“100% recommendation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“100% recommendation”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

~ BOARDWALK HOTEL ARUBA ~ This place is a TRUE Gem!!
...and I am not an easy travel critic ; )

My Pro's and Cons:

PRO
1.) Boardwalk Hotel Aruba = Location - Can't get better for a deal and soon to be even better!!
Under 1 minute walk to both Marriott and The New Ritz Carlton. So if you want to go to the Casino or dine at a restaurant on the beach - "walk across the street" literally.

PRO
2.) Super clean and organized property and grounds.

PRO
3.) Free internet - Free parking - No, I didn't have to tip everybody I walk by!

PRO
4.) Nespresso Machine in the Lobby - B.Y.O.B. islands can't get all importations - so I brought my own capsules. Note: Available only during Open lobby hours….

CON
5.) Open Lobby Hours…. It's true according to other posts - the lobby hours are limited to daytime and I was surprised they were not there to check me in, upon my arrival in the evening - i.e. find your own room and figure it out, that kinda turned me off - but once you do get to your room there is a welcome letter and other nice welcome treats along with a cell phone number available 24/7 if your need anything - so in the end it didn't matter. They were available if I NEEDED them.

PRO
6.) A full kitchen and BBQ in Casita’s - my sister actually stayed at the Marriott across the street - so we luckily and experienced both worlds - Charming Hotel vs. Big Resort - 2 nights out of five they were at our hotel at the Boardwalk as we cooked BBQ fish on the grill! It was great. The Grocery Store is about 3 miles (by taxi or car) Google “SUPER FOOD” Aruba.

PRO/CON:
The beach - First of all the beaches of Aruba are "off the hook" the first day we floated in the water for 8 hours without boredom - because it's so darn beautiful. Eagle Beach is a must see! Ok back to Boardwalk - they do have beach access at MooMba Beach which is very nice with chairs complimentary and also with a restaurant and bar, although it is a bit of a walk (not tooooo far) BUT it is a walk down the beach/or a drive is easier to MooMba Beach. Although Boardwalk is on the verge of new beach access - across the street - so you will have to book with them/call/email and ask. For Boardwalk it will be very exciting times!!

PRO/CON:
Security – Aruba, in general, according to my stay was safe - BUT there is always a car break in or wallet stolen while vacationing ~ all over the globe. Boardwalk Hotel provides "in room safes" and have 2 security cameras on the parking lot at all times.

Room for improvement here - a security gate with card access to get in and off the property and more cameras. Although again, I had no problem or security issues.

Side note: ARUBA CAR RENTALS -- When I rented a car in Aruba they actually had me sign off – for the cost of what it is to replace stolen parts in advance!!!! Read the fine print.
That to me was suspicious about petty car theft in Aruba. Needless to say, I parked directly under the security camera every night!!

CON: Small pool at the Boardwalk but it is enough to jump in – We did spend some time at Marriott general pool and Marriott’s exclusive pool – but you can hardly compare pools as Marriott room prices are nearly double Boardwalk’s! So considering THE VALUE you receive at Boardwalk their pool is fine.

OVERALL PRO:
Boardwalk has Style and Class - with the small things - i.e décor - and they are not penny pinching with incidentals - complimentary snorkel gear and complimentary iced tea, etc…
these small treats combined with their special décor mattered to me, and made it especially easy and a very nice place to stay.

Overall a two thumbs up on this hotel,
Staff was excellent - real people - both running and working at this hotel.
If I had my choice over the BIG RESORTS or Boardwalk -
I would choose the BOARDWALK HOTEL ARUBA every time.
I am booking my next stay September 2014.
Hope you do too.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique - we stayed upstairs Casita 22 ~ it was perfect for a couple, but call and ask...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
KimberlyRooijakkers, Owner at Boardwalk Hotel Aruba, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Bunnie M,

Thank you for your truly amazing review on Boardwalk Hotel. It is clear to see that you are a passionate travel critic and we love how you honestly point out all the PROS and CONS of Boardwalk. We truly appreciate your feedback, and were very flattered to hear your appreciation for the small details we offer our guests to make their stay at Boardwalk special. We constantly work on making Boardwalk a fantastic, relaxing, beautiful, well designed, safe, enjoyable place to vacation and we already look forward to your next stay with us, September 2014! Many many thanks for sharing your experience at Boardwalk Small Hotel Aruba with your friends, family and entire TripAdvisor community.

Sunny greetings from all of us
Kimberly and Stephanie Rooijakkers
Hotel owners and manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I just want to say that the entire staff at the Boardwalk has made this the best place to stay in all Aruba. If you are looking for a place away from the crowds yet minutes away from the beaches and restaurants the Boardwalk is the place to stay. My wife and I stayed at the Boardwalk for 10 nights and had the most wonderful honeymoon we could have imagined. From our first contact we had with the girls at the Boardwalk when booking our trip till the time we departed from our paradise everything went perfect. The girls are very helpful. The beautiful grounds are maintained and cleaned everyday. The Boardwalk is the only place that we will stay in Aruba from now on. We are already counting the days until we get back for our next trip. Thank you so much to the entire staff at the Boardwalk for truly making our honeymoon a dream come true! We cannot wait to come back to Aruba and the Boardwalk!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KimberlyRooijakkers, Owner at Boardwalk Hotel Aruba, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Rich H,

Congratulations once again on your marriage. Thank you so much for your choosing Boardwalk Small Hotel to celebrate your honeymoon and masha danki (thank you) for your kind words and amazing review! We are so glad that your honeymoon was everything you wished for and that we were able to add to that positive experience! We are super flattered that you chose to stay with us on that very special trip! Your description of Boardwalk is truly flattering and we are glad that we were able to help you plan with you your holiday. It was great getting to know the both of you and we sure hope you will come back to stay with us soon!

