“Not a five star but no big complaints” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
PA
“Not a five star but no big complaints”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just returned from a five night stay at the Riu. There were 4 couples in our group and all of us had pretty much the same opinion. It was not the best all-inclusive but it wasn't the worst either. Before we left I checked the reviews had had some trepidations with some of the comment that were made but we trust our travel agent and she was pretty accurate in her descriptions. This was our first time in Aruba and most of us found the island itself a great destination. Two of our group found the constant wind to be very annoying but without it I think the heat would be pretty unbearable. Beaches were great, you can walk for miles and there is a walkway that takes you past all the other resorts right on the beach. We took a tour of the island which was offered by the cab driver who took picked us up at the airport. Was great...like a private tour. Also the Butterfly exhibit which is within walking distance is a nice experience.

As for the resort itself, it's pretty average. We did not experience any of the horrible conditions other travelers reported. Our rooms were clean everyday. Yes, the beds were hard but huge..and we actually slept pretty well on them. The one thing that did bother me a little was the constant musty smell but I don't know what the resort could do about it. Most places in the Caribbean seem to have that issue. The pool could use some upkeep but it's clean...no big complaints there. Food was actually a bit better than average for an all inclusive. We tried all of the speciality restaurants...yes you do have to make reservations at 9:00 in the lobby...and we all had our favorites. Mine was the Italian. As for entertainment it's the usual...nothing to write home about. Excerpt for the guy who led the aqua Zumba classes at the pool. Worth the trip ladies. :-)
One more little complaint I had was their Internet service. It's a very weird setup where I had to take my iPad to the front desk and they punched in codes until they found one that worked. Also most times it's extremely slow so be prepared for that.
So all in all we enjoyed ourselves, had no big issues and would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in the older section on the 6th floor with an ocean view...was a fabulous view too
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank PaSunlover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brooklin, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I just returned from Riu Palace and would recommend it in a heartbeat! This was my first time to Aruba and I was travelling with my 13 year old daughter. I wanted a vacation that was all-inclusive, safe and luxurious - We got all that plus more!

The island & especially the beaches were breathtaking and the people were extremely friendly.

Everything you might be looking for is available at your hotel doorstep in the Palm Beach area and the Riu looked like one of the best hotels to me. In there immediate area, there are amazing restaurants, shopping and even the commercial comforts of home, if that's what you're looking for (like Starbucks and other restaurant chains)

While we were there, we also did 2 excursions: an island 4X4 Tour (ABC Jeep Safari) and horseback riding (Rancho Notorious). Both were safe, well-managed, tons of fun and worth every penny.

I can't wait to go back again :-)

P.S. Get the ocean view if you can, it's breathtaking!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christine D
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ratings are given for a reason, one is it protects the traveller when choosing to spend a great deal of money! Signature you should take a better look and downgrade this rating. The first room had an appalling bed that would not keep air. We changed rooms after asking the front desk first thing in the morning to fix it. Finally after going back 6 pm to say this was not attended to they finally sent someone at 9 pm at which time they deemed the bed broken. On day three they finally moved us to the pool view partial ocean view. The box spring is ripped and disgusting but at least it doesn't loose air.!! The tile on bathroom floor missing a huge chunk and this had not been repaired for some time. Yes the TV needs to been thrown out as well. The bedspread is so ratty and over used. The rooms in C block definitely need to be refurbished I would say this block is no more than 3 star. The towels are great large and In good shape. A good nights sleep is part of the reason I get away and paid big money, and I'm sorry this is absolutely not the case. How can you sleep when they provide such horrible beds? Remember they claim 5 star. And I booked for 12 days!!
The staff is amazing kind, hard working, respectful they are 5 star!
I wish the hotel would not allow smoking just anywhere. Speaking for my family we try to remain healthy and find it so disrespectful when you are at the pool and someone lights up in front of you so that you can breath In their secondhand smoke which we know is worse than smoking yourself. Riu please take notice of Canada's changing standards, it makes such a pleasant difference for those who have chosen not to smoke.
The food is very good lots of choices at the buffet, fresh vegetables fruit, cheese meat whatever you could want it's here! The specialty restaurants at very good too! I have no complaints At all about food and choices definitely good value for the money.
The pool and beach are 5 star, the beach loungers very hard and u comfortable but no different than any other resort here bring a pad if you wish to lay on the beach .
We Love Aruba and will always choose this Island because of the people and climate but please either state on the website which rooms are 5 star and which are not this way you will avoid a paying customers dissatisfaction and we get what we pay for! I'm here till the 10th. I would love to here from someone as we were hoping to come back with our children and grandchildren, 7 adults and 4 grandchildren Feb 2014.

