“Awesome stay! Would absolutely recommend!”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My now husband, and I traveled here for our honeymoon early this month. We are Marriott owners and exchanged through Interval. The exchange was easy. Check-in was completely seamless, Nicole was our greeter and she was very sweet. She made sure to give us the room with the best view available. The accommodations were very clean and spacious!

Of course early in the week we were called on to attend a timeshare presentation with the reward of $150 voucher for on property services/dining and a few local restaurants and shops. The presentation staff were nice and made their pitch. We declined and they gave us no real hassle. After 2-3 'nos' they politely sent us on our way, with the promised reward.

The Ocean Club sits in the middle of what staff call "Marriott Village" next to 3 other Marriott properties and the building of a Ritz-Carlton (opening Nov. 13, and it looks like it will be amazing). The beach at Marriott Village is one of the best. My husband and I walked the beach for miles just to get a look at the other properties and their beach areas.

Staff was amazing, nice and helpful. We had access to nearly all of the resorts and their offerings, except for a few private pools. Activities were easily and fully accessible. If you are looking for water sports and island activities Wayne and Diego on the beach are the best! Everyday we were able to get a beach hut with chairs, ocean front, with NO problems. We are late risers so we caught the spaces of the early risers who were ready for naps by 11.

Simply Fish is a MUST! Candle lit dinner on the ocean was amazing and the food was good too. Kind of pricey, but hey, you're on vacation! We only took a cab once during our stay, because the Ocean Club's location is premier and is walking distance to nearly everywhere you would want to go. For couples there were several families in the resort but we didn't experience any headache or disturbance from kids enjoying their vacation.

Overall our stay was great, we had no complaints! I couldn't wait to write a review and share what an awesome time we had. (I read reviews avidly so I hope for someone else this helps!)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 810Bride

Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you crave quiet and serenity, this is not the place for you. If you have an issue that needs to be resolved, this is not the place for you.

First, this resort has the idea that EVERYONE needs to be entertained, and LOUDLY, whether they want to be or not. We had a room that overlooked the pool area. We spend a lot of time in our room because I'm disabled and my husband has to work while we're on vacation. Even with the patio door closed, we could hear the BINGO games being called out (who wants to hear, "Who has B2?"). The music is extremely loud -- again, even with the patio doors closed. Sitting out on the balcony is out of the question. Many calls to the front desk and to the pool bar met with responses of "I'll see what we can do," and nothing ever happened. So we started calling asking for the manager, and of course, no one ever called.

Secondly, we brought some CDs with us. Guess what? No instructions about how to use it. My husband went down to the front desk to get instructions. There weren't any. Supposedly the book is being redone. (Is it too hard to hand-write a one page instruction sheet and photocopy it?) The person told him to put the channel on 00. Well, the channel wouldn't GO on 00. After 3 more calls to the front desk, an engineer was finally sent up. Dwayne was very helpful. He said the front desk had been trained, but we guess it didn't stick. Guess what channel the TV had to be on? 133! Really?! My husband asked the front desk to have a manager call. The person indicated there was no manager on site. Again, really? This is a huge resort. And of course, no one ever called.

I wrote to Marriott on its website. I indicated that management was not being responsive. The next day I got an email indicating someone would call me. The Ocean Club's email was on that note. And guesss what -- no one contacted us. I replied to that email a day later and indicated that no manager ever did contact us.

Forget this resort unless you expect no service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lepha
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at our resort. Our resort activities program is one of the highlights for guests staying at the resort. We would have been happy to move you to a villa on the other side of the resort which would have a provided for a more quiet and relaxing stay. We apologize that no one followed-up with you; however, we do not have a record of your complaint. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and look forward to welcoming you at a Marriott Vacation Club resort in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let me just start with that I've stayed at all the Marriott properties in Aruba and I'm a TS owner at the Marriott Surf club. Overall, I am a fan of Marriott and all properties on Eagle Beach (not the downtown Residence property).

The location and property are great. There are just a few things that would have made a good trip great (in my opinion).

First and foremost, I traveled this trip with my one year old son. I requested a high chair and crib for my stay. Upon check-in I needed to re-request this since it was not added to my file even though I asked in the pre-check-in call. They both arrived timely but the crib ( a graco pack-n-play) was terrible. It had a cover on it and it smelled bad like it had been in someones musty basement for multiple years. I left it out on the deck for two days during our trip to try to air out the smell but it didn't work. Also the mattress itself has what appeared to a bit stained. I ended up requesting extra sheets and covered the mattress itself to try to mask the smell and add some padding. I wrapped it with 5 king size sheets (so it had about 30 sheets on one small bed) and it still had a strong musk smell. If I had know that their cribs were so old and smelly I would have brought my own. If anyone is traveling to this hotel with an infant definitely back your own pack-n-play. The highchair was the typical wood restaurant grade chair. It was new looking and extremely clean.

Also, the power outlets are about 2 feet up on the wall. My son found this fascinating. I would have brought a few plastic covers to childproof my room to deter him from the location of the outlet's.

