“OUT OF THIS WORLD AND EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Plymouth,
“OUT OF THIS WORLD AND EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We were originally due to go to Mexico but due to the swine flu we were advised not to go by the Foreign Office. When the travel agent tried to find another holiday she said ARUBA - we never had a clue where that was but after quick discussion decided to try it.

Hotel - Excellent - very beautiful grounds, swimming pools, position right on the beach.

Rooms: Excellent, we had two suites next door to each other and had excellent views of the swimming pool and turn to our left and excellent view of the beach and carribean sea.

Staff - Excellent - Nothing too much trouble. Very helpful

Food - Excellent - this is usually something people always find something to moan about but I would say there was something wrong with the people, not the hotel. The choice was the best I have had in an all inclusive hotel. You name it, they probably had it. Actually it made it hard what to chose!! The food was always of a high quality as well.

Restaurants: Grill Restaurant, Japanese Restaurant, Mediteranian, Italian Restaurant who have two sittings 6pm or 9pm We were allowed to book as many times as you like in these restaurants, however, you would need to book between certain times but generally we did not have a problem in getting one we wanted to dine in that evening. As this hotel has lots of guests from the USA, they generally like to dine at 6pm so we believe that is why we found it so easy to get tables at 9pm. These are excellent and beyond expectation as well. You just could not fault any of the food.

Drink: Large choice. Optics in the room. Full size fridge with beer, lemonade, cola and water and whatever you used, was always stocked up again the next day. No limit.

If you were sitting around the pool you did not have to move, a waiter would come and ask if you would like a drink and they would bring it to you.

Champagne was also part of the all inclusive. No limit and no extra cost.

Entertainment: There is a casino in the hotel. In house entertainment varies. Not spectacular but entertaining.

Aruba: Small beautiful island. We spent most of the day by the pool, in the pool or on the beach and can safetly say we found this to be a holiday to chill and relax. Very romantic

Weather: Superb. When I checked long range weather forcast before leaving for the holiday it seemed to be indicating cloudy, rain and sun. Well I realised what it meant. Some days cloud would come across but it was still boiling hot but the clouds actually gave relief from the very hot sun. In the two weeks it never rained. It does get breezy on the beach but again, it cooled you down but beware you will need to start of with a high sun block or you will burn. If you do get burnt buy some of the aloe vera being sold on the beach. It soothes the burns rapidly.

WOULD I GO BACK - YES - ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT ANYTHING - NO
I WILL CERTAINLY RECOMMEND RIU HOTELS

3 Thank halfpintplymouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Staffordshire
Reviewed June 6, 2009

As with all the other May 09 reviews on here we had a great holiday. If this is your first time at a Riu hotel you may really think it great, but it’s not really up to the normal standard of a Riu "PALACE" hotel, its more Riu club class. Having said that we have stayed in some great Riu club hotels and overall I would recommend the hotel. Food, drink, cleanliness, bar service and rooms where great. Service a little slow in the restaurants. If you want to lie around the pool you need to have you towels on the beds for 7.00am latest to get any shade and if you want to have shade on the beach you need have your towels down by 7.15am. The signs saying you can not reserve the beds are totally ignored by guests (Including me by day 2) and staff. If you looking for evening entertainment forget it. Utter rubbish, luckily we weren't. The hotel offers no beach front water sports of it own (Kayaks, catamarans, snorkelling gear etc ) so everything has to be rented at quite a price. If you fancy a boat trip from the beach and you’re travelling with first choice / Thomson do not tell the people organising the boat trips on palm island pier. They have an agreement with them so you have to book through the rep for “HEALTH AND SAFETY” reasons. Just means you have to pay more, you get nothing different. Best trip we had was the 3.00pm – 6.00pm snorkelling trip on the boat “MI DUSHI” for 35 US Dollars. Barbeque and all inclusive international bar was great. Highly recommended.

Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We had an issue with the noise at night, and brought it up to attention of manager.That was young, nice looking, very polite lady with name Loreine( I hope I didn't misspell). The outcome of conversation was very satisfactory. Right person at right place. Very grateful for her dessision. Vacation was a blast. Definetly will come back again, more likely with friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
theSchmooze
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We just returned from a most remarkable holiday at the RIU Palace Hotel in Aruba. Your organization's commitment to customer care and satisfaction was second to none.

We were also most impressed with the organization of your casino which I understand is run and managed by Cool Casinos. The staff was extremely courteous and accomodating contributing to a really super holiday.

I understand that your chain will be opening a resort in Costa Rica sometime in the near future. I hope that RIU will also have a casino under the management of Cool Casinos. In the event will, we would have no hesitation in going there for my next holiday.

Once again, thanks for making our holiday a most memorable experience.

Regards

Darren and Amy

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
North America
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at the Riu Palace in April and had a fabulous time. The beach was fantastic, the water was crystal clear and the sand was powder white. The restaurants were great. Our favourite was the steakhouse. The staff was always so friendly and helpful and would go out of their way to get you something. We booked a garden view room and was given a full ocean view room upgrade for no charge upon arrival. The pool was very large and the water was warm. We saw the review by some guests who criticized the hotel, but we were also guests of the hotel at the same time when the table incident occurred. The complaining guests were obviously intoxicated when the incident occurred. Another guest saw them sitting on the glass table in the lobby to take a picture and when the front desk saw they tried to send a message to tell them to get of the table. By then it was to late. The table fell and the glass was shattered. The beautiful vase of flowers also fell. We were there to see the paramedics and police come to the hotel. In my opinion, the hotel should not be held responsible for this incident as adults should know not to sit on glass tables. Our stay at the hotel was a memorable one and we look forward to another trip.

