“Superb”

Carte Blanche Restaurant
Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Carte Blanche is a restaurant for foodies, people who are open minded for an exquisite fine dinning experience, without limitations. Carte Blanche features a 14-seat elegant bar in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The highlight of the restaurant is Chef Dennis van Daatselaar cooking right in front of you a 5-course Carte Blanche dinner known as a “chef surprise”. Alongside him is Maitre d’ Glen Bonset pairing wines and mixing premium drinks
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Phenomenal experience....food and fellow guests were just delightful. , Dennis and Glenn were incredible hosts and provided an impressive array of wines and cuisine. Would certainly come again on a return trip to Aruba

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our night with Dennis and Glen. Food and wine pairings were exceptional and I found myself trying and loving foods I never thought I would have enjoyed. I'm so glad I gave it a chance because the dishes really expanded my pallet as I don't often enjoy seafood. The night was not short on entertainment, Dennis and Glen kept us laughing all night. It was our best dining experience on the island. We loved it and will recommend to anyone visiting Aruba.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am so lucky my husband reserved this dinner for us! Dennis and Glenn are a perfect duo and produced a night we will never forget. The food is amazing and the wine paring both educational and good fun. We chatted with the couples around us and absolutely had one of the best dining experiences possible. Do not hesitate and reserve now!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

You need reservations to eat here, so I called up and was able to be squeezed into the guest list for Saturday. Unfortunately there was a mix up and the opening was on Friday and I missed it. My wife and I were all dressed up and cabbed here in the low-rises from the high-rises. We were not happy. However, Dennis and Glen were just as upset about the mix up as I was so somehow shoe-horned us in for Sunday so we got very lucky. I would just add that we had exchanged emails so I was surprised that no one confirmed reservations with us. It seemed that on Sunday another couple failed to show up who had reservations. Since the entire restaurant only fits about 16 people, this is a major loss of money on their part so I hope they are starting to confirm reservations by phone to the hotels or email.

In short, Dennis is Michelin star trained in classic French cooking so does his thing with some Dutch and Caribbean twists. We had five courses including one appetizer that was a medley of his killer ceviche, braised halibut, and tuna tartare. The "aperitif" of butternut squash bisque was delicious. Then two other appetizer courses. The main dish of New Zealand rack of lamb was some of the best I've ever had. We tried both desserts (one each) and both were fantastic- flourless chocolate cake for my wife was incredible even though I never order chocolate desserts usually and the Dutch style tiramisu evaporated off my plate.

Glen did the wine pairing which tacked on and additional $130 to an already $180 bill. However, his wine pairings were not just good, they were some of the best wines I've ever had. He really goes all out choosing high end wines from the US, France, Chile, and more with big variety from peach cobbler like Moscatel to inky chocolate Cabernets. I was impressed.

Overall, this is one of the best dining experiences you will ever have. It is definitely a splurge type place, but you will learn a lot about making certain dishes and pairing with wines, even discover new styles of wine you didn't know could be so amazing. So it is an educational experience as well.

They definitely deserve a 5-star rating not just for Aruba, but as a world-class restaurant. They just need to figure out how to confirm reservations!

1  Thank ImperialStout
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I had a pleasure of having a wonderful dining experience at CB. Dennis and Glen made a perfect team. They cooked, poured, entertained and made the entire a night an event to remember. They made everyone feel comfortable and relax. Throughout the entire night all of us were laughing and having a really enjoyable dinner.

Dennis prepared us five delicious courses. Glen then served excellent wine pairings with our meal. Our favorite was the ceviche, tuna and halibut appetizer. The tiramisu and the chocolate-chocolate-chocolate desserts along with their excellent wine pairings were a fantastic way to end the night.

Booked ahead and don’t miss this dining adventure.