“Great Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I, have just returned from our 2nd visit to the riu palace. The hotel is in a great location with amazing beach views and watching the sunset from the beach is amazing. The hotel has four great a' la carte restaurants, we enjoyed all of them but our favourite was the Steakhouse, Gomez one of the waiters was brilliant and talked to us each time we visited the restaurant for lunch. The buffet Restaurant in the evening was also great with such a variety of food and great service. The pool is great and has some really good waitresses that bring you drinks all day, in particular Cristina and Linda were really good and even remembered us from last year. The bar service at night is also great where the range of drinks they have is very extensive, again some of the waiters were very friendly and always kept refilling your drinks, valentina and Freddie very good. Would recommend this hotel for all of the above, will definitely be returning next year

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leeboon14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Derby, England
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and myself have just returned this morning from aruba having stayed in the riu palace, we read reviews about the place before we went and went with an open mind as we have read several reviews before on different places and make our own minds up when we get there. I had booked through Thomson so I knew that we were going to be placed in block c as that is where they have their rooms. All the reviews about block c are quite negative so we were prepared to upgrade. However when we arrived we were given room 762 (7th floor) in block c and what a surprise, the view was amazing, full ocean view, the bathroom had his and hers sinks, there was a walk in wardrobe, and 2 queen beds. People complain about the matresses being too hard but on the side of the headboards are controls which make the matress harder or softer so you're in control of the comfort of your matress.
The restaurants were excellent, we ate in the buffet mostly but we had a meal in the Nautilus steak house one night and that was amazing, steak and lobster cooked to perfection, we also ate in the Italian restaurant, again excellent food and service.
The staff around the pool are wonderful, coming round every 15 minutes or so asking what you would like them to bring you from the bar. The entertainment staff work hard but that really is the only fault we had with this hotel, the entertainment was limited in the evening.
We went out of the hotel for a couple of meals, as it was My birthday while we were there, Jaz (our rep ) recommended a restaurant called barefoot, it's down in Oranjestad, you need a taxi to take you there, but its well worth the trip, we had our meal sat on a table on the beach and watched the sun go down, it's cost us just over $120 for two courses and 2 bottles of wine. Another restaurant we went to was near the hotel called smokey joes, we just had a main meal each and a couple of drinks and that came to just under $50, they do the best ribs in the Caribbean!
Drinking out in some bars is expensive, we paid $12 for a pint in the hard rock but in some other smaller bars we were just $3 for a small beer in happy hour, one in particular which did this was Dushi burger bar, opposite smokey joes, Orlando the owner. Is such a great character.
Make your own minds up when you use this hotel and don't fret about being in block c, it's absolutely fine.

Room Tip: If in block c ask for a room from floor 4 upwards, views fantastic.
5 Thank jeanetteray
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have been going to the Rui since is opened 6 years ago. We usually stay in the time share building (since we own one) and I will admit that they do not make many changes and upgrades to these units but they are comfortable. This year we stayed in the hotel. I have no complaints. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the cleaning staff make towel sculptures every day. The bar was always well stocked.

In the six years that we have been going I have never had a problem. Richard, the manager is the best!! He always tries to make the guests happy. I think he runs a top notch hotel. He is always walking around and making sure things are up and running. There is not a perfect place in the world but Richard does his best to see that the Rui is as close to perfect as it can be. I am an early riser and by 6:00 a.m. they are cleaning the pool and the grounds. The staff has always been friendly and helpful.

We usually eat at the buffet because the choices are so plentiful. It is always very clean. My favorite restaurant for dinner is the Nautilus. We had steak and lobster. Between the appetizers and the sides we were not even able to eat our dessert. If you want to eat at the sit-down restaurants you need to make a reservation each day.

I observed a few guests complaining about their stay. One guest couldn't wait to write a review because there were no cherries for her drink. The other was complaining about not getting a hut on the beach. I will say that you have to get up pretty early - around 6 or 7 to get a hut.

I think the Rui has the best beach on the Island. The sand is very clean. The water is clear and there are water sports activities for purchase. There are a lot of other restaurants and shopping within walking distance. There is also a bus that you can take downtown which is only $2 each way.

I would suggest giving the Rui a try and make up your own mind.

Thanks Richard for all you do. It's a shame that some people do not appreciate it!!

