“Just Go! Ignore bad reviews! Our 2nd time there...”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed April 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I (both 24 years old) returned the Riu Aruba for a second time. We had a fantastic trip! The hotel is more than accomodating any needs! We arrived and I asked for a room uupgrade if they had it, and they did. We had to wait an hour, but we had lunch, ect.

Pool/beach- pool is awesome! the hotel was at 90% occupancy and we had no problem getting chairs by the pool at any time. Swim up bar rocks. Bartenders are very nice and will make you whatever you want. There's white sand and blue water that is a liittle murky but who cares.

food- buffet is good but does get tiring. They have 5 restaurants to choose from. Steakhouse is great! There is food 24/7. Room service is quick and good.

Service/staff- EXCELLENT! If you are nice to them, they are nice to you. Simple as that. If you want or need something, just ask... nicely and they will accommodate you.

Rooms- Yes the beds are hard, but have some drinks, fill your belly and you'll pass out on the bed. The rooms are comfortable and big. The maid keep it immaculate.

Cleanliness- So clean and shiny its disgusting.

Nightlife- Aruba isn't exactly a partying hotspot. The hotel has entertainment every night. Shows to keep you busy for a few hours. But comes midnight, unless you are at the casino or the 24 hour sports bar, its pretty quiet. We went on the kukoo kunuku party bus. Awesome time! If you like to drink and have a good time definitely do it!

Finally- we had no thefts in our room, nor heard about any thefts. So ignore the bad reviews and do yourself a favor and experience this hotel. If you are hard to please and expect everything to be perfect, don't go and good luck finding someplace like that. It is not a 5 star hotel like the ritz or anything like that. It is a 5 star for an ALL INCLUSIVE hotel. Hope this review helps!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank annmengland

Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Riu palace in Aruba for our honeymoon. It was absolutely beautiful! Our room was on the 10th floor and faced the ocean. We had a hot tub on the balcony and the room itself was one of the most beautiful hotel rooms I have ever seen! The flooring is all marble and the decor is amazing. The hotel staff was always helpful and pleasant to us. The restaurants were pretty good; Sayuri, the japanese restaurant, was our favorite! If you like sushi and other japanese type foods then you will love this place! The steak house, Nautilus, is good too! I wouldn't recommend the italian restaurant, milano, however. Fusion, was the fusion restaurant, and that was good but just different, so if you are picky you probably won't like it. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful; bright colored flowers, palm trees, cactus, and other amazing plant life. The pool is gorgeous and well mantained. The beach has only a small amount of umbrellas to sit under, so you have to get there for early in the morning to reserve your spot. We had a very romantic and relaxing honeymoon and we are so glad we chose riu to stay at! Overall, GREAT experience!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marchbride28
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I just got back last night from a week's stay at the RIU Palace in Aruba. It was recommended to us from my sister who has been to the RIU resort in the Dominican Republic and she and her husband loved it. We had a wonderful time! Before we left, I had read reviews on this website about it and was a little nervous because some of the reviews weren't all that pleasant, but I have to say, we never had the first minute's trouble.

We got there on Monday, April 13th and checked into the resort. There were several people ahead of us in line, and I believe 3 staff members at the front desk. While we were standing in line, a hotel server, brought us a wonderful mixed drink in champagne flutes to enjoy while we waited. The wait time to check in was about 10 minutes and the checking in was very quick and painless. The front desk clerk that we dealt with was very friendly and gave us a map of the resort and circled on it where the restaurants and bars were and wrote down the times they were open. We then went up to our room and the "bell hop" brought our suitcases up to our rooms for us. It took them about 10 minutes to do so, but it was ok, because we were busy "exploring" our room anyway.

We stayed in room 406, which was plenty big enough for the two of us. There was a small entry way or "foyer" as soon as we walked in the door and a LARGE closet with sliding doors and hangers on the right side wall when you walk in. The safe was also in the closet and the front desk staff HIGHLY recommended that you use it for your valuables. We took their advice and used it the entire time. We had no difficulties getting in and out of it and unlike someone else's review on this website, we had not ONE problem with the hotel staff stealing our things. (This was a concern for me before I arrived. In fact, I didn't bring my engagement ring or wedding band because of this, just a fake stand-in replacement. I recommend this to the ladies in case their ring(s) is/are not insured yet, as my wedding band wasn't because we had just gotten married two days before.) There was a "mini bar" in the room that had a small fridge (stocked with large bottles of water, club soda, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, 7 UP and a local Aruban beer called Balashi). You'll find this beer all over the island and unless you leave the resort and head out to a bar or restaurant off the resort, you won't find many other selections of beer. I think they had Heiniken and Amstel Light also, but not in your room. Your mini bar fridge is stocked daily and if you wanted more of something than they normally stock, all you have to is ask and they'll pleasantly bring you whatever you ask for. Also, there is a dispenser rack of different liquors (that were all "bottom shelf" liquors, that we didn't partake in). Our room had a sunken living area and was all marble and tile with a loveseat sized couch and a table. Then, you walked up two steps and you're on the bed level. We had what the front desk staff called a "true king" sized bed, which was a beautiful four poster with large headboard and two side tables on either side. One of my VERY few complaints was the comfort of the bed. It was VERY hard and not very "springy". I have decribed it to my family as sleeping on a board. If you like EXTREMELY firm beds, then this is the bed for you. It had a "cushion" layer, that didn't help at all and my back didn't like it one bit. The bathroom was right off the bed level and it also had marble tiles. It was large and comfortable with two sinks and a whirlpool tub and shower combination. We never used the whirlpool part, but the shower had a hand held shower head for your "hard to reach places", but you could hang it up so as to free both hands. It had great water pressure and lots of hot water. There was one concern about the installation of the tub for us. At the back of the tub (away from the faucet) if you stepped just right, it made a cracking sound and sort of "dipped down" under the weight of your body. We got used to this, but it was a bit scary at first and caught you off guard. There was not an exhaust fan in the bathroom (which my husband and I use at home, so smells tended to linger if you understand what I mean. The bathroom door at the top was a solid piece of wood and at the bottom was "vented" sort of like a shutter, which allowed any sounds from the bathroom to carry out into the bedroom, so my husband and I would turn on the television to drown out the sounds. I hate to sound "graphic", but I wanted to give everyone a total review. The television was a standard 27" and had all the channels you could possibly want and/or need. There were also televisions (that they're happy to change the channel to whatever you wish to watch) at the 24 hour sports bar downstairs behind the front lobby.

We were told to bring a marriage license to verify that we were indeed married and were there on our honeymoon so we could receive our "special gift", but upon check-in I was told that they didn't need it, but "thank you for bringing it". I'm not sure if that's the norm, so I'd still recommend that you bring a copy anyway. We didn't receive our "gift" until the second day we were there and I called down to the front desk that first day to inquire about it. They said that it's not usually received until the second day because of "room changes" and such, but when we got back to our room the second day after "pool sitting", it was there on the table. It was a small split of champagne with two champagne flutes and a nice hand written note telling us "congraulations" on our recent marriage. Nice and thoughtful, I thought.

The view from our room and balcony was AMAZING!! We had a larger balcony than most, and we enjoyed that a lot. (I would specify that you'd like a large balcony if you plan on sitting out there for extended periods of time...well worth any extra money!) The balcony had two plastic (adustable back) chairs and a small plastic table. We didn't need anything more than this. There was also a plastic towel rack that was mounted on the wall on the balcony to hang up wet towels or bathing suits. They ask that you don't hang them over the railing because there is a STEADY 20-30 mph wind at ALL times that WILL blow your articles off the rail.

