“Ok.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Walworth, Wisconsin
“Ok.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was our 8th trip to Aruba, and our first time staying at Amsterdam Manor. We have previously stayed at Bucuti, Tara Suites, Renaissance and Manchebo. Although Amsterdam was ok, we would not return. I booked a 2 bedroom suite only because that was only room with a "distant ocean view". The view, unfortunately was blocked for the most part by a large concrete wall. There were chaises and a table and chairs on the balcony, but basically un-usable unless you enjoy sitting within a small concrete box. The gentleman who helped us with our bags stressed that we do not turn off the air conditioning and that the room needed to be kept cool at all times. Signs are also posted next to every thermostat with the same warning. I quickly learned why....extreme condensation. I hate air conditioning and come to Aruba to be warm! We left Wisconsin for a reason! But, if the thermostat was set higher than 75, there would be a thick layer of condensation on the floor. Pretty much wore flip flops the whole time in the room because the floor was always a little damp. No dehumidifiers I guess? The room was clean, and the kitchen was handy, although a bit dated. There is a stove, but no oven, so options are limited for actually cooking meals. Housekeeping was ok, although not consistent. There was trash already in the trash can upon arrival, which I know isn't a big deal, but you kind of expect a clean room. One day we were given only 1 washcloth between 2 bathrooms. Coffee was not replenished so we had to buy a cup of black coffee at Mangos for $3! Our room also backed up to the maintenance area, so we were awoken every morning at 7am to the sounds of shoveling ice and other equipment, as well as staff conversing with each other. The staff overall was pleasant, but not overly friendly. The concierge may not always be up to date on events as we asked about the Bon Bini festival and Carrubian festival which she gave us dates and times and locations for, however neither were actually going on while we were there. We asked about renting a car and this particular concierge seemed hesitant and almost annoyed to help us with this, saying "It's very hard to find a car during the high season". But in the end she did find a car for us. The worst experience at Amsterdam was the beach situation. The beach itself is nice, which is one of the reasons we decided to try this resort, however the attendants were downright rude. Our first morning on the beach, he ignored my husbands attempts to get him to unlock the chairs, which for some reason are all locked up to the palapas. When he finally did help (very reluctantly) he "assigned" us to a palapa that we did not want, informing us that all the others were taken (they were all empty). We had to obtain our own towels and sun beds. The same thing happened the next day, so on the third day my husband asked him what the deal was, and why we couldn't sit under the empty palapas closest to the ocean. The attendant then went on a tangent about how much he hates his job and what hard work it is and how he doesn't get along with the other attendant. After he vented he told him that the "reserved" palapas are for the "regulars". Well they weren't very regular....one day pretty much the entire front row was empty until mid-afternoon! Not very fair to the beach goers like us who are out there at 8am. Other beaches we have been at in Aruba have been first come first serve and that's that. One afternoon we left our chairs for 90 minutes for massages, when we got back our stuff had been removed and new people were there! One evening we stayed to watch the sunset on the beach with a bottle of wine. We were having a lovely time until, literally within seconds of the sun setting, the attendant came to lock up our chairs. Talk about a mood killer! I didn't know chair theft was such a problem in Aruba. So the whole thing just didn't make sense and made the beach my least favorite. The beach bar had good food and drinks, but the bartenders always seemed upset and fighting amongst themselves, spilling over into rudeness towards customers. A lot of tension, which is not enjoyable to vacationers. We did eat at Passion's on the beach which was very nice (we had eaten there in the past) although the food was not quite as good as other restaurants. I do give Amsterdam kudos for allowing us to stay in our room an extra 2 hours before checking out and heading back home. So, in the end it was ok, but not a place we will return to next year.

