“Amazing Aruba”

Playa Linda Beach Resort
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at the Playa Linda in Aruba. This was our first time to Aruba and without a doubt one of our top picks.
Weather was hot but breezy daily. Playa Linda was in a great location with a very clean room. It was a time share rental and what they call a studio, which is exactly like a typical Hotel room, but having a small kitchen fully stocked. The only disappointment was the Halls leading to rooms, they were very dated. but rooms were modern and very clean. Bathrooms granite and good size. elevator wasn't the greatest and again halls seemed like a disapointment for first visions leading to room. However while we were there you could witness updating in the main hotel area taking place and one floor getting all new beds so I'm sure it's a work in progress. The rest of resort was gorgeous. Lobby was open and pretty, everyone extreamly helpful and pleasent. Pool amazing and clean workers took pride on a daily basis. We also noticed the beach was swept clean of shells and twigs everyday, where as other facilities had nasty sand to walk on. Prices in Aruba were moderate to high but not as expensive as Bahamas or other various islands. The views from the balconies in the resort were also spectac!!!!
Sunsets each night were totally breathtaking. There was every type of water sport one could imagine at your feet to either side of the resort. Also a mile up the beach was quiet and nearly empty, if you took a walk. Playa Linda area seemed like the most low keyed and clean beach of all the area resorts yet just enough family oriented spot too. A must dining Resturant was right next door called the Pelican which jetted out on a pier near the boats. Very casual or could be even semi dressy if you chose. Walk in's were welcome but we made reservations and asked for an ocean view. We got exactly that. Brought to a table practically sitting over the fish, with nothing but a nautical rope separating us from the water and the edge of dock side tables where you saw many docked boats hovering out in ocean. While eating we could see the fish and sunset all in one. Just a Gorgoeus view along with excellent food!
If you are a beef eater, Aruba is for you. I am not and I had very little trouble finding seafood or chicken to eat. However, my husband is a huge beef fan and was in pure heaven with the taste of Steak and filet mignon to die for. He claimed it was second to none. All Argentinian beef and always cooked to perfection. No matter where we ate, he got his fill for the next ten years. Daniels was one of his favorites which also served italian dishes, I ate that and was pleasently surprised.
Other top choices were the Texas de Brazil which was all you can eat, various steaks, filet, lamb, ribs and chicken wrapped in bacon. came with a huge salad bar. It was 44.95 for all you could eat just amazing & worth every penny. We ate at a french place in front of Playa Linda, Le something??? they served your meal on a hot stone at night. all I can say is, AMAZING TASTE & I wish I could remember the name but again it's a small place in front of Playa Linda Resort. We ate breakfast and lunch there as well. Never to disappoint, plus moderate cost in comparison to some places. Tony Romas is also a choice for dinner that is near the marriot next door to our resort and Ruth Chris was in the marriot. Of course you also have Senior Frogs, Hooters, TGI Fridays and many other choices if you don't want to dine large. We recommend heading to the Local grocery stores when you first arrive and stock up on water, snacks, Waffels, eggs, lunch items etc. to save a boat load in cash, and then dine out at night.
Also a must know... I am a advid sunbather across many an island but this one is not to be understated. 30 block to 50 is a must till you get a solid base and even then think twice about the amount of sun time!! The sun is very intense. Bottom line, you will fry. We got up at 5am each morning to get ourselves a Hut or (chickie as they are called) we placed a tote bag under one and sat with coffee relaxing, snoozing and chilling till the sun came up! Then headed in by noon to shower and head out for various excurtions. Way to hot to lie still baking all day. We came back at 4:00pm and stayed out or under the chickie till sunset! OMG it was pure heaven. Water is clean and clear and swinmming mild, nothing for waves to take you under. We could stay out in the ocean all day.
Gotta say, Our favorite part of the trip was Renting Quads / ATV's in order to see a good portion of the island. Yes, Guys, they are street legal and very fun! I'm in my mid forties, a woman and had no problems at all. They were automatic so no shifting like a motorcycle They had decent pickup, we went upwards of 80Kil. which was about 50 and good enough for major terrain. If you are a wossy type girl, rent one and take the more breezy lighter tour to the light house but you will miss out of great sights. If adventuous and want spectac pics than take the Natural bridge and Natual pool, Wind mills and cave tour, Ask to see Baby Beach too!!!! The heavier terrain can be done and worth it! I say it was one way to get over to the other end of island aside from a boring jeep rental and breath taking views. We rented them from a guy named Pat that set up a booth on the sidewalk across the street from the resort ( playa Linda) in front of the Out door mall. He was pleasent and trust worthy. Worth the 100.00 a person for the day and we got a great tour guide named Lou. We also lucked out and were the only ones out with him so it seemed private. We saw allot and had a fantastic experiance. I'd give that experiance a top 10 rating from every trip I ever took, including seeing Kilowea semi erupt in Hawaii.
Get to Aruba if even only once in your life. I'd go back again and stay at same resort or at least another one very close by.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LynnNPhotos
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed August 5, 2011

This was our tenth trip to Aruba
5 times hyatt
2 times radisson
1 time aruba grand
1 time allegro
First time in the Playa linda
Had a studio on the first floor
Room was very nice ,clean and comfortable , but had one problem
Roaches!
Killed three and when told management about it all they said they can do is send someone to spray
Really ruined our trip
I now realize that food attracts roaches so i assume rooms with kitchens have this problem
I will never rent another timeshare again

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ladee_11
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Playa Linda had everything that we wanted. Check in was smooth. The 1 bedroom suite was immaculate. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, utensils, dishwasher and full size fridge. Housekeeping service was excellent. We had a great view of the pool area from the covered balcony and a partially obstructed view of the ocean through the palm trees due to the 2nd floor location. The pool and beach areas were meticulously maintained. There were plenty of loungechairs available at both areas and the "chickee" huts are available for free at the beach if you get there early enough. There were beach attendants and waiters/waitresses to serve us all day long. Directly across from the hotel are all the restaurants and shops you could need. Smokey Joes Ribs was the best place to eat. Unless you want to tour the island you really do not need a car. (there was a little renovation work going on around the complex. I guess it needs to get done sometime)

So to reiterate:
Very Fun

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Joe F
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Aruba and had a great time. The Playa Linda was a nice resort, but I agree that it wasn't 5 star. We stayed in a studio room timeshare with a full size fridge, two burners, microwave, sink, blender, toaster oven, pull-out couch, coffee table, small table with four chairs, the bed, and of course, the bathroom with a walk-in shower. My husband and I bought food to make because it can be quite expensive to eat out around the area. The room had been updated with new furnishings, but you could tell the room itself was old; there were a few spots where paint was chipping off the walls, and the bathroom door was rotting just a little bit at the bottom. In general, it was decent, though. The balcony was a decent size and had a pretty good view. The staff was pretty helpful when I asked them questions. The resort offers varying activities each day; I did the water aerobics and my husband and I played bingo one day. The lady that ran these activities was really nice. They also offer a lot of activities for kids and teens. The pool is not that big, but the beach area is nice. My husband and I really didn't have much of a problem getting a chickee as I know some people did. I don't know if it's because of the time of year we visited, or because my husband and I were late risers, but we were always able to find a vacant one. The location of the resort is great because there are many shops and restaurants around, as well as a mall. However, I have a feeling they jack up the prices, so I suggest going into Oranjestad to buy souvenirs and buy groceries to eat in your hotel room. Also, the grocery store isn't that close, so you'll need to catch a cab or take the bus. All in all, my husband and I had a great time and liked the resort, but if we go back, I'd like to check out another resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peacegirl80
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have visited Aruba 4 times and found the Island very nice to visit.
However, it seems that Aruba business as well as government has adapted the old 3 world country attitude. The rich American concept, food, and entertainment prices have grown to exceed those find in Big Island Hawaii. I learned that they feel in Aruba that we as Americans will pay whatever the cost simply because we are on vacation. Well all American’s are not rich nor are they un-educated to what things really cost. Lastly which is what prompted my comments, Playa Linda Aruba, this place looks like a dream on the outside. But the rooms are old and out dated, they turn the AC off one day during the week to save money, all while they charge you a surcharge for electricity. The front desk staff is very unfriendly if you have a problem with anything. They also charge more for daily fees then better resorts on the Island for less value. I was truly taken back with the fact that they tried to charge me $30 for a internet access, when it clearly stated online that it came standard with the room.
In short, take plenty money or food with you, and stay clear of Playa Linda.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Raulsv
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This was our 7th year back to Playa Linda. Its a timeshare, we do not own, we always book from owners. We tried visiting other hotels on other islands and also on Aruba and keep coming back here. Its just way to comfortable and relaxing....best part of the beach on the whole island...the best views, the best restaurants, calm waters, great friends that keep coming back, great staff, great coffee. Nothing over the top special about it, its just comfortable for families. We tried the Marriott up the beach, ugh it was like Disney world in Aruba, hated it. We like the Radisson on the other end but its very touristy. The Playa Linda attracts the same family crowd every year so when your kids make friends they meet up again the following year, forever:) There are families that have been going to PL for over 20/30 years and the kids are grown and still coming back!! That should explain it right there. Order a pizza, bring down cocktails and catch the sunset on the beach!! See ya next year PL!!

Room Tip: Pool is smaller than most resorts. Each condo has a full kitchen, we have only used the refrigerator...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank fly2play
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed at the Playa Linda Resort, June 19-26 in Unit 231 with a friend who has been staying there for years. The unit was in good shape. The only thing that needed work was the bathroom door needed to be adjusted. The unit was a one bedroom (could sleep five using the sofa bed and day bed) with an ocean view over the pool area. It was well outfitted and my friend fixed several meals in the kitchen. Had two flatscreen tv's and you can purchase wifi cards for use with your laptops on the property. There was also an internet access company in the lobby if you don't want to pack your laptop. My Blackberry worked everywhere on the property. All of the public areas were clean and well maintained and all of the staff was very friendly and professional. The pool and beach had enough ckickees (palapas) that everyone was able to find shade, if needed from the strong Aruban sun.The beach in front of the resort was beautiful and clean.

There are so many bars and restaurants in the immediate area that I will not list them, but here are a few. The Dunkin Donuts/Baskins Robbins right on the beach was terrific for early risers. Dushi Bagels and Burgers was great for a casual lunch. Azzurro Ristorante Italiano was fantastic the night we ate there. We liked Amuse Bistro so well that we ate there two nights in a row. If the chef has cherry ice cream on the menu, don't miss it! We also ate lunch at Cafe Belgium at the shopping mall nearby and it was good. My friends had dinner the week before at Texas de Brazil accross the street and said it was extremely good.

Since this is a condo property there were a number of families with children, but they were all well behaved at the pool and the beach. The week I was there, the crowd was pretty sedate, so if you are looking to party hard or hook up with someone, this is probably not the resort for you. It was perfect for us, a perfect "chill pill" vacation for the stressed professional. We sunned, swam, drank, ate and got really relaxed. Hated to leave.

We did a half day tour of Aruba with another friend and I have to say that for a desert caribbean island it is a beautiful island, very clean and well organized. Everyone spoke fluent English and accepted US dollars. I found it refreshing also, that no one tried to sell me anything on the beach or approached me to sell timeshares the entire time I was in Aruba. Hated to leave.

I flew from Dallas through Miami. I understand there is a flight from Houston every Saturday, so next time I will go through Houston.

Room Tip: All rooms have at least a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends