“A great pick on Eagle Beach”

Costa Linda Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed April 25, 2009

This is our fourth trip to Aruba and our first to Costa Linda. We will definitely return. We have two kids, ages 5 and 8, and Costa Linda was perfect for us. Great staff, very clean rooms, excellent amenities - pool and gym. I love Eagle Beach because, unlike Palm Beach, you can always get a hut anytime of the day. It is a great resort for families. I would agree with a previous reviewer that the food at the restaurants isn't anything special, but we went to Ling & Sons and bought groceries and just ate in our room for all of our meals except dinners out. We found a great rate on a 2-bedroom through a message board, and it was an excellent value. It's a great hotel and we highly recommend it for families traveling with kids.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank PearlieGirl
There are newer reviews for Costa Linda Beach Resort

Reviewed January 16, 2009

We rented Week 2 at this resort from the owner of the timeshare through www.bestvaluetimeshares.com. I would recommend them. Fifth floor unit, large 2 bedroom condo, wonderful balcony and view. My husband, myself , and 18 and 22 year old daughters. Great pool and hot tubs, beautful beach. Not too crowded, great staff. There are supermarkets very close by and it only takes 5 minutes to get back to town (Orjansted). We hope to come back in another year or 2 and would stay at Costa Linda again.

As far as eating is concerned, walk across the parking lot to Pizza Bobs - great pizza. I also bought fresh bagels at the Dushi bagel stand across from the Casino. We had a very good dinner at Matthews at Casa del Mar resort down the beach (toward town).

As far as eating at Costa Linda itself - Don't. We had Breakfast at Frangipani - waffles and crepes ok, french toast burnt, coffee terrible. Even worse - on second day there I had a turkey burger for lunch at the Turtles Nest. The next day I was at the hospital ER (conveniently located across the street) with a mild case of food poisoning! from undercooked poultry. Fortunately I was able to see a doctor quickly and was well enough to be back on the beach by the next day - but be warned!

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank NY3LG
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This was our third stay at Costa Linda and our second in our own unit. We much prefer the Eagle Beach low rise area compared to the Palm Beach high rise area, and Costa Linda is the best place in the low rise area.

Beach chickees are plentiful and the pool area far surpasses those at the other low rise resorts (though not comparable to some at the high rise resorts). Units in the upper floors (4th and 5th) of the center of the building have wonderful views of both the sea and the pool area.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, as is the rest of the staff. The restaurants are marginal at best, but unlike many other Caribbean destinations Aruba beckons you to leave your resort and try other places.

Despite some reviews to the contrary, we do not find the units outdated by Caribbean standards and in fact they appear more modern than other resorts we have stayed at in Aruba, including Bucuti which is consistently ranked near the top of Aruba resorts. The kitchens are equipped with the essentials for a week long visit and there is plenty of room in the dining area or on the balcony for the whole family to share a meal if you do not feel like going out. The facilities also include an updated gym.

I would definitely recommend Costa Linda to anybody considering a trip to Aruba and needing more than the standard hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank hmelawyer
Reviewed December 22, 2008

We stayed at the CL resort/condo 12/12-12/19 for our 20th anniversary. It was WONDERFUL! We had a 2 bedroom condo, 2 baths, kitchen, dining room, living room. ALL the comforts of home! The balcony was so nice to sit and look at the ocean in the mornings while drinking my coffee and reading a book. There was a quick 5 minute shower almost every morning around 7am and it almost always ended with a beautiful rainbow.
We stayed at palm beach the 10th-12th and I will say we liked eagle beach better. The staff at the CL did a nice job keeping the place clean and were always friendly.

The turtles nest - we ate dinner here the first night......it was ok, but the service was horrible, especially since we were 2 of only about 12 people in the place with 2 - 3 waitresses. We got our bill and it already had the tip included (thus, why the service was bad)...$95 for two filets with potatoes, calamari, and two cokes. We bought 1 drink from the TN while at the pool and it was $9 with tip.....we bought our own at the grocery store (be ready to open your wallet and say bye bye to your cash-especially if you are a U.S. beer drinker aka budweiser & such)

IMPORTANT to know : Subway is right behind the Alahambra casino, just a short walk away. Also - Pizza Bobs right next door for burgers, pizza and such. We ate there twice. Not the best pizza, but not too bad and a large pizza (very thin crust) and 2 cokes ran about $35 with tip. We didn't realize these places were here until about the 3rd day. There is also a dunkin donuts there.

