Now I am a happy camper! Glad I did not open my big mouth to complain without checking things out! We think the goal in Aruba should be no complaining !

When we filled out the Customs Form on the plane and they asked the reason for visit, and you know they offer several choices to choose, we all marked sun and sand as that was the reason for this trip. We had all been here before and were going to do our best to load up on enough sunshine to carry us through a brutal winter in the northeast. I would say we succeeded! Our goals were to be on the beach, have some great meals and gamble some.

The first day we arrived at the hotel right around 4 and checked in, put on sandals and shorts and out the door to get a cab to Super Foods. Loaded up on beer, wine and groceries for the week. (thanks everyone for this great advice) As I had been told the Ocean Club really does provide just about everything you would prossible need in the kitchen for the week, we only ate breakfast in the room and then happy hour before dinner. It was so relaxing not to rush around to get ready to dash off to different venues to eat each and every meal. Lunches for the most part were Waves at the Marriott Stellaris or Pavillion at Ocean Club which is Champs moved outside-Yep Champs closed for renovations the day we got there, I believe they are scheduled to reopen the 22nd as well as a re-worked Pavillion now to be called Sands.

The next morning we got up and rented huts for the rest of the stay, again I cannot recommend this enough, there were very few free huts to be had and they went fast, not to have to get up early to secure a shady place (which we so so needed each and every day) is priceless in my opinion. I also stoppped by the concerige to make all our dinner reservations, and I did get all except, Simply Fish, which was disappointing as it is a fav, it was booked solid the entire time we were there.

Ritz Calton: Before I forget have to report on the Ritz. Oh boy. Huge. But no one and I mean no one around. I think they have not officially opened? As some have said, there are not huts but canvas umbrellas in the sand.Each and everytime we walked or looked down there was nobody on the beach! After Dinner one night went to check it out as well as Casino. Casino was in my humble opinion really sad, very small, nothing I recognized in slots, I did not spend a dime there. It is beautiful for sure, but just me again, I did not think it was beyond other really nice hotels in Aruba. I did not of course see any rooms. So we went to the bar for a glass of wine. They had to have 10 bartenders and all very nice and eager. We look at the menu and were somewhat shocked to see a marginal chardonnay by the glass, $18.00! Yikes, we are not cheapies I do not think, but good golly, it was time for a balashi which was enjoyed by all. I do think I read somewhere grand opening March but that does not sound right?? Oh and I heard some “regulars” on the beach talking that the ladies had planned to check out the Spa at the Ritz and were so disappointed when they were told it was really not fully opened and only offered message.

Ok on to the meals: Madame Janet. This is a regular stop for us. Not sure in future. Beautiful as always, service a tad slow. Two ordered the Grouper (which was to be a theme that week) and I ordered almond crusted shrimp. They raved about the Grouper, I thought the shrimp was in a word awful but blamed myself for ordering. I love shrimp, but this not only had no taste but was just so covered in the almond batter or whatever it was, there was a curry like dipping sauce that was good. So it was just not an outstanding meal-but then again, it could be me!

In no particular order: Pelican Nest for Dinner and Lunch -it is beyond us why this does not get better reviews-we have never had a bad meal and the views cannot be beat especially at sunset! Again the Grouper and Conch Fitters awesome.

Hadicari: know I am spelling wrong, but nice for lunch lots of good cold Balashi Chill.

Fishes and More: Never went before but loved it, so so simple and so so reasonable. Early bird special til 6:30 is well worth a trip just for that! Our cab driver was not sure where it was, it is across from Occidental. More Grouper and I had chicken. Actually this was a highlight with our group!

Gasparito: Long time since I have been here-very mellow, very hands on by owner-they limit to 20 every evening -the son is the chef and the dad I think just enjoys the interaction with the customers! Unique and different, good food and excellent service! They too are remodeling so not as much art work to look at as in the past.

Cilo City Lounge-we love this location at the Marina across from Rennaisance, food is nothing really special I guess, but always good, reasonable and servive very good. Great location for people watching and those beautiful Yachts!!