Stephanie and Kimberly Rooijakkers
Hotel owners and managers
Kahului, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We´re so happy that we booked the Aruba Boardwalk Hotel and NOT the Riu Palace as we want first because we want to relax in our holiday in a quite and familiar athmosphere and we don´t like hundreds of people around us the whole day and music on the pool, on the beach, on the bar.....

It was perfect!!!

Room Tip: Casita 23 is very nice!!!

1 Thank KMTV
KimberlyRooijakkers, Owner at Boardwalk Hotel Aruba, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear KMTV

Thank you so much reviewing us on TripAdvisor! It means a lot to all of us! Thank you for your flattering words! We are very glad to hear that we did not disappoint and that you enjoyed your holiday with us to the fullest! We surely hope that we will be able to host you on another wonderful holiday in the near future!

Stephanie& Kimberly Rooijakkers
Middletown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Absolutely loved our stay. Stephanie the owner ----the best in keeping us happy. Met some great people in a unique atmosphere. Been there before..will go again. Even if we rent a house on the island with the kids, we'll stop by and see Stephanie. Other guests from around the world-interesting. Easy to communicate- not like the big hotels

1 Thank Larry D
Dear Larry D,

Thank you so much for your kind review! Stephanie was so happy to hear that she was able to help you have a wonderful time on Aruba! It’s so nice that you were able to meet some new people and make lasting memories here with us! We really hope you will be back with us soon!

Sunny greetings from Aruba
Finland
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Me and my friend fell in love with Aruba and Boardwalk year ago (2012) and decided that we would go again. Well we took another trip to Aruba this year and the one and only option for staying was of course Boardwalk. It is so nice and so perfect, it is not just a hotel, it is a home. When you go to Boardwalk, you don't just go to a hotel, you are joining to a family. Boardwalk family. The staff is so great, nice and helpful and they give you good tips where to go, what to see and where to eat! Casitas are gorgeous, renovation made this paradise even more beautiful! We loved our Casita 7, bedroom with two beds, wonderful bathroom and a living-room with kitchen, we made our own breakfast every morning and enjoyed it at our own terrace. Hotel gives you beach towels and you can also borrow cooler boxes and snorkeling gears so that you can really enjoy your day at the beach. Boardwalk is not located at the beach but it really takes like 5 minutes or less to walk to the beach and when you are staying at Boardwalk, there is Moomba beach club at Palm beach that offers you beach chairs for free.
Aruba and Boardwalk has really stolen our hearts so me and my friend are going there next year again! Thank you Kimberly and Stephanie for everything and hope to see you soon!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank Jenniina
Dear Jenniina,

Thank you for sharing such an amazing review! We are flattered! Very glad we were able to welcome you two back with us again! It was a pleasure chatting with you every day and helping you organize your second vacation on Aruba! It is the biggest compliment to hear that you are planning another visit already! You have become part of the big Boardwalk family, and we hope for many more visits in the future!

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great hospitality! We had a wonderful stay at Boardwalk and didn't want to leave. Beautiful new casitas, private patio, own BBQ, big American fridge, perfect shower, very quiet. Just across the Marriott and new Ritz-Carlton. Free Wifi and beautiful garden. This is the place to be when you don't prefer the high rise American hotels and kidsclubs. And ask the staff for unique tips on the island.

Room Tip: Stayed in Casita nr. 5. Was perfect. Ground floor, private patio, one bedroom. Big American fridge.
Dear DenG2011,

Thank you so much for your short and lovely review. It was sad to have you leave, but we couldn’t be happier knowing you had a wonderful vacation on Aruba and that Boardwalk Hotel. Thank you for summarizing all the amenities we offer! We love to share the treasures our island beholds with our guests and are glad you enjoyed our tips! We hope you will be back with us again in the near future!

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at Boardwalk for a couple of days only but had a fantastic time. The girls are friendly and enthusiastic and Alice was very helpful as well - always there to answer questions. I practiced my Spanish with the housekeeping ;-) Everybody is in a good mood here!
If you want to see Aruba in a non touristic way then go for Boardwalk. I was so done with the 'all inclusive' hotels and I think more and more people look for peace and quiet instead of giant buffets and lots of people. At Boardwalk I stayed in my own casita which had a nice terrace with BBQ and hammock. A really modern bathroom - with lovely Aloe Vera products! - and a nicely decorated room (with an splendid view on the 'Salinja' - spelling might be off).
I really enjoyed the fresh lemonade that I found in my fridge upon my arrival and was happy to see that there was a blender, ..... available. Often I feel like I can not really cook, here I was able to make some nice meals!
I was super excited that I was able to walk to the beach! I have stayed in a couple of apartments on Aruba and they are always located further away. This was the first time I could actually take my book, walk for two minutes and be at the beach! Loved it! The famous kite spot is close by and I could go for a run in the morning - to the lighthouse and back ;-)
If you like it small, cozy, modern, peaceful and colorful then stay at Boardwalk. I would highly recommend it the anyone - families, honeymooners, groups of friends or singles!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the first floor and had a really nice view. If I come back I think I would try...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Marie D
Dear MarieD,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Boardwalk Hotel Aruba with friends, family and the entire TripAdvisor community! We are so glad that your weekend’s getaway to Boardwalk Hotel Aruba was a success! Did you know our staff has been with Boardwalk for nearly 20 years! They love what they do and the guests we attract ☺. It is always great to hear that this shows and we will make sure your nice words are passed on to them. We hope you will come back very soon!