“Would definitely return!”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First off, I must say that my wife and I were very disappointed in the LIARS that write bad posts about the RIU. Either they have nothing else better to do or were extremely spoiled growing up and fed with a silver spoon.

We stayed at the RIU Palace Aruba from April 17-28th and had such a wonderful time. The temps were consistently in the 90's and we only have a total of about 2 mins worth of sprinkles on us. Sunny most of the time, but overcast a couple days (misleading because sun was making it through the clouds). The breezes were probably a constant 15-20MPH, but let me tell you, you get use to it very quickly and thank god for the wind. If there was no wind, people would start frying like bacon.

The hotel room: We didn't spend much time there so didn't pay too close of attention. Bed was nice and stiff, but requested a pad for the bed and then bed was very soft and comfortable. Room was spacious enough and maid service was excellent.

Food: My wife HATES buffets and actually enjoyed the breakfast buffet and any of the dinners. We made it down early enough on the days we wanted to make reservations for the specialty restaurants without any issues. All restaurants provided more than enough quantity and quality in food, never left disappointed. The Sports Bar was an added bonus for anytime snacking.

Beverages: While there wasn't much top shelf selection, the bar tenders did their absolute best at making quality drinks. Any drink requested, they had a variation of it. ALL bar tenders were super friendly and enjoyed engaging in conversation. Carlos and Martha were excellent for our evening bar needs. Felix and the ladies were awesome when at the pool bar during the day. For any babies that complain about not getting enough alcohol in their drinks, all you need to do is be polite and ask. Felix absolutely LOVED trying to make my drinks stronger than I could handle, and succeeded a few times.

There probably is not enough time or words to explain how much I really did enjoy the RIU and Aruba in general. I will likely go back for visits in the future and would not hesitate to suggest that others also go check it out. All in all, the island is friendly and the climate is excellent.

4  Thank bntrabe
Write a ReviewReviews (6,360)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just came back yesterday from Aruba.

This hotels is rated in some places as a 5*, id say more of a 4 or 4 1/2*, just because there seems like a bit of updating that is a needed. Arriving you will have your rep there, they take your luggage in a separate truck then you so don't be alarmed. The information meeting is a must because things are different, meaning, your luggage must be in the lobby before your departure time or you will have to take your own taxi to the airport which is 25usd.

The lobby is very grand and the casino decent but there is one tiny store for essentials. Good part is that just outside to the left of the hotel is a strip where you can shop and dine. The Westin which has an updated first and lower floor are updated and have shops for jewelry and souvenirs.

The Westin is right beside the hotel and there is some traffic from there but not intrusive.

Beach
The beach is waving so not great for snorkelling. The beach towels are worn, some stained. You have to be up by 6am if you want a hut bc people reserve them with towels, annoying part is that some don't show up until after breakfast and the hotel doesn't enforce the no reserving. The sand is soft. There is beach volleyball and fun!

There are no beach washrooms and you will need to go to the restaurant by the beach to use the facilities, slightly inconvenient depending where on the beach you are located.

Rooms
The rooms are clean and the maids are nice. They make animals with towels but use fake flowers, kind of cheesy. They do not clean the patio. We spilt some soda and had ants, so be careful. Our outside rack was broken so drying stuff was challenging especially on windy days. They fill up the mini fridge with plenty of stuff, water, soda and beer. There is a bottle dispenser with rum and the like which they refill if you go empty. There was an ice machine on one floor, first floor so the rooms above have a journey.

The rooms are not sound proof and the doors slam shut so sleeping in is not always possible and you can here people walking and talking when they pass by. I do not suggest a room on the first floor where there is a lot of traffic.

They also have tiny pillows and old bed covers. So no pillow selection options. There was a couch/sofa in our room which was stinky and a but rancid.

I also suggest building A or B as some rooms at building C overlook the Westin's back area where they store garbage and can be loud and the view sucks.

A la Cartes
The a la Cartes were very tasty. There are only two booking times, 6:30 and 9 pm, and you have to go the day of to reserve. Visits are unlimited to these but reservations start at 8am day off and can sometimes get busy.

Buffet
The buffets are good and have a variety. Coffee is very strong. The Nautilis for lunch is good too but updating is needed since the doors to the middle area do not close properly and did see birds having lunch at times! So be wary.

There is also a sports bar which has snacks, sandwiches and nachos all day.

Bars
There is a bar by the lobby, inside and outside, times vary. Here is a beach bar also.

Pool
There is a large pool which is always busy. Water was warm when we went in.

The weather is hot and humid so if you burn, apply and reapply.