4 Thank Jenny J
AMBRManager, Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience and giving us the opportunity to improve ourselves. Your comments regarding our facilities and services are addressed to the managers in charge and we’ll be taking action to correct these issues to prevent this in the future.
Your experience does not reflect the experiences of our other guests and I regret that you have not contacted me or my staff about your disliking's. We would have been able to address them or could have made a reservation at another resort for you as we have a “worry free guarantee” which means you may cancel or check-out anytime without penalty and/or charges.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Billerica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Just returned from a one week stay. I will start by mentioning the positive. The good: The beach was beautiful and easy to get to, the staff was great especially Juan (the friendliest person there) Mira the concierge was very nice and helpful, front desk was professional. The beds and linens were clean and comfy, Check in was a breeze (nice welcome punch) and the A/C was a 10. Now, for the not so good: The Flies were unbearable ( I can't believe no one has mentioned this before) I wouldn't have never stayed here if I heard about this issue. They were all over our beautiful balcony ( I think our room was near a mop closet or something very gross) I couldn't even enjoy my morning coffee without being swarmed. Also, they were in Mangoes-couldn't/wouldn't eat there after one flew in my drink and died. All over the bartenders at passions, didn't even seem to bother them. They were always cleaning and scrubbing the resort so I didn't get it, but something was clearly wrong. ok you get the idea (enough). Palaypas and chair pads-I don't know if it was especially busy but you DID have to play the palaypa game, had to get up early to reserve and the early morning worker was very unfriendly. The rooms: I had a 2 bedroom, the room was very nice and our housekeeper did a great job making it look pretty and clean but I have to say they must be using dirty water to mop (I like to walk barefoot while on a tropical island but my feet were black after walking on the tiles, after seeing that I wouldn't take my shoes off-not good. Hot water was an issue-kitchen sink didn't have any. Also, the showers are only closed on one side so the bathroom gets soaked. All in all we had a great time, but I only write this so the necessary improvements will be made to make it a better place to stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor away from housekeeping.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mlccBoston
Thank you very much for your feedback and sharing your experiences and giving us the opportunity to improve ourselves. We’re sorry you had to experience the uncomfortable situation with the flies. Your comments regarding our facilities and services are addressed to the managers in charge and we’ll be taking action to correct these issues to prevent this in the future.

We do hope to see you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Lesson learned... I did my research on trip advisor on the hotels in Aruba for my 1st stay and chose AM. I have travelled extensively around the world, stayed at the brand name hotels... AM is not what it is on TripAdvisor. DO not be fooled... The SUPERIOR ocean view studio (what ocean view???) was very narrow/small, rather dark, and uninviting. Every room of this kind is on the ground floor and inevitably faces the road and everything that comes with it (noise, traffic, etc) before the beach. KNOW that this hotel is not on the beach front.
The swimming pool is small, non heated and square. The superior ocean front studio lay out is very inefficient. You bump into the BED once you open the front door (there in not a 2 feet distance between the front door and the queen bed). The floors are out of light colored tile and are mopped daily. You know those big mops and dirty water... used by custodians in the government/big buildings in the US. Anyway, if you plan on taking your shoes off - the floor is dirty. PERIOD.
Hot water... Is there circulating hot water??? You will have to wait awhile for it to get hot, and then it get REALLY hot; so watch out if you are taking a shower... The kitchenette is OK, nothing special...
The SMELL; yes, it is there... It is a small island; but NO excuses... for a BOUTIQUE or ANY hotel for that matter, to be built close to the sewage plant. Common.... If you want to avoid this stay at the hotels away from the Eagle beach shore… Check the Google Satellite...
High speed internet....It is not high speed even when it works.

For the price of a 4-5 star hotel it is a motel. Go with the Brand name you trust, although it rates lower on Trip Advisor (at least you know what to expect)... It is a mockery of a "resort." Aruba is not the place to go if you are looking for a nice, less crowded beach.... Moreover, if it is your 1st stay, DO not go with AM; unless you really do not care about privacy, room quality, and are not willing to pay for anything less than a SUIT. Yes, that all applies to AM

Rating POOR based on the price charged and services provided.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LisaMine08
AMBRManager, General Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Lisa,

I agree with your factual statements that AMBR is located across a secondary street from Eagle Beach, the swimming pool is not big, square and not heated. Aruba’s average year around temperature is 89 degrees Fahrenheit so none of the pools on Aruba are heated for that matter.

