“No peace to be found here.”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“No peace to be found here.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This review is difficult to write because I am a Marriott timeshare owner of two properties; Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe which we use annually and love, and Marbella Beach Club in Marbella Spain, another lovely property. Our week at Marriott was so disturbing, we checked out early. The noise levels here are abusive. Starting late morning and continuing throughout the day you are bombarded by extremely loud bad BOOM BOOM music and an activities center loud speaker screaming out various game show/aerobics classes. This was the most stressful week we've had in years. Not even in our villa with the balcony doors shut could we find solace. Only good point was that our beachfront villa, while a bit old and dated, was spacious and very comfortable with gorgeous views. After 4 days, we just couldn t take it anymore and checked out early giving up our week to move to the Bacuti Resort which was a very good move. See review on Bacuti. Marriott Aruba - food was medicore, people very friendly, grounds acceptable, beach was above average but hardly amazing and beach chair / cabana reservation system bizarre. I can t recommend this to anyone looking to relax beachside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Freja3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Aruba for an anniversary celebration and had a wonderful time. The Marriott Ocean Club is a very nice hotel situated with two other Marriott properties on Palm Beach. The Ocean Club is the quieter and appears to be the oldest of the three properties. It is very nicely appointed with everything we wanted but we were a little disappointed that the Marriott has implemented a policy that Ocean Club guests are now restricted from a number of the pools and amenities in the other properties. When we booked our trip this policy wasn’t in place and disallowed the use of the “adult” pool as well as the lazy river both of which we were planning on enjoying. The Ocean Club seemed to be more appropriate for adults where the Beach Club next door seems to be a child’s dream with their lazy river, pools, game rooms and child friendly activities. My greatest disappointment was with the staff. We had made a single request on four different occasions for a top floor room. This request was acknowledged by one of the resorts managers and we were told that this request would be passed along to the front desk. When we arrived we were not given a top floor room and were told they knew nothing of our request. When I produced the email from their manager I was told the manager wasn’t available and there was nothing that could be done. On top of that the Marriott sends you a email asking for any requests and what days you would like to pay to have your room cleaned. We provided the dates we wanted cleanings and each day we were scheduled via our email and confirmed on check in the cleaning didn’t happen. Each time I had to call down and ask when they were coming only to be told each day that it was in the front desk system but not the housecleaning system. This happened 4 times over the 10 days we were there. In all, nice hotel but I wasn’t impressed with the staff.

Room Tip: Don't pay for ocean front, our room was on the inside of the courtyard and we had a very nice vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom P
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Aruba has changed in the last ten years or so. It has experienced dramatic economic development. There are many more stores, more houses and more tourists...but one thing that has remained constant is the accommodations provided by JW Marriott. The Marriott complex is large. It too has grown with both timeshares and hotel rooms to choose from. Each area has its own pool/pools and restaurants. Our room in the Ocean Club was bright, airy with a full kitchen, and a wonderful view of the pool, beach and ocean. The wifi is provided, which made our granddaughter happy, but it did not extent to the beach-curses! The balcony was a great place to relax and unwind. Tikis were available on the white sand beach. The first few rows were rented ($), but if you were content to sit back a bit, the shade and the view were free. The pool and the swim-up pool bar were attractions in the later afternoon hours as the sun began to set. Marriott provided a number of activities including yoga, zumba and daily bingo, as well as live musical entertainment. There were some downsides. Of course we ate out for the majority of our meals. We tried several of the Marriott restaurants, as well as other establishments close by. I can honestly say that we didn't have any meals that we felt were 'special.' The food was just average everywhere (with the exception of the coconut shrimp appetizer and the fish tacos at Champions). The drinks were overpriced and sported very little alcohol. And should you make the mistake we did and purchase some food in the Marriott convenience store, be prepared for sticker shock. Special K-$11.25 !!! I would suggest listening to the locals suggestions and heading away from the resort to find your dinners. The casino is the one 'smoking area' in the hotel, but the smell permeates the whole first level. For me that was particularly annoying and the smoke made it unlikely that we would ever gamble there. And finally there was a mystery noise in our room. It sounded like furniture being moved, and with tile floors that was a possibility, but the sounds occurred at such odd times that furniture shifting didn't seem like the answer. We never did solve it. While there are now a full compliment of jewelry stories in the shopping center near-by, the better prices are still to be found downtown. Aruba is still a wonderful place to kick back and relax. There is nothing like that constant 84 degrees and soft breeze. And Marriott provides a good destination resort, but it does have those areas noted above that could be improved upon.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Ocean Club be sure to request a pool view, and the higher floor the better for th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Speddaddy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent stay at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club during the last wk of May. We were told that the busy season in Aruba is between December thru Easter, so May was actually a great time to visit with less crowd. We got a Studio suite (we did a lock-off exchange)on the 5th floor (6th is the top floor) and we had a good view of the ocean from our balcony. It was just my wife and I, so the Studio suite was big enough. It includes a sofa bed that sleeps two. Pls note that the Studio suite does not include a bath tub (just a shower, but very roomy + two sinks). I found the hotel workers friendly enough (perhaps my expectation was too high) and helpful (I wasn't blown away by them). We ate at Champions (sports bar with lots of TV screens and great fish tacos!) and Ocean Cafe (great coffee and breakfast sandwich). If you want to eat at Simply Fish (ocean view dinner w sands between your toes), you better book early! We didn't go out to the beach or use the pool early part of the days, so finding a palapa during the late afternoon was not a problem and the pool was never crowded during the late afternoon. There's a towel station for pick-up/drop-off, which was easy. Wi-Fi in the room worked fine. There is also a front desk personnel to help book all types of excursions. We did the afternoon snorkeling and snuba with De Palm Tours for 3 hours. Snorkeling is definitely worth it, but not the snuba (which is additional $50). But eat something before you go - the food they provide is terrible (hot dogs (I think) and sub sandwiches).

