“Simply Heaven!!”

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Newtown, Connecticut
“Simply Heaven!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been going here together since 2002. We have now called it our 2nd home. First Aruba itself is the best island, where else can you find such nice people beautiful beaches and a place where you never have to worry about the weather when you go away. Marriott ocean club and it's staff have always been top notch. The ocean club is so more relaxing than its neighbor hotel the surf club. If you are looking for a place to get away and relax with someone go to the ocean club. If you have kids and want a fun place for them then the surf club would be your choice. The ocean club hotel hasn't check aged either in 10 years. That's what makes it so great when you come back its just how you left it (except a few upgrades which look great). The staff espically the best bartender in Aruba EDWARD and the activities people by the pool do such a great job to keep everyone entertained. We will keep going back every year too relax and unwind!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was here for a meeting. The hotel is part of 3 Marriott hotels. This means that I get to use the three hotel facilities (not sure if it is against the rules, but no one stopped me). Service was great, everyone is friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for higher room close to the beach for best ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank john w
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our 19th yr. in Aruba and 18th with the Marriott. We first stayed in the Marriott Hotel
the first 10 yrs. and then moved over to the Timeshare side when it was built.

Everyone goes to Aruba for the beautiful water, beaches and hospitality. We would add to
that list the wonderful people who work in the Marriott Hotel and Timeshare.

Annie Theophile has made sure that we felt like we were home and comfortable for the 18 yrs.
we have been at the Marriott.What would we do without her! She is family.

There are so many more that are concerned for your vacation, Elizabeth in La Vista Bar,
Rosa in La Vista, Chef GeorgeWinterdal is killer with menus, David who oversees the pools,Tito , Ivan and Edgar in La Vista,
Ben, RosaANGEL, Suki, Mario, Mike and the Deli girls in the Ocean Club, Editha and others in
Champions . The list goes on and on but the pattern is the same, they are there for you.

Room Tip: It is difficult to always have the best ocean view room as this is a popular property. Everyone w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We traded a week with a time share and were lucky to get into this amazing hotel. Talking about being able to relax and feel like a VIP. We had the experience of a life time and before we were done we were all planning out next trip. The hotel staff went out of there way to assist and the rooms were updated, clean and had everything one would need. Laundry area was available on each floor at no cost - which was great when you are at the beach each day. The pools were well kept and relaxing and the Huts on the beach were perfect to relax under. this is the first place where I have been able to unwind from work but if I needed to check in wifi was available for no cost - another added surprise. This place is well worth the money as you will leave feeling like a VIP. I would stay here again and I have recommended to my friends and family.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week in Aruba. I have found that arriving early helps to secure the room location I am seeking when I travel. That did not work out at this Marriott timeshare. We even stayed O/N at the Marriott Hotel next door in an attempt to get a high floor at the Ocean Club (by arriving at 9 a.m.), but were offered only a ground floor, albeit one right at the beach end (they said we could move to the third floor on Monday, but who wants to pack up again?). I am not an owner, but do trade a very in-demand timeshare, so we were disappointed in not getting a better ocean view. After having stayed at the Marriott Hotel, on the 8th floor the night before, though, I realized it was so hot, I would not be using the balcony anyway. Plus, the location was an easy walk to the beach and far enough away from the pool noise that it was pleasant. I did speak directly with a manager about the low floor (I did not not wait for the front desk staff to advocate for me because I do agree that the front desk staff at OC are either inept or waiting for a tip or something but in any event are terrible). The manager offered us consolations such as access to the lazy river (which we used only twice) for the week.

The layout of the two bedroom villa with one adult child (18) is superb. Privacy for both rooms is complete. When she was younger I did not like the lock-off, but I joked that this time she used it as a "lock-OUT" but at least she still vacationed with us! My DH, who is a VERY particular traveller said, without prompting and at the end of our week, "Well, I have no complaints about the Ocean Club." That is a stellar review from him!

Our teen was a little sad whenever we walked by the Surf Club because many teens stay at the Surf Club and very few do at the Ocean Club. After spending time on the lazy river, though, I realized I would have gone stir crazy at Surf Club with SO many kids there! Surf Club sounds like a rollicking good time, but not relaxing. As much as I love my kid, and wanted her to enjoy vacation, I am very glad we were at the Ocean Club. Perhaps the OC, since it does have a notable number of older children with their parents, could provide an opportunity for them to mingle, by either creating events for 18-25 year olds or be VERY clear up front that OC teens can attend Surf Club activities (I did see an invitation to Surf Club volleyball mentioned on the outside activities board late in our week). OC also seemed more international, which I liked, while Surf Club full of New Yorkers and New Jersey residents (being from NY, I am just saying the difference made the week feel more interesting).

This time of year, palapas (beach huts) were easy to secure. By 8:15 a.m., my DH dutifully went out to reserve our (free, third row) palapa each day and was always able to get one. I did not find OC too noisy, but I am used to timeshares and the activities they offer.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Diane D
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have been owners there for many years and have always been treated well. This trip was not the norm. We were contacted many times by email and by phone by Marriott to get our preferences before we arrived which we gladly supplied. Check in last week was a nightmare. Not given ANY requests at all. They assigned us to a ground floor room facing the jungle close to the lobby. We argued that we asked for a higher floor 9 months before we got there, and that the room choice was not acceptable . Not treated very respectfully as owners. It was like we just walked in off the street. Had no choice but to take the room. Walked our own luggage to the room, checked out the view which was like a rain forest from the patio. No way could we see the ocean except if there was a tsunami even though the front desk people swore all the rooms facing the pool were ocean view. NO WAY!!!!.
The bathroom...shower floor looked like people stood there with tar on their feet, disgusting. Living room couch...dirty, old, flat cushions, worn, etc. Not to be sat on without a sheet covering it.
Pool music....you needed earplugs all day due to the steady drum beats that ruined our time at the pool. Couldn't even escape the noise when we went back to the room to relax. Really folks, it was horribly LOUD!!!
Front desk people asked my husband if his stay was going well one night when he asked to see his bill. They asked HIM, so he mentioned the fiasco at check in. The woman said we were listed as "paying/exchanging" guests, not as owners, and assured him that she would rectify the problem. Nothing was ever done. Their attitude at the front desk was rude and condescending and above all, not helpful. We tried to stay an hour past checkout time b/c we had a 5Pm flight home but we told NO because of the cleaning crew's tight schedule.
During this whole trip and after speaking to a lot of other guests, we all agreed that the customer service here has gone waaay down hill. We might sell our week after being treated so poorly. they sent us a survey which I filled out. I explained everything just like here. Guess I'll never hear back from Marriott. We'll see. Enjoy!

Room Tip: it doesn't do any good to request anything in advance because they give you the room they want...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jerseyjill
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We are disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club. Your satisfaction is very important to us and if we did not provide the Marriott level of service that you expect and deserve, we would like an opportunity to appropriately address your experience. Please contact our Customer Care office via email at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384 so that we can personally address your concerns.
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2013

All the Marriott property's in aruba are very nice and situated on a white sandy beach. We loved our two room villa, which was very spacious. We love the second floor. We get ocean view rooms. It is not far from good restaurants and the downtown shopping mall. The customer service is great. Housekeeping always leaves you feeling clean. In the morning, they clean your room and give you new towels. We have been coming since the 90's

Room Tip: Try to get 5212, 5213
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family