“Riu Palace * Wonderful Stay!”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Woodbury, New Jersey
“Riu Palace * Wonderful Stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Let me begin by saying that the TripAdvisor reviewer recommendations in regards to the RIU made this trip an unforgettable experience – kudos to my fellow travelers!

ROOM – As soon as we got to the desk to check-in I immediately asked which floor we were on and which building we were in. Having read on here to request higher floors and in the newer buildings, I did so immediately. I also requested a pillow top mattress cover just in case. The concierge had no problem with meeting our request – she was the best!!!! We had to stay in our 1st room for the night until the next morning’s check-outs were completed. Apologies for not remembering the A B C buildings, but we were sent to the building furthest from the Westin; 2nd floor and considered “ocean view” – yet all we could see were the tops of the trees. OMG, gross: condensation dripping from the ceilings, musty mildew smell, outdated, mold on the tub caulking, no towels/wash clothes, big ol’ tv, cement balcony, dark hallways…everything you’ve read about in regards to the “old” building. I looked at my husband and wanted to cry; this is not what we paid for. We sucked it up and spent the night in the “ick” room. Thank HEAVENS for speaking up from the get go b/c the next morning we were moved to room 1008 – complete 360 from the previous room! We were directly below the RIU sign, in the middle building; overlooking the pool, the ocean, the coastline, as far as the eye could see to the ends of the earth. My husband high-fived me and I shouted “Now THIS is what we paid for!!!” Clean, huge, updated, flat screen tv (not that you watch it on vaca, but still), tile balcony, drying rack for swimsuits, step down living room area, fully prepared with towels/toiletries/pillows and the super comfy pillow top mattress cover. The bellhop helped us both days and even he commented “THIS is what you wanted, I know; much much much better, right?!” Sunsets are at 7 every night and we enjoyed quite a few from our spacious balcony. Moments to cherish for many years to come. I hate to bother people or ever ask for anything, but I am sooooo glad I requested this! I feel bad for those that just accept that other building and don’t speak up.

STAFF – Always very courteous, friendly and willing to help you. Our room was always freshly made up a few times a day, bartenders were attentive (And had great memories - ask them to make something STRONG and they will hook you up!) and waiters/waitresses were always aiming to please. The front desk is more than accommodating and the entertainment staff was a wonderful group of fun and laughter.

FOOD – Eh, it’s resort food. Not the best we’ve had at a 5 star; BUT, it’s paid for and when you’re hungry, you will eat. Different themes along with the basics were served at the buffet, Don Nicholas. Nautilus Steakhouse was ok, nothing spectacular…steak, mediocre lobster, grilled veggies. Nautilus for their lunch buffet in the afternoon was nice though: burgers, fries, tacos, ice cream, mozz sticks, Caesar salads, etc…all within walking distance of beach and pool. We didn’t bother to try to catch the other restaurants as their seating times were only 6:30 and 9. We were usually out and about during the 6:30 dinner and 9 is just way too late to be eating such a heavy meal. We were a little frustrated a few times b/c they leave you stranded from 11-12 with no where to eat – never been to a resort that does that. If we slept in, hello we’re on vacation, and didn’t get to the breakfast buffet by 11, then we were stuck until 12 waiting for the Nautilus to open. We have a 7 mo. old at home, so we took this time to sleep til 9:30-10…sleep was appreciated! Naturally, you can find your own place to eat outside the resort, but be wary – island restaurants are PRICEY. FYI: Senor Frog’s is across the street :o)

