“Not one complaint!”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Balto
“Not one complaint!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We do not have one complaint that resembles some of the previous posts. The front desk staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Everything was clean and well kept. The buffet was always fresh, even when we went during the last hour. The Steak Restaurant had a wonderful view of the sunset and attentive waiters. The steak was great, but I was not a fan of the seafoood appetizer or lobster tail that went with it, (If you dont want sour cream on your potato be sure to tell them when you order) No problem getting chair at the pool or beach, but we were there at the end of the season. Yes, we tipped ,$1-2 at the buffet if warranted and also at the bars, especially the busy servers at the pool bar. I would totally recommend this RIU with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Keep the AC on to avoid condensation on the tile floors. Higher rooms may be quieter (guests were no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Port St, Lucie, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at the RIU (Timeshare Room 552) from 4/26/13 to 5/3/13. First while checking in, they asked if you were a timeshare or hotel. When we told them Timeshare, they said and pointed, you have to go to the corner. They make timeshare people feel like second class people.

The room was very old, disgusting, outdated, filthy with hairs in the bathtubs. Old small tube type TV's. To top it off, while looking in the microwave, it had a manufacturing date of 1988. This in itself tells you how old the outdated rooms are. After speaking to a a timeshare owner at the resort, he said, that they do not want timeshare people there. They want to get rid of the timeshares and convert them into hotel rooms so they can make more money.
The staff are not very friendly at this resort.
The beach is nice. However, the Tiki Huts are in much need of repair. Holes in most of them. When it rains you will get wet with water leaking in through them. Beach staff are not very helpful.
The reason I stayed here, was I had to cancel my week at my timeshare and traded into this one. I will never stay at the RIU again. If you want to stay in a timeshare room, do not stay here, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
4 Thank ArubaAloeMan
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Aruba, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. I have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Aruba was by far one of the best destinations I have gone to in the Caribbean. It is well worth going off the resort and checking it out on your own.

The resort itself had great service and wonderful food. The rooms were a bit more outdated than some of the other riu palaces that I have gone to. However, the overall experience was great.

I would return again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

You will have a great time.
Great food, service and staff!!!

Going AI you picked the right place.
We have family members that have a timeshare at Occidental, and let me just say you can NOT compare the food that is being served at Occidental to RIU.

You will not be disappointed!

We have been going since they opened up and the service and food has been great.

You will never be left waiting with an empty glass in your hand.

Room Tip: Building A and B are the new buildings and try to pick those.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Arubakid99
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Let me start by saying that I've been to many AI resorts in Dominican, Cuba, Jamaica and Mexico, and for the first time, Aruba.

All are a little different, each with its advantages, depending on what your preferences are.

Aruba, by its nature, is the best destination I've been to for certain things. The gorgeous beach, warm, clear water, proximity to safe walking/shopping/downtown - is by far the best i've experienced.

The RIU itself featured friendly staff, was very clean, and was the best food I've ever experienced at an AI. We stayed in the oldest building i believe (the one to the right as you walk down the central staircase) - it was simple, a little dated, but clean and had a fridge stocked with beer and in-room rum, vodka, scotch and water. We had an 8th floor beautiful ocean view - a tiny french balcony but we weren't there for that.

Everyone has a different take on this, but I feel better about tipping here and there. Friendly staff, of course, will become a tad friendlier and you'll generally get faster service at the bars. No surprise there. I should note though that without tipping , I didn't notice a significant drop in friendliness or service levels so kudos to the staff.

As a comparison, by far my favourite resort for room and resort layout was the Excellence in Cancun. Rooms were way above par (in room jacuzzi / walk in shower, large balcony,etc), and it was more spread out, meaning it was quieter, which i like. The RIU's design means everything's more centralized around the 1 pool, and it's therefore quite busy near the pool bar and fairly loud, particularly when larger groups and generally louder people decide they can be as obnoxious as they want, taking certain spots hostage for their stay, which is what occurred the week i was there Apr 20-27. One main group from Chicago dominated, much to the obvious chagrin of others. In fact, one of these group members commented to us that she's "apologizing in advance for her group". Nice. But here's my issue. And btw, trust me - i'm no teetotalling prude - I get that the poolbar will be livelier. But there's no real need to be constantly yelling and screaming drunkenly, or in one case, exposing one's junk in an attempt to be funny (it's true - a seemingly 'roided up dude actually did that - and there were kids nearby)

In any event, that isn't the fault of the resort, it's the thoughtlessness of the group.

Bu overall, a fantastic resort - here are a few more thoughts:

*If you want a shaded hut on the beach, you better get up about 7am to reserve it.

*If you're looking to see the island and want the security of a group but with some independence, go on a guided Jeep tour that you drive yourself.. You can also rent a Jeep and go it alone.

*I tried to book a Jeep tour but it was all sold out. I then opted to rent an ATV for the day from Melchor's - an off site operator near the super mall place about 5 minutes from the resort. It was by far the best excursion I've ever taken, but it may not be for you if you like the security of a group, and you like things a little less "rugged" (you need to drive on the main roads to get anywhere which may be intimidating for some). For me it was fantastic as I loved the freedom - it's nearly impossible to get lost since it's a small island (plus they provide a map), and I drove to Baby beach in the morning, and then to the california lighthouse in the afternoon. Rugged, beautiful and a hell of a lot of fun. I also stopped at a few non tourist spots/beaches in between. $100 for the entire day, plus $10 in gas to fill it back up. What a deal.

*I felt a bit crowded around the pool/beach, but that's just a preference. Some people like that type of critical mass

*Best food for me was Italian - went twice -excellent antipasto bar.

*No issues with ice/water, and buffet eats were top notch, with excellent produce, fruit and vegetables. (i personally ate about a thousand kiwi last week)

*It pains me a bit to see Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's and such, but I get it. Some folks like the familiarity of it I suppose.

*We went to The Sopranos Piano Bar about 5 minutes from the RIU. Was fantastic. Wish it wasn't branded that way, but i think one of the show's producers owns it or something.

*Ironically, you won't find Aloe products in the supermarkets the locals go to. It's a tourist thing I suppose. You can find it , however, in the new super mall place I mentioned near Melchor's ATV rental place.

Any questions for me, I'd be happy to answer!
r

Room Tip: Want an ocean view, get a high floor obviously!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Donnybrook_13
Bayville, New Jersey
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a wonderful week at this resort from3/3 to3/10 2013 .The Food is good at the buffet&at the Restaurants. Our Room was always cleaned and the service was great.The Beach was nice its always breezy to cool you off from the hot sun.

Room Tip: top floor building A we stayed in room1008
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peter w
Nebraska
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Riu Palace is a wonderful place to stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel. We were on the 9th floor and had a great view of the ocean. Each night we would go to the bar in the Lobby and get drinks and have a great talk with the bartender Freddy, who was very entertaining. As for the food, it was very good with a lot of variety.

There was only one person at customer service who wasn't very friendly but the rest of the staff was great.

The next time we come to Aruba - we are staying here.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean on the 9th floor
2 Thank AH68164
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!