We used a kayak - Frank was so helpful while we were there, he taught us how to play lasso golf, shuffleboard, and how to kayak. You can use a kayak for up to 1 hour per day for free. We only did it once for about 15 minutes - That was a lot of work!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank photoameteur
Reviewed August 11, 2008

After much research, we booked 1 week through our timeshare and rented another week the following week.

ROOMS

The CL is a fantastic place to stay at. The condos are nice, not outdated as many say they are, clean, and have excellent views of the pool and ocean. The first week, we had a 2 BD condo unit. Unfortunately, the only room we could book the second week was a 2 BD lockout from a 3 BD.

**I would NOT recommend a lock-out. especially for 4 people. There was only a small kitchenette with NO room to maneuver or prepare things. It felt crowded and awkward. Quite a step down from a nice 2BD we had the week before. This was the ONLY downside of the trip and not any fault of the resort.

POOL AND BEACH
I wandered to at least 5 resorts on Eagle Beach and I do have to say that the CL has the best beaches and pool area out of all of them. It is laid out well, has a great tropical feel to it, and LOTS of chickie huts that are always easily available. The water was PHENOMENAL!! See my pics.

** The only problem I had with the beach was that so many smokers just ignorantly scatter their disgusting cigarette butts all over the beautiful sand. SMOKERS: PLEASE be courteous and responsible! This make me soooo mad!!

SERVICE
I found the service to be very good and the front desk people to be extremely helpful and accomodating. Everyone would greet you with a smile if you greeted them first and most would greet you first. No problems with cleaning, checking-in or out or other workers at the resort.

TRANSPORTATION
The bus runs right beside the CL with a bus stop right there. It takes you straight downtown and it only cost $2.30 US for a round trip ticket. We did most of our travelling by bus. We rented a car one day and took a taxi cab or two to get groceries, but other than that, we relied on the bus to go downtown and to the Palm Beach area. Very easy to get around in and very convenient.

By recommendation on this forum, we booked Bully for the cab ride from the airport to the hotel. We specifically asked him if he wouldn't mind that we stop for groceries and clothes on the way there. We knew we'd probably be paying for the time but he agreed. We did all of this and he only charged us for the aiport-hotel trip! We found out that our excursion could have cost us $60! We tipped Bully generously for that! We also booked him for the trip back to the airport.

I highly recommend the services of Bully for taxi fare. He's a great guy!

FOOD
We mostly had groceries and didn't eat out much. We did go to Pizza Bobs just outside the resort. We had live music there and the pizza was really good! We ate at the Turtle's Nest Bar and Grill by the pool of CL. The food was good and the drinks were good. Other than that, we really didn't go out to eat.

SHOPPING
The shopping downtown was good but the shop at CL was very expensive (as most of the resort shops are). However, just down the street at the Alhambra Casino shops, you can find good deals. I highly recommend the little shop directly across from the side entrance to the Casino. There prices were even better than downtown Oranjestad. There is also a Subway and Dunkin Donuts there too. (And before you panic at the incredibly high prices in those two restaurants, remember that they are in Aruban Florins and not USD. I nearly had a heart attack before I realized that!)

EXCURSIONS
We didn't go on any excursions, but from our trip to Punta Cana in March, we couldn't believe the cheap prices to do some of the tours in Aruba. What cost $35 in Aruba cost about $85 in PC. The excursions are a GREAT deal in Aruba. We rented a car for a day and went to Baby Beach (highly overrated in my opinion), the natural bridge and the California Lighthouse.

