“I love Aruba: Mi stima Aruba”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Denver, Colorado
“I love Aruba: Mi stima Aruba”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night 6 day trip to Aruba, wish we would have stayed a little longer. We stayed at the Riu Palace on Palm Beach. Have to say the room was awesome. Originally book the Jr. Suite with the ocean view, but stayed in the Jacuzzi Suite. I would never have paid for this room but had gotten this room due to a mix up with our reservations. We ended up wasting about three hours of our vacation when we first got there waiting for them to resolve the issue. The hotel gave us a ticket so we could eat and drink while they worked on the situation. When they finally got everything figured out they ended up giving us a Jacuzzi Suite. Santana, the person at the front desk that helped us with everything was very nice, and even called after we had gotten into the room to make sure we were happy.

As for the stay the only thing I would complain about was the bed was hard and there was a musty kind of smell in the rooms. The next time I go on vacation I am tempted to bring my own pillow and blanket.

As for the food we did not go to any of the ala carte restaurants. I don’t know about anyone else I just do not like having to make reservations. When I am on vacation I like to just relax and do what I want when I want. So we ate in the Don Nicolas for dinner and at the Nautical for our lunches. We only made it down for breakfast the day we left. The food was good. The selection was great. And the alcohol was top shelf.

Note to those of you out there who would like to do a little snorkeling. I bought some snorkeling gear on Amazon for about $60.00, along with some underwater cameras. So worth the cost if you figure that if you would pay to go on one of those snorkeling tours it would cost almost that much for one time out. There is a spot down the beach just a few minutes’ walk from the hotel in front of the Police Station, that you can do some snorkeling. Especially for the beginner, the water is shallow and there is a lot to see. We found plenty of fish, shells, crabs, lobsters, and this amazing star fish. We spent the last two days down there just exploring and taking pictures. Was the best part of our vacation, wish we would have found this spot earlier.

5 Thank Gypseian_Life

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Colonia, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I returned from our Honeymoon at the Riu Palace Aruba on August 15th after our 9 night, 10 day stay.

The Riu Palace Aruba was my 5th all inclusive resort. I have stayed at the Occidental in Punta Cana in 2005, the Melia Caribe in Punta Cana in 2006, the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana in 2009, and the Riu Santa Fe in Cabo in 2009 and 2010. My husband and I traveled to the Bahia and the Santa Fe twice together. Our experience at the Bahia was not very positive. We disliked the food A LOT, had a 4 hour wait to check in to our room, and had a tough time enjoying ourselves because of the overcrowded resort. (It was overbooked, and many people were sent to different resorts). Now, I am 29 and my husband is 32. We are a fun-loving couple that really likes to relax on vacation, enjoy cocktails, and have good meals. Going into any all-inclusive, you can't expect the best food. After having stayed at the Riu in Cabo, we knew we needed to find a Riu Palace for our honeymoon. Since Aruba is on the pricier end, we figured we should travel there for the honeymoon since we probably wouldn't make that a yearly trip.

I read a tip from someone on TA last year about emailing the resort a week or two before your arrival. I've done this before at the Santa Fe (both times), and they treated us like gold!! A few weeks before our honeymoon, we emailed the Riu Palace, but unfortunately, received no email back. I figured that since the RPAruba is so high in Honeymooners volume, they just don't really return emails.

ARRIVAL:
We took a nonstop flight to Aruba on United Airlines. After a pleasant flight, we landed at the airport in Palm Eagle Beach. Our luggage seemed to take super long, so I was hoping that our Shuttle didn't leave without us! We found our way outside and found an Expedia representative who quickly gave us our ticket and we boarded the bus. The ride was only about 20 minutes away from the resort - it was great! As we were driving to the resort, we noticed a lot of "Americanized" stores and shops, as Aruba has a big jewelry store inventory. But, we also saw local restaurants and shops too.

