“Typical all inclusive”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Typical all inclusive”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Overall the stay at this hotel was good. Food was good and the service was okay. The rooms were clean. Couldn't figure out the air conditioner. Either too warm or too cold. I travel a lot and this was your typical all inclusive resort.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank RoseBeachLover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
doetinchem
Reviewed January 24, 2014

If you like to be pampered and stay in a beautifull surrounding, then the Riu Palace is the hotel for you! We have staywed in several all inclusive hotels all over the world, but Riu always is the best in this category.
And especially a Riu Palace...they know good food, service etc.
We stayed for 9 days, every day they clean the room in the morning and return in the evening to see if you need fresh towels and turn down the bedsheets, with a little mint at the pillow.
The swimmingpool is lovely, but those annoying people who claim there bed by laying towels on them!! When we had to leave, we had to get up at 5 AM en I swear, even then we saw people walking towards the beach to claim the beds!! Luckely we like to stay in the sahde, and we could get some nice beds at the pool around 10 AM no problem.
The boulevard at the beach is a really nice one, on which you can walk miles and miles, all next to other hotels.
There are a lot of American!! Which isn't a problem, but it just stood out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missleola
New York
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Just returned from a 8 day vacation at the Riu. Hotel itself, beautiful. Rooms (Junior Ocean View) very nice, but a little dated. The musty, dampness that everyone talked about was much worse than described. Every bit of clothing I brought even the stuff we didn't wear, had to be washed. Even the sheets feel wet. I don't get it, because our flight was delayed and we stayed at the Holiday Inn for 1 night, and it was only 4 hotels down from the Riu and the rooms were not damp at all. The food? It was amazing! We ate in the restaurants three times, the Nautilus (steak house) twice, and the Japanese restaurant once. The other two didn't have anything that I was dying to try. The Buffet had soooooo much food to choose from for all meals, it was crazy, and it was nice not to have to dress up every night. Just put some shorts on after the pool and a hat and away we went to eat! The selection was incredible, and the wait staff, impressive, very accomodating and helpful. The night life was a little better than I've read here. There was a show every night, nothing spectacular like a cruise or anything but an hour of entertainment just the same. The casino in the hotel, was nice, but there were definitely nicer casinos around. Besides my complaint about the dampness, there were only two other things I can complain about. One, was that much of the staff did not speak english, I tried to get a massage and had to walk out because the masseuse did not understand what I was telling her, and the other thing was the BS with the chairs by the pool and beach. Now, I have cruised ALOT and I am used to getting up early to save seats, but what killed me was that the one day that I wanted to go to the beach, I got up a 6:30 again, and evidently people go to the little beach hut thingies before they go to bed the night before and tie freakin towels, scarfs or whatever other crap they can and try to hold them from the night before. Got into a screaming match with some lady from France who was out of control. (but I won!!!) One other thing, our flight got cancelled, and I had asked at the desk about staying another night and they quoted me this ridiculous amount of money, I had booked two rooms and they told me $1500. I was shocked that they would charge me so much money after I spent close to $9000 (without spending money) there. So when we got out of the airport, Delta recommended the Holiday Inn, they gave us a displaced traveler rate which was a total of $169, on a room that they get over $300 a night for. The place was amazingly clean, fresh smelling, and wonderful employees. Honestly, if I were to go back to Aruba, I would actually stay there and not an all inclusive. Any questions free free to ask!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank sillysmom
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I (late twenties) vacationed at the Riu for a week this past fall. Overall, the Riu Palace is a great resort for many people, but there were many things I was extremely pleased with, and some that were disappointing. Please keep in mind that I do have HIGH standards.

If you're into big resorts with a lot of people, and a lot going on, this is for you. I would not recommend this for a romantic, luxurious, relaxing getaway.

Room
We booked an Oceanview Junior Suite. These are in the main building, above the lobby. It's important to know that this is Oceanview, not Oceanfront so we were the farthest from the beach. I think I would have even preferred Partial Oceanview, which just means you are looking at the beach to your left or right side.
The room itself was very big, with a bathroom, lobby area with fridge, closet, bed area, and then you could step down into a seating area which the balcony was off of.
Right when we walked in, the smell of the room was overwhelming. All of the rooms have this signature woody, mildewy smell, it can't be covered (we tried). The whole trip we couldn't tell if it was the wood furniture, or the air vents. Eitherway, our clothes and hair smelled like it the whole time, and other couples agreed but they didn't seem to mind as much as we did.
The room was stocked each day with liquor dispensers, water bottles, and sodas. That was nice. The towels were also unlimited.
The bed was so hard, and the quilt was paper-thin. We called housekeeping who brough a few foam pads to go under the sheet. This helped, but not my idea of a luxury hotel.

Restaurants/Food
My boyfriend and I are New Yorkers, so I do know that our standards for food may not be fair. As far as options go, the food selection is plentiful. The buffet was outstanding. So many delicious choices, and you could stop by whenever.
We ate at the Krystal Restaurant and the Steakhouse. Both felt cheap and tacky, and the food wasn't good. Once again, being a New Yorker I am fond of Asian Fusion and Steakhouses. The "Steakhouse" was the lunch dining hall converted in nighttime form. Not luxurious. Krystal had a cool, trendy atmosphere, but the food was bite sized and was onlyabout presentation. We went to the buffet for pizza after both.

Pool
I am more of a pool gal, while my boyfriend prefers the beach. The pool was absolutely beautiful, and probably my favorite part about the resort. The swim up bar was amazing, but the small drinks in plastic cups melt within minutes, so we saw many experienced vacationers come prepared with big cold-keeping tumblers. The bartenders have no problem filling them right up!
We never had trouble finding chairs at the pool, but if you want a good location (by the pools edge, close to the bar, etc) lay your towels out early (9-10am).
We hated the music they blasted through the pool area, it was a top 40 radio station with commercials. We wanted some tropical relaxing music.

The Beach
The beach was absolutely gorgeous, but SO windy. We heard to expect this in Aruba. The beach huts and chairs were limited; the huts were all claimed by 7am and the chairs shortly after that. If you're not an early riser, you're out of luck. We would come down each morning before breakfast and throw our towels on two pool chairs and two beach chairs (we never got a hut). Everyone seems to abide by the honors system with the chair claiming.
Would have been nice to have a bar or cocktail service on the beach. You have to walk up to the pool for drinks.
The water was amazingly warm.

Dining Out of The Resort
Although this was all inclusive, we were craving a luxurious dining out experience (you cannot get this at the resort). We booked a 9pm table at Flying Fishbone, which was a 40 minute cabride away. OH MY GOD, this was INCREDIBLE. My absolute favorite part of the whole trip. You dine on a dark beach, the water is illuminated, and the waves run through your toes under the table. This was a pricey meal, but what an experience. I didn't want to leave.

Snorkeling
This is a MUST. It was incredible. We ended up buying our own masks and snorkels and used them at the reef near the resort.

Tubing
This was thrilling, but only lasted about ten minutes.

Jet Skis
Not worth it, and they assess them after you get off and hound you for damages that you did not cause. They unsuccesfully tried to charge us for scratches to the side of their beat up jet skis. Can you believe that?

Overall, I the trip was fun, but I would not return to The Riu. It was FAR from luxurious, romantic, and relaxing. I would compare it to a cruise.

For a once a year vacation, I think it's worth it to pay a bit more money and truly get a 5 star experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CNR89
Waynesville, Ohio
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a week in Aruba staying at Divi Golf and Beach Resort (all inclusive). My wife and son (13) thought we would look at some of the other resorts while we were in Aruba. Went to look at the Radisson, Hyatt, Occidental and then the Riu. Was treated very nicely at every resort BUT the Riu. They stopped us and asked what we were doing and we explained we came to look at the resort so we can choose a resort for our next trip. They said we had to leave the property immediately. They would not let us leave through the front (the way we came in) and forced us to exit through the back on to the beach! This was at night and we felt very vulnerable to being robbed or attacked as it is very, very dark on their beach. As an American, we still had some concerns about security considering past incidents in Aruba that were all over the news!
We asked them to let us leave through the front because we were concerned and security refused!!
My wife and I are mid 50's (not trouble making kids) with a child and were treated VERY, VERY poorly.
I saw multiple resorts that were all inclusive (including Divi were we stayed) allow tourists to visit the resort but not serve them or allow them to use the pool. We were on the resort less than 5 minutes and we're not trying to sit, drink, eat or see live entertainment! We were just walking through!

DON'T GO HERE.....THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Shame on you Riu!!!!

You have no class!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Pat B
brampton
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We just returned from our first visit to the riu hotel in aruba and can recommend this resort as great all inclusive holiday. The grounds , staff, food, weather , and location are all great and we had a delightful one week holiday . Our only issue is with the palapas which are not controlled by the hotel and can only be reserved by getting down to the beach by 7 am and leaving your towel on the chairs . There seemed to be a lot of people who reserved the palapas with their towels and never showed up until late in the day which was rather unfortunate but even without a palapa we had shade under the many trees . Swimming was also excellent at the beach and they have a boardwalk that you can walk on in front of all the other resorts.Our room was clean and restocked every day . I would definitely return to this wonderful resort and cant wait to return to the happy island

Room Tip: the lower floors and upper floors have larger balconies which you can sit out on
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank happycanuckbrampton
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned from another week at the Timeshare in the Riu Palace Aruba. These units may be the best kept secret at this property. Our apartment was a spacious two bedroom beachfront first floor unit. You walked out your door and were on the beach.

The units are a little older but are clean and well kept. They do have new lat screen TV's. The prices are amazing if you can find a week that suits your travel. You can buy all inclusive for $75 a day but it is not required. You have access to most of the hotel amenities.

Of course all of the problems in the other reviews exist within the hotel. Lack of beach chairs, lack of Palapas, lack of towels which is just part of the large resort and lack of management preparing for the high season. In timeshare it is not such a problem or concern because you are not expecting a 5 star resort and are not paying 5 star rates. As a family we rented a timeshare for the week for the price of one night in the hotel. We did not stand in line for dinner reservations-we ate in many of the great Aruba restaurants. We did buy breakfast tickets a few times and a day pass for Wednesday which is Mexican Night. Timeshare also does not have the hard miserable beds.

Getting a Papalpa is not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. Every resort we have ever been to requires you get out early to save your spot. The Riu is no different. You do not have to be on the beach or at the pool at 4am or 5 am. There are people who get out at that time but it is not necessary.

Riu Palace Aruba Timeshares make an Aruba an affordable vacation destination. By the way-they are only available for rent or sale through private owners.

Room Tip: First & Second Floor Timeshare Apartments are waterfront-parellel to the beach. They walk out r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!