Overall, we loved Aruba and we loved Costa Linda. It was the best resort on Eagle Beach and was just an overall fabulous place to go! We wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
10  Thank guibox
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We were invited by a friend who has a time share in Costa Linda for many years. As I step out of the airport the warm breeze hit my face i knew then that it was going to beginning VACATION. A long awaited one. Costa linda rooms were lovely and accommdating. Full Kitchen with everything you need. For those on a budget the supermarket is a 5min drive from them. Great Pool and beaches breath taking. For those who don't like crowds this is the perfect spot. Very family friendly so if you have little ones its great. You feel safe. The staff was friendly and the island is just wonderful Lots to do. If you arrive early make reservations to go on the Kukoo Kunuku dinner & Paranda Barhopping Tour. Its a great way to start your trip. Great places to eat dinner Rumba Bar & Grill best coconut shrimp you ever had. Another place is Madame Janette's amazing food try the grouper outdoor dining in a romantic setting with live music. Casino every hotel you can go in. Lots of fun. Beaches go to Baby Beach. ARUBA is our favorite spot can't wait to go back.

Nelson & Bennie

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Beneranda R
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Overall, we were thrilled with our choices of resort, and beach during our stay June 13th - June 27th. We rented both our weeks from owners via Vacations Only. Transaction was perfect. Check in was smooth, and our room was available immediately upon arrival. Our unit for our first week (#3033) was spotless. Although, the furniture and décor was somewhat outdated, they were in great shape, and very clean. The two bedroom unit had 2 bathrooms (1 in master with garden tub), and 1 near 2nd bedroom. The master had a built in blow dryer. Hot water was always available. The kitchen was completely functional with refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, blender, and stocked well with dishes, pots, pans, baking utensils, silverware, etc. There were bins for recycling aluminum cans, and glass bottles. We were given 6 towel sets a day, and although it was stated the room would not be cleaned on Sundays, ours was the first Sunday of our visit. Our housekeeper did a fantastic job with that unit; we were so appreciative of her service.

The unit for the second week (#1027) included the above with the addition of a blow dryer in the 2nd bath, but was not up to par to our first room. When we arrived, the light on the lanai did not work, the 2nd bathroom smelled like urine, and we were missing some kitchen towels. In addition, the master shower only produced lukewarm water. We reported the light, and master shower issues to maintenance via voicemail, and to the front desk. Any concerns regarding housekeeping were left on a note along with her 1st tip of the week. She addressed each item I noted. The only issue she couldn’t really get control of was the smell in the 2nd bath. I think tiles may need to be pulled up to correct the problem. She mopped, and cleaned, and used disinfectant, but the smell continued. My husband replaced the light bulb on the lanai from another light in the unit, which was replaced the next day. The lukewarm shower in the master was never addressed, or repaired. The water was hot in the garden tub, and sink so the fix was probably not an easy one. We did not continue to raise complaints about it as we probably should have. We would not rent that specific unit again.

The pool was our favorite of any we saw on Eagle Beach. From both units we had pool and ocean views. The beach was awesome. Initially, the water was calm, but as the 1st week ended, and the 2nd week began, the water became a little rougher, and created different sand shelves. We liked the heavier waves coming in; more fun to play in the ocean. Eagle Beach was much less populated than Palm Beach, and there was virtually no night life. For our purposes, this worked out great. We were able to obtain Chickees anytime of the day. Our beach attendants were very friendly, and assisted us whenever we wanted to claim a Chickee. They carried over the requested chairs, and tightly placed the towels on the chairs to reserve. They even knew which Chickee I began to prefer, and knew how many chairs I wanted each day I visited the beach. They were wonderful, and very deserving of all tips. Even though many people did not offer them any money for their services, they still treated everyone politely, and always with a smile! The day shift security guard was also very friendly, and knowledgeable. He made it a point to greet everyone, and become acquainted with the guests. We felt very safe in our resort.

The Turtle’s Nest at the Resort had 3 Happy Hours during the day (12 -1, 4-6, and I believe 9-10). I never made it to the late night Happy Hour so I’m not sure it the time is accurate. Although I am typically not a drinker (1 drink in the last 12 months), I became quite fond of their Miami Vice’s. The kids liked the virgin Miami Vice’s and the non alcoholic Banana Daiquiris. The bartender did not skimp on the alcohol for our drinks.

The workout facility had enough equipment to put together an adequate workout. The machines and weigh equipment were all Cybex, and in excellent condition. A personal trainer was available, at no cost, to assist the guests, and offer advice.

There are many more things I could say about the Resort, and the beach, but my trip report is already too long. We were pleased overall, and if we ever decide to purchase another timeshare, it will be at the Costa Linda in Aruba.

6  Thank dmconn1