The hotel was nothing special, very generic. We didn't feel welcomed from the very beginning: the front desk people are not friendly at all, you get a feeling the whole affair is such a routine for them, they don't even bother to smile. The same in the restaurants, the staff is never there when you need them. We tried to concentrate on our vacation and enjoy despite everything, yet unpleasant emotions kept popping up. There was a strong chemical smell in the corridor that led to our room. That corridor being pretty long, one spends like 3 minutes at least walking through it and then you wait for ever for the elevator (by the way, be careful with that elevator button, it gives an electric shock when you press it - might be dangerous when your hands are wet from the beach), and all that time we were suffocating with some strong chemicals. We called the front desk of course, and asked to investigate. No result. We called several times, and on our fourth attempt we were told that there was no smell. As if we were just some dumb idiots. Guess what, the next day we saw huge dead cockroaches on the floor, so we understood what the smell was from - they were terminating roaches. Apparently, Riu Aruba doesn't know ways of terminating cockroaches without gassing your customers as well, or those no-smell treatments are too expensive for them, anyway, the strong chemical smell was there for four days of our vacation. We had to run from our room outside holding our breaths all the time.
The pillows smelled terribly with something disgusting, like vomit. Even though they were changing the pillow cases, the smell was on all of them. I couldn't fall asleep because of that.
The food: don't even bother going to their restaurants, it's not worth it - you wait 40 min for a pre-made salad or a pre-made seafood plater that was made a few days ago and tastes plain spoiled. Restaurant desserts are inedible as well. After being disappointed with the restaurants we went to the buffet only, where you also had to choose carefully to make sure you're not eating something spoiled. Overall, we weren't hungry of course, but definitely not exited about what we ate, weren't looking forward to our breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We couldn't wait for the week to be over and to get out of this place somehow. It wasn't fun, wasn't anything special. Feet washers at the pool or at the beach were always clogged and we had some irritation on our feet, probably also because they don't wash the floor in your room with clean water, it's whatever's there after several rooms before it was your room's turn.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anybody. Dull feeling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 24-hour All Inclusive Hotel Riu Palace Aruba opens all year round and is located directly on the beautiful Palm Beach. RIU Palace is the most elegant category in the RIU hotel chain, with hotels that meet the highest standards in terms of luxury, excellence and sophistication, creating a unique experience. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Aruba Airport (10 km) and Oranjestad (11 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 450 cozily furnished rooms with free Wi-Fi and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa, or get in shape at the fitness center. 2 outdoor pools, 1 children's pool. Day and evening entertainment, as well as our discotheque in the neighboring Hotel Riu Palace Antillas. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main buffet restaurant, Japanese and Italian, Fusion restaurants and Steakhouse, as well as 5 bars and our Capuchino patisserie & ice cream parlor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Aruba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Aruba Hotel Palm/Eagle Beach
- Riu Aruba
- Riu Palace Aruba Resort
- Hotel Riu Palace Aruba Palm - Eagle Beach