Ruth Chris: What can I say, it is always the same-an outstanding steak, simple sides attentive service-this place was packed on the Monday night we were there!!

Shopping was a blast as always! We went Downtown for this and as usual found a ton of treasures! I did see the new Mall Palm Beach but in reading the stores found nothing there I was interested in. Shops at the Ocean Club are great as well as Stellaris, Surf Club only has one main Sundry/Souvenir type shop. Holiday Inn has a nice collection of shops-boy is there a lot of construction going on there!

Airport/Airplane travels: Finally the day comes to say goodbye! Oh what a long day what with flying into Newark in the midst of yet another winter storm so early in the year, of course if you travel in Dec and the upcoming months you have to take your chances. So here I have to turn myself in for the blunder of all times! We decided to take a cab to the airport with the late checkout we got we had to be out of there at 11Am. Ok lets go and then we will have a long nice lunch as boarding is at 3:30. Off we go, we get there, UNITED DESK DOES NOT OPEN UNTIL 3 HRS BEFORE FLT LEAVES! I totally forgot, but we went to lunch at a nice restaurant right there called 4 bis something and that was just fine! Still makes for a longer day -I deleted a “rant” about the passenger in front of me on the Newark to Roch leg-unbelievable -no upright seat or seat belt the entire trip! I thought I had seen it all, nope!

Odds and Ends:as I watch the snow fly: We booked this trip thru Liberty Travel and expected a mid week tidy up nothing else. We had daily maid service which was an unexpected bonus. The room was a tad dated but clean and neat so really what more did we need. As always takes me a day or two to adapt to Aruba time, ha! Staff very helpful and always cheerful, cab drivers great as well.
Brought my Wegmans Bags for the groceries and wine/beer to carry back to Hotel via cab which makes it so so easy, but of course left them in Hotel room in my excitement to get to the Wine store, but all was ok as the Super Foods sells a Huge recycle bag(s) that worked perfect. Since I had not been in this store before ( I think new in last two years) it was great to see Aruban Prices as well as US $. Much easier than trying to convert in my head.

Marriott Stellaris Lobby bar: Just the best and the entertainment everynight was great!! There is a woman bartender there, forget her name who is just the most outgoing lovely lady, we asked abut Tony who was the singer there for years-he had the small “sound sytem” but could play and sing anything, standing room only on the nights he was there, he had she said heart attack! He looked so young to me and that if we wanted him back we should write the Marriott. But since we ended up there most nights saw many other entertainers and always great!! By the way, many order Sushi from Ketsu right across the lobby floor and it looked so yummy!

Surf Club is huge, definetely for kids and family more so than Ocean Club. And no you cannot use the pools there nor the lazy river, however you can use the Marriott Stellaris main pool-but not the new adult pool.

Wristband key/cards: Here is where I probably really show my age but Ocean Club has these RFID Rubber wrist bands you can purchase for $5 they code your room key into them so you put on and can swin and shower and do whatever and still you just walk up to door hold it up and behold it opens! No more remembering to take key in beach bag to beach! Just marvy in my opinion. (Ofcourse they knew every move I made, ha!)

Gambling: Mainly the Marriott Stellaris, but also like the Crystal Casino Downtown. Also went to Hyatt Casino but again kept coming back to Stellaris, it is always hopping!

My biggest tip, I guess: Since it takes us almost all day to get to Aruba we consider this a travel day and use up every hour tof that day to accomplish all our “chores” so that the following 6 days are pure bliss with the single biggest decision to be made is shade or sun, ocean or pool, balashi bucket or frozen drinks! So getting everything accomplished on the front end makes life easier for us-however if you are more the spur of the moment then this is not the plan for you, I will say when we traveled this year, and I thought we were “early” dinner reservations were at a premium towards the end of our visit.

If you have any questions, happy to respond!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank nortonUpstateNY
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We spent a week here in a 2 Bedroom unit.
First the pros: The kids liked the pool and the beach/ocean was lovely. The staff was friendly although not in any particular hurry to be helpful much of the time. The place was much less crowded than the Surf club next door.
Now the cons: No housekeeping to speak of, no laundry in the units, lots of inconvenient construction (while we were there, the poolside restaurant and casual restaurant were both closed for construction and they painted the hall outside our room which smelled for days).
No access to the Ocean club next door with their lazy river, water slide, etc.
Everything was wildly overpriced and the food and drinks were average at best.

Finally a word about Aruba in general. The weather is perfect. However, beyond beach and pool there is nothing to see or do. So enjoy the sun, but don't expect natural beauty or cultural sights.

And at the Marriott, enjoy the basics but don't expect luxury.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor and on the shady side unless you want the sun beating in your room all day.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Manager at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for providing us your feedback. It’s disappointing to hear we were unable to exceed your expectations on your recent vacation. While housekeeping services are not performed daily, they are available to our guests upon request. We hope you will give us another opportunity to truly exceed your expectations.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My family stayed @ Marriott Ocean Club for (6) days over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We truly enjoyed the resort; I booked the reservation thru Marriott directly so we are not owners nor did we purchase a week from other owners. I'm going to give the pros and cons (many more pros). We stayed in a (2) bedroom ocean front condo during our stay. We had (5) people in our group (Mom, Dad, Grandparent and 8/9 girls).

We now have stayed at all (3) Marriott properties in Aruba and have reviewed all of them via TA.

Pros:

-Condo was great; the 2 bedroom was plenty of space for 5-6 people (2 bathrooms was very nice). The unit had newer appliances and looked to have been updated within the past 12-18 months. Since we had oceanfront our balcony was huge, was like having 300 extra sq feet and the view was great. The unit also had plenty of household items to make it feel like home (flatware, silverware and cookware).

- Pool/Beach were great. The palapa's on the beach could be utilized first come or you could rent one for up to 3 days during your stayed stay. The pool had plenty of chairs and umbrellas; we generally didn't get out until 830-930 each morning to put pool towels down and never had an issue getting a setup in a good location. Another great thing is you can utilize Marriott Hotel facilities (exception is adults only pool).

- The Staff was extremely helpful during our visit. They always made you feel welcome. We have a daughter with special needs and rented a SN beach stroller (Adapted Happy Wheels) and this is where the staff went above and beyond. Ernie & MaryAnn in the security department were exceptional in assisting my wife with storing the stroller; made our trip easier which can a blessing in our situation.

-Housekeeping Staff was also great; if you rent thru Marriott you get daily housekeeping which is great during vacation. Also the facility does provide washer/dryer units at no charge on each floor but are not in the units; we never had to wait to use them.

Cons:

-The 2 bedroom units are advertised for up to 8 people,you could do it but it will be tight. If you're going to spend any extended time in the unit (which hopefully you won't have to) could get crowded.

- As mentioned above washer and dryers are on each hall and not in units and could be a con for some people.

- If you are a family looking for a full service kids club and lots of activities all day, you won't find it here; however, you can utilize kids club facilities at surf club next door. Only negative is you might have hard time explaining to your little ones why they can't utilize lazy river and pools when you go next door (Ocean Club and Surf Club do not allow guests to utilize both pool facilities).

- Poolside Restaurant construction; was a somewhat of inconvenience but will be completed by 3rd week of December, so wouldn't be a regular issue. In our case may have been a blessing because it cut down on potential afternoon bar bills.

All in all we loved our stay at the Ocean Club, it's was great for us. My girls loved the pool (in fact one of the girls commented she liked pool better @ OC versus SC). The staff and facility were great. Staff said they were @ 90% occupancy and there were times it felt like it was more like 50% occupancy. We met lots of guests that were on their 10 year plus regular vacation to Aruba and OC and everyone was very friendly to us.

We will will try and return in 2014 if possible for another family vacation.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms (1 bedroom) have larger balconies
1  Thank elon94