• Stayed February 2013
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was absolutely gob smacked when we arrived and found our room, it was horrendous! It was like a university dorm, the room was filthy the bathroom was shocking black skirting boards, filthy bath or should I say a pig trough dirty cracked toilet and the noisiest bed I have ever had the miss fortune of sleeping on, no balcony just room railings, I immediately went to reception to complain and was again gob smacked at the rudeness of the receptionist. The rep didn't know what to do. We are rid gold card holders so always use this chain if possible you are supposed to know what you are getting and they class their accommodation, having stayed in palace's on many occasion I was expecting something completely different, the hotel is in 3 blocks A,B, and C, block C is the oldest part and used to be time share building baring in mind this hotel only opened 4 yrs ago block C should be condemned!! When I complained the receptionist told me that Aruba is the only palace that doesn't have junior suits as standard and I quote her very words Aruba is not cheap it is the most expensive island and all the others holidays we have had have been cheap ones, I then asked our rep to sort out our room or get us on a flight home immediately that's how bad the room was, filthy a noises bed a discussing bathroom and a telly that looked like something my Nanna had in the early sixties, it was the dirty room and no balcony that really got to me. The other thing it was only British holiday makers that were in C block, the hotel was apprently fully booked so nothing could be done, my husband and I did not unpack, we also did not need to be told how expensive it was to go there as we had paid a lot of money as had many other holiday makers. The following day they realised we where gold card holders and said we could change to another block after a couple of nights when a room became free, that and me demanding the rep get us a flight home got us a move, other British guests complained they eventually got moved but not out of that block, also only one lift was working it took on average 20 mins to get to and from your room. Now for the positive's Aruba is one of the prettiest islands ever it is 20 miles long, 6miles wide has it's own Ecco system is very clean and the air is almost pure and you can drink the water, it is expensive to eat and drink outside of your hotel, it is a very affluent place, I would recommend Aruba to anyone but make sure you know what room you are getting before you go and avoid C block at all cost's.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mozza2716
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Dear Travelers,

I decided together with my wife to have my vacations in Aruba and stay at Riu Palace Hotel on January 2013.
Before going there, I check many comments at the trip advisor that were very useful.
I was well prepared. But first of all, I was on vacation.
I spent 7 nights at this wonderful hotel.
There were some comments regarding the C block and the French Balcony.
In my opinion, it is one of the best views from the sunset that you can get from the hotel.
I was at the room nr 848. The room is not pretty new and of course some amenities could be updated like the TV.
Nevertheless the room is big with a generous closet and a mini bar full with beverage every day or any time that you want, just press “9”.
What I really like from this hotel was the friendly services from the beginning to the end.
I had the pleasure to meet the General Manager Carlos S. and he and his team made my stay very pleasant.
The food from all the restaurants are fantastic, especially the Kristal restaurant and the main buffet that I strongly recommend.
I heard something regarding humidity at the rooms. In my room I used to let the window opened the entire day and switch on the air conditioning during the night.
This system worked pretty well to me.
Sometime 1 of the 2 lifts from the C block was not working, but immediately I saw some guys from maintenance working on the problem.
The pool area and the pool itself are amazing, time to time someone use to offer some drinks to everybody.
If you want to stay at the sun side the entire day, grab your chair near the C block, otherwise, stay near the B Block where the restaurant near the beach is.
I strongly recommend to use sunscreen every time and if your sun blocker is on spray, do it in your room, remember that despite the strong sun's still windy at the island.
I could book the restaurants every night. My tip is the following, they used to open the reservation at 09:00 am, go there at 09:10 or 09:15. There will be no line at this time.
The hotel itself, the garden, the friendly services, food, beverage and the location were fantastic.
I know that I am sound to positive and not so critical at my comment. This reflect exactly what I experienced there, so there is nothing bad to say, only good things.
I hope this kind of services and environment that I could feel maintain the entire year.
Certainly I want to come back.
Please enjoy my pictures. I hope that my opinion could help you in your future decision.
Until my next report.

Regards,

GM

Room Tip: The C Blook is with the French balcony, despite the less space at the balcony, it has a wonderful vi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank gmactrip
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Worst hotel everrr!! The key would not open the door to our room so we had our room changed because the door had problems.. (we had to go back and forth with our luggage because there was NOBODY to help us with it) once we got into our 2nd room it smelled very strong as someone had been smoking (it was a non smoking room), the bathroom lights were not working and we had payed for ocean view and definately we had pool view.. nobody could help us.. we called everyone.. so we left.. and changed hotels.. we went to the Hyatt, were we had been couple of times before and is BY FAR a better hotel.. starting with a way better service and rooms.. worst experience EVER with Riu Aruba.. only good thing about Riu is that we got our money back!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Portu30
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Riu for our honeymoon December 17 - 22. We had an amazing time. It was our first time to Aruba and we were blown away by the friendliness of everyone on the island. From taxi drivers to the bartenders, it was such a great vibe. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort, but we had talked to a lot of people who have been to all-inclusive hotels all over the place. I can see why some people might give the Riu some negative reviews because if you are looking for very high class, 5-star service, this probably isn't the right place. We just wanted a place where we could relax, not worry about carrying our money around with us (or worrying about a super high bill at the end of the week), and the Riu truly had everything we were looking for. We had no issues getting beach or pool chairs, although some people seemed to be very frustrated when they came down at noon and needed to move chairs together (I guess what do you expect?). I think there are plenty of things at any hotel you can nitpick about, but if you are laid back, looking for a nice pool and beach, good food, friendly staff and as many drinks as you want - you'll like the Riu :) I must say, we really liked the food! But we also decided to get away for one night and went to the Flying Fishbone which is about 25 minutes away by taxi. Definitely go there if you get the chance! We ate right on the water with our toes in the sand... I loved it.

We will definitely be going back to Aruba as soon as we have the chance and would definitely stay at the Riu again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple