“Pleasant Oasis”

Papillon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Papillon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Henri Charrière, one of the world’s most famous prisoners, would surely have had the time of his life at Papillon Restaurant in The Village, across from the Radisson Resort. Nicknamed Papillon because of the butterfly tattoo on his chest, he was the first convict to escape from Devil’s Island. Charrière’s thrilling, gripping autobiography has been the concept behind Papillon Restaurant.Papillon Restaurant’s menu reflects the Frenchman’s arduous journey to freedom: classic French dishes have been dusted with daring Caribbean flair and are a culinary journey for your taste buds. The spacious outside terrace is perfect for casual fine dining or one may enjoy the air-conditioned inside dining space.
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This was our first visit to this restaurant. We received a warm welcome which accurately foreshadowed our dining experience. The escargot under puff pastry was outstanding as was the tuna trio. We also enjoyed the sliced duck breast over asparagus. Interesting wine list and also reasonably priced and pleasant wines by liter portions which too few restaurants offer. Finished with a delectable Tarte Tartin Papillon. The appropriate low volume background music added to the experience. There is a need for more restaurants like this one.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

Enjoyed this restaurant... however, the crabcake was NOT made from the advertised "lump" meat.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

We were in Aruba for 5 nights and we ended up coming here twice with our children. The service is amazing particularly Chantal and we had a great time. We went before 7 pm and got the early bird which was enough great food for our family! Can't say enough! Even had a free glass of wine!

Reviewed March 8, 2010

My wife and I just finished dining @ Papillon. We are finishing a two week stay @ Aruba, our third trip in 3 years. We found Papillon since we are staying @ Radisson across the street. We have never dined here nor have we spoke with anyone about this restaurant. Honestly, the only reason we stopped to look was because we wanted to see Coconut Trading Company which was next door.

Anyway, Papillon was offering an early bird special: soup or quiche; grouper or filet; coffee/cake or fruit w/ice cream for a total of $29.95 per person. Oh, each person also get a glass or red or white wine.

Neither my wife nor I are big French food lovers. I think we were more on the "Why Not" attitude. It was the best meal decision we have made on this entire trip.

First, the service was outstanding. From the greeting to seating to the waitress explaining the menu was perfect. Efficient yet suave at the same time. We both quickly made our choices (soup was asparagus w/curry for me, quiche for my wife, grouper for me and filet for my wife). We both had a glass of white wine.

The waitress quickly brought us our wine. Don't know the name but it was very good, semi-sweet with light finish. My soup was out of this world. I am a big fan of soup in general and this was a light, well - spiced but no curry odor, with a very pleasant finish. I personally don't like quiche but my wife did insist I try a small piece. It was good. For her who is a quiche fan, it was in the top three of her list.

My grouper was lightly pan-fried w/o skin and thin sliced. It was on top of bed of white rice and small florette of brocolli and a light, pleasant white sauce. No hint of fishy odor at all. Her filet was great. I am not a beef person but the sauce accompanied the steak was just great.

For dessert, we both had the melon w/ice cream. The melons were diced small, w/ a light slightly sweet sauce w/ a hint of honey. Small drizzle of strawberry sauce float on top and across the ice cream. Honestly, we would have licked the plate if we could without embarrassing ourselves.

The entire meal came to $60 w/o service charge. Well worth the money.

Tips:
Most Aruban restaurants now charge minimum 15% on all dining. The waitstaff will also tell you that this is not their tip. The 15% service charge is to be distributed among all staff, including kitchen.

My wife and I looked through the menu. If we did not have the early bird special, I am not sure if we could have done so well on our own. Some of the menu items were very expensive and if it did not meet your expectation, you might get upset.

In summary, of all the restaurants we have tried in Aruba in our past 3 trips here, this is well in the top 3. The food itself was excellent, the service perfect, and the value spot on.

2  Thank xraymin1
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Food was mediocre and overpriced..Avoid if you can..The food tasted defrosted and was pretty tasteless!