“All you wanted to know about Aruba”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Oak Park
“All you wanted to know about Aruba”
Reviewed April 19, 2008

So just got back from aruba April/08 and here is what I have to say about the island and all the things I experienced there. Trip advisor was very helpful in helping me plan my vacation so I hope this will help you. I went there with My girlfriend and we had an overall very good time. so I will give teh Pros and Cons on stuff. I stayed for 7 days 6 nights and it is my first visit. probably last too.
Hotel: Marriott Ocean
Positives: Room was excellent we overlooked pool and beach and it was great. nothing bad to say quiet, even next to the pool. Cleaned it 1 time during the week and staff working for hotel was excellent very helpful. Pool was great and workout room very nice.
Negatives;
Hotel was great but the SPA at the hotel was horrible. I went there two times to get my gf a massage and both times they were very rude and didnt appear to understand what I was asking for. Upon checkout we found they actually billed us twice and Marriott manager couldnt do anything about it as the spa is a seperate business from the marriott. This was bad because we checked out at 530 am and were still waiting to hear from the hotel about what can be done. BEWARE the SPA NAZIs.
The Massage itself was good my gf says but not worth the hassle and def. not worth being charged 200dollar. plenty of better spas esp. if you want to get a massage on the beach.

Outdoor Activities.
Advice: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH DE PALM TOURS!!!
that being said heres why.
Renting a Jeep; $74 dollars a day, with insurance, another guy I was talking too said they were going to charge him an extra 100 dollars to take the top off, mine had a removable but boy it gets hot and no A/C. anyways a car rental is 54 dollars a day. I rented a jeep 2 days and a car 1 day to just tool around downtown.
Pros:
Car was nice for getting to and from the downtown area. Oh and a typical cab ride is 15-25 dollars each way, you do the math. Great value. Get the Insurance. My Credit card wouldnt cover jeeps and dont know how usa policy does in aruba. insurance is 10 dollars a day extra.
COn:
Jeep; no A/c, no protection for your stuff so your going to be lugging anything valuable everywhere you go.
Advice:
Rent the jeep and go to the national park, so much fun, but beware we saw A DEPALM tour truck overturned it is very dangerous. Get some experience in the park go to the caves etc.
The Natural Pool; a bit overrated, but GF liked it a lot. BeCAREFUL going to this is dangerous esp. if your not used to doing off roading in a jeep. Easy to get into trouble. GO SLOW and or take the DEPALM TOUR, however if your confident with your skills you can make it there and its cheaper then going with a tour. P.s. the tour came while we were there. 25 people jump into the pool for 1/2 hr and then the guy yells at them to lets go, it was horrible, so glad I didnt do the tour.
the Caves are a MUST SEE fun lots of bats, be prepared to TIP EVERYONE IN ARUBA even the "park rangers" asked for money, dont know what kind of rangers they were but gave a bit of info.

Snorkling, not the place to find a lot of nice coral, mostly all dead, but a bunch of small fish and easy access from the beaches. We brought our own snorkle equipment and with renting the car we got to all the same sites that the depalm tours take you too. The best place to snokel was baby beach and malmok beach. we were going to take the ferry over to De Palm island but they wanted 70 dollars a person wouldnt let us just go over even though we dont drink and had our own equipment. Silly trying to rip off tourists. Bring some bread and put it in the water and a million fish will come around. Renting the car made it easy to go and find less crowded beachs towards the west end of the island.

Restaurantsl;
we had some nice meals;
Best: Flying Fish Bone, great meal were from chicago and it was comparable to any restaurant in chicago. good food, atmosphere and service were excellent. Make reservations and ask to be on the beach very cool. People get a bit crazy with pictures during sunset but otherwise excellent.
Moomba Beach (might be wrong spelling)
its about 2 blocks west of marriott hotel on beach. Its the best, service was good not great but close. The food was excellent for what it was. and the atmosphere is very relaxed again get reservations for the Beach.
*** BEWARE*** most restaurants include tip I almost gave people 35% tip because i wasnt checking, CHECK YOUR CHECK and dont get scammed out of money, one place had an 18% gratuity.
AMAZONIA-- Horrible
thats being nice, service was horrible and we were 2 of 15 people in the place, cant imagine if it was busy, the steak was all well done and very chewy. I wouldnt feed my dog the crap they were pawning off as steak. DONT GO HERE...
Smokey Joes-- food -OK Service --Horrible
this place gets crowded so they try to jam as many people in as possible. we got sat at a table for 4 and next thing we know the waitress says the owner wont let me sit you here, so we have to move ( i wanted to leave gf didnt) should have!! another guy comes up asks us why we moved we tell him and he says that it wasnt true, the service was AWFUL took forever to get food and ask for the bill as soon as you order maybe you wont wait an extra 1/2 hr. dont go here!!!!

Highlights:
Caves
Off ROading
Dinner on the Beach
marriott
natural pool

Low Points:
Shopping for junk in downtown
Dinners mentioned.
Marriott SPA (Mandara) Spelling??

Becareful of the sun it was very windy and felt great but you can burn in 15 min. no joke.
****Get to Airport Early on departure, they say that the checkin gait closes 60min prior to boarding!!!!! ******* we got there 90 min prior to boarding and it took 89 min to get to the plane no kidding. And it wasnt a very busy time, I would allow 2 -2.5 hrs if I ever went again.
Brin g lots of sunscreen we went through 3 bottles of 50 30 and 15
their alovera products are awasome apply everyday and you will barely peel
** bring your own snorkel equipt. and rent a jeep it will be easier.

Anyways if you have anyother questions email me be happy to help if I can. Aruba is a cool place but probably wont go back. Once is enough to see it.

6 Thank Tmarch16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Allentown, NJ
Reviewed April 10, 2008

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Ocean Club over our daughter's school break. We arrived on Easter Sunday for a week long stay.

We are Marriott owners in St. Kitts and we got this week because we were unable to use our St. Kitts property last year. We deposited the week with Interval International along with a list of requested resorts in the Caribbean. We got the Ocean Club and we were happy that we did.

Friends of ours stayed at the Surf Club around Christmas time and loved it. I'm glad that we didn't get the Surf Club because it was packed Easter week. We went over a couple of days to use the lazy river (which technically we were not permitted to do) and the pool area was a madhouse. It was packed with barely enough room to negotiate between the chairs.

By comparison, the Ocean Club was a little more spread out and not nearly as crowded. We are early risers and never had a problem finding a pool chair with an umbrella or a palapa close to the fromt row.

During our week, security was definitely enforcing the no sharing rule between the Surf and Ocean Club properties. They identified guests by their beach towel color. If you are an Ocean Club guest and want to use the lazy river at Surf Club, don't take your towel with you.

The rooms in the Ocean Club consistent with the other Vacation Club property we've stayed at to date. They were clean, spacious and nicely appointed. Granted, the furniture is getting a little dated (nicks, dings and some stains), but these are easy things to fix. We had no problems with the safe as I've seen in other reviews. We had a 1 bedroom 3rd floor room overlooking the Iguana Sanctuary between the Ocean and Surf Club. It was partial ocean view, so we were satisfied with that. The one thing we were most disappointed in was the lack of a washer/dryer in the room. Also, the location of the laundry room was clear on the other side of the building.

The staff was very accomodating and friendly. We never ran into a problem with the service and we've come to expect this level of service at every Mariott. The conceirge gave us some good dinner suggestions. We were also provided clean bath towels three times during our stay without even asking. A surprise since many reviews mentioned that they had to ask for them.

The only restaurants we ate at on the property was the Pavillion and La Vista. The red snapper sandwich at Pavilion is of the best fish sandwiches I've ever had. The breakfast buffet at La Vista (in Stellaris) is pretty good, like any buffet, but expensive. You can also order a la carte. Our dinners were all off the resort and for our breakfasts and lunches we bought food at the Ling and Sons.

The drink prices at the pool bar were outrageous. I couldn't even justify the 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour. $10 for a mixed drink $5 for a beer. This is the one thing I just don't understand. At a timeshare resort, people have the option of buying their own alcohol or beer, so why drive people away with the high prices. I would think you would get more people to drink there by making them more reasonable. Now, there was no shortage of people drinking at the bar, so Marriott must be simply taking advantage of the guests that do not opt to buy their food and alcohol off premises.

I highly recommend the following restaurants in Aruba:
* Casa Tua - Great thin crust pizza, also great veal oso bucco (ate there twice)
* Salt and Pepper - great tapas for a light meal
* Smokey Joe's - excellent ribs
* El Gaucho - went there 10 years ago and it was every bit as good as I remembered it. Great Gaucho Steak and chimichuri.
* Madame Janette's - didn't quite live up to the hype, but was very good nonetheless.
*Moomba Beach Bar - had a light lunch here
AVOID:
*Le Petit Cafe - If you like your food burned on a brick and not cooked all the way through, then go here.