CHECK-IN:
I was nervous about check-in because we always seem to have to wait because the room isn't ready. We waited just for a few minutes, which wasn't bad at all (it gave us a chance to enjoy our welcome cocktails in line!) When we made our way to the front, the gentleman congratulated us on our marriage and told us our room was ready! I was so thrilled, but I wanted to be sure that they had us down for the Suite that we paid for. When I asked him to look into that, he talked to another colleague who said, "Yes, that is a Jr. Suite." DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THAT TRAVELERS! The Jr. Suites are the standard rooms, and we paid a significant amount more to stay in the Suite. Fortunately, I had my print out from my online booking. They told us to wait a few minutes so they can check that a room is ready. Within 5-10 minutes, the room was all set. We left our bags that were to be delivered, and we were off. We stayed in the Building off to the left (this is one of the two updated buildings).

ROOM:
What an incredible room! We were in room 11036. We were a bit confused, because the elevators only went up to floor 10. We had to walk all the way down the hall and up a narrow, small flight of stairs to arrive at the top floor. There were two rooms on this floor only-our Suite and a regular Jr. Suite room. It was cozy! We walked in to a GORGEOUS room! There was the stocked bar on the left when you first enter. Walking into the living room, the huge walk in closet was on the left and the balcony was straight ahead. The living room had a couch, dresser, and coffee table. Walking up a few stairs, the bed was facing the living room, and the bathroom/jacuzzi was off to the right. The balcony was long, and the length of the room. The tv swiveled to face either the bed or the couch. The view was BREATHTAKING. Our room was on the top floor and the closest to the ocean, so you can imagine how beautiful the view was. Although our room was out of the way, room service came everyday we had our Green tag on the door, and our fridge was restocked almost every day without asking (we did ask twice, but it was no problem). The only negative I would have to say about this category was at on 3 occasions, our phone rang and we were asked if maintenance could come in our room to fix the air conditioning vents. We had no problems with the AC, but I'm guessing they had to fix something, so we said it was okay. We stayed in the room during this time, and they worked about an hour a day three times. I could have done without this, but we had just come back from a day at the pool/beach, so it was okay.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:
On the first night, we went to the Buffet. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food! It was more or less the "standard" buffet spread, but it was tasty. As far as the a la cartes go, we only went to two during our stay. We love going out to nice restaurants, and we figured that since we were on our honeymoon, we should take advantage of the DELICIOUS restaurants all around Aruba. More on that in a bit. We went to the Steakhouse (which is the Pool-Side buffet restaurant for lunch) on night 2, and the Italian on night 3. We both had the Surf and Turf at the Steakhouse which was inconsistent. Mine was delicious, but my husband's was dry. The Italian was delicious, and I would definitely recommend! I never had a problem booking an a la carte restaurant, and I was down in the lobby at about 8:30 each day. I did hear of people have problems booking for the earlier seating. It is unfortunate that there is a 6:30 and a 9:00 only, but I guess they had their reasons for that!

Some of the Restaurants outside of Aruba we visited:
-Flying Fishbone (food was okay, but we had TERRIBLE service so we definitely wouldn't go back because of the that. The ambiance was amazing though - tables right in the water. Beware - it was a $45-$50 cab ride EACH WAY)
-El Gaucho (YUM. Steak was insanely delicious! Great service, but TERRIBLE sangria. I guess they don't make it like Americans do)
-Madame Janettes (YES! We loved it here! Amazing food and service.)
-Papillon (We found this hidden gem in the town of Palm Beach which was a quick 5 minute walk from our resort. We ate here twice!)

POOL/BEACH:
There is one LARGE pool here, with the swim up bar. We spent most days here. There were some days that I didn't put a towel down, and we struggled to find a chair. But, we were in the pool the whole day anyway, so we didn't really need to worry about that. They had activities and games in the pool throughout the day. This is a family friendly resort, so there were a lot of children there - just an FYI.

This was the most incredible beach we have ever seen. It was absolutely amazing. The huts are taken SUPER early in the morning, but there are PLENTY of chairs, as long as you don't mind sitting in the sun.

TOURS:
We did several tours! There is a hut right in between the pier and the Riu Palace on the beach - Fun 4 Every 1 Watersports. We did the Marble (very similar to tubing), and we decided on a Private Snorkel Tour with Gino, who was AMAZING (REQUEST him if you can!). I would absolutely recommend using this company! We also did the Kukoo Kunuku dinner and barhopping - totally worth it, and a great time! Lastly, we did the Submarine adventure. It was just okay. The concierge at the Riu Palace Aruba is very helpful and will have a cab for you in a few seconds!

