“It's like coming home” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, New York, United States
“It's like coming home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nothing fancy, but oh my... it's like your favorite old shoe. The place is always clean and well cared for. I was happy to see that the rooms/bathrooms have been updated. Very pleasant and pretty. The staff is warm and knowledgeable. Best beach on the whole island. Do wish there were more huts and more responsive beach employees that made themselves more visible.... Everyone runs out at the crack of dawn to grab a hutch and it stresses me. I love this place and have been going there for over 12 years. Was there last February and can't wait to return again.

Room Tip: Beach front if you like that "living on the beach" feeling
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MONETWATERLILY
Edgar-Manchebo, General Manager at Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. Glad to see that Manchebo is like coming home for you. We certainly take care of the beach huts. Although we have over 50 huts for 72 rooms we will shortly be adding some more to make it all perfect. See you back next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

One of my coworkers and friends had told me about this resort. She had been there several times. So I finally decided to book it. We decided on the all inclusive package. I looked it up online to see the beach, resort, rooms etc. I had also heard how friendly and nice the people of Aruba were. But nothing prepared me for the the experience I had. My friend and I arrived late in the afternoon on a Friday. So we settled in and went for our first meal there, dinner at Ike's Bistro. There we met the greatest wait staff. Everyone was wonderful and friendly. Our favorite waiter was Jason. He was very funny and always had great recommendations for drinks and food. He would check and make sure you had everything you needed. Always very on top of things. He would pass by the table with a quick joke just to make you smile or giggle. The food was wonderful! We had a choice between filet mignons, chicken with fresh vegetables to various fish. The presentation was always exquisite. They also had wonderful desserts. A wonderful first experience. The next day we had our first breakfast also served at Ike's Bistro by the pool. We had the option of a buffet or ordering off the menu. Once we saw how wonderful the buffet looked we knew what direction we were going in. They had different types of fresh fruit, breads, bagels, a different type of egg everyday with potatoes and bacon and sausage. Also cold or hot cereals. You were greeted right away by one of the wonderful friendly staff. They took your drink order and by the time you were done getting your food and went to your table they were there with your drinks. We met the most wonderful waitress Ana Marie. She was so cute and friendly. Always so happy. After our breakfast we headed to the beach for the first time. It was the most beautiful beach I had ever seen! My friend at work that had told me about Manchebo had briefed me on how things worked. She said that when you walk out onto the beach someone will approach you to set up your lounge chairs. Well, that's exactly what happened. We were approached by a very friendly, handsome young man that asked if we needed chairs. He set up our chairs under one of their many umbrella huts they have throughout the beach and then introduced himself as Carlos. He told us if we needed anything to just let him know. You could see right away what a hard worker he was. After just a day or 2 we had developed a friendship of sorts. I saw the way he interacted with the other vacationers. Everyone seemed to know him. People were constantly coming up to him and shaking his hand or just saying hello. He never rushed anyone. Always took time out to talk to people. But never neglected his responsibilities. As lunch time approached we decided to take a break from the beach which was actually a hard thing to do. We walked the couple of feet over to the Pega Pega Cafe. It is a beautiful outdoor bar and grill right on the beach. As we approached a table, who was walking toward us? None other than our favorite waitress Ana Marie from breakfast. She remembered us right away. She gave us menus and took our drink order. They had a variety of wraps, paninis, salads and burgers. We had a wonderful lunch and then headed back to the beach to relax for the rest of the day. The next day we had a couple questions on things we weren't sure about. So we walked over to the lobby. As we came up to the front desk we were greeted by a beautiful, smiling, friendly woman named Sandra. She was so helpful and informative. She cleared up anything we were unsure of. She was very patient with us since we had quite a bit of questions about the location of different hotels or how to go about getting a taxi. Sandra always greeted us with a friendly smile and attitude. Right across from the front desk in the lobby was a little gift shop/convenient store. We figured we'd check it out to see what kinds of things they had. It was very cute inside and had a lot to choose from considering its size. The woman behind the counter said hello and asked if we needed any help. Over the next day or so we learned that her name was Lena. She was a wonderful friendly person that greeted you as if you were a friend. By the time the day came that we had to leave to go back home you felt that you had all these new friends that you hated to leave. We made our rounds and made sure we said good-bye to everyone we had met. Some we hugged as if they were long time friends. Others took time out from their busy day to take a picture with us. We left there with happy hearts and great memories. It was definitely one of the best vacations of my life.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank lorijeanw5
One of the best TripReviews I've ever read!