Overall, our trip was great and fun. The hotel was clean and decent but not luxury level so I'd pay accordingly.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Yollm123
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We came for a long weekend with the girls to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Overall, the staff is extremely pleasant and seems like they want to help you. High marks go to Robert, a waiter in the outdoor cocktail area just outside the hotel lobby. Friendly, smiling and helpful with advice on what we could and should check out. The pool area is lovely, although get your towel early (they ran out 2 days I was here). If you're an environmentalist, you might also cringe at the number of disposable plastic cups they use -- although I suspect this is not unique to the Riu. Food is plentiful. Our favorite was the morning breakfast buffet in the Don Nicholas. Everything you could want, and then some. Rooms leave a bit to be desired. There were five of us split into 2 rooms. For the 3-person room, the two beds were slightly oversized twins that had been pushed together. Slightly ridiculous in a room meant to sleep 4 adults. We just reminded ourselves that we weren't going to spend much time in the room. We were here for the beach, which was absolutely gorgeous. Water in May is warm, and there were plenty of lounge chairs. Occasionally, waitstaff make their way to the beach as well and pass out piña coladas and other fruity drinks. The attached spa is fine, but I would recommend checking out the spa at the Marriott or Westin instead -- both of which see

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Aruba is one of the best beaches I have ever seen in the Caribbean.
You cannot go wrong with choosing Aruba as the destination. Weather always hot, perfect but windy.

Riu Palace all inclusive: I stayed at Riu Palace (Palm Beach) Aruba mid April, 2013. Everything was super. Food very good at this resort. LOTS of variety from the main buffet restaurant.
Staff friendly, speak English well!!! Location of hotel is excellent. 15 min bus ride from Airport. Beaches are public, can walk anywhere to different resorts. This area/beach where Riu hotel is localed, is also called Malmok Beach http://www.aruba.com/things-to-do/malmok-beach If you're on a budget there are about 15+ hotels along this shore including less expensive ones like Holiday In, Radisson, Marriot, Westin, Divi (http://www.aruba.com/where-to-stay) some of which are much more cost effective. (same amazing beach)

I would return back to the Riu Palace. It's a 5 star resort but rooms need some updating. I would not say that the inside of the room I stayed in (Building C) is a 5 star room. Our room had no phone until we asked, no iron, old TV, weird bed automated mattress, bathrooms need some upgrades but everything is clean!!!! Premium Alcohol. Lots of entertainment during day. There is not much entertainment happening at night. Spa and gym is located in Building C. I was told building A and B might be more $$ and upgraded but have to check on that. Safe in room, mini bar, coffee maker etc.. Hotel is about 10 storeys high, elevators. Main buffet is all we ever ate for dinner and never even booked a la cartes. It's in the centre, building A.
Hotel is divided into 3 buildings (Like U shape facing beach) Not many bathrooms NEAR the beach part of the hotel. Lots of shade by pool and ocean but people left their stuff/towels reserving it. I found this resort to be really family oriented and couples like most.

There is no way to control the AC temperature in your room. AC works we just couldnt lower it because it was getting too cold at night. It was BLASTING in our room. If it needs to be adjusted lower/higher to make it warmer or colder you have to tell the front desk and hope someone comes in to adjust it for you. It's just disabled and I guess guests can't control it?

WARNING re: PHONE: My canadian phone did NOT switch networks and was complete off (NO SERVICE) and not able to make any calls from my cell at all. Bring unlocked phone and get sim card there if need cell phone service or rent/buy phone or bring calling cards. Free WIFI login for guests. Apps!!!

Would return and would recommend this resort to my family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tanned1
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We do not have one complaint that resembles some of the previous posts. The front desk staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Everything was clean and well kept. The buffet was always fresh, even when we went during the last hour. The Steak Restaurant had a wonderful view of the sunset and attentive waiters. The steak was great, but I was not a fan of the seafoood appetizer or lobster tail that went with it, (If you dont want sour cream on your potato be sure to tell them when you order) No problem getting chair at the pool or beach, but we were there at the end of the season. Yes, we tipped ,$1-2 at the buffet if warranted and also at the bars, especially the busy servers at the pool bar. I would totally recommend this RIU with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Keep the AC on to avoid condensation on the tile floors. Higher rooms may be quieter (guests were no...
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at the RIU (Timeshare Room 552) from 4/26/13 to 5/3/13. First while checking in, they asked if you were a timeshare or hotel. When we told them Timeshare, they said and pointed, you have to go to the corner. They make timeshare people feel like second class people.

The room was very old, disgusting, outdated, filthy with hairs in the bathtubs. Old small tube type TV's. To top it off, while looking in the microwave, it had a manufacturing date of 1988. This in itself tells you how old the outdated rooms are. After speaking to a a timeshare owner at the resort, he said, that they do not want timeshare people there. They want to get rid of the timeshares and convert them into hotel rooms so they can make more money.
The staff are not very friendly at this resort.
The beach is nice. However, the Tiki Huts are in much need of repair. Holes in most of them. When it rains you will get wet with water leaking in through them. Beach staff are not very helpful.
The reason I stayed here, was I had to cancel my week at my timeshare and traded into this one. I will never stay at the RIU again. If you want to stay in a timeshare room, do not stay here, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
4  Thank ArubaAloeMan
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Aruba, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. I have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Aruba was by far one of the best destinations I have gone to in the Caribbean. It is well worth going off the resort and checking it out on your own.

The resort itself had great service and wonderful food. The rooms were a bit more outdated than some of the other riu palaces that I have gone to. However, the overall experience was great.

I would return again.