Jurgen van Schaijk
Managing Director
ribecky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here from January 6th - January 13th. The reservation staff was absolutely amazing and accommodating with switching our reservation when our flights were cancelled due to the snow storm that had disrupted flights in New England. They changed our reservation from Sat-Sat to Mon-Mon with no fees at all and the same room type/same price. I couldn't ask for anything more! Thanks so much! Once we (finally) arrived we were greeted by smiling, happy staff and a delicious welcome drink. Since we are repeat guests (we stayed here for our honeymoon in '07) we also were given I Love Aruba t-shirts as well. Our room was wonderful (Superior Studio) and we loved our Jacuzzi and patio area. We also LOVED the blender (lol) and having the kitchenette and fridge in our room. The beach (Eagle Beach) is without a doubt the most beautiful beach in Aruba and (in my opinion) in the world! It is very low key and you can almost always find a chair under a palapa. The beach bartenders are great (Angie, Mark and Allen) and totally made our vacation even better. You can't beat the 2 for 1 Happy Hours! We also really enjoyed Passions on the Beach (toes in the sand restaurant at AM). The ambiance is amazing and the food and service is wonderful - our favorite restaurant in Aruba. The concierge Mira was also wonderful in helping us with our restaurant reservations and activities. Thanks for a wonderful vacation - we look forward to the next time we are able to stay with you guys!

Room Tip: Splurge for the superior studio - you will get an ocean view and a Jacuzzi tub - totally worth the u...
Rozenburg, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Last Christmas we visited with family of 15 persons in four different apartments. Clean rooms in low-rise buildings. Nice small swimming pool and good restaurant. Relative quiet and beautiful beach across the street. Perfect location with shaded chairs, fine sand, a marked out swimming part of the sea, beach bar/restaurant and a fantastic sunset view. Excellent work from staff for arranging all of our excursions, even to the Christmas lights of Seroe Preto. It makes for us: Aruba, a happy island.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We were very pleased with the Amsterdam Manor Hotel. The cleanliness was outstanding. Beds were as comfortable as home. Kitchenette had all the basics to make breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The maintenance of the hotel was remarkable. It seemed as though there were more staff than guests. One day, while sitting on our patio, one of the staff was cleaning up some of the palm trees. He came over and gave us a coconut, opened it and we drank. In the evening, two staff came by to make sure we had enough towels, soap, etc. and gave us a chocolate treat! Kids love this.
Grocery store within walking distance, however, we had a car which was handy as there were 4 who wanted different items and we ended up with two giant bags worth of food. Might have been hard to walk back with the groceries.
Eagle Beach, just across a small street, had the finest sand and the water was appropriate for the kids to wade, swim and snorkel.
Because I have trouble with stairs, we were able to get a room on the ground floor. Just right for me and with a view of the beach!! Believe? it was #103B.
Have to add that the attention to detail was evident in the care of all the interior and exterior buildings. I look at the care of the property and this hotel rates a 5.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our family had 2 of the 2 bedroom suites and one of the honeymoon suites - the rooms were large, comfortable and the kitchens were well equiped for our needs. We appreciated the less crowded low-rise resort vs. the larger high rise properties. Even though we were there during Christmas week, we were able to get chairs and a palupa to enjoy the beautiful beach. The hotel is convenient to the well stocked Superfoods. The front desk staff helped secure taxis which arrived quickly & we also made use of the bus which stops right outside the hotel. We also walked to the Palm Beach area.

Most of the staff was helpful and friendly. The cleaning staff did a great job & were very friendly, the concierge, bellman, front desk staff and hotel manager were professional, friendly, responsive to our needs & helpful. The only staff that missed the mark was the bar staff at the Passions Beach bar so after one attempt we avoided that bar & enjoyed the Horizons happy hour.

The internet worked well and some of our group used the laundry facilities. Overall, a great choice and I certainly recommend this hotel and Aruba.

1 Thank SF94597
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,678 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,810 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,307 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!