Two other Marriott hotels (Surf Club and Resort & Stellaris Casino) are connected to Ocean Club. We ate breakfast at Lobby Cafe at the Resort & Stellaris Casino (it has a great lobby and bar with live music during the evenings). We also won few extra $$ at the casino playing the slots.

We didn't rent a car and that was fine. The cab ride from the airport to the hotel was $25. The cabs in Aruba do not have a meter. They have a set price depending on distance. So, my recommendation is that before you hop in, ask the driver how much it will cost. We also took buses, which cost $2.30 per person each way. We even took it to downtown bus terminal.

Ocean Club is in a great location. You can easily walk to the strip with shops and restaurants. It seemed like people came out during the evenings when the weather cooled down.

No one told us, but the best part about Aruba was the food! We did not have a single bad meal. Aruba should be known as a foodie paradise! I'll just list the places we went and you can read about them right here in Tripadvisor (we used Tripadvisor app during our entire stay). Here's my list of recommended restaurants: Gostoso (Portugese flavor); Taste of Belgium (Belgium waffles and Belgium beers!); Linda's Dutch Pancakes and Pizza (oh, those pancakes... still thinking about them); Cafe 080 (local dive); Bavaria (German beer and food!!); Smokey Joe's (ribs... yum); and Ventanas del Mar (located at Tierra del Sol Golf Resort).

I read a lot of reviewers saying that everything is expensive in Aruba. I disagree. Perhaps this has a lot to do with me living in Los Angeles (paying nearly 10% tax), but I completely found prices in Aruba reasonable.

We had a great stay and we'll be back here again for the food... and we'll be staying at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club for sure.

2 Thank LosAngelo007
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed 5 Nights at the Marriot Ocean Club in Aruba. The staff is very friendly and helpful, as soon as my girlfriend and I arrived, we were upgraded to a room with an Ocean View. The pool is nice and clean, just not that big. There are 2 other Marriots on each side of the Ocean Club, the Surf club and Stolaris. I thought the pool areas at these two resorts were better than the Ocean Club and it would be nice if the Marriot allowed all their guests to use all three hotels and pool areas, but they don't. All in all, great stay, good people.

Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Marriott Ocean Club rarely disappoints. The rooms are spacious, clean, well-decorated, in good working order, and the staff is friendly. The bed was comfortable. The linen's are not luxurious, but adequate. The towels were in good repair, but "scratchy"/not soft. I appreciated this attribute when I got a sunburn, and was resisting the urge to scratch it. It's not as crowded as the Marriott Surf Club, (we own there as well-but don't go there because it's too crowded for our taste/it's not the atmosphere we're looking for.) The pool and grounds are meticulously maintained, although we prefer spending most of our time at the beach, under a palapa. There are shops on-site selling beachwear/summerwear, and trendy decorations, make-up/perfume, as well as a (very) little grocery store that also carries typical items you might need like sunscreen, pain-relief, cotton swabs, etc. There's an icecream/pastry shop, too. The La Vista restaurant has a good selection, tasty food, and pleasant staff. There's a sandwich shop on-site/poolside that is very generous with their portions, and our favorites happen to be the grilled grouper and club sandwiches. The poolside bar is pretty pricey for us/to our way of thinking, but they do have "specials" and "happy hour", $15 for two ~ 8oz frozen concoctions. (please note, that IS the special at happy hour.) During the week, they had a special @ $5 per 8 oz frozen concoction. Ruth Chris is on site, and it's a "must visit" for us while we're there. There's plenty of restaurants, water-action/adventure activities, spas, shopping, gambling, tours of the brewery, aloe farm, and butterfly farm, and other sites of interest nearby/walking distance, or a short bus or cab ride into town or you can rent a car. The shopping experience in town includes the great designers at the mall, and then there are the little shops along the road where you can purchase the typical, cheap souveniers that become tomorrow's yard sale items. Once you arrive, you'll want to go food shopping. We recommend Ling's for their great selection and quality items. There's a new supermarket we didn't try this time, near Ling's. I think it's called Super Food. If you go, let us know how you liked it ;) There are too many great restaurants to list! Check them out here, on Trip Advisor. If you have your heart set on a sunset dinner cruise, -don't wait- to make reservations. The power went out for a couple of hours, which affects the air-conditioning of course, and this has happened before on a previous visit. So, if you don't have one of those little flashlights on your key ring, you might want to get one. Although the power was out, the elevators were still operational. Getting a room with a great view, even as owners, is dependent on availability at the time of your arrival. Luckily, we don't spend a lot of time in the room, so, it's not such a disappointment if other's have a better view than we do. We do try to get a room as high as possible, and avoid the southside because of the hot afternoon sun. Regardless of when we stay, how long we stay, and what we do (or don't do), we're always sad to leave. Aruba IS One Happy Island, and the Marriott Ocean Club is a terrific place to stay. We think you'll like it, too.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better, for the view. The first floor, poolside, doesn't have enough privacy...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scoobski
Long Island, NY
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I’m a Marriott Vacation Club owner and exchanged my points for a week in Aruba at the Marriott Ocean Club. This was my first trip to Aruba. Weeks before the trip Marriott sent an email requesting preferences. My preferences were for a room on an upper floor away from the noise of the pool.
A week before the trip I received a call from Marriott about sitting for another 90 minute sales presentation. The caller tried real hard to get me to attend, but I was not going to buy more points so I did not want to waste the salesperson’s time. When I arrived I was giving a first floor room overlooking the pool, the exact opposite of my request. I can’t help but feel this was Marriott’s way of getting even for not attending another sales presentation.
My wife and I found Aruba to be a very enjoyable and relaxing vacation. We were not looking to do the tourist things just lay on the beach and relax. Some tips:
We rented a car. I saw buses and taxies, but I also saw people waiting for both. It’s my vacation and I prefer to come and go as I please without waiting.
The Marketplace, Marriott’s convenience store, is located in the Marriott Surf Club. Very expensive a ½ gallon of milk was $8.00. There is a Super Food only 3 Km from the hotel. Super Food had an excellent selection; prices were posted in US dollars. There was even a liquor store and drug store (sunscreen) in the Super Food.
You can reserve a beach hut the day before $15 a day. The other option is the towel hut opens at 7:00am and beach huts not reserved are available on a first come basis. I went down each morning between 7:30 and 8:00am and had no problem getting a beach hut for the day. Granted it was not in the first row by the water, it was row three but still a good location and free.
We ate at ‘Passions on the Beach’ one night. The restaurant or tables and chairs were right on the sand beach. The food was very good and my wife still tells everyone about eating on the beach.
The day we were leaving we found the Petit Café for breakfast. They had an American Breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries and toast) for only $7.95. The restaurant is not too far from the resort and a good option if you have a later flight because check-out is 10:00am.

Room Tip: I was told I selected Ocean Front, but any roon at the resort like ocean view would have been accept...
2 Thank Richard B