BEACHES - Having been to Cancun/Riviera Maya, Bahamas, Italy, Turkey and Greece…Aruba has the cleanest beaches and ocean of all! Be mindful to consistently spritz/lather on your sunscreen though as the breezes along the beach can be deceiving. When the clouds cover the sun = perfection, breezes = perfection, full on sun with no breeze = BURN baby BURN. Now and then the wind may whip up and the sand will “tingle”, ok sting, but it lasts a second if that. My husband and I had a routine of 20-30 minutes laying out, 30-45 minutes in the water to cool off; it’s so relaxing! Travelers were correct in their previous posts regarding the cabanas…don’t count on them unless you want to get up at 6am to reserve one. The one morning we were lucky enough to get one and after an hour we gave it up - we’re on vacation to get some sun and enjoy the beautiful water…not lay in the shade sleeping, we could do that anywhere! Compared to other resorts, I must admit that we were disappointed that they did not have anyone walking the beach to fill/deliver your drink, but the pool bar is not too far if you really have to have a drink. BIG downside to the drinks are the tiny little plastic solo cups … this is a “sip” of beer for someone like my husband who is 6’2” 220lbs. (of muscle!). Other resorts serve their drinks in classier tall glasses. Not the end of the world though.

THINGS TO DO – So much to do! Luckily De Palm Tours is right on the pier and activity stations to sign up for parasailing, snorkeling, Jolly Pirates, jet skiis, etc. are all right there on the beach just steps away. We enjoyed snorkeling aboard the Dolphin (sail boat with twist slide into the ocean and rope swing) despite wanting to book the Jolly Pirate – which books fast, so we missed out – no worries though! We would highly recommend renting the Trike Bikes for the tour around the island. They’re located just up the street, under the big red/white windmill. We had a blast!!!! Also, the bus comes every 15 min. for $2.50 per person each way, to take you downtown. Walking along the shore, shopping and just enjoying a nice afternoon is a must! FYI: The customer service desk or activity desk in the RIU main lobby can assist you with making reservations outside of the usual beach activities.

Room Tip: Middle building floor 10 is the ultimate: grande views of the pool/resort, ocean/beach, coastline an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank WorldTravlrnTraining

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Maple, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at RIU Palace in May 2013. The hotel, grounds, pools, casino and room were well maintained. Beautiful! Staff except for one restaurant supervisor were super friendly. The food was good with lots of choices although I did get foor poisoning for 24 hrs, and met another guest with the same complaint. The evening entertainment was so-so. Room service took an hour to arrive. Had a very nice time. Not sure if the property is worth the extra money compared to the other hotels on the beach. Loved the all inclusive feature.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jan H
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

So just back from Aruba and had a fantastic holiday. PS I go on holiday to enjoy myself and I'm not that bothered if everything is not the same as i have at home i.e the hotel has a different mattress to the one i have at home, the decor is not up to date, the sun is hotter than i expected and sometimes I have to wait longer than 30 seconds to be served at the bar.

Lets go through the negatives first, some are mine, some I heard through conversations with other residents :
1. Americans - seem to think its OK to pour pina coladas in the pool so it looks like sick. Seem to think its ok to leave their plastic cups in the pool. Seem to think its ok to get pissed by mid-afternoon and when a waiter refuses to serve them anymore drimks thinks it OK to abuse the staff because they have tipped them and make threatening gestures by making a gun with his hand and pointing it at the waiter!! (Gun culture travels the world). Seem to think its OK to not wait your turn, not say please or thank you. In addition to be grammatically correct - its can I have a beer? NOT Can I get a beer u don't work there!!!!)

2. The wind - it is windy but if it wasn't it would be too hot!

3. Flies/birds - there are flies and birds - its a tropical island!!! When I have a BBQ at home I have the same issue but i also have wasps,bees and mosquito's,

4. TV - has limited channels and is not a flat screen. PS - I'm not bothered I don't go on holiday to watch TV

5. LIfts are slow - wait then whats the rush your on holiday or take the stairs (sorry that is exercise)

6. Sunbeds - do need upgrading on the beach and around the pool. THey have replaced some why not replace them all

7. No waitress service on the beach - walk to the bar its probably the most exercise you will have on holiday

8. Restaurant booking - a painless exercise in my opinion although some people find it hard to comprehend .... its not rocket science

Positives

1 Thomson Rep - Jaz........ absolutely superb, one of the hardest working reps I've ever come across in over twenty years of travel. Friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and always willing to provide ideas etc. All Thomson Reps should be modeled on Jaz

2. Rooms - paid extra for a sea view was in 909 directly below the Riu sign had a great view of every sunset. Nice big bed, lounge area and premium optics - bonus

3. Beach - fantastic, clean and a short walk to the bar

4. Pool Area - again very clean, plenty of bins to put your empty cups in, pool cleaned every morning

5. Bars - Barry's Bar in the evening - excellent, Carlos and Johanny both excellent - again premium drinks

6. Pool Bar - again surprisingly friendly especially considering the abuse received from Americans

7. Restaurants - easy daily booking system for a la carte and pretty good food - best for me was Crystal - went three times. Buffet restaurant also superb with a excellent selection of food. PS it also does pizza, chips and burgers if your on the brown diet!!

8. Casino - ok

9. Sports Bar - 24 hour drinking and eating (largely brown diet food) good for when the bars shut

Overall - I've traveled to a lot of quality hotels and would definitely go back - absolutely no issues

Any questons email

Room Tip: Room 909, 910,911
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank MellowmanEngland
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I booked My trip to the RIU palace Aruba in January barely a week in advance, and after reading some of the reviews, boy was a scared! from the airport to the palace is only about a 20 minuet drive at most, we were greeted with complimentary Shirley's and given a wrist band.
Although the meal times were not very flexible, the food was very good. The staff was exceptional, especially Rosa at the breakfast Buffet. The leek soup at Krystal was a memorial dish, and the surf & turf at the grill and steak house was amazing although the lobster was not top quality.
The beach was lovely, and we had no trouble finding chairs. The pool side gets busy so claim some chairs BEFORE you go to breakfast.
We had a room in the older part of the hotel, and trust me, it wasn't bad at all. We had a breath taking view of the sunrise over the mountains in the morning to the east, and a picturesque view of the ocean to the west.

The Jolly pirate snorkelling tour was absolute amazing!!! staff was wonderful, food was tasty, and most importantly, the snorkelling was great!
We visited an orphanage and donated school supplies, which is always a great way to give back to the locals.

At the next door hotel to the north they have a bird sanctuary which is amazing! every day at 11 am they feed the birds and let visitors interact with the animals, you must go at least once during your stay.

Be warned, the wind makes it cooler, which is nice, but it makes you forget about the always existing sun. wear lots of sun screen to avoid painful sunburns, and bring back up aloe vera gel or cream!

We are planning a trip to go again in July or August.

Room Tip: Don't go with a ground room, you risk break-ins. + there is a lot of bird poop on the patios of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jay x
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went to the Riu Palace Aruba from Saturday, May 25th through Saturday, June 1st. I'm a 33 year old single woman & was traveling with a 28 year old single woman on a "girls' trip." Here's the play-by-play.

airport, coming: We had no problems getting our luggage, getting out of the airport, or getting a cab. The ride was $25 to the hotels (it's the same price to all hotels in that area.)