CHECK OUT:
We set up our pick up time with Expedia, and we arrived in the lobby and waited for the bus. Check out was a breeze. We just received a print out from our room.

OTHER INFO:
-The mini bar in the room consists of a six pack of beer, 7-8 bottles of soda, 4 large bottles of water, and a rack of liquor
-Our maid was great each day! We left her $5 each time we had her clean our room.
-Tipping on this resort is welcomed, but not necessary. After tipping a dollar a drink the first two days, we decided to leave a $5 tip at the beginning of the day for the remainder of the trip, and the bartenders took care of us with no problem!
-The cups are small, and I did see people with large insulated mugs, and the bartenders filled it up with no problem!
-Each day, we went to the smaller buffet (by the pool) for lunch. They are open for lunch from 12-4. From 4-5 there's "snack", but it really was just a few sandwiches.
-The shows each night took place at the stage, and we watched one of them. To be honest, the sun wore us out each day and we were sleeping pretty early.
-There is a 24 hour sports bar that has a large fridge of microwavable sandwich snacks. We ate a few things from here - they are what you would expect.
-There is room service with a VERY limited menu, but it was nice to have.
-The pool bars open from 10-6. The two bars in the main area of the resort open when the pool bars close.
-The sports bar also includes an internet area for an additional fee to use.
-The MIAMI VICE with coconut rum was DELICIOUS and refreshing!
-Though our room overlooked the main walkway to the pool/beach, we never had a noise problem!
-Though we never used it, there is a spa (for an additional cost)
-There is a gym (included and free for guests) which I went to a few days. Two treadmills and two ellipticals, and some bikes, with a few machines. Just enough equipment.
-Sure the beds are a little hard, but its a personal preference to what you like.

All in all, we had a WONDERFUL experience here. Again, people have many different experiences, and I am convinced that your vacation is what you make it. We will absolutely be returning. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Since we were on our honeymoon, we decided to book the Suite. We were the top floor closest to the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lovestotravel0784
London
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was advised not to book a double room as we might end up in the complained about "C" block. I ordered a junior suite and was given a suite with huge balcany sun terrace in the newly built prestigious B Block. It was very comfortable. The maid service was excellent with towels replaced twice a day, beds made up and turned down every evening. The food is very good and all restaurants tried and all the food enjoyed. The entertainment is awful and not up to riu standard. It consists mostly of a one man band playing loud music which you have to shout above to be heard, not pleasant. There are not many shows and the one there is is very amateurish. There is no notice board with entertainment instead just a flyer but none of the times are kept to. It doesnt really seem to matter if a show or activity is running 10 minutes late, 30 minutes late or simply doesn't happen. The "sports bar" is not a sports bar and should not be called such. The majority of the guests are European/South American but no football or formua one races are shown. If you like American netball you will have a ball as the sports bar is empty and that is what is showing! Aruba is very windy. Make sure you remember your clothese pegs and chair pegs. Anything bought on the island is very expensive so stock up on sun lotion etc before you arrive.

6 Thank Katie L
Uk
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a two week holiday to the RIU Palace Aruba what I can say this is NOT a five star palace resort I though it would be.

The hotel comprises of three main residual blocks A, B and C. Being British we were allocated block C where they tend to place 98% of the British guests.

Upon entering the room I immediately noticed a musky smell in the room which stayed there for the duration of our stay, although the room was clean and the towels were changed twice a day. The room was not up to standard, the bathroom door had been damaged and you could see where they had filled the hole with filler and painted over it, parts of the taps in the bathroom were missing. The room was dated in its décor.

I have previously stayed at a Riu Palace in Mexico and this was NOT anywhere near that standard. Being a C block room we were met by the ‘French’ balcony which barely had enough room for two persons to stand on, compare this with either block A and B which had the conventional balcony arrangements. Not good enough for a £4000 holiday. I’m quite sure that I had seen the TV set on a program of antiques road show, it was ancient. When we asked to change rooms we were met with the excuse that the hotel was fully booked.!! I asked a staff member in confidence regarding the placing of British guests and that person stated that British guests were placed in block C because they accepted the room more easily and did not complain.

