“Hotel was horrible, will never stay there again!!!!”

Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 23, 2004

We found ants all over the room. My husband and I returned a few days ago from our second trip to Aruba. Last year we stayed at the Amsterdam Manor and loved it!!! This year, due to my late planning, it was booked, so on the advice from people on the message boards, we thought we would give the Manchebo a try, since everyone had nothing but good things to say about it. Upon arrival, I was a bit let down, as it was outdated, old, and pretty ugly. I thought for a hotel that cost more than the Amsterdam Manor, it would have been nicer, but it wasn't. The first night we checked in, we found ants all over the room. As we started to unpack, and moved around the room, I started noticing little ants. They were on the floor in the bedroom, then I noticed them in the bathroom sink. Then, I noticed them on top of the TV center. Then, I went to take a shower and they were crawling out behind the shower wall. As I looked around, they were practically everywhere. I was not a happy camper. We phoned the front desk and the lady there wasn’t very helpful, she said she would send a maid, but that didn’t happen until 30 minutes and another phone call later. They didn’t seem to care that there were ants, they sprayed some bug spray and told us they couldn’t move us because there were no other rooms available. I was extremely aggravated, as the maids spoke no English and left dead ants all around the room. I told the lady at the front desk that I wanted to speak to a manager, she said one wouldn’t be available until the next morning. I have never had to deal with a hotel that was this dirty, workers who didn’t seem to care, and didn’t have someone on staff to make decisions. My husband and I proceeded to get to bed and tried not to think about the bugs. Then, the toilet started making an odd squealing sound that went on for hours. Apparently, there was no maintenance guy on duty that night either, so the lady at the front desk said she couldn’t fix it. This kept us awake the first half of the night. Then, to make matters worse, around 3:00 in the morning, the air conditioner started making this awful buzzing sound and wouldn’t stop. After 20 minutes of trying to fiddle with this odd remote control they had for it, we got the buzzing to stop, but then the entire thing stopped working and we had no air conditioning for the remainder of the evening. The next day, after getting very little sleep, I went down to speak to a manager. By this time, there were more ants back in the room. The manager sent another maid and a security guard to the room to check it out, as if they didn't believe what I was telling them. They had maintenance fix the air and toilet, but said they still didn't have a room to move us to. I explained that I didn't appreciate having to pay nearly $130 a night for a room with bugs. She said she would have her manager look into what could be done as far as reimbursement. We ended up spending a second night in the room, bugs and all. The next morning, I had the Operations Manager and yet another maid in my room. I swear, these people couldn't make any decisions on their own, and had to keep going to the people above them to try to get anything accomplished. Finally, they found us a new room to move to, which seemed to be bug free. After much arguing, we were given a refund for one of our four nights stay. In the end, the hotel wasn't anything we expected, we couldn't believe how old and ugly it was. The staff was not friendly or helpful. We actually saw bugs everywhere around the hotel. At the front desk, in the gift shop, at the bar. Now, don't get me wrong, we realize that this is a hotel on the beach, but I haven't ever seen or heard about this sort of problem at any of the other hotels on the island. I guess I am just very used to America, where the customer is always right. The last straw for me was when the operations manager actually said, "there are always bugs, get over it, you're in the Caribbean!" The only nice part about the Manchebo was the spa, which is brand new. I think the staff should be better trained to make decisions, etc. too. I find it interesting that before our trip, I had several questions about the Manchebo, and Edgar, the Director of Operations responded to them. Yet, when I asked to see him while we were there, I was always told he was un-available. I also tried leaving feedback on the hotel's website on thier feedback/comment form, but curiously enough, it doesn't work and wouldn't submit my comments. Guess they try to dodge receiving negative feedback all the way around!

12  Thank wtrowbridge
Write a ReviewReviews (2,585)

Reviewed October 21, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Manchebo for a week early October and found the place generally good in all respects. Staff friendly and helpful. Food quality was very good apart from the seafood dishes which were almost all deep fried in breadcrumbs...yuk. Drinks at the Pega pega bar were of poor quality, especially the cocktails which were vastly different each time dependent on who served them. Cocktails in the French Steak house however were very good and bore no resemblance to the ones served outside.

