“Riu Palace Aruba - Great location; Beach; and Food!”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Riu Palace Aruba - Great location; Beach; and Food!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Riu Palace in October 2012. I had been to Aruba on several occasions but never at this hotel. It was my boyfriend's first time in Aruba. We had an amazing time at the Riu Palace! The weather the first day was cloudy at first but then the sun I remember came out (we got there after Hurricane Sandy had messed up the weather in the Caribbean on its way north, but it did not hit the island or come close mind you). The hotel did a good job of keeping people updated on the situation back home and flight details (postings always at the front desk with news updates). At the time Wifi was only free in the main lobby but supposedly that was going to change after we left.

We arrived at the hotel at 11:00 a.m. and they had a check-in table with names stations based on the alphabet. We still had to go to the front desk to get our keys and the room was not ready yet. We went to eat at the Buffet and signed up for an a la carte restaurant while we waited. Our room was not ready on time (4:00 p.m.) and when they finally it was, we went up to discover they had just begun to clean it. Did not spoil the vacation and was just a minor inconvenience. I'd personally rather have a clean room and wait then come up to a dirty room! Cleaning staff was super friendly.

We had booked a Junior Suite. It was in the main building on the 6th floor (almost in the middle, just a little more to the left). The view from our balcony was amazing (see my pictures). The room was clean and always tidy. We had two double beds that they had put together which did not bother us. No complaints with the mattresses, not like home but much better than other places I have stayed. We had a little issue of humidity in the room where everything got soaked all the time, whether the a/c was on or not. We asked the staff if there was anything they could do but nothing seemed to make too much of a difference. Did not impact our vacation at all, just didn't keep clothes out as they would become wet. Our tv remote didn't work so they replaced the whole tv for us! Very prompt and helpful service from all the staff.

We spent the entire time at the beach and I think the only time we went to the pool was to get a drink from the pool bar. The beach in Aruba is amazing and the Riu had the best part of the beach when we were there. Other parts of the beach had a lot of crap on it from the effects of the hurricane but the Riu had the largest and cleanest part of the beach while we were there. The water was clean and beautiful, with just enough waves to make it fun. Never had to fight for chair at the beach and there were always spots at the pool.

The food at the Riu Palace was great. Our favourite night was at the buffet for Mexican night (it fell on Halloween, hence the balloons in my pictures). We ate at the buffet most of the time but did try a few of the restaurants. Never had a problem getting a reservation but we had no problem eating at the later sitting. The italian restaurant was good as was Nautlius, the surf and turf restaurant.

We did a few excursions and would definitely recommend the Jeep tour (all day one takes you to Baby Beach which is something not to miss! Beautiful turquoise water and the fish will come right to you if you give them some bread!). The Jeep tour shows you a lot of the island that you wouldn't normally see. We also did the pirate ship with snorkeling afternoon tour. One day we took the bus to into Oranjestad and did some shopping. We also went parasailing and rented a Sea-Doo, where my sunglasses decided they didn't want to leave Aruba either and so they made a semi-permanent home at the bottom of the ocean lol.

We had a great time and look forward to going again. We would definitely upgrade to the Junior Suite and recommend that for anyone wanting a little nicer room. The island is very safe to walk around and we had no issues anywhere with anyone asking us to buy anything on the beach or anywhere else. Everyone we met was very friendly and made our trip that much better! We will be coming back :)

Room Tip: Junior Suite in the main building, towards the middle. The higher the floor the better the view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jenniiibear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed the first week of December 2012. The sand and beach was amazing!!!! You should try the parasailing, it was fabulous! , the guys that took us were super nice.
The corridor leading to our room smelled pretty bad. We found mildew in the bathroom shower. I think it could be kept a little cleaner.
The food at buffet was better than in the a la carte restaurants. The drinks are disgusting, very artificial, we tried playing it safe by ordering a rum and coke and was sister got her drink with white specs of something extra - that being pieces of shredded straw. No bar service at the beach.
We paid $2,200 Canadian, and it was not worth it and would not stay at this hotel again.
It is well situated(high rise district) with many boutiques,restaurants, clubs and casinos. I would definitely stay on this strip next time.(divi Phoenix, playa Linda - are both none inclusive)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bettygen
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was a great resort, enjoyed the food, great drinks, and the service was perfect. I have nothing but good things to say about this resort. My daughter and Mike were happy with everything, and we all had a great time. Thanks RIU for making my daughters wedding so special. I have no negitive comments about this resort only positive. Me and my wife will be going back as a couples vacation soon!!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 505 which is a ocean front Jr. suite, great views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank michael p
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to a Caribbean island and as far as the beach and island go it was perfect.

The hotel itself was very good but as other reveiwers have said, it is a little bit tired. We had a junior suite on the 8th floor of the main building and the view was spectacular. The bed was incredibly hard and after 3 days of asking at reception for a mattress topper we gave up and asked the maid when she came to do the room turn down and it was sorted within half an hour.

The reception staff are very good at making notes but doing nothing. We had the mattress problem, a problem with the safe being left locked by the previous room occupants and the hair drier being dangerous due to the plug top being loose and I experienced a small electric shock from it. In my opinion this was unacceptable but despite reporting it 3 times nothing got resolved a until I asked the maid who could not have been more helpful.

You do literally have to have to peg everything down as the winds are so strong, whatever you do take towel clips otherwise if you stand up to do anything your towel will be whipped away by the strong wind. The pool area is nice and although a lot beds get reserved with towels (tied on) you can generally easily find available ones. Be aware that the strong breeze whips an amount of water off the pool into the area around the sunbeds so do not leave electrical items in bags on the floor as they can get waterlogged. Luckily mine were in cases and not there for long before I realised otherwise it could have been a very costly experience. You simply cannot leave anything unattended ( drinks, books, flip flops) because the wind will just whip them away. But once you get used to that and take action it's fine and if nothing else aids a fabulous tan and takes the edge off the very high temperatures. The pool itself is good but the swim up bar can get a bit mucky due to guests not being careful with cocktails and allowing them to tip into the pool. I tended to use the upper bit the pool that escaped the cocktails.

The food is mainly directed to the USA travellers, but here is a huge variety to choose from. You do not have to book for the buffet ( Don Nicolas) but the 4 a la carte have to be booked where you can only dine at 6.30 pm or 9pm. One being too early and the other being a tad too late for me. We did try Milanos the Italian but it was very school canteen feeling in my opinion and we actually did a runner after the apathetic starter and waiting over 30 mins for our main course. The Nautilus steak house however was an entirely different story and we enjoyed our evening there.

The staff are extremely keen to please guests and will remember drink preferences etc, which is amazing considering how many guests are there at any one time. The Americans seem to tip constantly ( as expected in the usa) but the staff do not treat them any more favourably than guests that do not tip every drink which is a huge bonus.

We did eat offsite a few times, the Barefoot restauarant was very good, we also went to Pinchos. Both of these are in Oranjestad and in my opinion very expensive circa 180 dollars for 2 with a bottle of wine. The barefoot service and food are exceptional and especially nice at sunset which is about 6.30pm. Daniels is just down the road from the hotel (turn left) and serve fantastic steaks.

Sun cream was extremely hard to source on the island so try to take as much as you need with you. I did manage to find a brand called aloe aruba in the hotel and in a local shop but it was 19 dollars for a small container ....ho hum!

I can honestly say that my belongings felt safe the whole time I was there and despite not being able to secure stuff in the room safe for a couple of days nothing went missing. I actually left a pair of designer shoes behind when we left and after my return to the uk was so gutted I rang the hotel on the off chance and they had found my shoes and offered without being asked to return them to me by FedEx.. If that is not service then I don't know what is?

Jas our thomson rep could not have been more helpful despite being very poorly with a throat infection whilst we were there, she even runs a book swap system for her guests.

We did 2 trips , the catamaran half day cruise and the jeep adventure full day, both of which were very good.

All in all a fantastic holiday for us as long as you don't expect perfection.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Lyn W
IN
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We decided to do a non all-inclusive (stayed at the Radisson) and an all-inclusive (the RIU). The difference between the two (the Radisson and the RIU) was striking. If you like quiet (I mean EXTREMELY quiet), then the Radisson would be a good choice. We're not party people and don't like being around loud, obnoxious people, but the Radisson was boring (maybe we were there on the wrong day). Anyway, onto the RIU - as soon as we walked in the lobby we could tell our experience in Aruba was going to be better.

The resort is very nice, with a large pool. Our room was in the main (middle) building, directly in the middle on the very top (10th floor) - the view took our breath away, both in the day and at night. We have been to many beaches - Hawaii, DR, Mexico, Jamaica, and beaches in the USA - but have never seen such a beautiful beach with calm, turquoise water with NO seaweed.

Our room was large, nice and clean and had a large balcony. The food was very good and the drinks were strong. It was extremely windy when we were there - the wind blew lounge chairs and their cushions into the pool on several occasions - it was THAT windy. We ate in the Nautilus (the steak house) once; it was good, but we ate the rest of the time in the buffet - it was just as good. The entertainment at night was pretty good, esp. the International Show (I think that's what it was called).

We felt safe in Aruba; this is the only Caribbean island we felt comfortable in by walking off the resort. The RIU is just steps away from a strip of restaurants, shops and bars - it was a very busy, populated area.

The resort kept having elevator trouble while we were there but they immediately fixed the problems.

We really liked Aruba (and the RIU); if only it hadn't been so windy it would have been perfect. We had to struggle to keep our towels, sun lotion, shoes and beach bag from blowing away; the sand blowing in our faces wasn't fun either We had to constantly hold our drinks, too, or they would blow over. I would highly recommend the RIU to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Indybindy
Providenciales
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The best all inclusive on the island. the pools are great the people are fantastic and overall vacation will be one to remember. this place really caters to the vacationers at heart.The beach is very good and the water excellent. when the all inclusive is enough there is always Giannini's to dine out.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicolanicolaLVR
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived here on the 7th of June 2013 expecting a 2 week stay in heaven and the initial impact was great. Things started to go down hill when arrived in our room. We were disappointed by the poor standard and we eventually found out that the wing we were staying in was originally all time-share apartments, these must have been re-configured at some time into double rooms. The finish was poor and the furniture dated. On the whole we couldn't fault the service or food with exception of the Italian restaurant, the food here was very poor. The beach was long and very clean although finding a shady spot was difficult at times. There were plenty of sun beds by the pool and whilst it was very large it's cleanliness left a lot to be desired, there was a scum in certain areas. It seemed that the filters were not working properly. On the whole we found the island very pleasant and the people very friendly, great for evening walks to the nearby shops and bars. As for the hotel we spoke to a few couples who had stayed at Riu hotels and they said that they wouldn't be coming back to this one, I have to say neither will we,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank growbag2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,399 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,654 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,402 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!