The staff at the hotel were excellent, they really do work hard to ensure that your stay was enjoyable.

Towels:
Upon receipt of your room card you are allocated two towel cards which you exchange on a daily basis for towels, this practice seemed to work well. The continual fight for sun loungers is still prevalent with persons actually placing their towels on the beds at 06:00 hours in the morning then returning to them at around mid day!! Now if you want a lounger on the beach (good luck) these are gone by 05:30 in the morning.

There are a number of specialist restaurants within the hotel which you have to pre book the morning of the desired date. Eating times are 6pm and 9pm ONLY the menu for these restaurants remained the stay throughout our stay.

My wife and I booked for an evening meal at the Nautilus restaurant (steak house) where we were bitten numerous times by mosquito’s which spoiled the evening.

Entertainment:
Worst part of the holiday the evening entertainment was at best rubbish. Saturday night’s entertainment consisted of a show run by the ‘activities group’ which consisted of several members from the audience participating in wait for it…………….balloon games on stage. I kid you not. It got to the stage that my wife and I went to the local cinema on a number of occasions throughout our stay just to pass the time. I can fully endorse the Caribbean Cinema in the shopping centre, two tickets for $10 Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

I have travelled extensively throughout the world and I have stayed at better hotels than this in Turkey!!! The location, the beach is absolutely fantastic would I return to the Riu Palace (local maps show the hotel as the Riu Grand Resort?) the answer is No, not at this price there are far better hotels on this lovely island.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank UkWorldTraveller67
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at the Riu for 4 nights 5 days, just got back yesterday 9/26. Like everyone says the decor is a bit outdated. I didn't have any smell to my room like some other reviewers, but the floors are very slippery and if you don't turn off the ac while having the balcony door open the floors will become wet in a matter of minutes. The pool was spectacular, I'm not a heavy drinker but I enjoyed the frozen drinks especially the superman by the pool. The beach is also awesome and there were enough lounge chairs for everyone. We also got a couples massage at the spa which was very very good and theres also a jacuzzi in the spa. The food here is really good, we decided to stick to the buffet (I'm a picky eater) and I loved the food, we would get up at least 3 times for more!The entertainment was definitely lacking in the hotel at night, but no worries there is plenty to do about a block away across the street, theres a strip of vendors, shops, restaurants and nightclubs. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Riu but would love to see some modern upgrades and better entertainment for next time.

1 Thank jlzwashere
Bobcaygeon
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We did a family trip to Aruba at Christmas 2012 and stayed at the Riu. It was Christmas, and we had a great time but this hotel is far from a five star. Thoughts:

Pros

Gorgeous beach

Great pool and poolside activities

Good restaurants, great buffet by all-inclusive standards (buffet was actually the best of the bunch with amazing variety and great quality of food)

Beautiful view

Cons

All the reviews about the mattresses being very hard - believe them. I like a firm mattress, but these were about as close to cement blocks as I've ever experienced

RULES - this hotel has more stupid, inconvenient, guest-unfriendly rules of any place I've ever been to. Also, you must waste one hour of your day EVERY DAY that you want a reservation in in a la carte restaurant. You need to be there at least by 9:15 every morning and wait in line until 10:15 or so to make your reservation. Worse, we were on a family vacation. You were limited to making a reservation of no more than 8 people. So, you had to be there with two people since we were a party of 12. EVEN WORSE they made no effort to accommodate seating the full group together. The restaurant staff, in fact, couldn't have been more customer service unfriendly in this regard. I have to say that we were disgusted by the fact that they seemed to go out of there way to enforce dumb rules that prevented a family on Christmas holidays from sitting together. This alone was the difference between a 3 and the 2 rating I gave the resort.

Staff more concerned with enforcing the rules than evoking customer-centric comfort. Most of them were cold and seemed afraid of management repercussions

All-inclusive bar selection was incredibly limited. Line-ups were ridiculous as were the limited portions. I, by no means, was there to over-indulge -- it was a family trip. But just "indulging" at all was often a challenge, and then you'd get a tiny serving of very watered-down booze and be back in line again if you wanted anything more.