Needless to say Manchebo team is very pleased with all of the wonderful trip reviews on TripAdvisor as our mission is to offer a wonderful and relaxing Caribbean beach vacation on one of Aruba's dream beaches.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at lots of hotels in the Caribbean and visit many others in my work. Manchebo Beach Resort makes every effort to satisfy the guests. The hotel employs a mature crew who are well drilled, polite and professional. You will not find many things to complain about and the management was very responsive. There are some issues which are annoying, but you can circumvent them by making other arrangements. For example, there are a few birds that join you for breakfast or afternoon drinks at the bar. The birds go to bed at sunset, so dinner is enjoyable. The french steak house likes to keep the air conditioning at a low temperature, so you will need an extra layer. The fridge in the room is very useful, but it was only when I set it to minimum that it was quiet enough to sleep. The hotel scores on everything else. The room (12a) was excellent; well planned and comfortable. The beach is long and wide and you will get a comfortable shaded area with no disturbances at all. No noisy guests, no screaming kids, just glorious sunshine and the sea. Walking on the beach was very enjoyable, but you must be careful when entering the sea and keep your eyes on the waves. I visited many neighbouring hotels for breakfast and dinner. The food in Aruba seems to be catering for a neutral person who does not like too much flavour or spices and was not exciting. However, they do enjoy steel drum music and you can hear this at some resorts. The trips were good, despite the fact that I got into some trouble with a hobi cat 16 and capsized about half a mile from the beach. I hope to return to Aruba because I like the people; even at the airport. The officials were polite and professional.

1 Thank bigsands
Appreciate your feedback on your recent Manchebo visit a lot. It is nice to read you rate us as one of the best hotels in the Caribbean. We love to please and surprise our customers with a wonderful Caribbean vacation experience each time they return and look forward to welcome you back from London some sunny day in the future.
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had such a great time at the Manchebo in Feb. 2012, we returned again this year for another great week. We arrived Feb. 2nd for a sun filled week and great it was! The staff at Manchebo was so helpful and took care of our every need. The beach is the best on the island, with no areas crowded with people. We reserved our rooms for 2014 before we left!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. No better compliment for us than guests who return to our resort and who make reservations before they depart. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back for another sun-filled week.
Freeport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

First, let me say that I researched this trip to Aruba for days before choosing Menchebo.
Secondly, I do not revisit the same island; I believe there are so many places to visit in this world. Aruba is by far the friendliest place I have visited, and I have millions of (actual flown) miles with Delta.
The accommodations are great if you are looking for a beautiful un-crowded beach, a small intimate hotel and clean rooms. After two days you will know the staff my name, and they will recognize you as well. Sandra at the front desk was like a good friend by the time we left (our stay was for 6 nights 02/12 – 02-18-2013). Fanny at the bar has the best attitude and the greatest smile when speaking about anything. Lincoln will make sure you drinks or food supply is look after while you are on the beach, no need to get it yourself. The bar is fun and has live “local” music in the late afternoon / early evening. I’m glad I did not do the all inclusive plan, food off site was worth the $20.00 (R/T) cab fare to the High-Rise Hotel area. Too many great restaurants to list, however, one MUST go to Hostaria Da` Vittorio, the best Italian place ANYWHERE. I can go on and on, but I recommend you just go!