• Stayed April 2009
NJ
Reviewed June 3, 2009

My new husband and I had our honeymoon booked at the Riu - I highly recommend this hotel for couples....children ok, but very small children AND SUPERVISED - our room had a jacuzzi in the main bedroom and a jacuzzi on the private balcony - always clean....I have to say the service overall was EXCELLENT - I've never seen so many happy, smiling people willing to serve you. If you have come here and had a bad experience? I truly question whether you can relax or not - nothing is perfect but this came close. If you stay here you must find FREDDY at the pool bar - such a fun person, always willing to accommodate you - food was very good - wouldn't say fabulous but we paid for all-inclusive so we wanted to stay on the premises and were pleased....disappointed we didn't see any iguanas like advertised but what can ya do - didn't see any insects which I found amazing....you usually see some - the weather was just gorgeous - we were there from May 28-June 1 - 90's with a constant breeze - the breeze is soooo strong and if you're not ready for it - can surprise you - sand everywhere BUT YOU'RE AT THE BEACH SO EXPECT IT....take these reviews you read with a grain of salt - I'd be happy to answer any question you have - I have a part-time business myself and customer service is a pet peeve of mine - I GIVE THIS HOTEL AND IT'S PEOPLE AN OVERALL 10 - which is excellent in my book....it's an honest island - they're not out to rip you off like some - they're pleasant to deal with - but don't try bartering at the fleamarket - just give them the price they're asking (unless you feel it's out of hand)....they're trying to make a buck - if we have a recession in the US - it hurts them badly - and if you feel like tipping - DO IT - just because it's included - some hotel people bend over backwards to make you feel special - and we felt special alright......special thank you to FREDDY, Ana Victoria, and "as I called him" SMILEY - the young guy at the front desk ALWAYS SMILING....I'm sorry I don't have his name - seriously folks - YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS HOTEL - there was nothing we could have wanted - don't have such high expectations - we were pleasantly surprised - and please LEARN HOW TO RELAX

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kattpatt
Toronto
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Loved it..First of all the hotel is amazing, should might as well be a palace for sure.
First day upon our arrival, check it was a breeze..speedy fast, our rooms were ready and gorgeous. Very clean. (Despite the moldy smell by the elevators, but you get over this quick) Food: Breakfast: was amazing, everything you could ever ask for, cereal, eggs made in every way, fruit, it was sooo good. Lunch: Personally was not my favourite, but there is a little bit of everything for everyone. and NACHOS: Trust me you will eat them.
We had only had the buffet dinner the first night. It was good from what i remember. We made reservations for all of the al la carte's. STEAK HOUSE. I REPEAT STEAK HOUSE AMAZING. There is a Japanese, a Gourmet and an Itlaian as well all were ok. Reservations to be made between 9-5. Not a big deal really it only takes a few moments.
Room Service; Was Fast, they tell you 1/2 hour but they come fast. We got our beds made every afternoon at 12 with amaxing towel characters, swans, hearts elephants, it was cute, bottle service every day, and the most amazing part of all maids always came to turn down your beds with mints and fresh towels. (if you were not in your room that is) The Wind: Honestly, if this wind did not constantly blow you would die of heat stroke. It was beautiful, the only down fall was at the beach, on a really windy day o my the sand hurts, but honestly just the view of the water makes all those bad feelings go away,better yet just go in the water was amazing.
Entertainment; They have shows every night, wasn't my thing really but if you like kareoke and people putting fire in their mouth go for it. No Disco on the resort, but i had gone to Senhor Frogs and i thought it was good. The girls i had gone with went to Confessions and they said it was also amazing great music. I most definetly reccomend that you do excursions: We had gone on TATTOO. ARUBA'S #1 PARTY BOAT. A great time, cute crew members, great music, food and drinks, best part was to watch the sun set on the water you also get to jump off the boat before the boat takes you to the peir. I also reccomend that you do a tour of the island, it was great to see the island. And we also went on an underwater seaworld thingy to see fishies and a sunnken boat from World War 2. If you get boat sick this is not recommended at all. i heard that snorkelling was amazing but i did not try it. Drinks: ARE STRONG PEOPLE. They make sure your getting drunk. And i'm not a light weight. They take good care of you. Recommended Bar Tender: JUDE! he is hilarious and makes his drinks just perfect. This hotel was great, everything about it was great, but just a few more words of advice, if your party people this resort is not for you, if your honeymooners and just want to be lazy by the water go for it. But regardless it is beautiful and you must see Aruba at least once in your life. And the wind is not a bad thing, if you go in May, the wind is perfect, June, July, August, September is hot hot hot, no wind, if your going any time after or before that it is windy. so ofcourse your going to complain and give a crappy review. So Choose wisely and the beds as everyone's been talking about. They are not as hard as people make them out to be. I slept like a baby!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#20 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!