Accomodation was fairly basic although everything worked including the a/c and really, for the price we didn't expect luxury rooms. Patio door opened directly onto the beach which was refreshing of a morning. Beware the wildlife life, I almost trod on a three foot lizard first morning walking out of the room.

Booze... $4 for local beer (which is actually ok) $6 for imported, so not all that cheap. Cocktails $6-7 We were AI so didn't take much notice of other prices. Pega All Inc Plan is worth the money if you intend to eat there at night and have a few drinks poolside during the day. Beach is excellent, quiet and big. The water thereat is beautiful, a pure azure, lovely and warm.

We'd go back.

6  Thank Catmelodian
Richmond, CA
Reviewed October 17, 2004

Reviewed October 4, 2004

We arrived for a one night stay at the Manchebo on Saturday, October 2nd and was told that they overbooked the hotel. The reason was that during the rain from Ivan, their computers crashed and they lost their reservations. Several other 1-3 night customers were told the same story.

We were sent to the La Cabana resort down the street. It was nice but not what we wanted - large, 200 yds from the beach, etc. We did negotiate to for a free dinner at the French Steakhouse. The food was good but like other's experiences - it was a very long wait for the entree.

I asked the front desk after our dinner if our experience was typical - overbookings - and he said no. I have to wonder though - seems pretty careless for a hotel not to back up their computers.

Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank mdjammer
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed October 1, 2004

This was our fifth year vacationing in Aruba - first year at the Manchebo. We chose it because it is right on the beach, has an excellent restaurant, and has easy access to the parking lot. Accessibility is an issue for us and I asked for a room that was close to things so that too much walking was not required. Vivian gave us room 15 – an ocean view close to the lobby and the parking lot. It was perfect.

Our room had two very comfortable beds with lots of pillows, a table and comfortable chairs for lunching in, a ceiling fan, an excellent air conditioner, a small fridge, coffeemaker, iron (yeh, right), and hair drier. There is a safe in the closet and plenty of hangers as well. The bathroom vanity had more than sufficient space for toiletries and the shower was strong. The tub had six corner shelves for soap etc and a clothesline as well. We were quite pleased.

The resort is small – 71 rooms – with a wide beach, IMHO the best steakhouse on the island, and a good sized bar between the beach and the pool. There is a computer with free internet access in the lobby and a well stocked mini mart.

The resort has a beautiful new spa. We did not use the spa this trip but we met folks who did and they were very happy with the services.

The staff at the Manchebo is excellent – friendly and highly competent.

If you are looking for a small resort with a great beach this one is for you.

• Stayed: September 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed September 27, 2004

I stayed at the Manchebo resort from 9/6/2004 to 9/10/2004. First things first, the beach is INCREDIBLE. It's very wide with gorgeous powder sugar sand and beautiful aquamarine water with no crowds... best beach I've been to so far, perfect for relaxing. The room was ok, not bad but also not the best I've been in. The bar serves the best Pina Coladas I've ever had, perfect amount of sweetness and alcohol. There's a casino that's right across the street you can walk to for nightlife and also the only nighttime outdoor shopping area in Aruba (or so they claim) right by the casino for souvenir shopping. It's also relatively close to downtown so it's a short bus ride away.

Now the bad parts... be prepared to devote 1.5 to 2 hours each time you eat. The food service is sooooooo slow, not just in the Manchebo but it seems in general in Aruba. It would take 45 minutes to get our food and another 30 minutes for the servers to bring our check. It's not just us as well since I can see other diners staring into space waiting for food and service. The food is also just "ok", I was expecting great steaks at the French Steakhouse but it was just ok... none of it tasted fresh, certainly not worth the price they're asking, but if you do eat there, get the $29.99 5 course meal deal they offer, it's the best bargain. Room and front desk service was friendly and prompt though, but the dining service in Aruba is so terrible I doubt I'll come back.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3 mi away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
2 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Boardwalk Hotel Aruba
Boardwalk Hotel Aruba
#2 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!