Lots of barfing, noisy young people down the halls all night who had over-indulged

Aruba is very commercialized, urban, and western. I don't want to see McDonalds, Pizza Hut, or Burger King. Some people may like this. I prefer a true, quiet getaway. I wouldn't return for this reason alone.

Room Tip: Unless you really want the all-inclusive, stay at the Hyatt for better comfort on the same beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bobcaygeon_Steve
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel was decent, not a 5 star. Here's my list:

1) This was our honeymoon. We were promised a honeymoon gift at check in. This never happened as apparently they forgot. We met a few other honeymooners and were told that the same happened to them.
2) Our first room smelled moldy, and our safe was nonfunctional. Though the hotel was sold out, they did give us a different room, and all was well from there. Again, a few others we met had the same experience.
3) Amenities aren't new however our room was good size and clean. Housekeeping made sure that we had plenty of fresh towels.
4) This is an all-inclusive hotel and the good news is that the drinks were great, and the buffet food was decent with plenty of variety. There is also 24 hour (limited) room service.
5) Of the 5 restaurants (including the buffet), 4 requires a reservation. This can be a pain since you must make your reservation between 8-11AM the day of, and like us, we weren't sure what mood we'd be in at 6:30 or 9:00 that night (the two dinner sitting time options). What we found was that the restaurant food was only average, so don't get too excited.
6) The pool is large with plenty of room. The beach is more than awesome. The weather is absolutely incredible and made our overall experience pleasant. But note: this is not a couples-only resort. I knew that before booking, but had no idea that there would be so many kids, literally. It's Aruba and 95 everyday...who the hell wants to bring a child to that??? Kids are great, but I could have done without the kid crying behind me on the beach while trying to snooze, or the inflatable rafts near the pool bar area, or the chair bumping and line cutting at the buffet. It gets old fast.
7) Back to the pool bar, it would seem that the title "pool bar" would indicate for adults only. It doesn't. Also, while Riu does several fun activities that involve music and the audience (right at the pool bar area), the music playing was inconsistent, meaning most times there was none playing, and if it were on, it was down low and difficult to hear. You would think that there would be more emphasis on atmosphere.
8) As with any pool/beach, get out early to reserve a space. They fill up quick and people can be ridiculous with reserving chairs and huts.
9) There is no drink service at the beach, which I found odd. So plan accordingly.
10) The gym: sucked. It was small and normally busy. We were in the gym 6 of the 7 days we stayed. The treadmills were barely functional, one sounding like a quacking duck while in use, and looked as if its last service was the day it was installed. Mind you there are only 2 treadmills, and you will be guaranteed that whenever you wish to use one, there will be someone on it doing a 45 minute walk. There is no music playing inside and the TV's are at the back of the gym and hard to view while doing cardio. But more importantly, there was an empty bottle of cleaning solution in the gym the entire week. The first day I complained about this, along with the lack of towels (complained at the adjacent Spa employee). Towels arrived (maybe only 4 or 5) and no cleaning solution. This problem continued all week which resulted in very dirty machines. For a very large and otherwise clean hotel, you would figure providing cleaning solution wouldn't be a problem.
11) When checking out, we weren't asked any questions, specifically, how was our stay. We were literally given our receipt and that was it.
12) Yes there is nightlife nearby (walking distance) with plenty of shopping, food and music. On the resort, there is a little nightlife happening if you wish to stay on the premises, including the casino (small but it can do the job).
13) If you're looking for luxury, this isn't the place. But again, this is a decent hotel, it is clean, and it offers value on Aruba, which like any island resort, can be otherwise very expensive.

Overall, the Riu is a nice place, and the all-inclusive is worth paying, as you will be pleased with breakfast, lunch, and definitely the drinks (hats off to Felix at the pool bar for being fun and awesome). Dinner food options are decent, but we went off the resort on a few occasions, as you may opt to do as well. The beach, water and sun: priceless.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We were on floor 10 facing the Westin. We had a view of the sunset everyday.
3 Thank Cal L
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!