This review is a belated one as I stayed at Manchebo Beach Resort in August of 2008. However, it left such an impression on me that I can clearly remember all the details as if it happened yesterday.
Manchebo Beach Resort is located on what I feel is the best beach on the island with soft white sand and clear blue water. Unlike the high rise hotel area a few miles north, the Eagle/Palm Beach area is much quieter and more relaxing. Thus there probably aren't as many 'things to do' like jet ski rentals, parasailing or other activities available in the immediate area(although you see them passing by in the water). But for me the quietness was what I was after and you can find activities at the high rise district and towards downtown Oranjestad.
I was first given a room on the second floor on the left side of the resort facing the beach with a balcony and a nice view. For some reason I cannot recall after one night they moved me to room 19 on the bottom floor near the ice machine and I liked it much better. No balcony obviously but a sliding glass door that led right out to the beach area. The rooms were a good size and clean, though not 'high end'. More like a lazy beach bungalow type feel, but definitely adequate and comfortable. Internet access is available with reasonable speed and price.
Lizards!!! They're all over the place. I left my door slightly ajar and a tiny Geico looking lizard ran in and was running all over the room. I opened the sliding glass door and he eventually scrambled out. Some of the lizards are pretty good sized and mostly just hang around. I never tried to feed or pet them and do not know if it is recommended.
There is good dining at the resort, including Giorgio's(veal parmesan, pescatore) and the French Steakhouse(seafood crepe, french onion soup). Be advised that tips are automatically added to your bill at some(maybe all) of the restaurants. Check your receipt to avoid double tipping. For my splurge nights I went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse(iceberg lettuce, petite filet mignon, berries w/ cream) at the Marriott in the high rise district and L.G. Smith's(lobster thermador) at the Renaissance downtown. There is a Dunkin' Donuts located in the parking lot of the Manchebo Resort for a quick snack.
Fitness facilities were minimal in a small but clean room. I had a more thorough workout at the Divi Phoenix Resort located about a mile or so towards the high rise district (about $10). The Marriott has an outstanding fitness facility but is only open to Marriott guests.
Downtown Orangestad is just a 10 minute bus ride from the hotel, and the high rise district is about 15 minutes in the opposite direction. The bus stop is conveniently located across the street from the Manchebo Beach parking lot.
Based on more recent reviews, it seems Manchebo Beach has undergone some remodeling and updating. If so, then this can only improve what is already a fantastic and relaxing getaway spot. I look forward to staying again someday and enjoying the improvements. If you're goal is quiet, vegetation and relaxation the Manchebo Beach Resort is the best bet on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ultimate Caribbean vacation experience begins at our intimate, 2-story boutique resort located on the shores of majestic Eagle Beach, an ideal place for romantic and rejuvenating getaways. The Deluxe Ocean and Deluxe Garden View Rooms offer attention to details and amenities, including spa-like bathrooms offering a rain/waterfall shower. The wellness experience includes a beach-side exotic Caribbean-Balinese style spa offering a variety of massages, body treatments as well as yoga & Pilates classes and fitness room. Optional premium fully a-la-carte all-inclusive program available featuring Ike's Bistro, The Chophouse and Omakase Sushi Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manchebo Beach Resort And Spa
- Manchebo Beach Hotel Palm/Eagle Beach
- Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa Aruba/Palm - Eagle Beach