“Royal Palm Club at RIU Aruba”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We recently got back from a vacation at the Royal Palm Club at RIU Palace Aruba. This is the timeshare part of the RIU, but ABSOLUTELY still a part of the RIU Palace. The room itself was laid out very nice, but between the cockroaches, both dead and alive, and the broken and missing 'amenities', this place was VERY disappointing.
The microwave oven and the alarm clock were broken and did NOT work, the TV reception was piss poor on half the advertised channels including ESPN and ESPN2, which really sucked as I MUST Watch football on Sunday/Monday nights EVEN (especially!!) on vacation ! There was no iron or ironing board in the room, and when we called for one (Twice!) it took literally 2 hours to get a rust corroded iron and broken ironing board delivered to the room, making us late for dinner the first night there! The stovetop was filthy upon arrival and I needed to clean it for 15 minutes the first morning before cooking breakfast. And then of course, the Roaches, which by the way are Huge in Aruba. I found two dead behind the couch in the bedroom, and had to eliminate one that ran right into the middle of the living room floor......ummm, Ewwww!!
I WILL say that the property itself is absolutely beautiful, and the pool is by far the greatest one we have ever encountered in the10 years that we have been vacationing in Aruba. Those 2 positives are the only thing saving this place from getting only One star.
I'm sure the rooms in the main hotel are gorgeous and well maintained, but for the timeshare people, like us, who think they are in luck because they can trade for a week here......Think Again. We have stayed at many great places in Aruba that we would return to, but The Royal Palm Club at The RIU palace is DEF not one of them.

8  Thank Christoph O
Write a ReviewReviews (6,360)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have gone to RUI Palace twice in 6 months. We love the location, service, food, and rooms. Due to the close proximity of the equator they have damp rooms in the evening, but very nicely decorated. Not sure if there is anything anyone can do about the dampness. Food is really good and many,many choices. Location is exceptional, with beautiful and spacious beaches and pools. Service has been wonderful both times we have gone. Anything we needed they accommodated us. Want to go back again and maybe stay another hotel for a change...but would compare too much to RUI. So we will return again and stay at RUI. Only negative I can say is they have very firm beds, just ask for a topper. Have a great time.

Room Tip: All have a beach and pool view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Maria A
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night trip to the Rui. Read a lot of reviews before we left and didn't know what I was going to find. From the first step in the door it was great. All the staff are friendly and happy to see you. The food was better the average for all inclusive, yes you do have to get up early to make a reservation for the resturants but there are two seatings so most times you will get something. The beach is beauitful and pool was fun with fun bartender and activity staff. Can't wait to go back again .

4  Thank Christine D
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My best friend and I just got back from the Riu. On the plus side, the pool is great, their beach location is fab, we found the staff to be nice. Yes - the drinks may be watered down but you can have as many as you want & you can request top shelf liquor (have an Aruba Ariba-- delicious!). We thought the food at Krystal was great for dinner and Milano's was pretty good. The buffet meals always had something that appealed to our appetites, and we especially loved the fresh juice and beverages at breakfast. The servers weren't always fast but they were very kind & well meaning. Sometimes the WiFi was touch & go, but I chocked that up to a Caribbean location (and I think it was stronger out by the pool house). We had a flat screen TV and a large balcony high up looking straight out at the ocean in a premium room with 2 beds. The room layout worked well.

On the negative side, and for both of us it was a huge-huge-huge negative, the room was moldy. When we walked in the mold earthy beet smell was overwhelming. Once I was in the room for awhile the smell became less noticeable. There was mold all around the electrical outlets, on the back of the plastic-lined curtains, on some of the walls and where the floor met the walls. Our sheets were always damp, even when we kicked the AC down to a chilly temp. The Jacuzzi was not clean so neither of us used it. The floors are mopped using one bucket of water for ~10 rooms plus the hallway. This meant the floor had curly black hairs(!), dust, sand, etc. - and we had to wear our flip flops at all times in the room & never put anything on the floor. When we first had checked in we went back down and asked for the floor to be cleaned, but because they used dirty water again it didn't help. I honestly think they try, but the lack of cleanliness for me would be a reason to never go back to this brand of hotels again. I will attach pictures for those, like me, that tend to discount negative reviews so you can make your best judgment.