The pool was BEAUTIFUL!!! It was huge and had PLENTY of room for everyone!!! There were marble and tile tables in the pool with tiled seats to sit on if you're enjoying a drink from the swim-up bar. The water was a little chilly upon entering the pool, but you adjust very quickly and it's refreshing. The bar staff was always fast and efficient upon getting your drink order and making a great drink for you. (My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the margaritas, a drink called a Miami Vice, which is half strawberry daquiri and half pina colada mixed together and a drink called "Aruba Arriba"...not sure if I spelled that right.) At the front desk when you check in, they'll give you your room keys and they'll also give you a towel card (1 per person) that you'll take down to the pool with you each day you go. There is a small "hut" in the far right corner of the pool that you get your towels from. They'll give you 1 towel per card, and you can exchange the towel later or turn them in. When you turn them in, you let the staff member in the hut know, and they'll give you your card back. The cost of the loss of a towel or card is $20, just as an FYI. Also, there are large umbrellas around the pool at several of the lounge chairs. They'll look broken (without a pin to hold them open), but you just go to the towel hut and ask them for a pin and they'll give you one. There are LOTS of lounge chairs around the pool and they ask people not to "reserve them", but people I noticed did anyway. The pool chairs start filling up early in the morning, so you'll need to get up relatively early. The beach also has lounge chairs that you can use and there are little thatched roof umbrellas with a built-in table attached to it for your drinks or lotions. My husband and I didn't stay on the beach for long because the winds whipped sand all over you and you feel like you're being "sand blasted" is the only way I can describe it. We took strolls on the beach at night, which was very pleasant. There is a server that will walk around the pool periodically and get your drink order and bring them to you, but we found better success at getting drinks if we went to the bar in the pool, as there were only 2 servers to a whole pool full of people. The pool opens at 8:00 am and closes at 7:00 pm. The huts on the beach go VERY fast and early.

There were 5 bars, 5 restaurants and a casino at the resort. There is a small gift shop in the lobby next to the casino and a sundries shop located out at the pool. One of the restaurants is the buffet, called the "Don Nicholas". There is indoor and outdoor seating available for that restaurant. They have breakfast, lunch and dinner. My husband and I agreed that the food was better than "ok", but not "fabulous". It was totally edible though and the buffets had LOTS to choose from. There is an Italian, a French, a Japanese and a steak restaurant at the resort that only serve dinner and you have to make a reservation for. They only allow you to make a reservation for that day and you can only make your reservations between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm at the customer service desk located in the lobby. There are two dinner sittings available at each restaurant each day. It's at either 6:30 pm or 9:00 pm. My husband and I are accustomed to eating late, so we chose the 9:00 pm sittings mostly. The 6:30 pm sittings go very quickly, so if you like an "early" dinner, you'll need to be in the lobby as close to 9:00 am as possible so as to reserve your table. You have to make your reservation in person. My husband and I agreed that the Italian restaurant ("Milano") was our least favorite. The Japanese restaurant ("Sayuri") was good. They gave us fresh sushi before the meal that was really good. I wasn't a fan of the soup that I ordered as a starter, because it tasted very fishy to me. Our favorites were the French restaurant ("Krystal") and the steak restaurant ("Nautilus"). They give you 2-3 choices on the menu for an appetizer, entree and dessert. We ordered a room service breakfast on the last day before checking out. They serve a Continental breakfast only, and it was "ok". We chose for it to be delivered between 7:30 am and 8:00 am, and they brought it at 7:33 am, so very "on time".

My husband and I went on a "Happy Hour" snorkeling trip that left a small pier located on the beach by the resort. There were 3 times to choose from. A morning, afternoon and evening excursion. We chose the afternoon that left at 2:00 pm and returned at 5:00 pm. They had an open bar, sandwiches and fresh fruit slices on board and supplied all of the snorkel equipment. The price was $55/person and well worth it to us. It was on a large catamaran and stopped at two different sites. The first stop was about 10 ft of water and had lots of beautiful fish. We had an underwater casing for our small digital camera and we took lots of pictures. I recommend that you do the same. The second stop was over a shipwreck of a WWII German cargo ship called the "Antilla". We expected not to be able to see much, but it was very close to the surface and we got some good pictures of it too. The water was pretty "choppy" and a little hard to swim in, but the company supplies a life vest that you have to use and I was very glad to have had it even though I'm a pretty strong swimmer.