Also, I found it strange that everyday house cleaning was servicing our floor they had all of their cart along the hall the whole day. This was a bit surprising. When you think about it they only check-in new guests fri, sat, and sun - why do they need a 6 by 4 cart of sheets in the hallway every day? The mid-week room spruce the staff only makes the bed. Also, I don't really want to walk past a mop bucket every day on vacation. This was my first time seeing this on the OC. This wasn't a big deal, but I think they could come up with a better system.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 3mantic
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Aruba's Marriott Ocean Club is what every hotel wants to be; beautiful, quiet, and run very well. The groundskeeping is great, abd the rooms are nice and updated. The service is great, always there for you. It did not seem extremely crowded, but it was full. Aruba is a beautiful island with beautiful people.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been to Aruba 5 times and this is by far the best place I have stayed. Everyone here is so nice and will do anything they can to make your stay comfortable. While there they have plenty of entertainment and walking distance to everything. There is a Casino right next door where I lost my money but still a good time. The atmosphere is always a good time and everyone wants to have a good time. I am sure other hotels are enjoyable too but this has been the best of the few I have tried.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean N
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Marriott Ocean Club. We loved it! The staff was pleasant and helpful. Grounds were beautiful. The island itself is very expensive but once you get over that, you just accept it!
Loved the hot tub! Pool bar and pool bingo!!! Moomba Beach is a great restaurant a short walk down the beach, and Andres was a great waiter!
Only thing we weren't crazy about were the iguanas at the pool. Harmless, but if you are eating they will come!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anne o
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our second par of our summer 2013 Aruba vacation was spent at the Marriott Ocean Club. The first part was spent at the Surf Club. This was by design; we are considering buying into the vacation club. I reviewed the Surf Club separately.
Check in : this was very efficient and quicker than the Surf Club. The staff, like the Surf Club, is very warm and friendly. One woman in particular, was always smiling. The lobby is far more inviting than the Surf Club. This lobby beckons you to sit a while. It is also nice that the rear of the lobby faces the back where the pool is. The lobby also has a few shops, including a bake shop (coffee, ice cream, baked goods, sandwiches, salads), a place to get milk, snacks, etc. and another shop for clothes, etc. You can cut through the lobby to walk across the way to the Marriott Hotel to the Casino, where there are considerable more eateries and shops. The gym is also located in the Marriott Hotel.

The room: We stayed in a one bedroom on the second floor. We overlooked the space in between our resort and the Marriott Hotel. Clearly a view of nothing but I still used the balcony to dry our wet things and have breakfast. This one bedroom was smaller than the Surf Club. There is no washer and dryer in the unit but down the hall. That room had 4 washers and 4 dryers for the entire floor so plan accordingly- no charge. The kitchen although on the smallish side, was fully equipped. Like the surf club, full fridge, dishwasher, electric stove, coffee maker, all cookware and utensils. plates: fiestaware marigold. the bedroom has one king bed. Unlike the Surf Club, there is no sink in the bedroom There is only the whirlpool bathtub. Like the Surf Club, you can access the balcony either through the bedroom or the living room The safe in the closet is digital- you select the code (the Surf Club safe has a key). There is plenty of storage place. There is even a vanity table with a mirror- well used by myself and my daughter.

This resort is not as busy as the Surf Club. There were children but certainly not to the degree as the Surf Club. The pool, to me, was a little disappointing. I am not comparing it to the lazy river at the Surf Club but I do think it is small given the size of the resort. I never had a problem getting a chair with shade- again, this may be that it was July and not high season. The swim up bar was great and we certainly took advantage of the drink specials given the prices. The towel shack is right by the restaurant by the pool. There were aerobic classes held in the pool in the morning, zumba classes near the pool and bingo in the early afternoon. I never rented a palapa; I just walked from the pool to the ocean. I loved using the ocean in the afternoon; it truly is beautiful.
Restaurants- We only ate at Champs and La Vista. Champs is fine- like what the have back in the States but triple the price. We ate at La Vista twice- non-buffet. The first night was outstanding the second not so much but the bill was adjusted. I would go back- the owners do care about their quality and their customers- again, expensive but then, so is all of Aruba.

In summary, I would go back to Aruba in a heartbeat; we are still considering the vacation club. If you go, remember, Aruba is not expensive, it is VERY expensive-if you remember that, you will not be shocked. You can take a cab to the supermarket and you WILL spend you month's food budget at one time but it is nice to have breakfast and sometimes lunch, in the room and then splurge at dinner. Aruba is windy so you will look great leaving your room only to be unrecognizable later on. That being said, if it were not for the tradewinds, you could not go out during the day. You MUST wear sunscreen because you WILL get burned. I was very conscious of sunscreen but managed to get burned on the back of my neck.

Take advantage of the fact that there are no public beaches so walking from this resort all the way to the Divi Phoenix was a joy. Oh, BTW, the sunsets- OMG- just glorious.

We truly loved both the Marriott Surf and Ocean Club. We lost a/c at the Marriott for one day an management gave everyone a bottle of wine- really- I do not consider myself a pain but I think they should have taken something off the bill for this inconvenience.

All in all, Marriott did a fabulous job.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the ocean