“No provision for the handicapped” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba All Inclusive Resort

Occidental Grand Aruba All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
“No provision for the handicapped”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

On the whole we loved the Occidental but and this is a very large BUT, my wife came out of the first bathroom on the first day crying. She could not get off the toilet because there were no grab bars in the whole of the hotel and she had to get on her knees hurting herself and crawling to somewhere where she could pull herself erect. For us in our seventies this was a very bad point. and we would never go there again. The food was reasonable to excellent. Folks complained on the strength of the drinks. I found them weak in the pool bar but very good in the lobby bar, we tipped the bar staff every drink. We are trying the RIU next year if I can be assured that THEY have grab bars.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank plinkers41729

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We travel to the Caribbean once or twice a year and have been doing so for 15 years. I always read the reviews on this site and usually come away scratching my head. That is the case this time. Prior to going to the Occidental some of the reviews were downright frightening but I have friends who go there every year and put my faith in their opinions.
There is nothing wrong with this resort. The beach and ocean are the best, great sandy beach and clean calm water. The resort provides rafts to float on and it's great to walk in either direction. Sure the prime chairs are spoken for at an early hour each day. Have you ever been to a resort where this doesn't happen? Set your alarm and go put your towels on some chairs and go back to bed. It baffles me how many people stroll down to he beach at 10 or 11 am and expect to find chairs.
The food is actually quite good. Remember you are at an all-inclusive so the main restaurant is a buffet. It is a smaller buffet with good variety. If you have high expectations and taste buds spend twice as much and don't book an all-inclusive. This buffet is one of the better ones. The specialty restaurants were excellent. We ate at the Italian, Caribbean and Mexican and had great meals at them all.
Some reviews complained about the staff not being helpful and friendly. No clue what these folks are talking about. Every single issue or question we had was taken care with no problems. They complained about the bartenders as well. My question is do you people ever tip? A buck or two goes a long way. I can't believe that some of these people went to the same resort we did.
If you don't gamble you may be bored at night. The entertainment is not the greatest but you could always go to bed early so you can get up early to reserve yourself a beach chair!

Room Tip: Only sleep and shower in the room so I really don't care as long as it's clean. It's Aru...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank zingerstan1030
Jamesburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

there is not enough space to say it all , would Mr. Steve Marra send me an e-mail address so I could go into details regarding the staff.Not enough can be said about the dining room staff or the hotel service manager in this space available. I would like to mention them individually and tell you just how great they make your stay. We have been coming to the hotel since it was named the Americana.

Room Tip: need updated sleeper beds
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Smyrna, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I surprised my fiance with an all inclusive weekend trip to Aruba!!! He is still in shock! I had no idea that the resort would be so busy so all of the signature restaurants reservations are limited for the day you may want. Paola Garcia was exceptional in helping me plan our stay. She was able to get us reservations at the Habachi restaurant AND the Carribean signature restaurant. When I first arrived I was told by another guest service rep that the only availability was al'carte, which is not at the Habachi table and a different menu.....she really worked her magic! The food was great and the experience was awesome. We both absolutely enjoyed our stay. We will be returning!!!!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The service was above average but the cost of the all inclusive was excessive. We would stay there again in the future only if we were not required to have the all inclusive ($155 pp/per day) that is $2170 for the week. The Palapas on the beach were available if you wanted to get up at 6AM and put your towel on one. If you wanted a poolside lounge you could sleep in until 6:30 or 7:00. The breakfast was above average, as was the O'lio and Zen restaurants. We skipped the Mexican, but had a good meal at the Caribbean. The Casino was terrible, dealers were not friendly at all, and at some times rude. The room service and maid service was outstanding as was the First Club Lounge on the second floor. It was nice to have complimentary internet and not have to pay the wifi charges of $20 per day. The pool bar was a little rowdy at times and the beach bar didn't have the wait the pool bar did. I didn't like the way they overbooked and had to move guests to neighboring hotels and then require them to walk to the Occidental for their food/drink and activities. The support personnel was very pleasant as was the Customer Relations Staff. I think if the resort wasn't so crowded the experience would have been much better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Where shall I start......from the day we booked our honeymoon I continued weekly to check TripAdvisor for details. So many mixed reviews. We booked an oceanfront room with an amazing view and got it along with a king size bed that was wonderful. There were others at the desk when we were checking in complaining about their room not having the view or the bed size they requested. Once we were in the room....oh my gosh...gorgeous! The halls were clean, the smell of cleaning solutions were the aroma, but I didn't mind that. My husband and I do not have any complaints to review about. Food was good, we went off the resort a couple nights to Wacky Wahoos and El Gauchos......Wonderful!!!! Pool was fun with young married couples, beach was fun and relaxing with mixed ages. One night we did a sunset cruise that would take your breath away. We hated to leave but our everyday life called us home to work and to plan our next trip! So I leave my review with a 10 out of 10 for a honeymoon :)

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa T
wirral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

we stayed here 14th to 28th of September and i promise you you wont say wow when you walk in this hotel. you will feel let down when you see the room. it looks ok at first then you notice it never gets cleaned properly and the bathroom is full of mould around the bath/shower and even down the walls. the bedroom area even has it all over the lamp shades. you could right your name in the dust around the base of the toilet..if you get to the buffet restaurant at the wrong time you could be standing in a line waiting for a table for 20 to 30 minuets because its not big enough for the amount of guests. the same applies to the sun loungers if you don't reserve one by 7.30 you wont get one with cover. by 8.30 they are all gone. we came back to our room several times to have had no towels left and it took hours to resolve. i think front desk staff are that fed up with the amount of complaints they get they dont do anything until you ash three or four times. the bar and restaurant staff work very hard trying to cope with the amount of guests in the limited facility's they work in and deserve a pat on the back for trying.. this hotel is not what it says in the brochure and needs a serious upgrade. you pay a lot of money and expect the wow factor you dont get it here. dont waste your money and you wont feel your travel company have misled you..

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank dece
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba All Inclusive Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear dece,
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We take all feedback to heart, as it only helps us to improve.
In regards to the rooms, we have strict standards for our housekeeping team to follow in order to ensure all rooms are cleaned thoroughly and are in perfect condition. All rooms are cleaned daily and any dirty towels are replenished with new ones immediately. I’ve reviewed your experience with our housekeeping manager, as this is certainly not the norm for us. I also shared your feedback about the rooms overall with our general manager to consider for future plans.
The satisfaction of our guests is top priority, and it appears that our team did not go above and beyond for you during your visit. Your issues with our front desk, and wait times at our buffet and for the pool chairs are unacceptable. I’ve discussed your comments with our managers to ensure we’re being efficient and accommodating our guests as quickly as possible.
Sincerely.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#8 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 5,161 reviews
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#16 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 5,325 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 2,426 reviews
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 2,743 reviews

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba All Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!