Also, on the first day we were there their dryer had stopped working so we were without any towel/hand towel/wash cloth for the first evening (and no paper towels or anything were brought to get us by). It seemed they fixed this issue as we were never without an abundant supply after that first day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank tiac3
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and i stayed at the Riu Palace 10/27/13-11/2/13...and we loved it!!! Ok, when we checked in we weren't so impressed with the lobby..I like to be wowed when I go away, I like bells and whistles..but you don't really get that from Aruba hotels. Both the Radisson and the Hyatt (located next to the Riu weren't "wow" hotels either).Our room was immaculate and the service was great..food was great in all 4 specialty restaurants and we found the Buffet to be ok. The beds are hard but the mattress topper helps, request it as soon as you get there. Nightly entertainment was lacking and we didn't really care for the shows (as the dancers seemed to be more into themselves than entertaining the crowd) So with that, we went to different casinos at night and walked around outside which was very nice and SAFE and the smells of the different restaurants were amazing..lot's of outdoor dining!!! We also stopped by the bar located outside our lobby for it was a nightly hang out always full of laughter and people. We met alot of people, everyone is so friendly, staff and fellow guests alike. The pool is dynamite and the beach is probably the best water i've seen and I have traveled to some beautiful locations. One night we ate outside the resort, we went to Madam Janette's (short cab ride) probably one of the best meals we've ever had (and we live in NYC and have eaten in very good restaurants)..We recommend it highly!!! Bottom line, Aruba is great!!! We are definitly going back..will probably try the Radisson or the Hyatt next time if the price is right. We opted for the Riu because so many people said everything is so expensive in Aruba..we didn't thik so..that terric meal at Madam Janette's cost us $125.00 with tip, we had lobster appetizers, wine and our meal..that being said unless you eat and drink ALOT you may not need the all inclusive..but again it depends on the price of the other resorts at the time. When we booked we could have gotten either of those hotels for about $2,500.00 no alcohol or food..we paid $4,200.00 for the all inclusive..had the Radisson or Hyatt been over $3,000.00 the Riu would be a better deal so you kind of have to weigh the options..One of the only reasons we would opt for another hotel is for variety purposes..and to try other restaurants and not for any other reaons as the Riu was a great place to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor in the A building (which is the main building)..our room overlooked the w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Barbaram1028
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was very weary of this trip after reading reviews before we left....but it was by far the best vacation we have ever had. Also, it seems like many people here writing reviews are definitely WAY too picky....or must be extremely richy rich! :P

We flew out of Toronto via Sunwing. Flight was great, everything on time. Arrived in Aruba at lunch time. Only downside was that our room was not ready when we arrived, so we had to hang out in the lobby until it was ready. We did go eat lunch while waiting, but we stayed the rest of the time in the lobby because it was really hot outside and we were wearing jeans.

We stayed in building B, on the first floor. Our view was a "garden view". Well, it was of the building next door. Not exactly a great view, but in all honesty, we didn't spend much time in our room, so a view didn't matter to me at all. The balcony was HUGE though! The rest of the room was really nice. Yes the bed was hard, but so are the beds in every other resort I have stayed at. Not really a big deal. The décor was nice. Not modern by any means, but everything was clean and well maintained. The TV was a tube tv, but again....I can watch TV at home. I didn't pay to watch tv in a hotel room, and I really don't care what kind of TV it had. Bathroom was all marble, nicely done. We always had fresh towels, and the maids would come by in the evening with more new and fresh towels. Amazing!

The hotel itself is very nice. All the staff members we dealt with were pleasant and helpful. The food was fabulous - there is so much choice at the buffet, you can eat there every night and not eat the same thing twice. Delicious food. Amazing selection. The a la carts were nice too. We did not eat at the Japanese though. But the Nautilis, Krystal, and Italian restaurants were really good. I can not get over how delicious all the food was. Better than any other resort!

Pool was great - I love how gorgeous it looked. Always a spot to sit, and the pool was never overcrowded.

The beach was to die for - absolutely beautiful. The cabanas were always taken by the time we got to the beach in the morning, but they were far back anyways. We prefer being closer to the water, so there was never an issue. Always enough loungers!

For excursions, we went jet-skiing (cheap and fun!), tubing (would recommend to anyone who loves a thrill), all-day jeep safari (worth every single penny), and the Jolly Pirates ship trip (so much fun, staff were AMAZING). All the excursions were great - not that expensive and everything was so much fun.

We also left the resort to go into down town 3 times (twice during the day, and once at night). Aruba is fabulous - you feel safe no matter where you go. We didn't have a single problem any time we left the resort, and the locals are so friendly.

The only downside to the Riu Palace was the night entertainment. It fell flat. The entertainment staff tries hard, but I think they need to figure out other things to do (including hiring outside entertainment). Maybe also have some sort of night club/disco at the resort?

Overall, my husband and I had such a great time. I would go back to Aruba and the Riu Palace Aruba in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: "Garden" view in Building B will be of the hotel next door, but the rooms are nice and cle...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank melissabye
Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you're like me, you'll read and only give weight to the reviews you want to match your wishes. Well, I wish now I had paid more attention to the negative reviews. We are here now, and I wish I had made another choice. If you want watered down alcoholic drinks, CHEAP wine, and cafeteria quality food, then this is your place. I've been on several cruises and the food on Royal Carib is far superior. Wish we had done that rather than this. The beaches in Aruba are wonderful, so find another resort and some descent restaurants and a liquor store because this place is not worth it. Luckily this was an incentive trip that my husband won through his work and we didn't actually pay for this. But I still feel cheated!!

Room Tip: Find another Hotel!
5  Thank Danielle M