The second excursion was a Jeep ride to the oppostie side of the island. We rented the Jeep in the hotel lobby (I believe is was $85 for a 24 hour period). Well worth it! We went to the Aruban National Park, which is complete desert conditions with cacti growing. Do not try to go swimming in the ocean on that side of the island because the current is severe. They have free-range goats and donkeys that graze in the park and that leave you alone. They have a couple of caves in the park that you can explore. That was pretty neat. The "roads" in the park, I will say are dirt, gravel, and sand and EXTREMELY bumpy, so be warned. We also took a cab into town and went to the Renaissance Mall, which has lots of shops. The cab fare was $11 each way.

Overall, our trip was everything we thought it would be and more! I highly recommend this resort to anyone. Lots of couples and families were there. There were nightly entertainment shows and kids activities available. This is the place for you if you want to relax and get away!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kv_8098
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Just returned home from a vacation at the RIU.I had read some bad reviews on this site but booked anyway.I'm glad I did.
The staff at the RIU was the best in the area.This was the one place that we were made to feel like they actually wanted to help you instead of it "Just being a job".Always greeted with a smile and a hello.This was however limited to the confines of the resort.Outside it sure cant be described as "One happy island" like the slogan states.It is typical of any other tourist area.There are the nasties everywhere like other places.No different.
As for the RIU the beds were some of the worse I have seen,although clean.The staff called and asked if all was good and I mentioned the hard beds.They sent maid staff to the room and added a matress pad that helped a bit,but still wasn't comfortable.
The elevator was down one day but it wasn't much of a problem.The food is good and the drinks are well made in most of the bars onsite.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a vacation to this resort.
However if you are looking for the beach,go somewhere else other than Aruba.Yeah the water is turquoise blue and calm as a bath tub,but there are better to be found.How anyone can actually place the Aruba beach's among the top in the world amazes me.The sand is as course as concrete sand,narrow,and fairly boreing.The wind whips the heck out of you,although I was told it "Usually isn't that strong".In the resort area's there isn't snorkeling so to speak.The beach is roped off to keep the boats away from the 60 foot swimmers area.There were a few times that it seemed that disaster was imminent because the boats would run full throttle right up to the ropes,then quickly turn toward the beach bar located down the beach a bit.It got old real quick.
If you must go to Aruba,the RIU is a great place.
If your looking for a great beach,try the Rivera Maya.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sandhog
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed at the RUI last year, and really enjoyed our stay. Cant really complain about anything at all. Was an excellent stay, and really enjoyed all the surroundings.

Only one thing was, sometime felt there should have been security near bar - couple of yobs who were drunk from liverpool were trying to wind up people - clearly drunk the barman should have refused them! unfortunately you get them! I just wish the CA dude hammered him!