the hotel: Overall, it was great & I'd definitely go back. There were some ups & downs, but the positives by far out weighed the negatives.
- check in - The process was pretty easy. We signed a bunch of papers, paid for the room, & got our Riu bracelets.
- the room - We'd reserved a Junior Suite in Building B (based on other people's recommendations.) We initially were put in a room facing southwest (toward the Westin) but it only had one king bed. We weren't able to switch the first night but moved to a room across the hall the next day. This room, 835, had a spectacular northwest view of the entire pool & beach. The rooms are clean & well decorated, but need some upgrading. The televisions (not that we really used it) aren't flat screens & all of the linens (sheets, towels, etc.) seemed extremely worn. Again, everything was clean & nice looking though. We couldn't figure out the air conditioning, which stayed at 20 degrees Celsius no matter what it was set at. Things get humid really quickly without the a/c though, so we just left it on. As everyone mentions in the reviews, the beds are extremely hard. I like a firm mattress, but these had no real cushioning. My friend requested a pillow top which never arrived, but she didn't care about it enough to follow up.
- the pool - Beautiful & incredibly big. There were always plenty of chairs even though people "reserved" them (left towels) very early in the morning. There's not a lot of shade. A few chairs have umbrellas you can open, but they're pretty sheer & still let in plenty of light. Areas of the pool get shade later in the day as the sun gets partially blocked by the hotel. There are activities at the pool a few times a day. It's always the same: water aerobics, dance lessons, games, etc. It's amusing the first day but gets a bit irritating since the music literally never changes from day to day. The pool bar was pretty quiet early in the day. It got busier in the late afternoon, especially as the hotel itself got more crowded with guests later in the week. It was never really overwhelming though.
- the beach - Like the pool, there were always plenty of beach chairs but if you want a little hut (for some shade) you have to get there super early. My friend & I are early risers, so that wasn't an issue for us but I can see how other people would find it frustrating. On the busier days, the huts were gone by 7:30. Again, there were always open chairs & plenty of non-hut shady spots. The water is cold but not terribly so & really buoyant so you can float with almost no effort. There's a huge roped off area in front of the hotel so swimmers are safe from boaters. You can rent rafts ($5 for the whole day, an AMAZING deal), jet skis, etc. from vendors on the beach. They all seemed perfectly legit & weren't pushy if you just happened to be walking by. The biggest downsides are the wind (it's STRONG & pretty constant some days, making a strong current in the water) & the sun, which was extremely intense. My friend & I, avid & experienced tanners, wore 30 SPF the whole trip (we tend more towards 15 & lower normally.) We both got burnt, but nothing too bad. Sunblock was extremely expensive at the hotel, so definitely bring more then you think you'll need.
- food - Almost everything we ate was surprisingly good. Like a typical New Yorker, I'm pretty into food & know good from bad. I came in with very low expectations but everything well exceeded them. Breakfast & lunch are buffets. The breakfast buffet had literally everything you could want. I won't even bother going into detail, it's literally everything. Some things were just alright, but most was very good & the fruit was always extremely ripe & delicious. I think there are actually two lunch buffet options, but we never bother double checking the main dining room. Instead, we stuck to the Nautilus restaurant which is right by the pool. The lunch was just okay, lots of prepared sandwiches & salads, hot dogs & hamburgers, that sort of thing. There are four "formal" restaurant options for dinner. You need to make a reservation in the morning for an either 6:30 or 9:00 seating. We only bothered doing this on our second night. We ate at the Nautilus steak restaurant. The food was fine, but not worth the effort of making the reservation or the annoyance of being stuck to a specific dinner time. We found it much more relaxing to simply eat at the dinner buffet every night so we could come & go at our leisure. There was always a salad bar, fruit station, meats, fish, pastas, etc. Dessert was never worth more than a nibble, but we were never hungry for it anyway.
- bars/nightlife (in the hotel) - There's really no hotel nightlife. The pool & its bar close pretty early (by 8:00 I'd guess.) There's a second outdoor bar that's open until (I think) 12:00 but the scene there was always very quiet. There's some kind of indoor theatre but we only peeked in - the "entertainment" looked terrible. We wandered through the casino but again it was pretty empty & the overwhelming smell of smoke would have kept us out anyway. There's a sports bar, but it's sort of hidden behind the theatre. We never ventured there at night & it was totally empty the couple of times we wandered in during the day.
- staff (tipping) - I brought about $50 in singles to use as tips throughout the trip. I probably spent about half on actual tipping. The staff was either friendly or (more commonly) totally indifferent to the guests. Our waiter at Nautilus was extremely nice, as were all of the housekeeping staff. Two bartenders at the outdoor bar (not the one by the pool) were also extremely nice & friendly. The rest of the staff just seemed to not care much either way. They brought you whatever you requested, but there was very little interaction, eye contact, conversation, etc. Tipping didn't have an effect on the level of service we received, so we stopped bothering after the first few days. We're pretty friendly girls & tend to talk to everyone we encounter, so the staff's lack of personality definitely wasn't from a lack of effort on our part. That all being said, the only people who were ever borderline rude were the front desk staff & even that wasn't all that bad. Overall, it would have been great if everyone on staff was friendly but it didn't particularly effect us that they weren't.
- guests - The guests were mainly young couples (some with very young children) or older couples (60+ years old, I'd guess.) We were expecting more groups around our ages, but there weren't many. That probably was the main cause of our disappointment with the nightlife.

