“Amazing Holiday in a fantastic location”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Myself, my wife and 2 female friends visited this hotel for 2 weeks.
Checkin - everything run smoothly and we was greeted with a drink on arrival. We was allocated rooms within Block C and having read reviews stating this was the worst block as the rooms were dated I requested whether we could move to Block A or B and I was told no these we're rooms for people who paid more money, which I was rather offended by as we paid £7000 for this holiday which by my standards isn't a cheap holiday. We was later told by another holiday maker (who guessed we was in block C) that they put all of the English in Block C as the Americans visit more and are more than likely to kick up more of a fuss if their not happy. Anyway, once we arrived at our room we was pleasantly surprised. Although they are very dated they are very spacious and clean. My wife and I stayed in room 455 which was a corner room which had an amazing view of the beach.

The service and the food was top notch. Can not fault in any shape or form. Freddy, the bar tender from the indoor bini bar is simply a breath of fresh air.

My best restaurant had to be the Japanese, really had a touch of class to it. My worst restaurant had to be the Italian it had no ambience whatsoever!

Alcoholic drinks - you will be spoilt for choice. A vast amount of premium drinks and the red and rose wine is good. The rose wine is blossom hill - which great for me as its a wine that I am familiar with. The minibar is stocked each day.

The entertainment is extremely poor and the young entertainment lad is slightly irritating. You will get tired of hearing him say 'oooo my god' and 'wowwwww'!

There are lots of places to walk out to and they are literally on your door step. You have TGIs, Hardrock and many more. Just bare in mind that everywhere adds a 15% service charge to your bill.
The bar on the beach is definitely worth a visit - great place to go and watch the sun go down and reasonably priced too. They put a singer on early evening and it has a great buzz about it. Avoid buy drinks at the raddison hotel if you choose to go watch the carnival there. Two drinks cost of 20 dollars.

Everywhere excepts dollars, so would recommend this currency.

We ventured to Eagle beach which is absolutely stunning and definitely worth a visit, but be prepared to be parched as there was no where around to buy a drink from. It literally is a ghost town in the morning. It seemed a little more busier when we was walking back to the hotel early afternoon, but nothing too exciting.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would say it is positioned in the best location.

Thank you team Riu for making out holiday truly enjoyable. My only recommendation would be that you invest some money in your entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went here for our 20th wedding anniversary I was very surprised to learn (once I was there) that the beach was public, If you did not get up very early in the morning to claim your lounger by the pool you would not have one, we never got to the beach because all the huts and loungers were gone. The room was ok it was right next to the laundry room. Nothing special. Food was good I just was not impressed especially for what we paid would not return to aruba.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jzul93
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in the perfect location. The suite was perfect with a direct sea view and beautiful sunsets. Food was lovely. Several restaurants and it seems everyone on the island is happy. The beach is really lovely. I went last year and proposed. :) she said yes

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank djramsay
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our first time staying at an all inclusive resort and it was pretty nice. The rooms are abit tired and the beds are not comfortable but all else was very good. The food was top notch and did offer a lot of variety. The hotel, grounds, and beach area all very clean. It is not an adult only resort but there didn't seem to be too many kids running around. The pool bar is definitely a plus - we spent a lot of time hanging by the pool and the "activities staff" are very friendly and put on some fun shows around the pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kristin g
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The location of the hotel is ideal, right on the beach. The bars where excellent and stocked local and international brands, which was welcome, although the beer was quite poor. Strange that a hotel in Aruba did not stock the local Balashi beer, which was nicer than, what was supposed to be, Amstel. The hotel was clean with plenty of staff although the rooms could be updated. The food was excellent in the main especially the buffet breakfasts, lunches and dinners and the fine dining rooms where excellent too. We had no trouble booking for each one during our holiday. We did have two gripes however. Firstly the swim up bar, although a great idea, was quite dirty. People would leave their empty plastic cups around the pool and the slightest wind would make them fall into the pool with dregs from drinks which in turn affected the water. Maybe a segregated wall would help this. Also there are not enough sunbeds on the beach for people from the hotel. We found many people getting up early (4am) to claim sunbeds or pay the pool side staff to put towels on beds for them, one of my family was heckled so much for using a sunbed that someone claimed was theirs. Most other hotels in the area have a booking system for beach sunbeds, maybe something that the Riu should adopt. For English people I found Aruba to be quite expensive to eat and drink out of the all-inclusive complex and it appears to aim for the US market but that should not detract from the general feel of the place. Overall it was a great holiday and would return one day, for the sun, crystal clear Carib sea and relaxation and friendliness of the locals.

Room Tip: Ask for lobby block for best views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank jokaz
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is wonderful. Yes the rooms are a bit tired and the beds are rigid (we called down for a mattress pad, made a world of difference) but why go on vacation to hang in your room??

The buffet is AMAZING. The food is top notch and there was a ton of variety. It was annoying to book the other places because theres a time window to do so, and only two times you can eat. We ate at Nautilus one night and it was very acceptable, but we got eaten alive by Mosquitos. Every single diner got up and walked away from their tables until we all just moved away from the bushes. It was unbearable.

Yes the pool ran out of towels sometimes, and yes it can be hard to get a prime seat, but the food, entertainment, and location are all worth it.

Now, the major issue: bedbugs. I'm literally just landing from my return and have determined that I have been a victim. I know they can happen anywhere, but this made me miserable the whole time I was there but didn't figure out til the last day. Check your room THOROUGHLY.

• Stayed: September 2013
8  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Palace in Aruba. Hotel was nice, clean. Resort was great felt really safe. Beach was awesome. Would stay here again, Pool barmaids were the best. The restaurants were good. Alot of families and children, didn't bother us but if you want adult only type resort, you should avoid.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!