other than that great holiday -

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank damhot
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu for our anniversary. We met several other guests who were there for romantic vacations or honeymoons. There didn't seem to be too many families there. The hotel itself is beautiful, especially the pool area. All of our interactions with hotel staff were very professional and courteous. We checked in on a Wednesday, so there was no drink "welcome", but when we checked out on Sunday they were offering drinks to people standing in line (likely because more people were arriving on the weekends than midweek.) I thought that was a very nice touch.
We stayed in a large room that had a view of the pool and the ocean behind it. Only problem with the room was that it permanently smelled of smoke. We had requested a non-smoking room, and I'm not sure if they put us in a smoking room (no ashtrays anywhere, however) or if the smell came through the air vents. After awhile i could ignore the smell, but if we left the room and came back you could definitely smell it - and the smell permeated our suitcases and clothes. We asked to be moved but they said they were booked. Unfortunately, the bed was very hard and the pillows not the best, but it wasn't the worst hotel bed i've ever slept on. Be careful with the floors - when the room was humid the floors could also be very slippery. But the fridge was always replenished with bottled water every day and having alcohol provided in the room was nice. The room was huge, more space than we needed, and the bathroom was also very clean and spacious. It also included a drying rack for our suits, very convenient.
The food is not anything to write home about. All-inclusive is definitely very convenient, and we mostly stayed at the hotel to eat because it was paid for, but it wasn't any better than any other cafeteria food i've ever had. The exception to this was Krystal - we loved the food and the ambiance. We also tried the Milano, it was only ok. Make sure to get up early if you want reservations - the line stretches across the entire lobby. The buffets were nice because they always had a selection and you didn't need reservations, but again, the food is only ok. Room service had limited options but was nice if we wanted a little snack.
We loved the pool with the swim up bar. Drinks were fruity and refreshing, although a little light in actual alcohol. It can be difficult to find a chair, so get up early if you want a place to lie out. But the pool is beautiful and the reclining chairs built into the pool are a nice touch. They had water aerobics in the morning and it was actually pretty funny to watch.
Casino is small, but a fun diversion if you need a break from the beach. The lounge area right by the lobby is also a nice place to grab a drink. One night we went down there and they were having karaoke night, which was also cute. Spa was very nice and relaxing, although the spa jacuzzi was broken while we were there. We never spent any time in the sports bar, except to grab nachos or a sandwich, but there were usually a fair number of people in there.
We decided to stay at this hotel because we got an amazing deal from the hotel's website that combined airfare and the room. Check their site before booking through any other discount websites - we managed to save over $500 over expedia and orbitz by going directly through the hotel. I wouldn't consider the hotel luxury by any means but it was certainly very nice, and I would stay again if i could again get a good deal.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelbugmj9
Reviewed April 14, 2009

What you will find when you go to Aruba:
- a very beautiful, long, absolutely white beach with several huge, tall hotels. Most hotels in Aruba are tall buildings, a bit "city like", as you may have to take an elevator to go to your room (in the tenth floor). They are not flat ones as you might find in Riviera maya or Punta Cana, for example ( I guess real estate must be really expensive in Aruba). I prefer more isolated beaches when I go to the Caribbean. Even though, the beaches themselves are among the most beautiful I have visited.
- water is turquoise, really beautiful. Colder than water in the rest of the Caribbean.
- shops (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Ferragamo, Ralph lauren, etc) at good prices. Same for electronic goods. Taxi from Riu to downtown: 13 USD.
- a very european-like island, very neat and tidy. They speak English, Spanish and some dialect.

The good about Riu Palace Aruba:
- the beach: white sand, turquoise waters, long stretches to walk.
- food: excellent! Great variety and quality (in all meals, from breakfast to dinner)
- the all inclusive regime: it really includes everything (except for the drinks at the casino)
- the hotel overall: it has nice facilities, comfortable, very clean. Good pool though a little crowded.

The "good but with room to improve":
- services: even when employees are very friendly and polite, this hotel does not have the standard of services one would expect from a 650USD/day hotel. However, overall experience regarding this item was fairly good. Example of the not-so-good: they used to clean the room once a day, when similar or cheaper hotels in the Caribbean use to do it twice. Even one day, they forgot to clean my room and had to call them al 10 pm to ask for clean towels, at least. They changed my sheets only once during my seven days stay and it was because I specifically asked the maid to change them. The room was perfectly clean when we entered the hotel, but daily cleaning was not so good: they used to lay the bed without even noticing that there was some sand on it. We asked for a crib for our baby from the moment we reserved the hotel. When we arrived, they said they had forgotten about that. We had to wait 48 hs for the crib to come.
- No service at the beach
- Very difficult to find huts (or any shadow) at the beach, except you get up at 6:30 and "reserve" your place. We did not want to do this, so we arrived at the beach anytime and just "shared" the shadow with the early-reservers (who, some times, did not show up most part of the day). Again, not what you expect from a 650UDS/day hotel.
- Rooms were ok, not bad, comfortable but nothing great. We had a front-sea junior suite. Not small but not so large, either. They look nicer in the hotel photos. View was amazing! It was really nice to get up with this view.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!