7 Thank Kathy P
Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were so excited for this trip and the place looked nice from the outside but we have had one of the worst experiences staying at the Riu in Aruba, not to mention this was our honeymoon. I'm going to start with the facility itself. The moment we walked in the place and the entire complex including our rooms smelled musty and moldy, very unpleasant. The furniture in our room was FILTHY and was covered with brown and red stains. There was actually a patch of mold in our room in the bathroom. Next, The bed mattress was as hard as a rock and the bed linens and cover are very cheap and have an Oder to them. The pillows were very uncomfortable to sleep on and also had stains and an Oder to them as well. My husband went to complain about the bed being extra firm and having 3 herniated discs needed more cushion for his back. The person at the desk laughed at him and did not take this issue serious. A piece of ghetto dirty foam was sent to put down on the mattress which Did not make the slightest difference. The pool always ran out of towels. Now the food was absolutely horrible and unsanitary! The buffet had bugs in the food and the staff did absolutely nothing about it. I was literally sick from the food and could not eat there. One guy next to me on line at the buffet said he feels like he was at an Aruban prison! So it wasnt only us! We had to go out to eat everyday because the food was so unsanitary and spend thousands on food since food isn't cheap in Aruba. This was supposed to be an all inclusive trip! Now when I went to the bathroom there was a huge cockroach lying on its back frolicking its legs. At that point I had enough and wanted out of there. My stomach was in knots that this nightmare of a place was our honeymoon. Something that we saved up for and was supposed to be so special for us was ruined because of this place. Every time we spoke to management about the issues they were very unaccomodating and said there was nothing they can do about it. We tried to get a refund for the days we wanted to leave early and go to another hotel. They wouldn't even do that! We were supposed to stay for 10 days but left 4 days early because we couldnt take the place or the rude way we were being treated. I am so disgusted with the Riu it put such a bad taste in my mouth for the island of Aruba. I'm sure the rest of the island and other places are beautiful but I would never go back nor recommend Riu to anyone!

7 Thank Alexis082913
Lakefield, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Returned 2 days ago from a 7 day all inclusive stay at the Riu Palace.
Okay.....Our stay was very enjoyable. It was clean and pleasant..the beach was nice although you must reserve a shaded hut around 6 - 7 AM to assure your not frying in the sun. The beach is very clean and the water beautiful. There is no one servicing the beach with drinks though....which was no big deal to us. The room was nice although I would upgrade and get a better one in the main building or the building to the left with ocean view. The Food was very tasty and the buffet had many many choices. The service was friendly and very helpful, however we tipped and were very pleasant ourselves. They spoke different languages therefor no problems with communication. And here comes the big bummer......Entertainment sucked...Tacky somewhat...underaged flamingo dancers (so 70's) and piano music but really nothing to get the guest's involved and or anything fun to watch. We left the compound almost every night to get our kicks. And....I am easy to please i think...
Thank goodness the location has great bars, clubs, shops etc....right across the street and the area is very safe to visit. We were not worried.
As to going for a honeymoon.....nope! Not a romantic place at all!
Fun for the kids? Nope!
Couples.......or like me, mother and daughter who were pleased to get away in hurricane season with a nice place to relax and swim<>Yes!
Don't go alone - boring
I wouldn't go back to aruba...I loved Jamaica! I am a tropical fan not dessert.
However the trip was very nice!
Oh one more BIG Thing to tell you!! "Take Meds like Tylenol - Advil and bandaids. I got the flue and not one store carried anything at all. I had other guests give me theirs and bring lots of sun tan lotion cause they charge 26 bucks for a can of Sun Protectant. Rip Off.

Room Tip: upgrade and take ocean view with balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Evi D
Mason, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My fiancé and I have stayed in a number of RIU Hotels. We have only stayed in a regular RIU once and after that we now stay in only the Palaces. They are always much nicer! Our experiences in the Palaces is usually wonderful. The food is always excellent! This property in Aruba was once another hotel so maybe that is what makes it older and not as nice. When we first arrived the entrance was very disappointing! The doors were very dirty and I made a comment to my fiancé and we both couldn't believe. All the other Riu Palaces were always spic and span! Perfect! This hotel was not very clean! Toward the end of our stay I started seeing the Hotel Manager so things around the hotel started seeming much better and cleaner. I think he was away for several days and that is why the hotel was so lax. Most of the staff were nice and friendly. We were first booked into the main tower above the lobby. We went up to our room and it smelled and looked dirty. The furniture was old. I told my fiancé that we could not stay in that room. So we went back down to the front desk and told Joseph we needed to change rooms and wanted to be in the South Tower. He spoke to his front desk manager who was so unfriendly and she told him we could change rooms. He then changed us and we were pleased when we went to our room. It was clean and what we were used to.
I walked down the beach each morning and checked out all the other hotels. I really liked some of the other hotels beach front property, better sand and some had snack bars right on the beach but I don't think you can beat the Riu's swimming pools.
The food is always excellent and I enjoy all the wait staff. I looked forward each morning to all the different kinds of fresh juice they have.
I believe I enjoyed the beach and ocean in Aruba more than I ever have. The water seemed so refreshing. Not sticky! We stayed at the beach all the time and the pool some.
Overall ....... If I were going again - I would book with the Riu Palace.

Room Tip: I would choose the South Tower with Pool and Ocean views
2 Thank Kaye55
wokingham
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace Aruba in early August 2013 for two weeks and had a fabulous time.
After reading some of the reviews we were unsure of what may await. We stayed in the smaller of the buildings ( which some refer to as block C ) and were not happy with the initial room allocated, however after speaking with the Thomson rep Jaz ( who was brilliant ) the problem was rectified as soon as a more suitable room became available. The food was the best that we have experienced in any all inclusive holiday ( and we have had many ) with all of the restaurants offering high quality food. The staff were terrific Luis & Yolanda in the buffet restaurant, Johnny in Barry's bar and Linda by the pool. All of the fellow holiday makers that we spoke to would all return to the Riu Palace as there is not much to dislike as it offers a great location with a fun and relaxed atmosphere , we look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrDunas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,389 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,643 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,399 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!