Room Tip: Room 60, ground floor away from beach and bar very quite for a good noght sleep!
1 Thank Jim D
Appreciate your great review. So much for doing your research and TripAdvisor is a wonderful tool and glad you found the right place. I am certain you are going to break your habit of not visiting a place twice. I have seen many guests trying different islands but they always get drawn back the the One Happy Island to make the Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa their second home away from home for year to come!
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I prefer the boutique resort with less activity and fewer guests to compete with over a place in the sand so this was ideal. Upon first arriving I was concerned as this property looks like an old motel. It's a 2 story building with exterior doors to each room, not unlike a Motel 6 in the states. However, once we set foot in the lobby, saw the beach, and got in the room my concerns were immediately dismissed.

Manchebo isn't swanky, not at all fancy, more like simple and understated, very comfortable, clean. The staff were awesome! I've stayed all over the Caribbean and the staff here was the best I've encountered.

Beach is absolutely gorgeous and what I've often sought in a Caribbean resort. Sugary white soft sand, wide beach with lots of room, and that turquoise water. Was in Punta Cana and Turks last year and this beach and water were by far superior. Ahhh....

Oh, and if you like good meals you'll like Manchebo. We're big on eating great meals with good bottles of wine yet we ended up staying on the resort to dine 3 out of 5 nights. Just weren't compelled to leave that often looking for better.

My only ding on the trip: We left a gold heirloom necklace on the bed at checkout. About half way to the airport we realized it was missing. I called the hotel and spoke to a couple of managers including the housekeeping manager. The room had been stripped and I was told they couldn't find the necklace. We got back and dug through the luggage just to make sure we hadn't accidentally packed it and it's not here.

I did receive a call back today from a manager saying they continued to look and it's not there. I have to give credit where it's due, at least they called me back to follow up. Again, as said before, the staff are wonderful. I'm just disappointed. We know we left it and it's gone. You'd like to think that whomever found it would turn it in but unfortunately that hasn't been the case. We even offered a reward and still nothing.

Should we just accept that if you leave something behind in a Caribbean resort you can't expect to ever see it again? I hate to think that.

I will return to Aruba, probably try Bucuti which is right next door next time. It's still very boutique feeling yet a little nicer overall. If I didn't have the bad taste in my mouth about the necklace I'd probably just settle in with Manchebo next time but it's just one of those things...

Room Tip: 2nd story middle of building. We had rooms 42,43, and 45. Loved the view of the grounds from the r...
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WaltG677
Thank you for your kind review. I will make sure to share your wonderful comments to our resort and restaurant staff as they love to hear from their customers.
I am sorry that your necklace never turned up. Our team turned the rooms upside down including the linen carts and were unable to retrieve the necklace. Often guests misplace their valuables and then they turn up in their suitcase when arriving at home. Unfortunately this time the necklace never showed up.
Nevertheless we expect you to return to our resort as our team will do its utmost to make it a perfect Caribbean vacation.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my first trip back to Manchebo and Aruba in 25 years, the last time I was only a small child.

Myself and my girlfriend had an amazing time, the staff are hands down the most friendly on the island, the resort itself is great. The only problem being that not enough "palm huts" and having to run out every morning at 645AM to beat all the other residents.

We didn't eat at Ike's but French's twice, one of them Valentine's. To say the food is exceptional would be an understatement. We were told that El Gaucho was the best steak on the island. Well this is not the case. French's was hands down the best we had on the Island and the French Onion Soup was exceptional. We could not more highly recommend French's to dine!

The rooms are good size, have a fridge & microwave along with providing a small but very adequate cooler to bring to the beach. The bathrooms have multi-head showers and are designed very well. The whole layout of the hotel is just right and you can tell that this was built first and on the prime location of the beach as it appears space was not an issue when building and the white sandy beaches at the Manchebo are the best on the island.

We stayed from Feb 12-19, the weather was perfect, the service was so friendly, and the island left a massive impression with both of us and we hope to return sooner than later. Would not recommend staying at any other place on the island other than Manchebo. Many thanks for bringing back some great childhood memories and help making new ones. Henry and Sharon

Room Tip: sea view is not needed as so close to the beach
1 Thank Henry L
Thank you so much for your nice review and glad to see you found paradise! Our team continues surprise our customer's expectation and look forward to welcome you back next year for some more of the paradise feel ...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,315 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,551 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,608 reviews

Been to Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!