“Great Holiday”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bromborough
“Great Holiday”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Riu Palace Hotel in Aruba in room 901. We booked a Jacuzzi suite, which cost quite a bit more, but was very well worth it. The Jacuzzi was on the very large balcony and we could lie there with a drink looking out to sea watching the sunset. The rooms have a mini bar (stocked daily) and an optics bar containing litre bottles of 4 branded spirits. We very much enjoyed the hotel and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Plenty of sunbeds both round the pool and on the beach. Great choice of food and all of it well cooked and presented. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but if you can afford it, get a Jacuzzi room.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building as they all have spectacular sea views.
4 Thank DaveWBromborough

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked our trip via First Choice and found the process really straight forward, we were really happy with the hotel, we had a 10th floor room in block B overlooking the overlooking the pool and sea, huge room and great view. The hotel was spotless, the staff friendly, A/C worked well, in room fridge and drinks spot on, bed was really comfortable and food in all outlets was good. We ate in Sayuri, Japanese restaurant which was really nice, also in Krystal, the Fusion Restaurant, again really good, we also ate in Nautlius - steak restaurant, not so good... the buffet breakfast lunch and dinner was really good too! We also ate out on 2 evenings, going to Papillon and Aqua Grill - both within walking distance of the Riu. We booked 2 trips with our Rep and they were good, Baby Beach Jeep tour and the Submarine Trip. The island is great as you can leave the hotel and feel really safe, turn left out of the Riu for Bars Shops and Restaurants, even though the Riu is all inclusive its nice to try a few alternatives :). We popped over to the Hyatt Beach front Bar for Drinks and then to Bugaloo's Bar on the pier next to the Riu - they have bands etc playing overall - a great island, friendly people, good food, good weather and good shopping - you can't go wrong with the Riu or Aruba! It is windy which is a good thing given the temperature so, hairbands a must, towel clips are nice to have! Also we would go to the beach really early every day, 7am - 12.00noon - which meant we got a lounger and shade cover and could go down town in the afternoon, worked well for us! :)

Room Tip: High floor a must!
1 Thank catsaffron79
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Let me start by saying I am very hard to please and always am looking for 5 star worthy accomodations. I don't normally stay at all-inclusive resorts unless traveling with children and have heard good reviews. Needless to say, due to me traveling with children I was advised to stay at the RIU by my travel agent but she made it clear that w/o the children the Hilton would suit me better. My first impression of the RIU was comfortable and well maintained. However my room was a different story. Broken drawers, filthy dirty couch in living room area (which I made sure the children or myself did not sit on, and no hot water from time to time was a problem. I normally would've complained but I already waited over 4hrs to be checked into this room & yes it was past check-in time (fyi-I wasn't the only one waiting). Pool was a great size for everyone and grounds were clean. Location was great, within walking distance of pretty much everything. All inclusive food & drinks were just ok. Next time I travel to Aruba, I would much rather go to a non all-inclusive resort & eat out every night. Soenchi's had the BEST lobster I've ever had!!! Can't wait to go back just to eat there again. Also tried Flow Riding (surfing on a man made wave) near shopping center and although it was pretty awesome, I was very sore within 20mins of finishing 2 sessions (fyi-never surfed a day in my life). Don't think I would do it again unless 10-15yrs younger but experience was pretty cool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris T
Leeds UK
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We too had the the problem with the Brazillian footballers, rude and loud and which certainly demolished our hopes of a 5* star holiday and the chances of a perfect surrounding for our sons wedding on the beach. Apparently they come every year so make sure these ignorant people are not staying at the same time you visit. This was 'mob rule' and all you received from the management was lip service! In the bar they were chanting and had drums banging all night long.

When they all went home we had 5 days of bliss, relaxed atmosphere, excellent dining, just how a 5* should be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank PARA251
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just come back from the Riu Palace Aruba and would like to say we had a very nice two week break. I would like to point out that when we got there we were put in Building C and our room which was at the back had plaster off the wall but worse then that the patio door glass had come out of the frame and was big enough to put your hand through. We were moved temporarily over night and in the morning was put on the 6th floor overlooking the pool and beach. The staff at the reception were lovely and helpful and once in the new room we were very happy but we had not unpacked for 36 hours which was not good. We had heard that the beds were hard, but all three of the rooms we were in had soft top mattresses on so that was good.