excursions: We only did one excursion, $78 for 4 hours of snorkeling booked directly through the hotel. We left right from the dock on the beach by the hotel. There were about 50 people on a very large catamaran. The staff (three total) were all extremely friendly & fun. The boat stopped at a ship wreck, a reef, & an open water area that was more for just hanging out then actual snorkeling. We had lunch (cucumber & tomato salad, rice, fish, & chicken) which was pretty tasty. There was also an open bar. I'd definitely recommend this trip if you're looking for something laid back.

non-hotel nightlife: Again, we found this pretty non-existent. The Westin next door had a lot of good music during the late afternoon, but when we walked over in the evening it was silent. The other hotels along the beach all seemed the same way. The dock in the ocean right by the hotel has an outdoor bar with live music. We went there twice but didn't stay for more than one drink. Like the hotel guests, the people at the bar were either couples or 10/20 years older than us so it wasn't really our scene. We heard other guests talk about clubs in the area & we talked into going to Senior Frogs on our last night. It was exactly what I always pictured Senior Frogs would be, & apparently it's where all the "kids" hang out. If you're looking for a Spring Break experience, this is your spot.

airport, going: GET THERE EARLY! We left the hotel at about 12:00 for a 3:00 flight. It takes about 15 to get to the airport (there are plenty of cabs outside the hotel & the cost is $25 again.) Some of the airlines allow you to check in through a kiosk & then drop your bags at a counter. UNITED does NOT so you have to wait in line. We literally waited an hour just to check in for the flight. If you can print your boarding pass at your hotel, DO IT! If you're flying to the USA, you go through Aruba & America's customs before the flight, so be prepared. After dropping your checked luggage, you'll pick it up again later...just to drop it off again. There's a lot of waiting in line. The entire process literally took two hours, getting us to our gate 10 minutes before the flight started boarding (though still in plenty of time before take off.) There are a few snack/food options, but they're extremely expensive so be prepared ($6 for Chex mix, $3 for Gatorade.)

As I already said, overall, it was great & I'd definitely go back. There were some ups & downs, but the positives by far out weighed the negatives. I did a lot of research on all inclusive hotels before the trip & was pretty skeptical, but I'm very happy with our decision & would definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor in the B building facing northwest (pool & beach view.) You could he...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank NYCamy
Glen Rock, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent a wonderful four days here celebrating my son's wedding. The room, a junior suite with a gorgeous view of the pool and the ocean, was kept immaculately clean. We loved the food, especially the buffet, and also the Nautilus Steakhouse. The pool is absolutely wonderful, and I loved the swim-up bar. All of the arrangements for the wedding were handled with meticulous care, and we felt really special. Our only problems were that the pool ran out of towels one afternoon and that some of the promised planned activities never happened. All of the staff were friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Choose a junior suite- we loved jst sitting out on the balcony and enjoying the view, plus the whirl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Botziepotz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hello Travelers,

Aruba 5/21/13-5/27/13 Stayed at the Riu Palace (not so much a palace)

If you are a seasoned traveler then you will appreciate this review. If this is your first time out of the country and staying at an all inclusive on a Caribbean island then Aruba and this hotel will be amazing b/c you have nothing to compare it to. I have been all over the Caribbean. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and 3 star hotels...so I am not a snooty travelor. BUT when I pay for 5 star, I most Definitely expect 5 star accommodations.

The Jr Suite Room:
Bathrooms. NO bathtub upgrades (rust and cracks in the enamel)
The tv was old...the old bubble back tv
My remote control had 5 buttons...yes 5!
Linen and bed covers old
Room Service was limited...about 6 items on the menu. And when you called they were always out of something.
Beds were hard...But you can call for a pillow top.
WIFI is horrible...hit or miss.

Service:
-The front desk people not very helpful. After check-in We stood waiting for a broken elevator for 45min AND no one asked to help w/ our bags and they didn't bother telling us that there were different buildings..therefore, that elevator didn't even go to our room
-The Arubans were rude...not just at the hotel but on the whole island (so unfortunate). BUT the Dominicans in Aruba were extremely nice.
-If you want to reserve dinner at one of their resturants...they expect you to walk to EACH one to review the menu then go the front desk to make your reservation. The lady that sits there can not tell you what is on the menu. All this has to be done before 11am. I am on vacation why would i want to walk around the entire hotel to figure out each menu then walk up ALL those stairs to the lobby before 11?
-Wait staff not to friendly.

Beach:
YEs the beach is pretty. BUT you have OLD blue beach chairs ALL over the beach (killing the view) and NO one willing to take drink orders.
-nice white sand and pretty clear water
-limited huts (get there early to reserve one or you will bake in the sun like a CAlifornia Raisen)
Pool:
nice pool....HOWEVER, vomit stood in one of the pools and no one bothered to clean it up. Again...service was limited and lazy.
Pool Bar staff were nice. William was a nice bar guy.

Alcohol:
Good! Drinks here were good...some good liquor choices. I guess so....keep everyone drunk on good liquor so you can't focus on the other accomodations. lol
Food:
It was good. The buffet had a good variety. Mimosas and omelet station was a nice touch.

Aruba:
Taxi are a little pricey. Best if you rent a car (if your in a larger group). The hotel offers free parking. The island is only about 19miles long.
OK....here is the VERY unfortunate part about Aruba (well...other then the ppl are not very friendly). 2 sides of the island...one side you need a 4x4 to access ( i heard that is worth seeing we didn't have time to do that) THe other side has it's white sand beaches. BUT we went to 2 of their MUST SEE beaches... BABY BEACH....which is not only by the PRISON, but on your right you will have a view of the Oil refinery. YES! you are on this beautiful white sand beach but you can not look to your right....b/c the Oil refinery is literlly next door. Not to mention the scent of oil in the air. AGAIN...the ppl were rude, and wanted $47 to rent an umbrella thing and 2 chairs. OR the chairs were $8 a piece. Bring a blanket to save money...or your own chairs.
We went on a Island excrusion...yes it cost $100....and it too has a nice view of factories. One side you face white sand beaches and the other a factory. for the $100 you got free food, drinks, snorkel. That was nice...if you didnt turn around to look at the factory. The staff was nice (the venezuelan bar guys). My friends did snuba and they enjoyed it.
-CAlifornia light house is a must see. There is a beautiful resturant up there you can watch the sunset. We had drinks on their patio it was beautiful. Also the beaches on side of the island were beautiful...no factory views or Prisons! Just white sand and nice views.

CAR RENTAL;
Go see Henry at Hertz in the Westin hotel. HE was the ONLY friendly native we met. He was super great!!! hands down a nice guy!

I was in a group of 6 woman...in our 30's...so you would think that at least the men would be nice. lol. Oh well! We had a great time...making the best of it. BUT none of us would go back....not for that money. Aruba is expensive....and unfortunatly not worth it. I love Mexico and the DR...ppl are nice the beaches are great, and the price is right!

Room Tip: pay alittle more and get a penthouse....a friend had that room and her veiw was amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mel20011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,293 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,592 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,355 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!