“Great property, unfriendly service”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The property itself has a perfect white sand beach, wonderful views and lovely rooms. The decor might not be everyone's taste, however fitting to the overall theme of the hotel.
However, the service lacks any sort of attention to detail or personal interaction. Prepare to not be noticed, or cared about. Had several problems in the room and the consensus from the staff was "what do you want us to do about it?"
There is no bar service at the beach, and the pool and pool bars close at 7.
The schedules and dress attire (must have long pants and long shirts and only dine at 630 or 9...when you make reservations) are ridiculous for leisure travelers. Forget about eating lunch because there is no option for that.
For food "24 hours a day" there is the sport bar. This is foul. The chicken salad was full of mysterious bones and I could make a better ham and cheese sandwich at home. Also, it's hard to eat nachos without cheese for an entire week.
The casino is a joke, but the Marriott down the street has a lovely facility.
Prepare to wait for the elevator. There is only 2 for the property, which fit 6 people each at best.
For an all inclusive, we have had to go off the property to eat most of our meals. Which should not be the case.
In conclusion, do your research before you book your stay at the Riu.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Ekbyrd

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband I just returned from a vacation in Aruba.
The RIU Palace was an excellent choice! The staff was friendly and accommodating. We were celebrating our 57th wedding anniversary and they provided us with champagne and a card, even a towel decoration of two sweetheart swans. We were in an junior suite in building A, the main building, overlooking the pool and the ocean. The room was nice and you stepped down into the living room, and then onto a large balcony, which provided excellent views of the property. The buffet service in the dining room was magnificent for every meal. The delicious food was displayed beautifully. The staff in the dining room was excellent and their service was great. So, too, were the staff in the casino (Cool Casino). I was a wonderful trip; and I'm sure we will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ruby M
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed at the Riu Aruba for a week in January. The resort is kept very clean and the staff works hard. Didn't bother to make reservations for dinner. the buffet has everything you could want. we have stayed in many AI's and have found the Riu chain to be one of the best. Had a suite with the
jetted tub on the balcony. If you can afford it splurge, it was worth the extra money. Turn down service every night with mints on the pillow was a nice touch. The pool chair saving game is ridiculous since there are plenty to go around. This happens at every AI we have ever stayed at.
The beach is great to watch the sun set.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cat64_12
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We just returned from the RIU in Aruba. There's good and bad in everything and I'll start with the good. The food here was outstanding. The amount and variety are really unbelievable. There are 4 specialty restaurants but if you don't get to them don't feel as if you missed anything as the buffet more then makes up for it. Be forewarned though, one of the restaurants that's open during the day is on a patio type enclosure with no glass in the windows. The staff put netting over the arches but the birds do find a way inside. I wasn't to bothered by this but some folks were. I used room service and I actually had a good experience. They came to my room with in 25 minutes and I got a follow up phone call to be sure I was satisfied. The place was kept very clean and the bathroom was large enough. The tub had water jets and I did enjoy that. The staff were really friendly towards the guests, at least from my perspective. They never seemed bothered to do whatever you asked. The front desk was very helpful when I was having trouble getting my return boarding pass.The rooms all have balconies and even though they were not all ocean front you could see a good bit of the ocean from the balcony. There were some things that need improved upon in my opinion. The room was considered a junior suite and we asked for 2 queen size beds as opposed to a king. The king is 2 full size beds pushed together and to get 2 separate beds the 2 beds were just pulled apart. Unfortunately the beds were full size not queen and my husband and I could've really used a little more mattress room. The mattresses were very firm but we didn't have to much trouble getting to sleep. The activities at the pool side were not as I expected. The music at the pool needs to be varied. Not everyone likes the Latin/Rap type music that was played mostly all day, every day. Some of the lyrics were not family friendly either. There was a daily activity sheet but sometimes the activities just didn't happen, and there was never any announcements saying what and where things were being done. I never saw the horseshoe games or the volleyball games, for example when I was there and there were never any announcements about them. The most disappointing thing for me was the nightly entertainment (or lack there of). There was live music in the bar each night at 8:30 pm but many of the songs were in Spanish and the music type never varied. They did have 'shows' at 10:00 each evening but some were contests rather then the shows I was expecting. The music was pre-recored which is ok but the sound track was bad and you couldn't hear the words at all sometimes. The dancers did a very nice job performing though. Their procedure for signing up for the specialty restaurants was not efficient in my opinion. You could only make reservations for that day, you could not make all your reservations at once. The staff member who took the reservations got there at 8:00 am promptly, but if you were not in line by 7:30 you ran the risk of not getting the restaurant you wanted. Of course I was up anyway because if you were not outside by 7:00 am to put your towel on your chair you did not get one. The staff were more the willing to help you find one though if you couldn't find one yourself. To be fair this saving seats thing is not particular to the RIU, every place I ever stayed had the same issue. If the entertainment and the bed situation was better I would probably go there again. As it is, there are other hotels on this beautiful island that I may stay at next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is in the main building, those face the ocean.
4  Thank 938Lmarie
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the Riu Aruba for 4 nights in a room with 2 double beds. The rooms were good sized with the two beds on an upper area and a small seating area a few steps down on a lower area. The room had a door that opened to a balcony that had a view of the pool area. The bell staff was very friendly and helpful during arrival keeping our bags since we arrived a couple of hours before check in time. We were given a wristband so we could enjoy lunch, the pool area, and the all inclusive amenities while waiting for our room. The common areas, pool, and dining areas were clean and beautifully maintained. The pool area does have music playing during the day which I found added to a fun atmosphere, although it could be a bit loud to someone trying to sleep during the day or working. We primarily ate at the buffets and found the food very good and there was a wide variety of selections that changed daily. Drinks were liberally served at all times during the day and evening and the wait staff was attentive. Finally, the management was extremely accommodating to my family in extending our stay due to a medical emergency. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to someone looking for an all inclusive experience in Aruba.

2  Thank Chestnut44
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I went to Riu palace in Aruba last year, it was very nice outside but the hotel wasn't the greatest, the bed were rock hard, there were no entertainment in the evening which I look forward to. overall it was alright.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne R
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The resort is large and nice but there isn't much luxury past the architecture.

The beds are rock hard so you'll need to ask for a topper.

They don't restock mini bar unless you ask, then it takes several hours.

At each buffet style meal, you must get up to ask for water refills, silverware, napkins, etc.

The music plays so loudly each day at the pool/beach that you can't hear the ocean. Then once you retreat to your room for the evening, you hear the constant music in the casino. So much for a little R&R.

There is a nice area for kids to play in the shade at the pool.

The fitness center is nice.

Ask to be in a newly renovated room.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. Ask for one far away from the Construction at the hotel they are re...
4  Thank Payden_Montgomery