The food in the buffet restaurant is extremely good. There is something for everyone. The staff in the restaurant are pleasant and helpful. The Italian restaurant was very good as well with the waiting staff again very nice and attentive and the atmosphere nice. The nautalus restaurant was not so nice. The atmosphere was non existent with no music and the food overcooked or reheated. The Sushi restaurant was also good but the staff were rushed and the atmosphere not as good as the Italian. My biggest complaint about the al a carte restaurants is that you have to book on the day you wish to be there and queue up in reception and also there are two sittings. 6.30 and 9.00. 6.30 is too early for most and 9.00 is sometimes not convenient if you want to see the show or walk into the town.

The beach is lovely and is much nicer to be on then the pool because the pool is rowdy and noisy and I am afraid to say that some clients got into the pool at ten in the morning and drank all day until 5 in the afternoon. Some of the clients did not even get out of the pool for toilet breaks !!!

If you want a sunshade on the beach you have to get up at 6.30 am and wait for the beach attendants to give you a beach chair. Some clients were reserving the beach sunshades with a towel the night before, which is not fair.

I do not think the hotel should let some clients take beer cans and alcholic drinks into the sea they would stand up to their waists in the water and when they got out left straws and plastic cups in the sea and on the beach.

I would go back to the Riu Palace because Aruba is a lovely safe happy Island. The hotel clean. The food great. The staff helpful and attentive.

Word of warning dont bother with the Spa. I had a facial there and it was hurried and I did not feel relaxed at all. Its not cheap. I did not feel I had had a good experience.

Top tips for clients are:
Make sure you check your room before unpacking and if you have an old room that smells and is in need of renovation go straight to reception and complain.
Ladies take hair bands or hats because it is very windy (which is not a problem because it is so hot) but your hair blows all over your face if you do not.
Take towel clamp if you can as its so windy the towels blow away.
Go on the beach rather then the pool as some clients are rowdy and get drunk and make the pool not such a nice place to be.

Room Tip: Try to get in the newer block not block C which is very old. Make sure you check the mattress for...
2 Thank tina r
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My Husband and I selected the RIU Palace Aruba for our Honeymoon spot between September 17th-22nd and LOVED it! We stayed at an Ocean Suite -- the view was PRICELESS every morning, definitely worth the extra money for the upgrade!

We had a minor issue getting our safe to work when we first arrived; however, someone came right up and fixed it for us. Other than that, we have no complaints whatsoever!

The food is AMAZING! They have four specialty restaurants, Japanese, Steakhouse, Gourmet, and Italian. We actually only ate at one of the specialty restaurants (the Japanese, which was quite good!) only because we loved the variety of the buffet - and my husband eats a lot, lol. It was delicious every night! We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast, amazing every morning, ate at Nautilus (by the pool/beach) for lunch every day, which also had a great variety!

The Sports Bar was open 24 hours, and they also had fruit, sandwiches, hotdogs, nachos, popcorn in there, so if you didn't eat enough for dinner or wanted a late night snack, they had you covered!

Drinks were also very good! Definitely weren't shy with the alcohol in each drink, which was great for us! They actually have some "premium" bottles there too (absolute, tanguery, beefeater, etc), so if you really wanted additional liquor content, you could get it, just have to ask.

The pool and beach were amazing! We got chairs every morning (you can't expect to head there after 10am and get a spot, though). The water in the sea and pool were clean and just perfect.

The location of the hotel was also ideal! Only like 15 minutes from the airport, and a 5 minute walk to little shops/restaurants/bars, which we went to our last night in Aruba.

The staff were very helpful and friendly! Aruba truly is one happy place!!!

Our only issue is that we only went for 5 nights instead of 10 nights - but we'll know better for next time!!

Thanks RIU for an AMAZING honeymoon!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building (ocean suites) are the best!
2 Thank mcman1hm
Shrewsbury
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I visited this hotel in June 2012 which was a present from myself to my mum for her 70th Birthday. We stayed in Building C and had a corner room on the top floor which overlooked both the pool and the sea the position of the room was fantastic but as other people have mentioned the rooms in this block need renovating. The food at the hotel was superb the staff very friendly and always there to help. The beach was lovely and clean but if the wind was blowing you got sandblasted also some of the sunbeds were very worn and needed replacing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!