Renting a car is a good way to get around the island. We rented a Yaris for about $115 for 4 days from Economy in the Marriott lobby. Cabs are readily available, but in our 3 experiences with cabs, the prices were not consistent at all.

We only did a couple of excursions, but both were worth the price. We did the Jolly Pirates full day cruise with lunch and snorkelling. The crew is great. Very entertaining. Loved the rope swing. Our other excursion was a sunset cruise with DePalm tours. Typical sunset cruise, but we love being on the catamarans during that time of day.

We did the timeshare presentation to get our Marriott points. There was no pressure to buy, but he was sure hard selling the Surf Club and benefits of owning in Aruba. We met a man outside the cafe that owns 2 weeks at Ocean Club and one week at Surf. He is selling his week at the Surf Club for another at Ocean because of the overcrowding. We were told that they intend on putting an adults only pool between the Ocean and Surf Club, but it was unclear whether the pool would be available to both resorts or just Surf Club.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at the Ocean Club. We liked that it was quieter and less crowded than the Surf Club and would recommend staying there despite it beginning to show its age a little.

• Liked — non-crowded pool and beach area
  • Disliked — No washer/dryer in the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank cmak12
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 29, 2008

This is the second time my husband and I have visited Aruba in six months. The weather was beautiful.

We own a platinum Marriott week in Vegas and my husband is a platinum Marriott member. We traded our timeshare for this unit. We checked in and the original room we were given was the worst room in the place, closest to the road, overlooking the a/c units for the Marriott hotel. Also next to trash and washer dryer. My husband asked if we were given a good room and they said all units are ocean view, but when pressed, our room was changed.

Our unit overlooked the Surf Club. We had a partial ocean view from our balcony. The balcony was large and nice with a table for our morning coffee and breakfast. No sunset viewing though

We never had an issue finding shade by the pool or a free palapa at any time of the day. The day we arrived there must have just been a storm, the beach was littered with sea weed. When you would wade into the water you were standing in several inches of seaweed, the water was murky, and smelled badly. Therefore, I didn't get to enjoy my favorite activity of floating on my raft. Never fear, we went to Ren island, which was lovely and to Arashi beach to snorkel, also nice.

These units need to be updated to be considered 5 star.

Service was very good. Any time we made any type of request it was handled quickly and then a follow up phone call was made to make sure we were satisfied.

No washer and dryer in room, but if you call, they will bring clean towels. Washer and dryers are available free of charge if you have soap.

This resort is very crowded. We prefer a smaller, quieter location, so we will try low rise or go back to Ren on our next visit.

Each meal we had out was great - We enjoyed, Simply Fish, Ruth's Chris, Destiny, Smokey Joes, Moomba, Hadicurari, Senor Frog, and the restaurant on Ren Island.

• Liked — close proximity to good restaurants
  • Disliked — the lack of view of ocean
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cindeeandjim
Gibsonia, PA
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Just got back from Aruba for the second year in a row. This year we stayed at the Ocean Club (last year was the surf club). These were both trades using our 3BR unit at the Grand Vista in Orlando.

Anyway, once again we had a great time. The pool area at the Ocean Club was not very crowded at all - we always got poolside chairs right by the pool entrance, no matter what time of day - as opposed to the Surf Club, where it was packed. (Note that there is *not* reciprication between guests at the Ocean and Surf Club's anymore regarding pools - you have to use your own.) In addition, we were able to get Palapa each time we wanted w/o having to reserve or pay anything - this occurred as early as 11:00am.

We had a first floor room, which wasn't the greatest location - until we considered how easy it was to get to the pool and for my wife and I to sit poolside and have our kids be inside doing something and just have them come to the balcony and yell for us - that was nice. We tried to get a room higher up early in the week, and they found one for us, but it was in a corner and a bit smaller, so we decided just to stay. The room itself was nice and clean, but clearly a bit dated compared to the Surf Club. The biggest issue (for my wife anyway) was no in-room washer/dryer. This was only a problem regarding bath towels - we requested them three times during the week plus the usual midweek towel change - clean ones were delivered ASAP without question. Very good service, I thought.

Did the usual and went to Ling and Sons IGA - no issues. GOt beer, chips, lunch meats and cheese, cereal, etc. Had htat for lunch each day.

For dinner each night we went out - went to Simply fish (loved it) Amazonia (all-you-can-eat-meat: loved it), Fondu-Something or the other (loved it - be sure to get the chocolate desert fondu - incredible), Salt and Pepper (Tapas - loved it), Champions in the hotel( good america food), Scara in the new shopping area near Playa Linda Resort (just ok, but not crowded), and Senior Frogs (Slow and overpriced, but ok) Note that we had kids and they were all able to find something to eat either off kids menus or smaller portions of what we got or appetizers.

Also, my wife found a cool botique shop in the same plaza as Scara that had very nice (but not too expensive) italian womens clothes. Its called something that translates to "Kiss from Rome" Anyway, the woman who owes it just up and left Rome to start a new life in Aruba and seemed very much into her work - so, stop by if you want to look for some neat stuff and support a local entrepreneur.

We went the week of Easter and pretty much everything in the downtown area was closed on Good Friday and on Easter (and on Tuesday - it was Aruba Flag Day) so things were really laid back. We flew home on Easter Monday and the airport was deserted - we could have arrived 1.5 hours early and made it through all the checks.

We did a little more siteseeing this time - went to the lighthouse and walked down to the shore which was cool as well as went to the butterfly farm, which the kids loved.

All in all a great time and we are looking to go back again next year, same time, to either Surf or Ocean Clubs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of drinks (not including Happy Hour!!!)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank PAHoosiers
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2008

This review is long overdue. We stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club from Sept 30-Oct 5. Apparently this is one of the hotter times to go. The weather was very warm and one day it was 112 farenheit with the heat index. But, we stayed by the pool or the ocean and took a quick dip when we needed to cool off.

My boyfriend and I usually stay at all-inclusive properties just so we don't have to hassle with dinner reservations or cabs to/from the resort. We stayed with some friends of ours that have a time share in Vegas, but traded their week for a week in Aruba.

I was a little worried because we had read reviews about there being construction at all hours of the day, so we called ahead to make sure we had a room at the opposite side of the resort where there wasn't any construction and they accomodated our request.

All in all it was a nice property. You can use all the properties, but we honestly didn't like ths Surf Club. It was noisey, crowded and too many kids. It's a newer property, but just too loud.

The beach was pretty. We went down around 9:30 most days to get a palapa, and had no problem finding one. We weren't concerned with a view or being super close to the water, so we had no issues with that. The water was beautiful and I could have stayed in it all day. It had one of the nicer beaches of the resorts we have been to. I think the only nicer one was the Atlantis in the Bahamas. The water was the perfect temperature and if you wanted you could rent a little floaty raft for $5 and hang out on that all day if you wanted.

The pool was quite nice. I like pools that are kind of sprawling because I don't really swim, I just sort of bob around. The pool bar was a great feature. I liked just cooling off in the shade and having one of the daily happy hour 2-for-1 drinks. There were also a ton of lizards and iguanas everywhere. You have to be careful not to step on them, but also not to feed them too closely. A girl had 13 stitches when we were there because she tried to get a little to friendly while feeding one. But if you just sit back and watch them, they're pretty cool. We got lots of great pictures of them.

We tried the sports bar while we were there, which was decent. Most of the food on the island seems to be Americanized. Lots of fast food everywhere. We had dinner one night at the Benihana's because we weren't feeling that creative. But a highlight of the trip was our dinner at Flying Fishbone. You can choose to have a table in the sand, or in the water, and you can watch the sunset while enjoying your meal on the beach. It was truly romantic and the food was exquisite and we highly recommend it.

We rented a jeep for a day or two and did some shopping in Orangestad (not worth it unless you want jewelry), and did some driving down on the beaches and near the lighthouse. We did our grocery shopping at one of the big stores near Orangestad, and saved some money eating lunch in. Plus we could take our cooler down to the beach with our own booze and save some money that way. It was nice to have a kitchen and a living area. There was a DVD player, so we brought some of our Netflix with us to watch which was fun.

We had a nice time and definitely enjoyed being away from work for a week. We enjoyed staying with our friends, but in terms of money, we ended up spending more to stay here and buy our own food than some other all-inclusive.

• Liked — The beach and the pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cunegonde22
Cleveland
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I go to Aruba with family and friends at least once a year and its always a blast. I have stayed at the Stellaris, the Ocean Club and the Surf Club. I like them each for different reasons. We usually stay at the Ocean Club because it is located in the middle of the "complex" and you have central access to everything. There are a few nice shops and a good sports bar. The pool area is also a lot less crowded than the new Surf Club pool area, although the Surf Club's pool area is much newer (fresher) and much larger. Aruba is a very windy island but for some reason it is much more noticable at the Surf Club (perhaps the design of the building) you have to anchor down everything (could just be the area we choose to sit in). I stayed in a room at the Stellaris only once because the air flowing in the room made my husband and I congested the entire time we were there (we have not had this problem in the other rooms) but the facilities (restaurants, shops, casino, and pool area) are very nice.

Definately take the time to walk the length of the beach and check out the other hotels (shops, bars, restaurants) we like to stop at the Pelican Cove located on the pier down the beach for appetizers and drinks. The outdoor bar next door to the Surf Club (Mambo Jambos) has great atmosphere and good drinks.

Favorite Restaurants on the Island:

You have to go to Madam Jeanettes, its a favorite for sure. I have loved every dish I have ever ordered from this restaurant. It has a beautiful, fun atmosphere.

I really enjoy La Trattoria at the lighthouse. The view is beautiful from this outdoor restaurant. The high altitude offers a great panorama of the landscape. The trattoria filet is great (I think I'm naming the correct one, it has strawberry's in the description).

El Gaucho is good (once) for serious meat lovers.

Every year we rent our own 4 wheelers and trek across the island, its a blast. Be sure to carry a backpack with water, sunscreen, goggles (at least glasses), camera. We go around the lighthouse and across the back of the island by all of the traditional sites (church, gold smelting fort, etc) and up the road to the Ostrich Farm for a smoothie. Then we continue on to the Donkey Sanctuary where you can leave a donation in the mailbox outside of the gate (to care for the donkeys), you can let yourself in and walk right up to the animals . From there we continue on to the natural pool (this is a difficult ride even on 4 wheelers but its worth it) for a swim. The water is clear in the pool and if you have some bread the fish will put on show around you. From there we continue through the national park towards the beach where there is a bar literally in the middle of nowhere (its really cool). We stop there for fish and margaritas (everything has to be weighted down because it is very windy at this outdoor bar). If we aren't out of time (on the first go-round you will probably have gone the wrong way a few times and be short on time) we continue to the caves and from there for a short but relaxing swim at Baby Beach. The water at Baby Beach is extremely shallow for a very long time - its nice, I have heard that there is good snorkling farther out. After that its def. time to get back.

I would not go to Carlos 'n' Charlies, I have had very bad experiences with the staff. There are also a lot of people that hang around outside hoping to sell illegal substances.

• Liked — The Marriott has a lot to offer.
  • Disliked — The pool area is beginning to show age.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Aquababy
North Babylon, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2008

We stayed at the Ocean Club for a week in January. It was our first time using our timeshare points to trade and we really enjoyed our trip. We stayed in a regular hotel room which was equipped with a small refrigerator and a toaster and microwave. Our room was on the second floor and we had a view of the beach area. It was very convenient to walk out to the beach every day. We ate at the Marriott Hotel restaurant every morning which was a huge buffet but expensive. It cost us $20 each, we should have gotten food in for breakfast as we usually don't eat much for breakfast anyway.

Every morning we went to the towel hut and reserved a palapa (beach shade tree). We swam in the beautiful green water and then took a nap on the beach. The beach had a dropoff as you entered the water that had lots of shells in it so I suggest water shoes. After our naps we would order a drink or lunch from the waiter on the beach. Heaven is laying on a beach and having someone bring you lunch and a froo froo drink.

At 3 pm it was happy hour in the pool bar so we would go swim for a while there and get drinks, (2 for 1 but only the specials of the day which were 2 frozen blended drinks and 2 on the rocks drinks). After our afternoon swim we would go shower up and take a taxi to one of the many fantastic restaurants in the area.

The only real issue we had was the uncomfortable situation when guests from the Surf club would come to the Ocean club pool or beach. The staff would notice their towel colors (each propery has different towel colors) and chase them away. I understood but it was still odd.

All in all, we enjoyed the Ocean club and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — the access to the beach
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple